Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Uranium 235 posted:

Coinbase/GDAX and Gemini both allow cash withdrawals for US customers. I think Kraken does too for EU users. I'm not familiar with the Asian exchanges.

Yeah but they have a daily limit of $10k, so I don't think the billionaires are willing to wait for the heat death of the universe to launder their money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

JediTalentAgent posted:

The government should secretly be trying to buy up all the bitcoin and then figure out something nefarious to do with it.

The government doesn't need to launder it's drug money.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
its weird seeing people referring to buying 1 and only 1 thing in a marketplace for only that 1 thing and referring to it as "trading". like yikes water down that term a little more please. everyone on earth is a trader i guess. the kid next door is going long on 25 cent gumballs
just call it an investment and you dont sound delusional about yourself

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

gary oldmans diary posted:

its weird seeing people referring to buying 1 and only 1 thing in a marketplace for only that 1 thing and referring to it as "trading". like yikes water down that term a little more please. everyone on earth is a trader i guess. the kid next door is going long on 25 cent gumballs

no no, you don't understand, there's hundreds of near-indistinguishable internet pogs you can shuffle between

Minimalist Program
Aug 14, 2010
Update on bitcoin: i took home my initial investment today and left the earnings to see what happens with it.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Uranium 235 posted:

Coinbase/GDAX and Gemini both allow cash withdrawals for US customers. I think Kraken does too for EU users. I'm not familiar with the Asian exchanges.

this can't be true because it contradicts the gbs hivemind

shun the nonbeliever

scott zoloft
Dec 7, 2015

yeah same
who are all these idiots making free money by doing loving nothing

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

scott zoloft posted:

The Republican party?

COMRADES
Apr 3, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

scott zoloft posted:

lol

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

scott zoloft posted:

https://youtu.be/lAD6Obi7Cag

Minimalist Program
Aug 14, 2010
I made like 3k on bitcoin.

Minimalist Program
Aug 14, 2010
Over a 2 week period.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

if everyone keeps buying bitcoin it will keep going up and everyone will be rich hooray!

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Minimalist Program posted:

I made like 3k on bitcoin.

Yes but is it in your bank account, or just floating somewhere in the cloud

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
I wish I had money, even $6k :(

all I need is one bitcoin.

now i'm thinking of a story where someone goes through a bunch of poo poo just to get one bitcoin, then by the end of the story once he finally gets the bitcoin the price drops 10000%.

Mr. Merdle
Oct 17, 2007

THE GREAT MANBABY SUCCESSOR

Inept posted:

if everyone keeps buying bitcoin it will keep going up and everyone will be rich hooray!

Turns out that Bitcoin was the left's master plan to redistribute all of the wealth!

Uranium 235
Oct 12, 2004

buying and selling things on an exchange for profit is trading, what are you even trying to argue

edit: well selling them for a loss is also trading but i would recommend trying to avoid that

Uranium 235 fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Nov 10, 2017

Haramstufe Rot
Jun 24, 2016

not to gloat or anything but I got some bitcoins when y'all were hating on it and now i got a lot of imaginary numbers to my name

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

divabot posted:

pretty much. as i consistently say (and as that article ham sandwich thoroughly self-owned with earlier in the thread concurs), you can make money in cryptos! IF you are that good a trader. otherwise you will get loving skinned.

if you want to have a gamble, by all means. but don't put in more than you can seriously afford to have go up in smoke, and don't pretend you're doing something other than gambling.

The guy that wrote a book about what a scam bitcoins are has walked his claims all the way back to "go ahead and take a chance on trading bitcoins if you want" which is pretty much the position I was advocating in June when Bitcoins were $2500. He has to repeat the Gambling claim because he's Not Wrong, you see.

This of course while repeating misleading poo poo about some article that self owned, I guess divabot can't stray too far from the playbook, "keep repeating stuff that isnt true in hopes other people will believe it" must be entry #1 in said book. I call bullshit on this just like I called bullshit on your idiotic stance this summer.

Tell me dude, since I was peddling the line "maybe bitcoins aren't a scam as the yospos crew has declared and maybe you should consider for yourself whether you want to mess with them instead of believing bullshit graphs and made up tales of bitcoin and exchange theft / fraud" what exactly do we disagree on at this point?

Finally:
you wrote a loving book about a what a scam bitcoins are and people should avoid them, literally wasted 6 months of your life writing total bullshit, and casually sitting here dropping lines like "lmao that guy that was right posted an article that totally owned him by calling bitcoin a currency, one time". Is articulating disingenuous bullshit something that comes with being a unix sysadmin rationalwiki editor reddit mod or do you just choose to be that way?

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

a bone to pick posted:

I wish I had money, even $6k :(

all I need is one bitcoin.

now i'm thinking of a story where someone goes through a bunch of poo poo just to get one bitcoin, then by the end of the story once he finally gets the bitcoin the price drops 10000%.

MP will give u a btc.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Ham Sandwiches posted:

The guy that wrote a book about what a scam bitcoins are has walked his claims all the way back to "go ahead and take a chance on trading bitcoins if you want" which is pretty much the position I was advocating in June when Bitcoins were $2500. He has to repeat the Gambling claim because he's Not Wrong, you see.

This of course while repeating misleading poo poo about some article that self owned, I guess divabot can't stray too far from the playbook, "keep repeating stuff that isnt true in hopes other people will believe it" must be entry #1 in said book. I call bullshit on this just like I called bullshit on your idiotic stance this summer.

Tell me dude, since I was peddling the line "maybe bitcoins aren't a scam as the yospos crew has declared and maybe you should consider for yourself whether you want to mess with them instead of believing bullshit graphs and made up tales of bitcoin and exchange theft / fraud" what exactly do we disagree on at this point?

