Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Dr_Amazing posted:

What was the correct response here? Just refuse to do the paper or accuse the teacher of inventing some guy?

If I'm doing an assignment with literally one source of information, I've got to use it no matter how poor it is.

He didn't point them to the article specifically, just made sure it was on Wikipedia. The point was "you probably shouldn't believe everything you read on Wikipedia." A cursory glance at a list of French kings found in an encyclopedia or a history book would've revealed the absence of Louis the XXIII, prompting further research and eventually an email to the professor saying "I think you are mistaken, there is no such king." Instead, everyone just ran to Wikipedia.

This sort of thing sounds shady, but if I were going to make a mistake like that, I'd rather make it as an undergrad than in my career later in life--far cheaper to fail an assignment than to get laughed out of a job or hurt your company's reputation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SPACE HOMOS
Jan 12, 2005

Vegetable posted:

Science students coming into a humanities or social science class and saying, "All this is bullshit". I find it almost overly kind that my instructors say "Refine your argument" rather than "You're dumb as poo poo." To be fair this phenomenon isn't contained to science students, but I've had a strong taste of it in my History of Science class. They really do not take well to the idea that plebeian things like language and culture influence the way scientists do science.

On the flip side of this, humanities students complaining about any science or math class.

Double May Care
Mar 28, 2012

We need Dragon-type Pokemon to help us prepare our food before we cook it. We're not sure why!

To illustrate how community college is an elementary school for adults, the communications building at mine needed to post signs that say "Student: Please Remember to Flush" in all of its bathrooms, including the unisex.

Someone crossed out the word "students," probably because they thought teachers should be blamed as well.

Then someone wrote in "mutants" underneath. In a unisex bathroom. :cripes:

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

Hummingbirds posted:

I agree with you; I had to take an environmental ethics class for my degree and the teacher was so loving pretentious despite being an adjunct not much older than most of his students. The basic premise of the class was that we were supposed to learn that animals have an intrinsic worth equal to that of humans (and other, lesser animals) so one should act accordingly. My problem was that you can argue about the sanctity of the lives of food animals all you want, but if you are inside a classroom feeling good about your ethical superiority rather than lobbying against factory farms, you aren't helping poo poo. I don't even think the guy was a vegetarian since he seemed to take it personally when I suggested that cutting meat out of one's diet for one day a week doesn't help reduce demand for meat (or eggs or dairy) on any sort of appreciable scale.

By the way, I'm not a vegetarian, just pragmatic. Tl dr I do not like philosophy classes. Or philosophy professors.

I have an environmental ethics class right now. I wrote a paper recently where I argued that humanity's instrinsic value lies in it's intelligence. The professor wrote on the paper "prove this". I went to his office, on the fifth floor of a building on an artifical hill, and pointed out to him "We are literally standing on an enormous pile of steel and concrete, built upon an artificial hill, overlooking miles of asphalt and houses constructed of the dead flesh of other living things, and you're going to argue with me that humanity isn't smarter than other species?"

Motherfucker gave me a B+ on the paper :unsmith:.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

A White Guy posted:

I have a philsophy class as part of my science major. I had to sit in class today and watch a video where some woman (who's apparently written some philosophical poo poo on the environment) talked about how if we just lived with 'natural' things, everything would be better. While she was wearing a polyester windbreaker. :cripes:

I'm beginning to see very clearly why Francis Bacon dedicated his life to empiricism. This is a bunch of metaphysical crap.

Whenever people try to whip out that old gem I just remind myself (or whoever is saying it if I'm actually talking to them) that arsenic is perfectly natural. Along with methane, cancer, and snake venom.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
gently caress Exams.

E: Also gently caress any exam with an essay portion.

E2: Also gently caress Footnotes

Thank you for your time.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN
My biggest college complaint was when dudes would show up to the house without ratio and bitch and moan when they didn't get in

Chemtrailologist
Jul 8, 2007
True or false questions that make more than one statement that contradict each other.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

A rookie mistake; multiple choice veterans will know that the answer is always the question.

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

BattleMaster posted:

A rookie mistake; multiple choice veterans will know that the answer is always the question.

