Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.
Look I'm an adult, and I expect adult themes in my video games. When I play video games I want to encounter the same things I might encounter in real life, e.g. violence racism bigotry homophobia fascist leaders taking over our nation and that's to say nothing of people outside our borders trying to come in and murder us it's called terrorism. I want these themes in my video games. I expect a certain level of honesty and maturity when I play the new legend of Zelda links breath of the wind. I expect sex I expect it is I expect bodily fluids I expect jizzum. These are the mature themes that I can hopefully look to Nintendo to provide me with and I expect Nintendo to provide me with them in 2017.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Universe Master
Jun 20, 2005

Darn Fine Pie

Professor SJW posted:

no i want to gently caress a hyrule prostitute

Zelda II

The Dennis System
Aug 4, 2014

Nothing in Jurassic World is natural, we have always filled gaps in the genome with the DNA of other animals. And if the genetic code was pure, many of them would look quite different. But you didn't ask for reality, you asked for more teeth.
Guys, there's a middle ground between "grimdark" and Nintendo's usual kiddy aesthetic.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

well why not posted:

that's darksiders and it's average

Is it on Nintendo Switch? Can I flail my arms pretending I swing my sword while playing it?

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

Look I'm an adult, and I expect adult themes in my video games. When I play video games I want to encounter the same things I might encounter in real life, e.g. violence racism bigotry homophobia fascist leaders taking over our nation and that's to say nothing of people outside our borders trying to come in and murder us it's called terrorism. I want these themes in my video games. I expect a certain level of honesty and maturity when I play the new legend of Zelda links breath of the wind. I expect sex I expect it is I expect bodily fluids I expect jizzum. These are the mature themes that I can hopefully look to Nintendo to provide me with and I expect Nintendo to provide me with them in 2017.

Mario is in New Dork, making GBS threads and/or pissing in Tonald Drump's mouth. This is what we need right now as a nation.

kikkelivelho
Aug 27, 2015

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

You joke, but there's definitely some truth to the idea that Nintendo has failed to adapt to the growths and changes of the gaming scene. They still seem to think that games are the electronic toys of the early 90s and that the people playing their products are young teenage boys with little intellectual capacity. The modern gaming landscape is dominated by Sony because of titles like the Last of Us. Modern gamers want their games to not only test their skills but to also make them think and that's something that Nintendo absolutely doesn't want to do.

Either the Nintendo themselves are afraid of handling more complex subjects or they think their core audience can't handle darker and more complex stories and worlds. Either way Nintendo is stuck creating games with very black and white simple to understand ideas and concepts and it seems to be causing damage in terms of sales. You can also see this unwillingness to change and improve in their hardware decisions. Sony and Microsoft are constantly offering gamers better ways to experience their games while Nintendo is stuck working on terrible last gen hardware. IMO the gaming market is no place for such conservative and regressive strategies.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

kikkelivelho posted:

You joke, but there's definitely some truth to the idea that Nintendo has failed to adapt to the growths and changes of the gaming scene. They still seem to think that games are the electronic toys of the early 90s

i was playing Fallout 2 and baldurs gate in the 90s. games haven't changed, nintendo just has their market niche

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer

The Dennis System posted:

Vidya games are fun. Learning another language is a boring chore.

Actually its super easy and fun

jyrque
Sep 4, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k

kikkelivelho posted:

They still seem to think that games are the electronic toys of the early 90s and that the people playing their products are young teenage boys with little intellectual capacity.

Counter to today's level headed, mature gamer crowd

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Many people learn English and Japanese thanks to video games, actually.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

kikkelivelho posted:

You joke, but there's definitely some truth to the idea that Nintendo has failed to adapt to the growths and changes of the gaming scene. They still seem to think that games are the electronic toys of the early 90s and that the people playing their products are young teenage boys with little intellectual capacity. The modern gaming landscape is dominated by Sony because of titles like the Last of Us. Modern gamers want their games to not only test their skills but to also make them think and that's something that Nintendo absolutely doesn't want to do.

Either the Nintendo themselves are afraid of handling more complex subjects or they think their core audience can't handle darker and more complex stories and worlds. Either way Nintendo is stuck creating games with very black and white simple to understand ideas and concepts and it seems to be causing damage in terms of sales. You can also see this unwillingness to change and improve in their hardware decisions. Sony and Microsoft are constantly offering gamers better ways to experience their games while Nintendo is stuck working on terrible last gen hardware. IMO the gaming market is no place for such conservative and regressive strategies.

it's a bit more simple than that. Games like The Last of Us are ridiculously expensive to make and Mario 3D World is way the hell cheaper to make in every single way (especially with not having to hire the girl from Juno).

kikkelivelho
Aug 27, 2015

Rutibex posted:

i was playing Fallout 2 and baldurs gate in the 90s. games haven't changed, nintendo just has their market niche

Gaming has absolutely become more mainstream and "mature", even if Nintendo has been poisoning the well for decades with their branding and marketing. Games today are more profitable than the loving movie industry but I still regularly get people asking why a grown man is spending his time on video games. Companies like Nintendo continue to propagate this idea of gaming as a simplistic and somewhat childish fun. Despite all this progress gaming still has a massive image problem in many parts of the world and Nintendo's products and branding have a lot to do with that.