Finally:
you wrote a loving book about a what a scam bitcoins are and people should avoid them, literally wasted 6 months of your life writing total bullshit, and casually sitting here dropping lines like "lmao that guy that was right posted an article that totally owned him by calling bitcoin a currency, one time". Is articulating disingenuous bullshit something that comes with being a unix sysadmin rationalwiki editor reddit mod or do you just choose to be that way?

This poster is angry.

MoreLikeTen
Oct 21, 2012

The farmer's mistake was believing he had any control over his life.
These digital tulip bulbs can only go up up up!

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

MoreLikeTen posted:

These digital tulip bulbs can only go up up up!

up Up UP is the historical quote.

MoreLikeTen
Oct 21, 2012

The farmer's mistake was believing he had any control over his life.
If it's a scam how come some people are making money???

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

Uranium 235 posted:

buying and selling things on an exchange for profit is trading, what are you even trying to argue

edit: well selling them for a loss is also trading but i would recommend trying to avoid that
you wrote "things" with an "s" for some reason
im not arguing anything. just trying to help people calling themselves traders for buying bitcoin sound less delusional when they talk to people. if you dont sound grounded you cant sound credible

Uranium 235
Oct 12, 2004

you wrote "things" with an "s" for some reason
im not arguing anything. just trying to help people calling themselves traders for buying bitcoin sound less delusional when they talk to people. if you dont sound grounded you cant sound credible
i've bought and sold dozens of different coins

i traded btc, eth, and ltc today

btc, eth, ltc, omg, trst, qtum, and strat yesterday

so what is your point here?

also, there is no reason that a trader can't trade one thing and one thing only. even if i only traded bitcoin, your argument would be dumb and strong

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
lol ok wallstreet :kiddo:
i said my point in the post you just quoted and there you go making a perfect example of why its good advice

Uranium 235 posted:

even if i only traded bitcoin, your argument would be dumb and strong
lol what? my argument would be dumb and strong? is there some post signing going on here?

gary oldmans diary fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Nov 10, 2017

Uranium 235
Oct 12, 2004

oh you

Uranium 235
Oct 12, 2004

i said my point in the post you just quoted and there you go making a perfect example of why its good advice
lol what? my argument would be dumb and strong? is there some post signing going on here?

whoops that was supposed to be "wrong"

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
thinking of doing some a.1. steak sauce trades before market close

Uranium 235 posted:

whoops that was supposed to be "wrong"
please stop signing your posts. we dont do that here

Blade Runner
Aug 14, 2015

Ham Sandwiches posted:

Finally:

"Made up tales"

How many unicorns are in your world

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
i like how ham sandwiches started his angry post there with how he understands bitcoin being a scam and trying to make money with it to be 2 mutually exclusive ideas

after all these years he still cant comprehend both being true at the same time. number go higher: "not a scam :smug:". then his posts goes on from that jumping point

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Uranium 235 posted:

you see that as a bad thing, i see that as a good thing. those are catalysts that bring volume into the market and provide opportunities for me to make profitable trades. yesterday, bitcoin rose $400 dollars in an hour, then dropped $1000 over the next hour. many altcoins were prompted to rise by 10-20%. it was my most profitable day in the past couple of weeks because i already had a plan for what i'd do when the fork was resolved, even though i was surprised by it being canceled

seriously if you're day trading and the market has enough liquidity for you to make your trades without slippage then why would you care? thin markets have high volatility and that's exactly what i want. the volatility of the crypto markets is what enables me to be as profitable as i've been without using any margin. some altcoins do have low volume and liquidity and that makes them difficult to trade unless there's a catalyst that brings in volume.

the guy i responded to is wrong, bitcoin and crypto markets are great for day trading

edit: to be clear, people who trade crypto with margin are dumb and just asking to lose money. they're the ones who are most at risk from flash crashes. XBT is what Bitmex calls BTC, and 1 contract is $1, so this person lost a lot of money

https://twitter.com/BitmexRekt/status/928331335428603904

Your argument in the post right before this one was that bitcoin's liquidity isn't thin at all on the big exchanges.

It's interactions like these that lead people to conclude that bitcoiners are cultist idiots

QuarkJets fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Nov 10, 2017

Blade Runner
Aug 14, 2015

No matter how much I post "Yes, some people make money off of scams. That is the loving point of scams you idiot, that is why people run them, to make the money from the stupid people who buy into the scam." he will never acknowledge it

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

QuarkJets posted:

It's exchanges like these that lead people to conclude that bitcoiners are cultist idiots
for me its exchanges like this

Uranium 235 posted:

trying to help people calling themselves traders for buying bitcoin sound less delusional when they talk to people. if you dont sound grounded you cant sound credible
i've bought and sold dozens of different coins

i traded btc, eth, and ltc today

btc, eth, ltc, omg, trst, qtum, and strat yesterday

so what is your point

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

poverty goat posted:

this can't be true because it contradicts the gbs hivemind

shun the nonbeliever

literally 1 guy = THE GBS HIVEMIND

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Ham Sandwiches posted:

maybe don't talk about books that you clearly haven't even read

CassandraZara
Oct 21, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

QuarkJets posted:

personally I'm waiting for the movie

Ups_rail
Dec 8, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
okay so I have an old laptop hard drive a drawer somewhere that has like .0X amount of bitcoins on it. HOW DO I GET THOSE COINS OFF THE HARD DRIVE???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

the absolutely key point is that i've made >£4000 more from bitcoins than you have

QuarkJets posted:

Ham Sandwiches, drop me a PM or an email to dgerard@gmail.com and i will email you an epub of the book

Ups_rail posted:

okay so I have an old laptop hard drive a drawer somewhere that has like .0X amount of bitcoins on it. HOW DO I GET THOSE COINS OFF THE HARD DRIVE???

a hammer is a good start