Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Atarask
Mar 8, 2008

Lord of Rigel Developer

DatonKallandor posted:

They made that. It was CnC 4. People hated it.

But I agree the carrier power shunting system is one of the things that is really cool and should be in every Homeworld game.

DoK does feel like what C&C4 was going for. That was a case where the hyper hard counters weren't fun, but here it seems to work better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dalaram
Jun 6, 2002

Marshall/Kirtaner 8/24 nevar forget! (omg pedo)

General Battuta posted:

I would KILL for an idle workers counter

There is one, isn't there? I could swear there is a button to select idle harvesters

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
I bet there is! I will look it up and press it constantly.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

There is, it's down near the middle of the screen over the unit overlays. The game seems to be unable to decide on what it considers "idle," though.

I'm sure there's a hotkey as well.

Dukka
Apr 28, 2007

lock teams or bust

General Battuta posted:

I bet there is! I will look it up and press it constantly.
F3, and the resource dropoff toggle is added to the cruiser's command bar.

Crazy Ferret
May 11, 2007

Welp
Finally beat the game! Just in time too cause X-COM2 is friday and lord knows everything is getting pushed to side for that.

I really like the logo reveal, and the musical queue at the end of the game. Very cool and more evidence of the great eye for detail in this prequel. The soundtrack is fantastic as well.

I can see now why my thoughts about adding infantry units to the game was misguided. The scale and size of the ships, especially towards the end of the game when its Cruiser vs Cruiser brawls, is just incredible. A handful of grunts would just get lost/instantly vaporized. While selecting units is a bit of a pain and using the abilities is difficult in the massive brawls, its incredible to watch the giant fleet battles play out. I just wish that the fleet groups would move together a bit more as I was regularly having to move by support cruisers back into position to repair as they would lag behind too much.

Still, I'm super excited to see what's next from BBI and the Homeworld universe.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Mordja posted:

Kagaan did nothing wrong.
She truly is a desert rose.

The Expedition Guide add on is also amazing. Just a really pleasantly surprising great game.

Flipswitch fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Feb 4, 2016

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
If you have the Expedition Guide you can see people standing next to the vehicles for scale. The carrier is 568m long and even the LAV is 12m. Infantry would've been completely lost at that scale. They also would have been completely slaughtered in the open. Maybe if they had a really niche role like riding around in APCs and garrisoning wrecks. Otherwise, they'd be pointless.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
fucking stupid, dont listen to me

Safety Factor posted:

If you have the Expedition Guide you can see people standing next to the vehicles for scale. The carrier is 568m long and even the LAV is 12m. Infantry would've been completely lost at that scale. They also would have been completely slaughtered in the open. Maybe if they had a really niche role like riding around in APCs and garrisoning wrecks. Otherwise, they'd be pointless.

Now I really want to do a LAV rush over some Gal infantry formations...

Crazy Ferret
May 11, 2007

Welp

Safety Factor posted:

Yeah, I avoid the Expedition Guide til I was done with the Campaign, lest something get spoiled. I flipped throughout it last night and saw how big things were in reality, so to speak :v:. Rachel's Baserunner has wheels that are twice or three times as tall as a person, and I imagine at that point she could fight infantry just by driving around and running over them. It would like trying to fight a giant moving warehouse.

I made that comment when I was still in the early game, where its mostly LAV and Skimmers fighting, and infantry seemed like an interesting idea. Once the Battle Cruisers and Carriers showed up, it was obvious the how silly the idea was. A bunch of troops in a life raft trying to fight an Aircraft Carrier with their rifles, even if this sometimes works in say Battlefield 4. I dig the Baserunner as an APC idea, but in the end, infantry really have no place. Its actually pretty appropriate considering dangerous the environment of the Kharak seems.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

At the final mission against the final boss, basically everything that wasn't a cruiser or aircraft had blown up in the assault. The bombers were shot down too, so it was fighters flitting in and out like it was Ace Combat while my cruisers and the enemy cruisers whaled on each other as my cruiser and Rachel rained death from above. It was pretty intense!