Not as bad, but I rememeber one online question I had (for some kind of intelligence/personality test, I dunno) was "Who was the US President during WW2?". There were two (FDR and Truman), fortunately Truman wasn't on it.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Justin Godscock posted:

Not as bad, but I rememeber one online question I had (for some kind of intelligence/personality test, I dunno) was "Who was the US President during WW2?". There were two (FDR and Truman), fortunately Truman wasn't on it.

I assume the answer was FDR then? that's funny, because I primarilly think Truman when I think of WWII

DONT TOUCH THE PC
Jul 15, 2001

You should try it, it's a real buzz.

paragon1 posted:

Why do teachers think it's okay to vandalize Wikipedia just to catch plagiarists? I mean, more than just students use Wikipedia.

I actually heard about a college professor that gave students the assignment to improve articles about their field on wikipedia.
I like that approach a lot better than the destructive "watch me vandalize wikipedia to make a point" malarkey that's just harmful in the long run.

There's enough examples out there without having to resort to vandalism.
Besides it makes you look like you have a bone to pick with wikipedia/the internet and not with shoddy information, information literacy and research skills.

Then again, that's my pet peeve as a librarian. People who are putting too much trust in books and refuse to trust digital sources.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

IndustrialApe posted:

I actually heard about a college professor that gave students the assignment to improve articles about their field on wikipedia.
I like that approach a lot better than the destructive "watch me vandalize wikipedia to make a point" malarkey that's just harmful in the long run.

There's enough examples out there without having to resort to vandalism.
Besides it makes you look like you have a bone to pick with wikipedia/the internet and not with shoddy information, information literacy and research skills.

Then again, that's my pet peeve as a librarian. People who are putting too much trust in books and refuse to trust digital sources.

you should really treat any book as wikipedia, people write and publish dumb opinions all the time

DONT TOUCH THE PC
Jul 15, 2001

You should try it, it's a real buzz.

Austrian mook posted:

you should really treat any book as wikipedia, people write and publish dumb opinions all the time

Yeah well, that's pretty much my life's work nowadays, teaching people on how to do proper research.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

IndustrialApe posted:

Confirming I had an assignment to do exactly this while working on my master's. The real value of wikipedia for research is the links at the bottom of articles.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

I wondered if I would ever get both the first final exam of the term, and the last. Tomorrow, 9 a.m., and April 24, 7 p.m. Boo.

Hummingbirds
Feb 17, 2011

One of mine is scheduled for several days after the term ends. I'm not sure how that's allowed.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
Well, I stayed up all night studying for a final I need to ace to pass the course. I'm so tired, I don't even care if I passed anymore.

HOW COULD YOU
Jun 1, 2006

The man in black fled across Middle Tennessee, and Pierre followed.

Cythereal posted:

Confirming I had an assignment to do exactly this while working on my master's. The real value of wikipedia for research is the links at the bottom of articles.

And the pictures.

Some people make some wonderfully detailed figures for wikipedia. I use them with no shame.

PutinOnTheRitz
Oct 25, 2010
Noticed 2 errors on the formula sheet for my Quantitative Genetics exam tomorrow morning. It's been 3 days since I pointed them out on the discussion board and the professor has yet to comment on it. (He won't respond to emails, all questions must be asked on the board)

Heads, I do the exam with the formula on the sheet. Tails, I do it the way the textbook says to do it. Either way I am going to lose several marks on the whole thing because I never write out every individual calculation step in my work (I learned BEDMAS like 15 years ago, don't make me show you I know which steps come before others over and over again)

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
God I have hit the meat grinder this week Physics II test tomorrow, Bio 112 test Tues along with a lab that involves writing a report, Wednesday is doing a video practice of my Undergraduate Research project, Thursday I need to nearly be done with my oceanography paper. Then next week I have to present my Research Project in front of my peers, teachers, parents and alumni without turning into a pile of nervous gibbering goo :smithicide: Oh and I have to write a paper for that which can hopefully get published. Fun times for this senior!

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

Good luck! I'll be in your shoes in about 4 months. :ohdear:

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Public speaking isn't that hard. Just focus on what you're saying and talk louder than you would normally. Maybe stare over people's heads if eye contact causes too much anxiety.

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!

paragon1 posted:

Public speaking isn't that hard. Just focus on what you're saying and talk louder than you would normally. Maybe stare over people's heads if eye contact causes too much anxiety.

Look at people's left ears. Every time you move your field of vision look at an ear. You're never looking directly into someone's eyes so you don't feel weird but you appear to be engaging the audience.