And as far as fallout or BG go, you should probably play those games again. They are far less well written than you probably remember.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
fallout 2 has better writing than fallout 4

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

:burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug:

Paladinus posted:

Many people learn English and Japanese thanks to video games, actually.

awful people

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

if games have come so far and make more than movies then why are the best of their narratives like the often hailed Last of Us still only about as compelling as a season of mediocre television?

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

gently caress that was a tortured sentence video gayms have rotted me brains

kikkelivelho
Aug 27, 2015

jyrque posted:

Counter to today's level headed, mature gamer crowd

The average gamer today over 30 years old. I'd say that's more mature than your average gamer 2 decades ago.

Professor SJW posted:

if games have come so far and make more than movies then why are the best of their narratives like the often hailed Last of Us still only about as compelling as a season of mediocre television?

What is and isn't compelling is obviously very subjective, but for me Last of Us was definitely better than any of the movies or TV series I've seen in the last few years. It had an incredibly well done narrative and it combined that narrative with excellent moment to moment gameplay. That's something that movies and tv shows just can't do and I think that's what ultimately elevate games above other digital mediums. But despite gaming being the most profitable industry in entertainment I still have to hide my gaming hobby from strangers because it's like some kind of a sin to many people. Somehow there are still tons of people out there who will think less of you the moment they learn you enjoy games despite being an "adult".

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

it's a bit more simple than that. Games like The Last of Us are ridiculously expensive to make and Mario 3D World is way the hell cheaper to make in every single way (especially with not having to hire the girl from Juno).

Ellen Page wasn't in The Last of Us. She was only in Beyond Two Souls.

YOU loving POSEUR.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Paladinus posted:

Ellen Page wasn't in The Last of Us. She was only in Beyond Two Souls.

YOU loving POSEUR.

OK I meant the girl from the TV series Phenom

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.
Excuse me but the video game the last of us was actually truly and easily the finest storyline that I have experienced taken in or enjoyed in the last 15 years

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Professor SJW posted:

Because Last of Us is better than any movie or TV show at letting you shoot zombies.

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

Excuse me but the video game the last of us was actually truly and easily the finest storyline that I have experienced taken in or enjoyed in the last 15 years

im sorry

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Just me and my Switch®, me and my Switch®
Just me and my Switch®, uh, just me and my Switch®
Just me and my Switch®, just me and my Switch®
Yeah, just me and my Switch® (just me and my Switch®)
Just me and my Switch®, me and my Switch®
Just me and my Switch®

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Actually, the best narrative in video games is in Minesweeper. You sweep mines and then either die or wear sunglasses. It's simple, but true about many things in life.

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

If I met you irl I would not shake your hand

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

Honestly though, no trollin'. Show of hands, how many of you are picking up the Switch?

kikkelivelho
Aug 27, 2015

Nintendo won't have my money until they finally decide to catch up with the rest of the industry. They'll probably go bankrupt before that happens though

bitmap
Aug 8, 2006

Batterypowered7 posted:

Honestly though, no trollin'. Show of hands, how many of you are picking up the Switch?

lol everyone here will buy a switch

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
I will not buy a console. I already have a desktop PC, a laptop, and a mobile phone. What I don't have, however, is a TV.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Paladinus posted:

I will not buy a console. I already have a desktop PC, a laptop, and a mobile phone. What I don't have, however, is a TV.

The Switch™ comes with the TV built in

jyrque
Sep 4, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k

bitmap posted:

lol everyone here will buy a switch

SEGA Ass Fisting
Feb 15, 2012

KEEP IT TIGHT!
Nintendo just needs to develop more of their first party IP. Why the gently caress is switch not launching with a Mario game, a metroid game, a pilotwings game, a DK game, an F zero game, and a Kirby game? That poo poo would sell a trillion units at launch

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

The Switch™ comes with the TV built in

Can I watch old QI on it?

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Paladinus posted:

Can I watch old QI on it?

What's QI precious

Blister
Sep 8, 2000

Hair Elf

Rape Stink posted:

Nintendo just needs to develop more of their first party IP. Why the gently caress is switch not launching with a Mario game, a metroid game, a pilotwings game, a DK game, an F zero game, and a Kirby game? That poo poo would sell a trillion units at launch

satoru iwata died of shock when someone suggested they bundle a bunch of good snes roms with the switch to make it more appealing

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

Rape Stink posted:

jyrque
Sep 4, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k
First touchscreen only game was just announced for Switch paving way for mature games like Clash of Clans, Hearthstone, Clash Royale, Candy Crush Saga, Bubble Witch Saga, Angry Birds, Family Guy: The Quest for Stuff and much much more on Nintendo Switch, finally some Big Names

Also a little gem called

Super Mario Run :coolspot:

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

What's QI precious

It's like a video game where you laugh and learn pointless and not always correct trivia.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

jyrque posted:

First touchscreen only game was just announced for Switch paving way for mature games like Clash of Clans, Hearthstone, Clash Royale, Candy Crush Saga, Bubble Witch Saga, Angry Birds, Family Guy: The Quest for Stuff and much much more on Nintendo Switch, finally some Big Names

Also a little gem called

Super Mario Run :coolspot:

More like Super Mario Stop and Think About Where You're Going.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer

Batterypowered7 posted:

I'm going to buy a switch. A light switch for my cool dad workshop where I'm restoring an old piper supercub

• Locked thread