The mission before that where you get some lavs (which lasted about five seconds), aavs, and the baserunners against like thirty enemy units was pretty good too. Especially the cutscenes around it. :allears:

The credits and ending had the mood killed by the intel officer repeatedly interjecting that Gaalsien air units were incoming though. :haw:

quote:

A bunch of troops in a life raft trying to fight an Aircraft Carrier with their rifles, even if this sometimes works in say Battlefield 4.

"When you get to Hiigara tell them that Scooty Puff Jr. sucks!"

Calax
Oct 5, 2011

Psycho Landlord posted:

It was dumb, but I must admit taking pride in consistently out-maneuvering Vaygr doomballs with two dinky little battlecruisers and wrecking their poo poo. If nothing else, later HW2 missions made the Mothership fleet look pretty badass.

You obviously didn't futz with the Persist.lua files.

Having 32 battlecruisers on the third to last(? I think) mission in HW2 turns even modern day computers into a slide show because the adaptive AI spawns literally 2000 fighters to counter them.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib

Xae posted:

I figured the Sakala would either be destroyed very quickly to build tension or go for the last minute betrayal. The Protagonist(s) always have to be The One to save the world. Video game writing.

I assumed it'd go down the BSG route of the Pegasus Sakala sacrificing it's self taking out a bunch of Cylon Basestars Gaalsien carriers in a kickass last stand while you escape into the open desert.

Game was super fun, I want more missions now, hopefully we get a DLC pack, even if it is something like you're one other battlegroups/carriers defending Tiir from the Gaalsien suprise attack or responding to it then regrouping and pushing them out.

Still want a Dune mod too, also a cosmetic mod to add the Nod scorpian tail logo onto all Gaalsein things.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

A DLC focusing on the "vehicle fantasy" buzzword from the trailers would be pretty awesome. One of the biggest weaknesses of the single player campaign so far is definitely the fact that the smaller, more intricate detail of how everything moves is really easy to gloss over. That's a real shame, because there's just something incredibly satisfying about the spectacle of a giant landship cresting the top of a sand dune and the fact that it looks right.

I think that a campaign set during the early years of the large sand crawlers would be a neat way of really showing off the physics. You could have a smaller group of vehicles that require more individual and careful management (maybe give them all power shunting like the carrier), which would also increase the importance of height, line of sight, and allow for more opportunities to bring the camera in closer to the action and away from sensors mode.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

A campaign that was around keeping a small force alive against larger numbers like the aavs and railguns guarding Rachel in that one mission would be fun. You get set additional reinforcements each mission, and a support cruiser or something to harvest resources for abilities.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

Fish Fry Andy posted:

A DLC focusing on the "vehicle fantasy" buzzword from the trailers would be pretty awesome. One of the biggest weaknesses of the single player campaign so far is definitely the fact that the smaller, more intricate detail of how everything moves is really easy to gloss over. That's a real shame, because there's just something incredibly satisfying about the spectacle of a giant landship cresting the top of a sand dune and the fact that it looks right.

I think that a campaign set during the early years of the large sand crawlers would be a neat way of really showing off the physics. You could have a smaller group of vehicles that require more individual and careful management (maybe give them all power shunting like the carrier), which would also increase the importance of height, line of sight, and allow for more opportunities to bring the camera in closer to the action and away from sensors mode.

Just make a HW2 style action RPG campaign where you have 4 vehicles but they're all customizable like an unholy hybrid of Diablo and Mechwarrior. Way smaller scale would let it show off the great art more.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

DatonKallandor posted:

Just make a HW2 style action RPG campaign where you have 4 vehicles but they're all customizable like an unholy hybrid of Diablo and Mechwarrior. Way smaller scale would let it show off the great art more.

I would play this and make the Gigalav.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

DatonKallandor posted:

That's essentially what Dawn of War 2 was.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
What do we have to do to get the top players to be Diamond so the rest of us can move out of bronze? I'm #30 and I feel I deserve some tarnished silver :sun:

If anyone wants to set up some just-for-fun gently caress-around games I'd be down. I really love this game's multi (even if it is because I am Gaalsien grit)

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

Mordja posted:

That's essentially what Dawn of War 2 was.

