Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Feriowind
Mar 22, 2009

But how does it taste?
:haw: Well I drew this a couple days ago too, of Cecil and Kevin's meeting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Feriowind posted:

Any chance you can do one of Vanessa and her double making a new shelving unit?

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

I am waiting for the day someone makes crossover fan art of a Cecil-and-Carlos scene where instead of Carlos from Night Vale it's CARLOS DANGER

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.
I have never in my life been so excited by placing an order for a shirt.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Was it established that the Desert Bluffs people have empty eye sockets or is this just a popular fanart meme?

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

if you start with drums, you have to end with dynamite.

DoctorWhat posted:

Was it established that the Desert Bluffs people have empty eye sockets or is this just a popular fanart meme?

Almost nothing that the fan artists have collectively decided things look like come from our descriptions. We just don't spend much time visually describing characters.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

maxnmona posted:

Almost nothing that the fan artists have collectively decided things look like come from our descriptions. We just don't spend much time visually describing characters.

I thought so. It's a good decision, from a production and storytelling standpoint.

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

I'LL PUT MY SCIENCE IN ALL OF YOU!
I think its from how Cecil described Kevin's eyes as solid black.

Yo, imma blob
Apr 29, 2007

have you any wool
Do you think all of these collective fandom decisions will influence you guys in any way regarding the writing?

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

Yo, imma blob posted:

Do you think all of these collective fandom decisions will influence you guys in any way regarding the writing?

No.

BooDoug187
Apr 8, 2005

Don't you fear the yetis in Rio?

Feriowind posted:

I thought of Kevin (just by voice) would wear like a sweater vest, something like Mr. Rogers.

I also imagined Cecil having glasses.

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

Just ordered my T-Shirt. I'll be eagerly sitting by the mailbox until it arrives.

Tres Burritos
Sep 3, 2009

Thank loving god. Just keep doin' what you're doin' and leave the crazies to their own devices.

Yo, imma blob
Apr 29, 2007

have you any wool

I'm really happy to hear this, though a lot of the fanart is neat.

Hang on Sloopy
Dec 15, 2006

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me

Awesome. The best part of Welcome to Night Vale is how succinct all the weirdness is, leaving so many details of the story to the imagination of its listeners.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

Hang on Sloopy posted:

Awesome. The best part of Welcome to Night Vale is how succinct all the weirdness is, leaving so many details of the story to the imagination of its listeners.

Speaking of which, where did the "Cecil has a third eye" thing come from?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I get the feeling Desert Bluffs looks incredibly clean and tidy like a 50's or 60's sitcom. Perfect lawns and everyone is super friendly and polite, even the town drunk has never hurt anyone he's just that rascally guy. The blood that was everywhere was just from a super bad wound caused while building that shelving unit.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

A pretty good gag would be for Cecil to say "And now, the weather", actually talk about the weather for 30 seconds - a minute, then say "And that was the weather. And now, the weather" before moving onto the weather song.

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

President Ark posted:

Speaking of which, where did the "Cecil has a third eye" thing come from?

Possibly from the Night Vale logo, where the moon is an eye? I do recall early artwork of Cecil having that moon eye logo on his forehead, and it kinda just went from there.

alana
Sep 2, 2011

Len posted:

I get the feeling Desert Bluffs looks incredibly clean and tidy like a 50's or 60's sitcom. Perfect lawns and everyone is super friendly and polite, even the town drunk has never hurt anyone he's just that rascally guy. The blood that was everywhere was just from a super bad wound caused while building that shelving unit.

And the animal viscera making up the sound board was just an accidental misdelivery from the butcher's shop?

Tjadeth
Sep 16, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion
VOLUNTEER
:nyan:

Wedemeyer posted:

Possibly from the Night Vale logo, where the moon is an eye? I do recall early artwork of Cecil having that moon eye logo on his forehead, and it kinda just went from there.

Another was the idea that he must look in some way inhuman for the villagers in Europe to react to him with such horror. Combined with the idea that he has some all-seeing power that allows him to react to the news as it's happening, you get the third eye idea.

Don't ask me about the moving tattoos, though, I have no idea about that one.

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

The author is dead and everyone's interpretation of that scene is valid, but the intention of that Europe scene wasn't that Cecil was horrifying to look at, but that that's just what citizens of that country look like and how they regularly act.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.

maxnmona posted:

The author is dead

That sounds enough like an intro line that I automatically read it in Cecil's voice. "The author is dead.. and the police know it was you. Welcome to Night Vale"

Prettz
Sep 3, 2002

I've made it to the Wheat and Wheat Byproducts episode and I keep cracking up every single time he says "wheat byproducts". It's seriously killing me.

