Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Xombie posted:

Where did people stand in line for 8 hours on Super Tuesday? Or stand in line for a minute to vote in Washington?

Well you're right it was only 6 hours on Super Tuesday! That's oh so more reasonable to normal humans with normal human jobs and normal human bosses who always follow the letter of the law when it comes to labor rights!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

sit on my Facebook posted:

So you think trump is the preferable option

Because it's literally a binary choice. One of the two of them is going to win.

Anybody who tells you with a straight face that they know Trump is the worse long term option is lying to you, at this point the only plausible argument you could make is that Biden isn't CLEARLY worse than Trump in the long run

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

He was telling his supporters to go vote on the 17th in places like FL and Michigan which have since traced a lot of COVID-19 cases to poll sites

Meanwhile the Bernie campaign was telling people to be careful and that they were not going to be doing organizing because of the virus threat

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Arist posted:

Why is it on me to vote for Biden instead of on Biden to not suck if he wants my vote

Cause TRUMP

Unoriginal Name
Aug 1, 2006

by sebmojo

And to many, the result is functionally the same.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Drop the attitude and figure out how to earn votes on more than "He's not Trump".

Xombie
May 22, 2004

Soul Thrashing
Black Sorcery

Lemming posted:

"Nothing a candidate says matters" is a bold take

That does sound like a bold take! Can you link me to the person who said that?

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

Gumball Gumption posted:

Drop the attitude and figure out how to earn votes on more than "He's not Trump".

lmfao why's it on us to figure out how to earn more votes for one rapist or the other

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

To play devil's advocate, if someone believes a Biden presidency will be a disaster, it means that Trump winning makes it more likely there is a good president in 2025.

Xombie
May 22, 2004

Soul Thrashing
Black Sorcery

Trabisnikof posted:

Well you're right it was only 6 hours on Super Tuesday! That's oh so more reasonable to normal humans with normal human jobs and normal human bosses who always follow the letter of the law when it comes to labor rights!

You still aren't naming these places.

Peacoffee
Feb 11, 2013

WoodrowSkillson posted:

lol it loving owns

admittedly being under qualified and underpaid for the job im assigned, when its not what i signed up for or interviewed for, at the inexplicable expense of the company's bottom line, is very on brand for capitalism.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Xombie posted:

Gladly

Xombie posted:

Oh yes all those people who weren't going to vote but went out to vote for Biden because he said so, such as <data missing>.

Obviously if Biden had told people voting wasn't safe some of them would have stayed home and lived, instead he didn't so they voted and will die

Unoriginal Name
Aug 1, 2006

by sebmojo
Listen, if someone is willing to lie to you about being better than Trump, they are clearly better than Trump himself even if they perform functionally the same actions.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Xombie posted:

there's some moron who said that just because Biden said he'd veto medicare for all is no reason to think Biden would veto medicare for all, does that count

Xombie
May 22, 2004

Soul Thrashing
Black Sorcery

Lemming posted:

Gladly

Obviously if Biden had told people voting wasn't safe some of them would have stayed home and lived, instead he didn't so they voted and will die

Oh man now I see why you use the small words. You can't read.

DreamingofRoses
Jun 27, 2013
Nap Ghost

Gumball Gumption posted:

How many people are going to ignore what he puts in his platform because he’s not Bernie, though? How many are just going to close their eyes and ears to any attempt his campaign makes to reach out?

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.

Tatsuta Age posted:

lmfao why's it on us to figure out how to earn more votes for one rapist or the other

What? I don't think you read his post properly. He's saying the onus is on Biden supporters.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Arist posted:

Why is it on me to vote for Biden instead of on Biden to not suck if he wants my vote

Because that's the incel mindset. You're a bad person for not being attracted to the candidate, who is otherwise entitled to your adoration.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

DreamingofRoses posted:

How many people are going to ignore what he puts in his platform because he’s not Bernie, though? How many are just going to close their eyes and ears to any attempt his campaign makes to reach out?

Figure out how to reach them and earn votes. Shaming people will get nowhere.

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land

rare Magic card l00k posted:

To play devil's advocate, if someone believes a Biden presidency will be a disaster, it means that Trump winning makes it more likely there is a good president in 2025.

This seems to be the core proposition behind this argument and I am faaaaaar from persuaded that it's valid

Why should I believe that four more years of trump leads to better outcomes? Isn't it equally likely, or indeed far more so, that 4 more years of trump even further entrenches Republican minority rule?

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

WOWEE ZOWEE posted:

What? I don't think you read his post properly. He's saying the onus is on Biden supporters.

why is it on ANY SUPPORTERS to EARN VOTES for their lovely candidate. That is literally 100% of the candidate's job pre-election: to earn votes

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer
You'd think after 4 years of Trump people would've finally realized the folly of the reductive logic of "Both parties are the same" and yet here we are, most of us sequestered as a direct result of the South Park "Douche vs Turd" fallacy while people drown in their own lung fluids, faced with an even worse choice by a lot of metrics. At least Hillary wasn't a rapist.

Hence why I'm putting my faith and energy in downticket races. Maybe we can get rid of Steny Hoyer.

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

Xombie posted:

"You're looking at an additional seat in Arizona or Georgia, both R+5 states PVI. I'll give you a 50/50 shot at any of them" is what you said. Jones is polling two digits in the hole against Jeff Sessions. He's no doubt not doing much better against Tuberville. I'm also taking issue with "That's still a less than 50% chance to flip all three." of CO, ME, and NC. The way that you're doing the electoral math just doesn't make any sense. Where are you getting your numbers from?
Ok.

75% chance of flipping CO, ME, and NC each.
.75*.75*.75 = .422, the odds of flipping all three.