:spergin:

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum

paragon1 posted:

Also, try and speak just slightly slower than you would normally. This stops you from sounding like you're really nervous about speaking as well as making it not sound like one long run-on sentence, and it also gives the people who're listening a better chance to actually hear what you're saying.

I hate public speaking but I'm not half bad at it because I had to do a lot of it in high school getting roped into student council stuff.

Razorwired posted:

Look at people's left ears. Every time you move your field of vision look at an ear. You're never looking directly into someone's eyes so you don't feel weird but you appear to be engaging the audience.

:spergin:

And do move your field of vision, somewhat often. Every 2 sentence or so is about right I find, depending on the length of what you're saying. If you just stare at one person('s left ear :v:) or one area, people will think you're singling them out, so keep your eyes moving, but by the same means don't change it too often, again it makes you look nervous.

Orthodox Rabbit
Jun 2, 2006

This game is perfect for empty-headed dunces that don't like to think much!! Of course, I'm a genius... I wonder why I'm so good at it?!
I will throw in some more public speaking stuff since I had to do plenty of it. If you have a power point or something similar, don't look and point at it while talking about it. People love to do that and it looks terrible. Try to be comfortable enough with your material in such a way that you don't have to memorize a speaking script to get through it. You will probably lose your train of thought at some point so being able to ad lib your stuff is important. If you do lose your train of thought don't make a deal out of it, just start your thought over and pick up from where you left off. Also try to move/walk around a little, use your hands, etc. People love to stand completely still or nervously fumble with things. Moving around and such looks so much better.

Hope these helped!

e: This is not so much for public speaking as it is for if you have slides you are showing during a presentation. Do not throw everything you have on slides and then just basically read what is on them. In most cases if your audience is trying to read your slides instead of listening to what you are saying you have messed up. Keep your slides simple and they should help emphasize what you are talking about. Also please don't throw up entire pages of numbers/data onto slides and then talk about it. Either use a printout that you can tell people to reference if they are interested or have your slides be simple summaries of the data. A page that has several lines of '% increases/decreases across these years' and some green/red up/down arrows thrown on is infinitely better than a page of numbers. Your audience will quickly get the gist of what you are about to talk to them about from your slide and then will be able to follow along with you easier.

Sorry for so many words about presentations but most people make them way harder than they need to be.

Orthodox Rabbit has a new favorite as of 18:36 on Apr 14, 2014

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Just stare right into someone's eyes. Let them know that you know all their secrets.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

When you're giving your talk, no one in the audience knows what you're supposed to say. If you don't use the exact word you rehearsed or jumble the order of something just keep going and don't worry about it. No one will even know you messed up your plan. This is something I see people stumble over a lot. Also, it's okay to stop for a moment and refocus if you need a second or three.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

pandaK posted:

Just stare right into someone's eyes. Let them know that you know all their secrets.

Yeah, it's important to establish dominance in the opening moments. If they get really antsy you may need to hold them by the scruff of their necks and keep them penned. Don't let them go through doors before you, and make it clear that things happen when you want them to happen. This means your puppy will learn to...wait, what thread is this again?

Seriously though, I had a teacher who would write up these long rear end summaries of our book chapters in word and literally just read that off the projector as his lecture. It was the most boring thing. Still not the worst instructor I ever had. All my teacher's have known the trade and/or skills they were supposed to be teaching me but man oh man were some of them lousy at actually teaching it.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

paragon1 posted:

literally just read that off the projector as his lecture

I've had so many goddamn professors do this poo poo :argh:

Then, if you don't show up, you get berated for "blowing off class." I wasn't blowing it off, sir, I just didn't want to hear you read to me from the textbook for two hours!

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
One other thing about public speaking is that relying very heavily on notecards looks very, very bad. It can be handy to have a notecard or two to remind you of what order you want to say stuff in, especially for a long speech, or to jot down numbers you can't seem to remember, but don't outline your whole speech and stare at your cards the entire time. It makes you look like you're terrified of the audience.

I had a speech class in college a few semesters ago and I can't count the number of people that most of the time just stood up there, still as a scarecrow swaying slightly in the breeze, staring at notecards like they were pretending the audience isn't there. To make matters worse it makes you look unprepared.

