Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Terper
Jun 26, 2012

That was the hypest poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

With an expiration date of next week, when the hyperest poo poo will be happening, oh god I can't wait

Buzzsaw Roomba
Feb 14, 2012

Christ, what an asshole.
Never forget :japan:

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

World's Greatest Anime indeed

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

Now you all know the true power of the Century's Greatest Psychic, Reigen Arataka.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

The only bad thing about this is that "finale" means it's not going 2 cours like the website suggested it could.

:negative:

Reigen is the best boy of all best boys.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

You guys might want to see the #redrawreigen tag on twitter right now.

bondster
May 6, 2007

Holy gently caress that ending. Goddamn it Reigen is too good and cool of a dude, its comical how much different my opinion of him has changed since episode 1

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Aw, we're only getting one cours?

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

An artist working on JoJo DiU has done a handful of Mob art.

https://twitter.com/asikoh009/status/777557050662326272?lang=en

If you go through to twitter, you can see a handful more in the chain

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
I always go into tears at this part.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

ChaosArgate posted:

Aw, we're only getting one cours?

There miiiight be enough source material to get a second cour but given how quickly they went through content in this first season they are probably going to wait till the current manga arc finishes up.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

The 11th week straight of anime as we know it being saved.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
I knew it was coming but the Hypnosis Punch is the hardest I laughed at something all year.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

It's beautiful how Reigen immediately puts everything into perspective. He truly is the strongest.

Antoine Silvere
Nov 25, 2008

Are these soap bubbles?
Grimey Drawer
holy poo poo the animation in that last fight scene was downright beautiful

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Reigen is the hero we deserve. God drat.

sockpuppetclock
Sep 12, 2010

Mr. Lobe posted:

This is the greatest anime ever made.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Mr. Lobe posted:

https://twitter.com/airplanesupper/status/777851340278018049

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Rohan Kishibe posted:

I knew it was coming but the Hypnosis Punch is the hardest I laughed at something all year.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3NMhGCf20i0

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

Reigen Ftw.

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.
I guess I'll be the only one to say it...

I've liked Reigen in general, but I hated him in this episode. He was the clear epitome of someone holding to an ideology past the time where it's helpful, and in the process almost certainly getting two other young boys killed, since there was no way for them to safely retreat. Reigen might have been able to keep them from getting into this mess in the first place, but Mob's the only one who can get them out of it. And this just after he discovered that Mob wasn't the only esper in the world, thereby invalidating his argument that "Mob vs. X would be a massacre"? And after Reigen has had Mob murder hundreds of sentient entities (ghosts) for him? Nope, not buying it.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Pewdiepie posted:

Reigen Ftw.

I've had hundreds of experts analyse this and all agree: Reigen ftw

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Kytrarewn posted:

I've liked Reigen in general, but I hated him in this episode. He was the clear epitome of someone holding to an ideology past the time where it's helpful, and in the process almost certainly getting two other young boys killed, since there was no way for them to safely retreat. Reigen might have been able to keep them from getting into this mess in the first place, but Mob's the only one who can get them out of it. And this just after he discovered that Mob wasn't the only esper in the world, thereby invalidating his argument that "Mob vs. X would be a massacre"? And after Reigen has had Mob murder hundreds of sentient entities (ghosts) for him? Nope, not buying it.

Wow. You completely missed the point, congratulations. It isn't about ideology, Reigen was downright scared about what would almost definitely happen to Mob if he just decided "yeah, using my powers to murder people is fine as long as I'm protecting others", and not without reason: the people of Claw are exactly that. The "I'm protecting others" won't last for long, and it was blatantly clear from Mob's near-100%: it wasn't "protecting" or anything nice, it was MURDEROUS INTENT. Mob was one step away from going from psychic to psycho, and the only thing that stopped him was Reigen being an actually great mentor.

If you're against what Reigen did, you want Mob to become just like Claw, a bunch of children who failed to grow up and use their powers for entirely selfish purpouses regardless of how many people get hurt.

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
Extremely good episode this week, cannot wait for next week though! I don't know what's going to happen! I'm excited!!!

Also if you're a fan of Reigan, some of you should check out GTO sometime.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
I'm not sure a pedophile becoming a teacher and then failing to be a pedophile is a very good comparison to Reigen.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
I'M SO UPSET RIGHT NOW

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??
I cannot believe that cliffhanger, I was so ready and expecting the 100% explosion this week

How can I possibly wait an entire week for the rest of this, I'm going to die

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

gnome7 posted:

How can I possibly wait an entire week for the rest of this, I'm going to die

This. It's a really good cliffhanger though and I love that it hung on the 100% before the end credits.

I'd have thought this would be really blatant too, when Reigen dwells on the fact that these are children that didn't learn to use their powers properly or grow up. It's a really wonderful moment and Reigen continues to be the best. Now I really want a Reigen avatar.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Reigen is the greatest anime character.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
This is the best anime ever.

You manga people, tell me around what number chapter we are so I can more easily start reading the manga the second next week's episode end.

MorningMoon fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Sep 19, 2016

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Kytrarewn posted:

What do you think would happen if Mob went rogue? Who could stop him, who could even touch him when he gets serious? Reigen panicked this episode because he saw the worse case scenario was Mob becoming like Claw and just being this unstoppable force of terror, so he was doing all he could to keep Mob away from said path whilst looking for an exit. Also, how does exorcising ghosts count as killing them? The whole point of an exorcism is to remove a ghosts connection to the living world so that they can move on.

Miles Vorkosigan
Mar 21, 2007

The stuff that dreams are made of.

