Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

peanut with the shade

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

but if you pile old clothes in the shade they'll get damp and musty

Dr.Smasher
Nov 27, 2002

Cyberpunk 1987

ChickenOfTomorrow posted:

but if you pile old clothes in the shade they'll get damp and musty

Not if you dry them with fire

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

This weekend my mother visited, so we did a few renovation bits while talking.

The first thing was a fact-finding mission into flipping the front door since I don't like the current handedness. Not too many photos here but we figured out how to remove a eurocylinder lock and thence the multilocking system, but it turns out despite only needing to flip one latch, I'm going to have to buy a whole new multilock since they seem to be sealed gearboxes.

So we put that back for now, with increased understanding.

Next was prepping a wood oiling experiment to see what the minimum coverage requirement was to survive british winters. From left to right we have:
- Nothing (control)
- Waxed endgrain
- Waxed endgrain plus 2x oil coats and 1 coat UV protection (front only)
- Waxed endgrain plus 2x oil coats and 1 coat UV protection (all sides)

I'll fit those outside when I'm around in the daylight.

Last night at around 10pm I had a bit of a battle with myself over whether I should just go to bed or try to refit my light fittings since the wall was prepped. I decided to refit them, this was a mistake, because the first one always causes trouble.

All filled and sanded.

Wall drilled, rawl plugs, backing plate screwed in.

Stripped and trimmed the wiring.

It was at this point I remembered that the fitting screws have to go in *before* you screw the backplate to the wall so I took it off again and refitted the junction block.

TURNS OUT that trying to fix 5 wires into a free-hanging junction box while holding up a dang heavy light fitting is a goddamn shitfuck, but I finally did get it done, only to realise that the outer covering is about a cm wider all round and is up against the slope of the roof.

gently caress it, I'll quickly forget.

That took over an hour.

Today I did the other one, and didn't make any of the same mistakes, and only made one new one.

Fitted the backplate WITH the screws this time, and hung the fitting from the backplate with a ziptie while I wired it in. MUCH easier.

The new mistake was that I eyeballed level on it since I didn't want to go downstairs to get my level (which is the new going to the hardware store for things) and it didn't turn out all that level, but gently caress it it's fine.

Only a mild electrical scare once it was done and various lights didn't turn on, because at some point during the process all the RCDs in the house tripped, but they're quite sensitive and everything was fine after I reset them.

And the other two awaiting the same treatment.

I'm probably going to move my sleep zone into another room so I can really dig into this one without having to move heavy things around and cover them up while working dusty.

My dad has also offered to come down and help out with things one weekend, and while my mother is genuine in her desire to help, I'm limited in what I'll have her do as I don't trust her with a hammer. Her help will be invaluable when it comes to soft furnishings, though.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

I finally got around to mounting the variously prepped woods outside, so now I have this true detective poo poo all over the place. They can sit there a few months and see how it goes.

Today I moved my Sleep Zone into another room so I can dig into work in the bedroom without having to manage the dust so much, leaving this slug trail of slightly cleaner subfloor in the process. Manoeuvring a 7x7ft mattress solo through two 6.5ft tall doorways and round a corner without falling off an unprotected landing is tricky, but now it's done and I laid it on top of the slats from my old kingsize bed so it can stay ventilated underneath until I have a proper bed to put it on.

Under the bed is about the only place without ground in dust upstairs, so we can clearly see that these boards were supposed to be glued down, which they weren't, which also explains why they creak. I still have a task prepped to replace all the screws with better ones but now I can at least double up like I was doing without any worry that they were supposed to be left loose for expansion and contraction.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Apparently when I boarded the nib wall, one of the parts of one of the boards wasn't quite fixed well enough, probably a screw tearing loose during plastering. So I drilled some holes, filled them with a tough glue, and smoothed it down. I'll sand it down prior to painting.

I need to start clearing nozzles out on my stuff before using, since half way into the process the back of the tube blew out from the pressure like a burst aneurism in a constipated grandma.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

New door lock thinger has arrived, and I was initially thrown because it's got square ends, the one in my door has rounded ends, and it only then occurred to me that it didn't say on the website which this is.

