Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We

sugar free jazz posted:

Ok.

They talk about a twenty three year old article in a journal with an impact factor of .59, and then Swedish dissertations come on man wasting my goddamn time

im glad you looked at like two tweets

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

I don't care that people believe these things, I care that they want to legislate other people into believing them too.

If Gender Studies was treated like Philosophy, and let people discover their own truth (everything is subjective, remember?) then most people wouldn't be pushing back so hard.

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

bongwizzard posted:

Depends where you measure from. If you're trying to claim half your taint as a dick then like you might as well just get an English degree.

You measure from the center of the anus forward.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

new phone who dis posted:

You measure from the center of the anus forward.

tbh that is likely the most easily reproducible way to measure.

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Hemingway To Go! posted:

I don't know how much poo poo that's wrong is about gender studies, the field, and how much is how people take concepts from ANY field and misunderstand them and turn them into buzzwords that fit into tweets for their own rear end-patting and incrowds.
I don't know if the gender spectrum and its applications is a different idea in academia, or if there's ideas in the field for actual useful social changes that the twitter libs have put on their block lists. Maybe it's like the difference between people who work in the tech field and people who gave money to the cicret bracelet kickstarter.

the journals i've read are pretty loving turds, but they're journals that i have access to as someone not in the field. so its not like they're cherry picking a few bad apples theres an entire sea of contradictory and logically flawed garbage but the real question is if there's actually well written gems hidden somewhere or if its all a bunch of posturing to give lip service to an ideology so they can rush people out the door with a $20000 degree

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
a bell hooks citation is the author's way of telling you to throw their paper in the garbage

Michael Bayleaf
Jun 4, 2006

Tortured By Flan
I ♥ big farts

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax

Frosted Flake posted:

I don't care that people believe these things, I care that they want to legislate other people into believing them too.

If Gender Studies was treated like Philosophy, and let people discover their own truth (everything is subjective, remember?) then most people wouldn't be pushing back so hard.

Yeah but our society is garbage so here comes bill C-16

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

Bulgogi Hoagie posted:

im glad you looked at like two tweets

yoo those were like the most recent tweets when I see that I'm not gonna spend like any more time reading their garbage words man i didn't cherry pick that

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

im the serious description of one's own academic work as "campy"

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax
im the person that ctrl+shift+F'ed the word "story" to "storey" without realizing that they correctly used the word "story" in the text

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"
Bring back NO MA'AM:

In all seriousness, I feel like gender studies gets picked on because---much like the critics piling on it in this dead gay forum---a lot of its proponents get their degrees in it from Google University and the School of Tumblr. Of course, it doesn't help when people try to write papers in a tongue-in-cheek style. It's funny at first because of the novelty, but it ends up detracting from the argument.

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We

sugar free jazz posted:

yoo those were like the most recent tweets when I see that I'm not gonna spend like any more time reading their garbage words man i didn't cherry pick that

i am very sorry you consider spending time on comedy to be below you

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Bogus Adventure posted:

In all seriousness, I feel like gender studies gets picked on because---much like the critics piling on it in this dead gay forum---a lot of its proponents get their degrees in it from Google University and the School of Tumblr. Of course, it doesn't help when people try to write papers in a tongue-in-cheek style. It's funny at first because of the novelty, but it ends up detracting from the argument.

In university I had a late empire Roman History class, and it was in the same room as a gender studies course so I often waited outside in the hall before class to get in. i would peek in the door occasionally, and sure enough the lectures were 90% Tumblr bullshit. one lecture was entirely on the topic of how men are rapists, another was about methods of activism, and another still was about patriarchy and male domination of society. the professor did not lecture like anyone in the history department, she had the tone of a preacher presenting you with the gospel truth.

when the class emptied out it was quite the sight to see. 50%+ of the women in the class were overweight to highly obese, and about 70% had hair dyed to an unnatural colour :v:

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

Rutibex posted:

In university I had a late empire Roman History class, and it was in the same room as a gender studies course so I often waited outside in the hall before class to get in. i would peek in the door occasionally, and sure enough the lectures were 90% Tumblr bullshit. one lecture was entirely on the topic of how men are rapists, another was about methods of activism, and another still was about patriarchy and male domination of society. the professor did not lecture like anyone in the history department, she had the tone of a preacher presenting you with the gospel truth.

when the class emptied out it was quite the sight to see. 50%+ of the women in the class were overweight to highly obese, and about 70% had hair dyed to an unnatural colour :v:

Such is our fate so long as we have an a la carte college system.

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM

Rutibex posted:

Gender Studies is the only department where I knew people who dropped their major/minor because they thought the professors were too hateful. They thought they were going to learn about issues that matter to women but were lectured about why men are terrible, and 18 year old girls usually aren't bitter enough to endure that.

Neutrino
Mar 8, 2006

Fallen Rib

Stink Billyums posted:

Gender Studies is the only department where I knew people who dropped their major/minor because they thought the professors were too hateful. They thought they were going to learn about issues that matter to women but were lectured about why men are terrible, and 18 year old girls usually aren't bitter enough to endure that.

It's hard to imagine a college program that could be worse than Gender Studies.

quote:

Shelly Steward, Doctoral Candidate, Sociology, "The Moral Meaning of Work in an Age of Insecurity: Narratives of Commitment in the Oil and Gas Industry"

Count Freebasie
Jan 12, 2006

Bogus Adventure posted:

Bring back NO MA'AM:

Sounds like a fundraiser sponsored by Tobias and Lindsay.

Nick Rivers
Nov 23, 2004

Dicky B posted:

*unzips*

*whips out dick*

is this science?

microbiology!

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We

Nick Rivers posted:

microbiology!

:drat:

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

At what point will these people realize that most people aren't going to go much further ideologically than they already have? Genderqueer, genderfluidity, whatever clearly isn't a winning issue with the public.

Zajajaja
Jan 10, 2008
See the thing is, the public hasn't mattered to these people for a long time. Look at yale, they don't give a poo poo about the public in any form of policy (economic, social doesn't matter) unless they happen to appear look like an oppressed demographic and even then I bet you'd still get that whole 'internalized _____ism' argument.
It's an oligarchy, and it will continue to ignore the masses until they start stringing people up. We already have SEEN that happen and even then it barely made the machine stutter, it's truly frightening to see how little these people care about the opinions and actions of the people outside of the immediate system they reside in.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
You worthless cretin.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

El Boot
Mar 18, 2009

Thank Dog It's Friday
social constructs are, in fact, cool and good

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
im way smarter than those people haha

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Zajajaja posted:

that whole 'internalized _____ism' argument.

its the craziest loving thing because they disregard people in the exact same way that their own ideology describes as a core tool of oppression

oh, you only think that because you're a woman. if you were a man you'd understand
oh, you only think that because you're a white male. if you were oppressed you'd understand

*in extremely zizek voice* ideology. ideology. ideology

• Locked thread