Exactly. Then they just need to make a Last Stand mode for it and they've got the perfect multiplayer game.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

DatonKallandor posted:

Exactly. Then they just need to make a Last Stand mode for it and they've got the perfect multiplayer game.

Blockbird plz, some fun and replayable co-op would do so much for this game. Micromanaging units is an absolute joy, you got the physics fantasy and the time to kill just right, now please give us endless waves of fuckheads to shoot with our friends.

e: add a Taiidan faction, gently caress lore :qwaar-tank:

more e: I'm the only person in the 50-win range who's not silver, I must be particularly bad at this game.

General Battuta fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Feb 5, 2016

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

I would pay entirely too much money for any DLC involving Taiidan shiips with treads haphazardly bolted to them as a new faction.

bij
Feb 24, 2007

I'd be all over a smaller scale campaign with an RPG caster Baserunner that could be specced out like a DoW2 character.

That and a vertically oriented hovering stripey Taiidan / Vaygr TTA homage faction.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

Potential BFF posted:

I'd be all over a smaller scale campaign with an RPG caster Baserunner that could be specced out like a DoW2 character.

That and a vertically oriented hovering stripey Taiidan / Vaygr TTA homage faction.

All I'm saying is, imagine Carriers with Mechwarrior level customization and the power management system on top in a Last Stand Coop Horde arena. The Power management is what would make it really cool and unique - it'd add a new layer to the classic ability micromanagement of an ARPG that DoW 2 used, and with a small-ish handcrafted arena and only 1 unit per player to control the terrain would really matter.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

DatonKallandor posted:

All I'm saying is, imagine Carriers with Mechwarrior level customization and the power management system on top in a Last Stand Coop Horde arena. The Power management is what would make it really cool and unique - it'd add a new layer to the classic ability micromanagement of an ARPG that DoW 2 used, and with a small-ish handcrafted arena and only 1 unit per player to control the terrain would really matter.

I'm afraid to say it, but if there were physical projectiles instead of a dice roll you also could allow for hull downing and other fun aspects of positioning. With vehicles smaller than the carrier it could be pretty important.

A small scale, customization and micro heavy expansion with a last stand mode would be very cool.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

I think what people are saying here is they literally want Dawn of War: Retribution with DoK units, environments, and writing.

I can't say I disagree, that would be pretty cool.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

Top 20 :toot:

That'll last until I play a Top 20 player.

I saw one guy do an interesting anti-skimmer build in GvG where he went for assault rails instead of heavy rails. The up side to this build was that it completely shut down skimmers, and if he'd attacked really fast, he might have done some serious damage. The downside to this build was that it lost to heavy rails.

Crazy Ferret
May 11, 2007

Welp

More sand.

Psycho Landlord posted:

I would pay entirely too much money for any DLC involving Taiidan shiips with treads haphazardly bolted to them as a new faction.

An Ork mod would be well worth it. If only to see the Kapisi sporting a huge Gork or Mork jaw on its prow, which would cause its fighters to crash into it upon take off but that's Orks for ya.

Dalaram
Jun 6, 2002

Marshall/Kirtaner 8/24 nevar forget! (omg pedo)

Crazy Ferret posted:

More sand.

An Ork mod would be well worth it. If only to see the Kapisi sporting a huge Gork or Mork jaw on its prow, which would cause its fighters to crash into it upon take off but that's Orks for ya.

Fighta-Bommers get launched V2 style, so they could just be shot out of the existing cruise missile port

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

Has anyone done any math on how important upgrades are in Sandskimmer Wars?

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

Looks like the first rookie killed in XCOM2 was named 'Deserts of Kharak' :(

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

General Battuta posted:

Looks like the first rookie killed in XCOM2 was named 'Deserts of Kharak' :(

I guess the aliens weren't impressed. :(

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Hey I'm replaying Cataclysm since I've replayed every other HW campaign, anything I need to know about getting it to run in Windows 7?

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
You have to run it in software iirc or it horribly glitches out in menus.

Edit: \/ opengl might work.