Appearance when you're giving a speech matters quite a lot. People will judge your speech based on their perception of you. If you look afraid or unprepared the reaction will be extremely negative. It doesn't matter if you rehearsed it ten hours a day for a month if you just stand up there and stare at notecards. It isn't to say some papers and notecards is bad just don't stare at them.

Anyway, in that particular class I got piles of better grades just because I never used a single notecard in a speech, ever. My attitude is that if I don't know enough about a topic to just walk up there and talk about it for X amount of minutes I don't know enough to deliver a speech. If I feel like I don't now enough then I don't and it's time to go learn more things.

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006
Some people have mental conditions and all of the tricks in the world aren't going to make standing in front of a group of people and talking any easier. Beta blockers can be pretty helpful and Xanax works for some people. Or if you're poor and in the US, a nip of gentleman's vodka can help calm the nerves.

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬
A couple of years ago my university changed its enrolment system and for a while it was really buggy and incomplete and many students had problems. I found that I couldn't get the system to recognise the subjects I needed to enrol in and that I would have to contact someone to finish my enrolment. The previous semester this had meant that I had to go into uni, fill out a paper form, and have someone manually enter the subjects into the system.

Before heading into university, I checked my student email, the online notice board, the student centre website and every other university webpage I could think of, just in case this was something I could deal with from home using the internet. Finding nothing, I went into uni, went to my student centre, and stood in line for about 25 minutes. Once I got to the front, the guy handed me a loving memo with a URL on it, telling me to go back home and use the online form to complete my enrolment manually. I asked him why this information was not emailed to students or made available in any other way, so that I wouldn't have had to waste time and money coming into uni, and all he said was "I don't know." I remember being pretty annoyed.

To add to the annoyance, at the time the university, or at least some of its faculties, was doing some inconvenient and really inconsistent paper-free policy, but for some reason they thought it was necessary to print out HUNDREDS of copies of a 3 sentence memo ONLY accessible after making a trip into uni instead of just emailing it to people and minimising waste...

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Ariza posted:

Some people have mental conditions and all of the tricks in the world aren't going to make standing in front of a group of people and talking any easier. Beta blockers can be pretty helpful and Xanax works for some people. Or if you're poor and in the US, a nip of gentleman's vodka can help calm the nerves.

Years ago, a friend of mine with autism and severe anxiety discovered that if he got Cheech & Chong-level high before speaking in public, he was calm and eloquent as all hell. I thought for sure that it was all in his head--I imagined him being a stuttering, panicked mess, but I sat in on a speech he gave one time and I'll be damned if he wasn't Captain Smooth. He was confident, knowledgeable, and could ad-lib and field questions like he'd been in public speaking for decades. This same guy, when sober, would get spitting mad and go on stuttering, red-in-the-face-mad rants about why Cloud Strife was the best videogame character ever and all other characters sucked.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Ariza posted:

Some people have mental conditions.

If you're in the US it's called a complete failure to have students regularly practice public speaking at any point in the K - college education. A few months of serious practice can get most anyone to a level of comfort to manage their nerves. Most everyone thinks public speaking should be easy to do because it's just talking but speaking well is just as difficult as writing well. I'm sure most people would be equally terrified of and terrible at writing if the only practice we had was writing once or twice a year.

Astrofig
Oct 26, 2009

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

I've had so many goddamn professors do this poo poo :argh:

Then, if you don't show up, you get berated for "blowing off class." I wasn't blowing it off, sir, I just didn't want to hear you read to me from the textbook for two hours!

My brother's psych professor is apparently an actual, licensed clinical psychologist---yet he says she reads her lecture off of notecards and ignores questions that are asked. I had another who would put up the lecture notes online and then proceed to read them off the board. That was the entire lecture; he had nothing else to add.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

College complaint: the bl*ck fraternity made fun of me while attempting to practice stomping the yard

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

tbp posted:

College complaint: the bl*ck fraternity made fun of me while attempting to practice stomping the yard

Dude, you know you don't gently caress with the block frats

Hummingbirds
Feb 17, 2011

I hate when people giving presentations have unusual verbal pauses. I don't notice "um" or "so" but I'm watching a girl give a presentation who's chosen verbal pause is "of course." It's incredibly distracting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

College complaint: feminist club keeps doing slam poetry about rape at all hours which keeps me away when i am trying to sleep.

• Locked thread