Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird
I'm morbidly curious what happens if you shoot him.

5 "Rest in peace, old man."

EDIT
"No kings, no masters!"

Rockopolis fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Jul 26, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thiswayliesmadness
Dec 3, 2009

I hope to see you next time, and take care all
5) He shot me down~ Bang, bang~

Brony Hunter
Dec 27, 2012

Motherfucking Mannis

They'll bend the knee or I'll destroy them
5, just because the game has given us like eight opportunities to shoot this guy now and I'm curious to see what'd happen.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
5. I shoot him.. It'll be quick, and he won't get bored in retirement. It's the pirate way!

We need a quip! There has to be something we say to go into the movie trailer!

There is only One King of the island. ?

Espresso Steampunk
Sep 27, 2008

Comstar posted:

We need a quip! There has to be something we say to go into the movie trailer!

"Since you're an old man, I'll put on your favorite show..." aims antique pistol "... Matchlock."

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

My antenna is telling me that you're probably wrong about this.
Soiled Meat

Espresso Steampunk posted:

"Since you're an old man, I'll put on your favorite show..." aims antique pistol "... Matchlock."

Pretty good. I mean, it's a bit anachronistic but no way will we do better than that before next update.

Espresso Steampunk
Sep 27, 2008

Cathode Raymond posted:

Pretty good. I mean, it's a bit anachronistic but no way will we do better than that before next update.

"I'm the Pirate King now... it's canon." Shoots him with a cannon.

"No more blundering around." Shoots him with a blunderbuss.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Sounds like fun.

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!
1 Politeness pirate to the end.

Fumbles
Mar 22, 2013

Can I get a reroll?

We've skipped every possible opportunity to load our gun. If we pull it on him now we'll look like a loving idiot and he'll smite us down with Pirate King Magic.

1, let's be King of the Pirates.

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
Voting for 1. Why shoot when we have things given freely that which we want?

Thesaya
May 17, 2011

I am a Plant.
Why thank you, I'd love to be king!

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

wedgekree posted:

Voting for 1. Why shoot when we have things given freely that which we want?

1. Then start the tryouts for the successor in like five years. It looks like that magic isn't gentle in keeping its victim alive.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

Sure, I'll press the win button.

Baron-of-hell
Jul 11, 2016
1. The king is dead retiring, long live the king.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

quote:

"I am no longer strong enough to wield her full power," he continues. "You are not the heir I'd have chosen — there are others more familiar with the magic, with the fleet — but we will need all the Lucayan can give us to keep San Alfonso free the Crown. Will you take on this mantle and become the next Pirate King?"

1. I accept the responsibility.

2. I'll join the fleet, but I don't want to be tied to that much magic!

3. I don't want to be Pirate King, or in his fleet, but I'll be an ally today.

4. I'll join the fleet, but I don't think this is the best strategy.

5. I shoot him.

quote:

ACHIEVEMENT UNLOCKED
El Rey del Mar: Become the Pirate King. (50 points)

He makes a cut in his hand with his sword cane, and the blood drips to the deck. "Then allow your blood to join mine, and you will become the vessel."

You nod, taking your cutlass and slicing across your palm. Your blood drips to the deck, and all at once the air is full of music: the sounds of the coquν frog, the cry of the howler monkey, the chatter of the vervet monkeys, the rocking of the waves against the beach, the melodies of reed flutes, the pounding of drums. They are the sounds of the islands in the Lucayan, and as they surround you, you feel the cave hold its breath and the ocean still. Then, swift as an exhale, power crashes into you, tropical breeze stealing your breath as it fills your lungs, the drums of the islands pounding in your heartbeat, the skitter of hermit crabs crawling over your skin.

You can feel it like an extra limb. The Lucayan stretches out beyond you, her islands living and breathing and becoming, even in places where metal and stone dampen her energy. You know at once that those contained spots are where the Crown has paved the streets, has brought its coats and corsets and carriages.

"I know what we need to do," you say.

1. Use the Galicia to lead the navy away.

2. Get back to my ship to distract the navy.

3. Have the Leσn lead the pirates of San Alfonso in an attack.

Stats posted:

Ye
Name: Monkey D. Spack Jarrow
Moniker: Deadshot "Ghostbuster" Jarrow the van Helsing
Flagship: The Sea Queen
Flag: A pot leaf wearing shades
Signature Clothing: A hollow glass codpiece containing water and a live goldfish.