Spoke to the seller (and I could feel my northern accent returning with force as it started to match his) and he clarified that they need cutting to length anyway and you can either round off the ends yourself or chisel the square out of the routing. Apparently the main reason they sell rounded ones at all is that the router bits are round and so leave rounded ends on the cut out, and the manufacturer can save effort by not squaring them off.

I actually like the look of the rounded ends so I'm not sure which approach I'm going to take, but either way it shouldn't be much hassle. I still don't have a reliable way to cut metal neatly, though, so maybe it's time to pick up a metal-cutting blade for the mitre or circular saws. Otherwise it'll be cutting & grinding discs in the angle grinder.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Angle grinder will be fine for that.

E: metal blade will probably spin far too fast in those saws, unless they have speed controllers.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

cakesmith handyman posted:

E: metal blade will probably spin far too fast in those saws, unless they have speed controllers.

I'll have to do my homework on that one. I could do with writing down the speeds of my saws to compare against max speeds of blades.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
I only like it when there's pictures.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

NotJustANumber99 posted:

I only like it when there's pictures.

You will take my text updates, 99, and you will like it. Theatre of the goddamn mind.

Imagine an 8ft long poster tube with a fedex label on it. That's all there was to see.

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.

Jaded Burnout posted:

You will take my text updates, 99, and you will like it. Theatre of the goddamn mind.

Imagine an 8ft long poster tube with a fedex label on it. That's all there was to see.

But you didn't pay your rat tax.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

I can now add 5ltr of 99% isopropyl alcohol to the 10kg of sodium bicarbonate and 25ltr of deionised water lying about the house. I wonder if I'm on a list yet.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Is this for a party?

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Is this for a party?

It's.. actually all for cleaning now I think about it. The bicarb for cleaning baked on grease in pans etc, the alcohol for swabbing electronics.

I obviously don't need that much of any of it but economies of scale and all that.

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

Jaded Burnout posted:

I actually like the look of the rounded ends so I'm not sure which approach I'm going to take, but either way it shouldn't be much hassle. I still don't have a reliable way to cut metal neatly, though, so maybe it's time to pick up a metal-cutting blade for the mitre or circular saws. Otherwise it'll be cutting & grinding discs in the angle grinder.

Have a watch of project binky on youtube and see what marvels of metalwork they create using a hang held angle grinder. Draw your cut lines first with a marker (on both sides of the material) and then take it slow and easy so you get tidy straight cuts and your grinder will be fine!

Oscar Romeo Romeo
Apr 16, 2010

You... you skipped the important cardboard prototyping!

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

I need to rent a wall chaser but it's loads and it's 110 volts so I need a loving transformer etc too. It's loads. It's literally a metre vertical then some faffing for taps. Do I do that? It buy a poo poo one? Or second hand. Or have at it with my grinder or what?

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Or have at it with my grinder or what?

I would do this and then definitely regret it.

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010
what are the cheaperst doors i can get away with for putting up in a double doorway leading into the sitting room that stop at least some sound? even the 20 quid ones here have defcent ratings https://www.diy.com/departments/doors-windows/internal-doors/DIY566705.cat

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Vs. no doors at all? Yes the £21 doors will reduce sound. If they're well fitted with smallest possible gaps they'll do better also.

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010
thanks! i suppose i mean the diffference between those and £50 doors in terms of sound and durability

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

Breath Ray posted:

thanks! i suppose i mean the diffference between those and £50 doors in terms of sound and durability

Those £21 doors are just a hollow core. If you push your budget up to £38 you can get an 'engineered construction' one, which is effectively a solid piece of material (made out of lots of smaller pieces) which surely should be a lot better.

We also seem to have hijacked jaded burnout's thread here. Maybe you should get your thread title changed? ;)

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Today I spent quite a few hours repairing my phone. Very slow, concentrated, deliberate work.