Mokinokaro fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Feb 8, 2016

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Mokinokaro posted:

You have to run it in software iirc or it horribly glitches out in menus.

Thanks! I wasn't sure if I should set it to open gl or not. In software though it seems to chug for a fraction of a second bringing up context menus, but other than that it runs fine.

e: It sure does chug a lot actually. And I have to fiddle the mouse to get it to end the mission lol.

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Feb 8, 2016

TheCoach
Mar 11, 2014
http://dege.freeweb.hu/dgVoodoo2_5.zip all graphics apis will work with this, you just have to set it up properly(Emulates Glide, DirectDraw and old DirectX versions).

You can't go full-hd in cata or hw1 without fuckign up the menus, experiment till you find the biggest resolution that doesn't break menus(I think it's tied to width specifically and the hard limit is 1600px)

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

TheCoach posted:

http://dege.freeweb.hu/dgVoodoo2_5.zip all graphics apis will work with this, you just have to set it up properly(Emulates Glide, DirectDraw and old DirectX versions).

You can't go full-hd in cata or hw1 without fuckign up the menus, experiment till you find the biggest resolution that doesn't break menus(I think it's tied to width specifically and the hard limit is 1600px)

Thanks, running it in D3D 32-bit now at 1024 so the menus don't look like rear end. The build and research interfaces chug like crazy for some reason, but the gameplay's smoother now so whatever, good enough!

e: Oh that's the problem, the end mission menu is gone. gently caress. I can only finish levels in software mode by moving the camera back and forth until it fades to black lmao

e: Cataclysm is broken as gently caress on Windows 7. The infected module chased me down, the heavy cruiser never spawned, and it teleported on me mid-cutscene.

e: At the nebula mission, almost no level triggers work properly. The scouts caught sight of a rock, alerting the base to the Caal-Shto. I tried to fight them but the acolytes gave up. The Caal-Shto itself nearly ran into the Heavy Cruiser (and in the infected module mission, the heavy cruiser there actually did :haw:). On the other hand, it's actually making the game hard now. :v:

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Feb 9, 2016

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Welp, at the cruise missile mission, absolutely nothing I do gets the "end mission" trigger to do anything but the cutscene zoom-in. At least I got halfway through it. :smith:

e: Right as I say that, alt-tabbing (only while in software mode) of all things does it.

e: Also the Kadiir Nebula mission was the first time I ever had to emergency jump because my units wouldn't dock. :smith:

I entered the cruise missile mission with five sentinels and two hive frigates. They're goddamn heroes.

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Feb 9, 2016

TheCoach
Mar 11, 2014
It isn't so unstable for me as far as I have tested, nor do I experience any slowdowns.

Are you sure you coppied:
D3D8.dll
D3DImm.dll
DDraw.dll
into cataclysms folder?

You can run this at 1600x900 provided you have a monitor that is smart enough to center weird resolutions.

I exported my settings for you:

registry settings(1600x900x32 rez and d3d display mode):
https://mega.nz/#!F58DQQ6Y!ALZrf_aUNr1EbcajucwwTmKfQXeZN9yfqDAWgd_324M

dgvoodoo config(drop it in cataclysm folder):
https://mega.nz/#!c4tG0bCT!Iu3Nr6WTIXRBXtqBGqcMwOs1N_kq-Y3I9A3-5nZ1UYo

Step by step:
1. Turn the game on set it to d3d rendering at whatever rez
2. Drop those dll's from dgvoodoo into your Cata folder.
3. Drop dg voodoo conf into the game folder.
4. run the reg file.

If you have a non-weird gpu and a monitor that does 1600x900 or larger it should work for you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Yeah, it runs fine when in D3D mode, I have that working, the problem is that for any mission that doesn't end in hyperspacing, it won't end unless I swap rendering modes and gently caress around, and things seem to not trigger properly sometimes. I have 1.01 installed too. The not docking thing wasn't a bug, they just chose to fight the Taiidan instead of land so I could jump with them. I'll try tonight with your setup and see if that doesn't fix the trigger/end mission issue.

• Locked thread