Yer Skills
Fame: 88%
Pistols & Swords: 71%
Cambiar: 78%
Skullduggery: 64%
Parley: 48%
Sailing: 83%

Yer Reputation
Ruthless: 39% Honorable: 61%
Greed: 64% Goodwill: 36%
Privateer: 14% Pirate: 86%

Yer Resources
Booty: 4,122 doubloons
Fleet: 11
Lover: none

Yer Relationships
Caesar Lord: 87%
Joaquin de Aviles: 56%
Anne Read: 48%
Tinima Cambiante: 75%
El Sabio: 72%
The Crown: 46%
Your Crew: 85%

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!
We don't have a ghost ship for nothing.
2. Return to our ship

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
2. Get back to my ship to distract the navy. Ghost ship...ACTIVATE.

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

Soiled Meat
Get back to the ship. If this goes sideways on us, granny will know what to do.

Brony Hunter
Dec 27, 2012

Motherfucking Mannis

2, let's go gently caress poo poo up.

Sordas Volantyr
Jan 11, 2015

Now, everybody, walk like a Jekhar.

(God, these running animations are terrible.)
2, it's time to kick rear end and chew bubblegum.

...and we haven't invented bubblegum yet.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
2 Lets do dis poo poo

Baron-of-hell
Jul 11, 2016
3. HOIST THE COLORS! :yarr:

<Cue dramatic montage of all captains putting up their flag while standing triumphantly over theirs bows>

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

quote:

You hope.

1. Sail hard and fast and hope they take the bait.

2. Make our disguise so convincing that they can't help but chase us.

3. Hail the ships and taunt them so they follow.

quote:

You set your course for a northerly approach, making sure that points them in the direction of a port other than San Alfonso. The Sea Queen flies, sailing as well as you've ever seen her, as though the ship itself can sense your urgency. It takes a few hours before you see the line of Crown Navy ships, but there they are, just where you expected them. Tinima fills your sails, so that regardless of where the real wind is coming from, you've got a downwind heading, and you're moving knots faster than the navy. It doesn't take long until you're nearly upon them.

And then, you raise the Pirate King's flag. You tack, showing your broadsides, and just to make sure they're paying attention, you fire a load of chain shot into one of the outlying sloops. It's a bit of overkill given how much larger you are than the poor little sloop, but you figure if you're going to make a statement, you might as well give it your all.

The mainmast topples. You have their attention, all right. You change course, watching as their ships — seeing your flag, and thus their believed target — set new headings to follow you. It's a merry chase; for a few hours, every time you tack, the Crown fleet scrambles to track your course. You get too far away and have to adjust upwind to give them a chance to catch up, and then you're off again.

You're still playing with them when other members of the Pirate King's fleet begin to arrive. First a galleon, then a man-o'-war, then a pair of brigs. Assorted cutters and sloops — support ships — sail in the wakes of the larger vessels. All of them are armed to the teeth. And all of them are flying the flag of the Pirate King. You stop running and begin making the wide loop that will turn you around at the head of the gathering fleet.

There's that old joke Anne Read tells at the Lobo Negro, about the captain who asks for his brown pants: you're fairly certain that the commodore leading this Crown fleet is experiencing a similar sensation. It's a shame their uniforms have white trousers.

The battle doesn't last long, if only because the Crown ships realize they've been outmaneuvered. The cheers rise from the Pirate King's fleet, and soon the galleon sails alongside you, her captain — a native man in his sixties, with crisscrossed scars from his forehead to his chin, who you suspect is the infamous Coamo Suerte — hailing you for the news.

And so you explain what transpired with El Sabio. Suerte listens, his scarred face almost expressionless. "Change in the winds, lads," he calls out, his voice echoing eerily among the ships. Then he grins, and it might be sardonic. "Long live the King," he continues.

A cheer goes up from the crews, and if their captains are a little less enthusiastic than the sailors, they don't act against you. Your authority is unchallenged, for now.

+3 Fame

"Permission to sail back to San Alfonso to celebrate?" Suerte asks, and you have a feeling it's a test.

1. Granted. We'll show San Alfonso the strength of the Pirate King's fleet.

2. Granted, so long as they raise their own colors.

3. Better to stay clear of San Alfonso for now.

Stats posted:

Ye
Signature Clothing: A hollow glass codpiece containing water and a live goldfish.

Yer Skills
Fame: 91%

Yer Reputation

Yer Resources

Yer Relationships

JosephWongKS fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Jul 27, 2016

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
We are good at sailing, so lets SAIL HARD.

