Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
Edit: Update on previous page

Thanks for the LP of one of the souls games that I can't play because gently caress buying a console for one game.

Do you have any specific plans for those future LP's you've mentioned you plan on starting? Since you are pretty good at souls games(at least compared to me), I'd be interested in seeing somebody competent go through Lords of the Fallen, the eastern european pseudo-souls game.

Edit 2: and have a happy new year as well!

Asehujiko fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Dec 30, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weavered
Jun 23, 2013

Brilliant LP. I'm too looking forward to whatever game you choose to do next!

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Asehujiko posted:

Thanks for the LP of one of the souls games that I can't play because gently caress buying a console for one game.

It's not as bad of an idea as it used to be. In 2017 it'll be getting Persona 5 and the FF7 Remake, and if you're mainly interested in Souls-like games there's going to be Nioh as well, of course. Not to mention PS4's being cheaper now that the Pro is out.

quote:

Do you have any specific plans for those future LP's you've mentioned you plan on starting? Since you are pretty good at souls games(at least compared to me), I'd be interested in seeing somebody competent go through Lords of the Fallen, the eastern european pseudo-souls game.

That is not likely to be a game I'll be covering. I've tried to go through it a few times and always stopped early on due to the general jank and the frustrating slowness of it. Whatever I do go with next will probably be Souls related, shocking I'm sure. I have a few ideas I'm bouncing about in my head, one of them being DarkMaus, a neat little Dark Souls inspired game that hasn't gotten too much attention.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

How about Salt & Sanctuary?

Besides Lords of the Fallen it's one of the only games to crib very heavily from Souls games and do it right. Sure, it's in 2D, and there's no map option, but it's extremely well-executed. Even has the whole "piece together lore from bits of flavor text thing." Including the giant level-up skill tree, in which every single node has a different fragment of a story, which is impressive. (The bottom-right one is a fragmented tale of a paladin wiping out a great evil with all her willpower).

I love Salt & Sanctuary.

One of the neater things about it is it merges Souls' covenants with the save points, the titular Sanctuaries. It affects your replenishable health item (for some creeds it's wine, for some it's magic water, and for the atheist Iron Men it's just a very hearty roll of bread) and also what merchants and trainers sell. You offer up these little effigies to the sanctuary and a merchant moves in, based on that creed. A creed based on poison will have more poisonous weapons and spells, for example, and the Iron Men almost totally focus just on weapons and offer fewer spells. The various vendors also affect the region they're in; a blacksmith will increase your weapon strength in his territory, for example.

Speedball fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Dec 30, 2016

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Oh I'm quite a fan of Salt and Sanctuary. I do want to do an LP of that at some point, but it's been a while since I've played the game so I want to go through it once or twice more to reaffirm my knowledge of the game.

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

Excellent LP Genocyber. I'm doing my first proper attempt myself and just beat Rom which is a huge achievement for me since I'm loving terrible at this game.

Bobfly
Apr 22, 2007
EGADS!
This has been great, Genocyber. I really enjoyed your LP; it was very thorough, informative and entertaining, and I have actually started playing FROMsoft games again because of it. I look forward to seeing what (if anything) you'll do next.

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

Yeah, thanks, this was very well done. Where's your accent from? It makes for pleasant, easy listening with your informative tone.
Not having a PS4 aside, it's good to see what can really be done with the game given its high base difficulty and skill ceiling. And no need to apologise for any "work ethic" issues, real life always takes priority over internet, and time spent relaxing isn't wasted as it's kinda necessary to stay sane, in my opinion.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

Crazy Achmed posted:

...time spent relaxing isn't wasted as it's kinda necessary to stay sane, in my opinion.

Great username/post combo.

But also very true.

midwifecrisis
Jul 5, 2005

oh, have I got some GREAT news for you!

Once more echoing praises for this LP. Thanks Genocyber! I'm currently getting the bug to play this game back... probably doesn't hurt listening to Bonfireside Chat's Bloodborne coverage, either.

I don't look at the main LP forum all that frequently anymore, can you post a link to the next official SA LP you start in this thread?

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Crazy Achmed posted:

Yeah, thanks, this was very well done. Where's your accent from? It makes for pleasant, easy listening with your informative tone.

I'm a MAsshole but my accent isn't really indicative of that so :shrug: Got no clue

Backup Oboe posted:

I don't look at the main LP forum all that frequently anymore, can you post a link to the next official SA LP you start in this thread?

Sure.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Thanks for the LP, OP.

I could never get into Bloodbourne for various reasons, but this allowed me to get the experience and see what everyone was talking about. Well done.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

I enjoyed the LP quite a bit, it was a nice way to experience the game not owning a PS4. So, thank you.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

As another non-PS4-owner, I'd also like to thank you for this LP. I especially appreciated your thorough and complete approach to showing off as much of the game's content as possible.

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

victoria concordia crescit
I have a PS4, but after completing Demon's Souls and Dark Souls 100% I don't have the appetite for playing these games on my own anymore. I enjoy watching LPs of them (I would recommend IGgy IGsen's LPs of the Dark Souls games), though. This was a really well done LP and I was really disappointed when I caught up after initially finding it because I just kept wanting more (except the chalice dungeons because those don't seem fun at all). Great job!

RVT
Nov 5, 2003
Fantastic LP. I appreciate all the prep work and the lore tangents and the editing. I've avoided Dark Souls LPs because I keep telling myself I'm going to play through them, but this was perfect.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
Hey Genocyber, just wanted to say thanks for the LP. I just finished my first playthrough of BB and I used your LP as sort of a supplement to my run, watching as I completed areas and it was really fun and informative. I'd definitely watch more LPs from you!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Since a few people requested that I do so, here's a link to my new LP thread, for Salt and Sanctuary.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3808095

• Locked thread