Issues:
1. The cameras were fuzzy or outright unusable because of dust ingress
2. The screen was cracked due to a dent getting under the screen before being pressed down
3. May as well replace the battery while I'm in there.

Prepare for a leap in image quality since I'm by necessity using my proper camera.

Delicately pop it open.

Detach enough cables to open it all the way

More cables disconnected, face is now off

Ready to attack the body, ugh, filthy

First up, battery replacement. Hit the underside of the battery with a heat gun about as much as I dared, then slowly and carefully levered the battery out. Actually just prepend "slowly and carefully" to any verbs here, there's a reason it took like 5 hours.

It was around this point that a roofer arrived to quote some work finishing off the back skylights, and we all love a diversion.

Back at it, removed the main camera and gave it a clean

This dent on the front-right is what caused the cracked screen, so best to get that out before putting everything back together. Levered it a bit using some needle nose pliers (I need better ones) which didn't have the prettiest result but got the job done. Trimmed the aluminium burr back with a knife.

I had to do this a bit more when fitting the screen back on since it was still interfering, but wasn't a huge amount more needed.

Some isopropyl alcohol, swabs, and compressed air later and we're ready for phase 2

New battery adhesives and battery. This was somewhat fiddly.

Moving on to the screen, I had to remove a bunch of parts off the old one to fit on the new one. This part was extremely fiddly so I didn't stop for photos, but with a lot of focus and attention to detail I got it done without losing or breaking anything.

Parts transferred, and new screen in position to reattach

Everything back in and ready to go

And done. Amazingly everything works.

Now I just need to run the battery down and full charge it, and we're good to go.

Jaded Burnout fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Feb 16, 2019

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

If we were all robots this would be some real weird serial killer poo poo.

TheMightyHandful
Dec 8, 2008

Jaded Burnout posted:

Today I spent quite a few hours repairing my phone. Very slow, concentrated, deliberate work

After the 5/5s they're next to impossible to fix, i hosed up my 6 :(

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

NotJustANumber99 posted:

If we were all robots this would be some real weird serial killer poo poo.

Or just a surgical training video. A lot really depends on the voiceover.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

TheMightyHandful posted:

After the 5/5s they're next to impossible to fix, i hosed up my 6 :(

Oh no :( The 5s was hard enough to work on.

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010
thanks for the words of wisdom on the doors. i think i will go for the £38 ones. incredibly my handyman quoted me £500 to get the carpenter to fix them to size and fit them, which seems very expensive - but maybe it isnt. thoughts?

on phones, i hear that when you get your screen replaced and you let your phone out of your sight for a minute its not uncommon for the experts to remove your battery and replace it with a much worse one which provides 30% of battery life before replacing the screen. does anyone have any experience of this?

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Breath Ray posted:

thanks for the words of wisdom on the doors. i think i will go for the £38 ones. incredibly my handyman quoted me £500 to get the carpenter to fix them to size and fit them, which seems very expensive - but maybe it isnt. thoughts?

That's like 5 days of work. How many doors do you have to fit?

Breath Ray posted:

on phones, i hear that when you get your screen replaced and you let your phone out of your sight for a minute its not uncommon for the experts to remove your battery and replace it with a much worse one which provides 30% of battery life before replacing the screen. does anyone have any experience of this?

:tinfoil:

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

Breath Ray posted:

I heard sometimes when you get your battery replaced, they replace your screen with one that's 70% smaller.

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010

Jaded Burnout posted:

That's like 5 days of work. How many doors do you have to fit?

:tinfoil:

just a couple! two doors. a pair.. of doors. one set..of double doors? anyway, £100 a day is ok in my book. i'll give the guys the green light. and hope they dont cut through the internet cable like when they installed a new doorbell...!

but actually before any of that my next project is fixing the electric shower. ive alwsys hated those thigns. crap pressure and fluctuating temperatures that go in my tenants' words 'from hell to everest' in a flash. anyone know a decent brand where the setup is fairly simple?

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Breath Ray posted:

just a couple! two doors. a pair.. of doors. one set..of double doors? anyway, £100 a day is ok in my book. i'll give the guys the green light. and hope they dont cut through the internet cable like when they installed a new doorbell...!