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

Soiled Meat
The only thing we're better at than sailing is being famous (for sailing so well).

Pass that sail check

Brony Hunter
Dec 27, 2012

Motherfucking Mannis

Sail

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
They won't have any reason to chase us if we don't do a better job disguising ourselves.

thiswayliesmadness
Dec 3, 2009

1) I'm sailing away~

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
Voting for Sail Hard here.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
I REALLY want to taunt them, but out sail skill is highest.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

quote:

You hope.

2. Make our disguise so convincing that they can't help but chase us.

3. Hail the ships and taunt them so they follow.

quote:

You set your course for a northerly approach, making sure that points them in the direction of a port other than San Alfonso. The Sea Queen flies, sailing as well as you've ever seen her, as though the ship itself can sense your urgency. It takes a few hours before you see the line of Crown Navy ships, but there they are, just where you expected them. Tinima fills your sails, so that regardless of where the real wind is coming from, you've got a downwind heading, and you're moving knots faster than the navy. It doesn't take long until you're nearly upon them.

And then, you raise the Pirate King's flag. You tack, showing your broadsides, and just to make sure they're paying attention, you fire a load of chain shot into one of the outlying sloops. It's a bit of overkill given how much larger you are than the poor little sloop, but you figure if you're going to make a statement, you might as well give it your all.

The mainmast topples. You have their attention, all right. You change course, watching as their ships — seeing your flag, and thus their believed target — set new headings to follow you. It's a merry chase; for a few hours, every time you tack, the Crown fleet scrambles to track your course. You get too far away and have to adjust upwind to give them a chance to catch up, and then you're off again.

You're still playing with them when other members of the Pirate King's fleet begin to arrive. First a galleon, then a man-o'-war, then a pair of brigs. Assorted cutters and sloops — support ships — sail in the wakes of the larger vessels. All of them are armed to the teeth. And all of them are flying the flag of the Pirate King. You stop running and begin making the wide loop that will turn you around at the head of the gathering fleet.

There's that old joke Anne Read tells at the Lobo Negro, about the captain who asks for his brown pants: you're fairly certain that the commodore leading this Crown fleet is experiencing a similar sensation. It's a shame their uniforms have white trousers.

The battle doesn't last long, if only because the Crown ships realize they've been outmaneuvered. The cheers rise from the Pirate King's fleet, and soon the galleon sails alongside you, her captain — a native man in his sixties, with crisscrossed scars from his forehead to his chin, who you suspect is the infamous Coamo Suerte — hailing you for the news.

And so you explain what transpired with El Sabio. Suerte listens, his scarred face almost expressionless. "Change in the winds, lads," he calls out, his voice echoing eerily among the ships. Then he grins, and it might be sardonic. "Long live the King," he continues.

A cheer goes up from the crews, and if their captains are a little less enthusiastic than the sailors, they don't act against you. Your authority is unchallenged, for now.

+3 Fame

"Permission to sail back to San Alfonso to celebrate?" Suerte asks, and you have a feeling it's a test.

1. Granted. We'll show San Alfonso the strength of the Pirate King's fleet.

2. Granted, so long as they raise their own colors.

Stats posted:

Ye

Yer Skills
Fame: 91%

Yer Reputation

Yer Resources

Yer Relationships

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Get drunk. Just get drunk without telling anyone that you're Pirate king guys.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
I'm confused. What does option 2 mean?

perfluorosapien
Aug 15, 2015

Oven Wrangler
So, uh, what happened to the Crown fleet? I guess the author doesn't enjoy describing Age of Sail naval combat?

3. Better to stay clear of San Alfonso for now. ...since it kind of sounds like the Crown fleet is intact and plans revenge

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

Soiled Meat
Yeah I think the crown fleet got away with a bloody nose and will be back.

Odysseus S. Grant
Oct 12, 2011

Cats is the oldest and strongest emotion
of mankind

Comstar posted:

I'm confused. What does option 2 mean?

The whole fleet is currently flying the flag of the pirate king. Option 1 would have you return to port without changing flags.

thiswayliesmadness
Dec 3, 2009

I think 2 would have them look more like a group of random people coming together to defend the island. And while (if I'm reading it right) that might make the crown react oddly, I'm voting:

3) Don't make the island a target again

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird
The fleet came here to destroy San Alfonso. Our cover's blown, our tactics must change.

1 Time for a show of strength.

• Locked thread