Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

tane

oddium fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Dec 20, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

victoria concordia crescit

Blockhouse posted:

the one minkman we've seen for sure though was sheep themed

I'm pretty sure the only minkman we've seen was the one Chopper was looking for. The people chasing the Strawhats on Zou were part of Kaidou's crew, as evidenced by his emblem on them, and while they're definitely animal-themed they're not necessarily minkmen. We don't know anything about minkmen except that one appears to be a mink-human hybrid. There have been a lot of characters thus far that have had both animal and human characteristics and I don't think they're all minkmen.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Oh, they do have Kaido's mark on them

I'm super dumb!

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

TriffTshngo posted:

Vivi owns though????

Nah. She has a cool duck though so there is that.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Currently in the middle of Alabasta right now so I'm gonna need to ask you to clarify cause so far Vivi seems pretty dope.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
Like Vivi's great but I do think not having her join the Straw Hats permanently was the correct decision. Robin's weird quirkiness is a better fit in the long run.

Advice
Feb 17, 2007

Je veux ton amour
Et je veux ton revanche
Je veux ton amour
I don't wanna be friends
Vivi was kind of a pain, her shtick wore itself out pretty fast. She got out at exactly the right time.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
I'm watching the anime as my reread. I just got past loguetown. Is Dragons power weather? Or was it all coincidence

Scratchman Apoo
Mar 27, 2011

Blockhouse posted:

the one minkman we've seen for sure though was sheep themed

Sheepshead was almost definitely a sheep zoan. Either Brook or Sanji directly said something about his "ability."

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Yeah, I definitely don't think Vivi should've joined the crew, but I didn't think she was a bad character while she was around.

Advice
Feb 17, 2007

Je veux ton amour
Et je veux ton revanche
Je veux ton amour
I don't wanna be friends

Scratchman Apoo posted:

Sheepshead was almost definitely a sheep zoan. Either Brook or Sanji directly said something about his "ability."

Yeah he's in Kaido's crew so he's almost definitely a smile zoan.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

RC Cola posted:

I'm watching the anime as my reread. I just got past loguetown. Is Dragons power weather? Or was it all coincidence

It's been 16 years since that happened and the answer is: Nobody has any idea what is up with Dragon.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

TriffTshngo posted:

Like Vivi's great but I do think not having her join the Straw Hats permanently was the correct decision. Robin's weird quirkiness is a better fit in the long run.
This is true but Robin's so criminally underused these days that it barely seems to matter.
Like, if you introduce so many goddamn characters in an arc that a bunch of the main crew have to be disappeared from December 2013 to whenever they showed up again, maybe cut down on those ancillary characters a bit? Maybe if the Strawhat armada or whatever is that vital you don't need to introduce that many of them in one arc?
Still not done with Dressrosa tho, so what do I know. Only a couple more seeming-climaxes from the actual climax I think. It's simultaneously super awesome and super exhausting.

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747

TheFallenEvincar posted:

This is true but Robin's so criminally underused these days that it barely seems to matter.
Like, if you introduce so many goddamn characters in an arc that a bunch of the main crew have to be disappeared from December 2013 to whenever they showed up again, maybe cut down on those ancillary characters a bit? Maybe if the Strawhat armada or whatever is that vital you don't need to introduce that many of them in one arc?
Still not done with Dressrosa tho, so what do I know. Only a couple more seeming-climaxes from the actual climax I think. It's simultaneously super awesome and super exhausting.

I think Oda has just become so obsessed with "bigger fights! more EPICNESS!!!" he's crossed into Epic Fatigue. It's like how the guy who made the Fire Emblem series had just the right amount of characters and story for FE4, but when he made Tear Ring Saga afterwards, he stuffed so many characters and exposition and crap anyone who actually played that game just couldn't care about the story anymore.

I feel that's the same sort of situation with One Piece: people like CP9 and Thriller Bark because they hit that epic "sweet spot", but Marineford and Dressrosa (in addition to their pacing issues) tried to cram too much of that in at once.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

RC Cola posted:

Yeah he probably has a weather fruit. Some people think he might have a Dragon-Dragon fruit style: Eastern that can control weather but I think that's too obvious for Oda to do. Dragon is his actual name afterall, not a nickname so it doesn't necessarily relate to his powers.