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

This is the best anime ever.

You manga people, tell me around what number chapter we are so I can more easily start reading the manga the second next week's episode end.

This episode closed out chapter 46, I'd guess next episode will end on chapter 50.

Also next episode is going to be so drat good you guys

Miles Vorkosigan fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Sep 19, 2016

Tunahead
Mar 26, 2010

It's never too early to start teaching children about the Joestar Family Secret Technique. Reigen understands this, and that's why he's the anime parent of the year.

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

Gonna post this after-credits bit since no one else has (Watch the after credits bit, by the way)

Also, my personal prediction, spoiled in case of divine inspiration:

Mob isn't going to go Murderous Intent any more. No, Reigen's possible death/severe injury has affected him quite profoundly.

Instead he is going to go...

100%

Psycho

I may just be reading too much into Psycho being in the title of the show and never having been mentioned other then by the Psycho --> Psychic correlation

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.

Hunt11 posted:

What do you think would happen if Mob went rogue? Who could stop him, who could even touch him when he gets serious? Reigen panicked this episode because he saw the worse case scenario was Mob becoming like Claw and just being this unstoppable force of terror, so he was doing all he could to keep Mob away from said path whilst looking for an exit. Also, how does exorcising ghosts count as killing them? The whole point of an exorcism is to remove a ghosts connection to the living world so that they can move on.

The key factor you're all neglecting is The difference between Reigen's perspective and our perspective. Reigen didn't know until this very episode that there were other espers besides Mob and had never seen Mob use his power in anger and so had no idea of the power difference between Claw/Ritsu/Hanazawa and Mob. Also, there is a gigantic difference between "Use powers as a last resort to protect someone" and "Use powers to subjugate the entire world". The first is a rational decision made by a mature person in a crisis. The second is overgrown children playing pretend. On top of that, the distrust that Reigen showed towards Mob was largely driving his confusion and emotional overload. Indeed, it has been the force driving a number of Mob's emotional overloads. We saw when Dimple and Hanazawa engaged on the mission that Mob is fully capable of using force judiciously. And I'm sure you don't really think that "MURDEROUS INTENT!!1!" was actually projected in the air as a hologram for Reigen to see.

Plus there was the moment earlier when Mob was being slammed against the ground with Gravity, and Reigen's advice was "What, you mean you really didn't intend to just sit there and take it?"

Even if Reigen stopping Mob at the brink of 100% was luckily the right thing to do in this situation, he had no way of knowing that, and the better answer would be to say "OK, let's get Ritsu and Hanazawa out of here, but try not to hurt the Claw guys".

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

Kytrarewn posted:

The key factor you're all neglecting is The difference between Reigen's perspective and our perspective. Reigen didn't know until this very episode that there were other espers besides Mob and had never seen Mob use his power in anger and so had no idea of the power difference between Claw/Ritsu/Hanazawa and Mob. Also, there is a gigantic difference between "Use powers as a last resort to protect someone" and "Use powers to subjugate the entire world". The first is a rational decision made by a mature person in a crisis. The second is overgrown children playing pretend. On top of that, the distrust that Reigen showed towards Mob was largely driving his confusion and emotional overload. Indeed, it has been the force driving a number of Mob's emotional overloads. We saw when Dimple and Hanazawa engaged on the mission that Mob is fully capable of using force judiciously. And I'm sure you don't really think that "MURDEROUS INTENT!!1!" was actually projected in the air as a hologram for Reigen to see.

Plus there was the moment earlier when Mob was being slammed against the ground with Gravity, and Reigen's advice was "What, you mean you really didn't intend to just sit there and take it?"

Even if Reigen stopping Mob at the brink of 100% was luckily the right thing to do in this situation, he had no way of knowing that, and the better answer would be to say "OK, let's get Ritsu and Hanazawa out of here, but try not to hurt the Claw guys".

If nothing else, its quite likely that Reigen saw/was involved in the Ritsu/delinquents incident that ended up with Ritsu injured/with a bandageed head, so its quite possible Reigen has seen ???% levels of devastation before, since Mob in that flashback looks older then he does in the "meeting Reigen" flashback

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Kytrarewn posted:

And I'm sure you don't really think that "MURDEROUS INTENT!!1!" was actually projected in the air as a hologram for Reigen to see.

I dunno, Reigen's very insightful when it comes to the inner workings of other people, and he's known Mob for quite a while. I don't think it's hard for him to figure out that's what was going on in Mob's mind at that time.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Kytrarewn posted:

On top of that, the distrust that Reigen showed towards Mob was largely driving his confusion and emotional overload. Indeed, it has been the force driving a number of Mob's emotional overloads. We saw when Dimple and Hanazawa engaged on the mission that Mob is fully capable of using force judiciously. And I'm sure you don't really think that "MURDEROUS INTENT!!1!" was actually projected in the air as a hologram for Reigen to see.

Reigen doesn't distrust Mob because of his abilities, Reigen simply doesn't trust Mob to always act responsibly, because Mob is a twelve-year-old kid. As an adult, and especially the adult guardian of a child, this is the proper way to behave. Just because he managed to win a fight without killing his opponent is not evidence that he is "capable of using force judiciously"--a pre-teen is not capable of acting judiciously, and should not be asked or depended upon to do so.

Moreover, asking a twelve year old to take on three adults who intend to kill him is a bad thing to do.

Schwarzwald fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Sep 19, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beekeeping and You
Sep 27, 2011

:unsmith: this made me very happy, I thought this scene wouldn't be animated

• Locked thread