Sorry what I meant was you're paying for 5 days of work, I can't imagine fitting two doors taking that long, though to be fair I've not seen it done. Perhaps ask them to break it down and get another quote too?

Breath Ray posted:

but actually before any of that my next project is fixing the electric shower. ive alwsys hated those thigns. crap pressure and fluctuating temperatures that go in my tenants' words 'from hell to everest' in a flash. anyone know a decent brand where the setup is fairly simple?

I bought a Triton one cheap as a temporary replacement and it was at least stable and decent pressure. My understanding is that more kW is better for providing stable temperature since it can heat the flowing water faster (your power supply notwithstanding).

Make sure you get the right type for the water supply you have, e.g. direct from cold mains or "low pressure" which I guess is tank fed? Not sure.

Jaded Burnout fucked around with this message at 13:42 on Feb 19, 2019

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010
thanks for the tip-off on kW. did you install the triton yourself? seems like a doddle frokm the online reviews https://www.diy.com/departments/triton-t80-easi-fit-white-electric-shower-8-5-kw/207706_BQ.prd

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Breath Ray posted:

thanks for the tip-off on kW. did you install the triton yourself? seems like a doddle frokm the online reviews https://www.diy.com/departments/triton-t80-easi-fit-white-electric-shower-8-5-kw/207706_BQ.prd

I had a plumber do it because I try to avoid messing with electrics or plumbing and definitely not both together. These days I might do it myself, since it'd only be temporary and I understand a little more about plumbing than I did at the time.

It was a quick job, though, so a cheap one even with a pro doing it.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Last two lights dug out and first pass filled. I'll try to do the second pass tomorrow night.

Applesnots
Oct 22, 2010

MERRY YOBMAS

I have never found a house to contain a single right angle . Nothing is ever square, It could be from the house shifting or poor workmanship. I have worked with companies that when it is un detectable to the un trained eye it is good. I have also worked for a bunch of old craftsmen that every angle and line was perfect, you paid for it though. Either way, neither really matters. I have done both. The tiny marks on the wall by the light? Wet sponge that and it will be gone, you will only know it is there, bit of paint and is gone forever. When you work on your own house you know what you did and what you did to hide your "crimes", so you focus on them more then anyone will ever. Hiding your crimes Is just good molding, taping and paint.

Applesnots fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Feb 21, 2019

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Applesnots posted:

I have never found a house to contain a single right angle . Nothing is ever square, It could be from the house shifting or poor workmanship. I have worked with companies that when it is un detectable to the un trained eye it is good. I have also worked for a bunch of old craftsmen that every angle and line was perfect, you paid for it though. Either way, neither really matters. I have done both. The tiny marks on the wall by the light? Wet sponge that and it will be gone, you will only know it is there, bit of paint and is gone forever. When you work on your own house you know what you did and what you did to hide your "crimes", so you focus on them more then anyone will ever. Hiding your crimes Is just good molding, taping and paint.

I mostly agree with this, the catch being that I'm doing this for me, so I don't really care what other people think, I care what I think.

That said, I've grown to learn my own boundaries on what will only piss me off in the short term and what is going to annoy me forever, hence not caring about the slightly badly fitted, er, fitting. I certainly don't care about aesthetic issues that I can't see. But I don't want to be staring daily at a problem that I could've fixed.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Some quick jobs between general housekeeping and making sure I still have a bit of a break.

Quick fine fill of the lighting runs, ready for sanding tomorrow.

Fitted a dust door to the room since the next phase is going to generate a whole lot of dust

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

I had some energy left at the end of the day so I refitted the last two lights

With the last of the light I checked that the builders' sand and bags of cement which have been out front for like a year were still OK for use. I mean, the sand is sand so it's fine, and the cement seems to still be good.

Then I popped down to the toolorama and bought some bits and pieces for doing a mortar. Tomorrow (if I get round to it) I get to learn a new skill while replacing some brick holes.