RatHat fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Oct 2, 2015

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

I'm wondering what the hell Ceasar's purpose is gonna be for the rest of this arc. I thought for sure he'd end up getting ditched one way or another somewhere in Dressrosa or captured by Big Mom so the Straw Hats could escape, but I didn't expect him to outlast Doflamingo of all things

What's your end game here Oda, color me curious

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Kerning Chameleon posted:

I feel that's the same sort of situation with One Piece: people like CP9 and Thriller Bark because they hit that epic "sweet spot", but Marineford and Dressrosa (in addition to their pacing issues) tried to cram too much of that in at once.

Marineford was amazing, people that don't like it are poo poo.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Boogaleeboo posted:

Marineford was amazing, people that don't like it are poo poo.

AfroGunsou
Dec 8, 2009

:yeah:

Cat Machine posted:

For people disappointed that Weeble is a shichibukai - keep in mind there's two other new slots too, with Law and Doflamingo out of the frame (though I have a feeling the shichibukai might be on the way out in the story's future). Plenty of room for SERIOUS GUYS.

Shichibukai shortlist:
- The guy with the propeller hat from Orange Town
- Gin
- Gaimon
- Foxy
- Paulie
- Wiper
- Starfish guy
- Yeti Cool Brother #2
- The marine from the G-8 filler arc
- The Corrida Colosseum announcer
- The guy who asked Gold Roger where he buried the treasure

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Parrotine posted:

I'm wondering what the hell Ceasar's purpose is gonna be for the rest of this arc. I thought for sure he'd end up getting ditched one way or another somewhere in Dressrosa or captured by Big Mom so the Straw Hats could escape, but I didn't expect him to outlast Doflamingo of all things

What's your end game here Oda, color me curious
The 10th crew member. :) The ultimate redemption story. Every pirate crew needs a master of biological and chemical warfare, right?
And hey, who didn't like those "grudgingly working together with the good guys" Caesar moments early on in Dressrosa.

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

He tortured children for years, ain't happenin' bro

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Parrotine posted:

He tortured children for years, ain't happenin' bro
The. ultimate. redemption. story.

I'm down with the clown, man. He's a gas. Sure, he turned those children on to the delightful world of adderall ten or eleven grades or so early, but hey- (I don't have anything to add here).

Only if he makes the stache a reality though.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

finally his time has come

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

If he can make it work, do it Oda.

I'd rather have him than Jinbei, the most boring character in recent memory. That's right you wolves, I'll fight every last one of you over my words, don't hold back now

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Parrotine posted:

If he can make it work, do it Oda.

I'd rather have him than Jinbei, the most boring character in recent memory. That's right you wolves, I'll fight every last one of you over my words, don't hold back now
I'll be even more controversial and say I prefer Jinbei to Brook. The Strawhats already had comical characters, a pervert, a swordsman, etc. And I find Jinbei's backstory, dreams, motivations, flashback story, etc. far more compelling and interesting than Brook (whose narrative arc/development is basically already fulfilled and just wants to at some point in the future meet a whale whose location everyone is already completely aware of and he also just does bone puns, okay fine I guess...I like when the other crewmates bully him at least). He's also had more cool and relevant moments throughout the series/world than Brook, who was mostly just relevant for Thriller Bark and Laboon.
I like Jinbei's straight man role. I completely get why people would find him boring, but I like the whole Yakuza of the Sea motif. It's a necessary one when so many of the Strawhats are becoming exaggerated versions of their one-note running gags (even if that may just be because they often don't have as much screentime and only get one panel to do some signature poo poo), like I guess Robin was the straight man and maybe Zoro kinda was sometimes??, but we could use someone like Jinbei as the comedic straight man for all this goofiness to bounce off of. Similar to Law's role in Dressrosa except I don't really want Law in the crew.
They really need some sort of fishman, I think, even if it's not Jinbei (Dellinger? :3:). Affirmative action, maaaaan.