Tjadeth
Sep 16, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion
VOLUNTEER
:nyan:

maxnmona posted:

The author is dead and everyone's interpretation of that scene is valid, but the intention of that Europe scene wasn't that Cecil was horrifying to look at, but that that's just what citizens of that country look like and how they regularly act.

And I quite prefer that perspective, because one of the things I love about that episode is that it marks horror and surreality as something that isn't exclusive to Night Vale. Like, Europeans can theoretically wander into enclaves of madness as well. Or that was my take, at least.

Just something I've seen bandied about among fanartists as a rationale for drawing the third eye. :shrug: I'd personally like to see more fanart from that episode--I've been picturing the citizens, with no evidence whatsoever, as Lovecraftian fish-people...

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

alana posted:

And the animal viscera making up the sound board was just an accidental misdelivery from the butcher's shop?

Like Cecil wouldn't exaggerate?

Fantastic Alice
Jan 23, 2012

So WHAT the hell happened on Valentines Day?

Also is the fact no one tried to make Carlos their valentine and thus got him killed(or whatever the hell happened) a semiconformation of him not exuding some "perfectness" aura or anything and it's just Cecil squeeing over him for normal reasons?

President Ark
May 16, 2010

Len posted:

Like Cecil wouldn't exaggerate?

Cecil seems like the kind of person who'd more than likely understate something. If anything, the room was probably much, much worse than he described. :gonk:

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

I think I was born to burn
I've been listening to Welcome to Night Vale since it was posted here and it's weird coming across fan art for it now.

Brownview
Oct 15, 2012

Nothing in this world can take the place of a power rack

Golem II posted:

I've been listening to Welcome to Night Vale since it was posted here and it's weird coming across fan art for it now.

I don't really care about fan art but seeing that picture and not having any idea what it's about is exciting, because it means I get to listen to all the episodes again for missed content.

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

I think I was born to burn

Brownview posted:

I don't really care about fan art but seeing that picture and not having any idea what it's about is exciting, because it means I get to listen to all the episodes again for missed content.

Episode 8 - The Lights in Radon Canyon

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

What shall we do with him? A permaban, perhaps? Probate him for a few years? Or...shall we employ a big red custom title? You, the goons of SA, shall decide his fate.
There's one theory I really like: Desert Bluffs is a completely ordinary town. The entire world is like that, filled with people oblivious to the wrongness around them. Night Vale is the least wrong town in the world. By acknowledging the weirdness (except for that shape in Grove Park), they can manage it. So Desert Bluffs would seem nice, clean and wholesome if you went there, because where you are right now is exactly as bad.

BiggerJ fucked around with this message at 11:33 on Jul 27, 2013

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

I hope it's never openly stated where Night Vale actually is. I've taken to thinking this lovely desert town is in a place no lovely desert town should be. Like the wilds of Canada. Just forest, forest, forest, desert.

Protagorean
May 19, 2013

by Azathoth
Eastern Washington. :iiam:

Ockhams Crowbar
May 7, 2007
Always the simplest solution.
Huh. It's interesting, seeing all the fan art and how people visualize these things.

I always pictured Cecil as a black guy. I'm not sure why.

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

Speaking of Cecil, he finally has his own public internet presence, so go Like it or whatever

https://www.facebook.com/CecilEdwardBaldwin

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
We've learned a tiny bit about Blood Pact and Eternal Scout rankings, but I'm more curious about the requirements and duties of the Dreadnought Scouts. Also, once in a rare while, I mishear the Desert Flower Bowling Alley & Arcade Fun Complex as "... & Arcane Fun Complex", and I have to wonder if I really misheard, and if so, which was the mishearing :tinfoil:

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

What shall we do with him? A permaban, perhaps? Probate him for a few years? Or...shall we employ a big red custom title? You, the goons of SA, shall decide his fate.

Archenteron posted:

We've learned a tiny bit about Blood Pact and Eternal Scout rankings, but I'm more curious about the requirements and duties of the Dreadnought Scouts. Also, once in a rare while, I mishear the Desert Flower Bowling Alley & Arcade Fun Complex as "... & Arcane Fun Complex", and I have to wonder if I really misheard, and if so, which was the mishearing :tinfoil:

Arcade game:

Arcane game:

Reset Button
Jan 25, 2011

I just started listening to this today, and I'm already on episode seven (I would be further but I had to go to class :sigh: LEARNING) Thanks for such a great series, I absolutely love the atmosphere, and especially that so much is left up to interpretation. I won't delve into the thread until I've caught up but it will be interesting to see how much the interpretations of others line up with or differ from my own.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

wow

http://yougotvexed.tumblr.com/post/56999996413/so-much-better-than-that-desert-bluffs-place