Punkin Spunkin fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Oct 2, 2015

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
someone mod him into pw3, please

Millions
Sep 13, 2007

Do you believe in heroes?
My one curiosity about Law's crew is what role Jean Bart is going to play. It was such a neat moment at Sabaody when Law recruited the newly freed JB, I'm hoping Oda has something planned for him within the Heart Pirates.

This chapter was a perfect example of what I love about One Piece, though. Weeble is hilarious and frightening, and Zou raises so many questions and possibilities. This arc is going to be awesome.

Advice
Feb 17, 2007

Je veux ton amour
Et je veux ton revanche
Je veux ton amour
I don't wanna be friends
What's next? We need a Longlegs? This is a slippery slope, my friend.

Jinbei is boring, Fishman Karate is boring, Caesar is trying to hide out in that picture, Kinemon fully controls the clothing they wear, and he has opted for a giant flowing robe that says GAS GAS on it. I can't remember if that's just what he wore on Punk Hazard or not.

And you make it sound like the guy had eight-year olds on the Rack, giggling as they wailed. He was doing science, dammit. Can't make a giant omelette without hooking a few toddlers on speed. You want our enemies to develop this poo poo before we do?

Caesar Clown did nothing wrong.

Millions posted:

My one curiosity about Law's crew is

WHERE THE HELL THEY ARE AND WHY NOBODY SEEMS TO CARE. Even Luffy doesn't wonder where the talking bear is?

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Advice posted:

And you make it sound like the guy had eight-year olds on the Rack, giggling as they wailed. He was doing science, dammit. Can't make a giant omelette without hooking a few toddlers on speed. You want our enemies to develop this poo poo before we do?

Caesar Clown did nothing wrong.
Exactly. The Strawhats need the Saddam Hussein of the Seas.

Or I hope at least the World Government makes a Wernher von Braun deal with him so he can be the next new Shichibukai alongside Pappug and Weeble. That poo poo's like a dream team.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
whoa advice what the gently caress you got against longlegs

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe
Caesar clown is there to backtalk vegapunk when they get to him and call out all his bullshit. also to be the usopp to the second crew/chopper's foil.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

TheFallenEvincar posted:

Or I hope at least the World Government makes a Wernher von Braun deal

For all we know that couldve been Vegapunk.

Oda did a real good job with Vegapunk and the void century, making them really mysterious. Will of the D (*snerk*) not so much, it feels ham handed.

I wanna know just who the hell is Vegapunk, and how come everyone met him save the strawhats.

Rigged Death Trap fucked around with this message at 10:37 on Oct 2, 2015

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
The crew and Caesar should just forget he was being held hostage and he should become part of the crew entirely through complacency.

Star Platinum
May 5, 2010

I will literally cry tears of joy if this happens. It's such a perfect setup and would be Oda's ultimate masterstroke, I can almost see it happening.

Scratchman Apoo
Mar 27, 2011
Look at you guys using his immature pre timeskip design :rolleyes:

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

I don't know why I didn't predict that Zou would be somehow related to elephants. It's so obvious now, especially when I realize that Funkfreed's fruit is the "Zou Zou no Mi".

TheFallenEvincar posted:

I'm down with the clown, man. He's a gas.

:rimshot:

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Hitlersaurus Christ posted:

This is what a mink looks like:

A lot of you seemed to be having trouble with this, hope I helped

I feel bad for you. You're still waiting to see a fishman.

After all, this is what a fish looks like:

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?
The term "Fish" can be used in a much broader sense that Mink... Just saying man.

Amorphous Blob
Jun 26, 2009

by Lowtax

(and can't post for 2 years!)

Minky d luffy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Baal posted:

The crew and Caesar should just forget he was being held hostage and he should become part of the crew entirely through complacency.

This would be the greatest thing that could possibly happen. They leave Zou, Caesar is helping Chopper make some medicine, then Zoro walks in and says "wait, aren't you supposed to be our enemy"?