Three seats doesn't flip the Senate. You need AL, GA, or AZ. 50% chance of flipping them, each.
.5*.5*.5 = .125, the odds of failing to flip ANY of the seats.

I over simplify and assume that if don't flip CO/ME/NC you don't flip the next set. I can do the math on the scenarios where Collins or Gardner retain but McSally doesn't, but who fuckong cares.

Even if you assume that the Democrats are an overwhelming favorite in those three states - which they're not, Cook has them as Tossups - and even if you assume they've got about an even chance in the next three states - Cook has AL and GA as Lean R - the Democrats don't have great odds on winning four out of six states. If we give the Democrats more realistic odds of winning four tossups and two Lean R races, the chances of flipping the Senate are even worse.

Because, and I'll say this again, having to win four out of six coin flips is bad even when you have a weighted coin.

Peacoffee
Feb 11, 2013

Xombie posted:

You are who this subforum was named after lol

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Xombie posted:

LA, Houston, Sherman Oaks Cali juast from the first loving google hit.

https://www.businessinsider.com/people-waited-hours-to-vote-super-tuesday-called-lines-ridiculous-2020-3

DreamingofRoses
Jun 27, 2013
Nap Ghost

Gumball Gumption posted:

Figure out how to reach them and earn votes. Shaming people will get nowhere.

Neither does putting progressive ideas in your platform apparently.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Xombie posted:

https://twitter.com/edlavaCNN/status/1235107988798488583?s=20

Xombie posted:

So you think that nobody listens to Biden or you just consider the people getting killed to be non-human

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Tatsuta Age posted:

why is it on ANY SUPPORTERS to EARN VOTES for their lovely candidate. That is literally 100% of the candidate's job pre-election: to earn votes

Because supporters are part of the campaign. They volunteer, they donate, they have input on policy, and they reach out to potential voters and help the candidate earn votes.

At least that's how it works on the left.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

Gumball Gumption posted:

If the vote of the left is necessary to beat Trump than they need to earn that vote. Failing to build a coalition because all you can offer is "I'm not Trump!" is on the party and not on the voters that they constantly try to shame for not falling in line.

I mean the inherent problem here is that there is lots in the Democratic platform Biden can offer as a "Not Trump" candidate, like immigration, infrastructure, campaign finance reform, labor, climate policy, LGBTQ protections, etc. You might argue that these plans lack substance and don't go nearly far enough, which to a large degree I'd agree with. But they do exist, and even if you don't trust him to carry these plans out (As many posters have openly stated), that's an entirely different argument.

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!

DreamingofRoses posted:

So what a candidate has done in the past has no bearing on what they will do, only what they have on a platform actually has bearing?

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

Acebuckeye13 posted:

I mean the inherent problem here is that there is lots in the Democratic platform Biden can offer as a "Not Trump" candidate, like immigration, infrastructure, campaign finance reform, labor, climate policy, LGBTQ protections, etc. You might argue that these plans lack substance and don't go nearly far enough, which to a large degree I'd agree with. But they do exist, and even if you don't trust him to carry these plans out (As many posters have openly stated), that's an entirely different argument.

Cool, so should I be voting based on the lies/dreams that Biden has on that page, or his actual voting record over many decades doing the opposite of those things?

Unoriginal Name
Aug 1, 2006

by sebmojo

Angry_Ed posted:

You'd think after 4 years of Trump people would've finally realized the folly of the reductive logic of "Both parties are the same" and yet here we are, most of us sequestered as a direct result of the South Park "Douche vs Turd" fallacy while people drown in their own lung fluids, faced with an even worse choice by a lot of metrics. At least Hillary wasn't a rapist.

Hence why I'm putting my faith and energy in downticket races. Maybe we can get rid of Steny Hoyer.

who was in the administration that helped get us trump, somebody remind me

I have this unfortunate malady where I cant remember more than 4 years

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

DreamingofRoses posted:

yeah, its hard to deal with a credibility gap

DreamingofRoses
Jun 27, 2013
Nap Ghost
Hey, y’all remember how so many people in this thread were making GBS threads on Stacy Abrams because she took money from people they didn’t like to try and make voting more accessible?

Lessail posted:

So what a candidate has done in the past has no bearing on what they will do, only what they have on a platform actually has bearing?

It is, in fact, a combination of both and of continuous external pressure from constituents, but nuance is hard.

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE

Acebuckeye13 posted:

lots in the Democratic platform Biden can offer as a "Not Trump" candidate, like immigration, infrastructure, campaign finance reform, labor, climate policy, LGBTQ protections, etc.

wow cool, a bunch of lies

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Acebuckeye13 posted:

lol, I clicked on the first one and he's not defunding ICE so I'm missing what's progressive about that.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Gumball Gumption posted:

lol, I clicked on the first one and he's not defunding ICE so I'm missing what's progressive about that.

A higher ratio of prison guards to caged children so they can get more of the attention they need

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

Tibalt posted:

Ok.

75% chance of flipping CO, ME, and NC each.
.75*.75*.75 = .422, the odds of flipping all three.

Three seats doesn't flip the Senate. You need AL, GA, or AZ. 50% chance of flipping them, each.
.5*.5*.5 = .125, the odds of failing to flip ANY of the seats.

I over simplify and assume that if don't flip CO/ME/NC you don't flip the next set. I can do the math on the scenarios where Collins or Gardner retain but McSally doesn't, but who fuckong cares.

Even if you assume that the Democrats are an overwhelming favorite in those three states - which they're not, Cook has them as Tossups - and even if you assume they've got about an even chance in the next three states - Cook has AL and GA as Lean R - the Democrats don't have great odds on winning four out of six states. If we give the Democrats more realistic odds of winning four tossups and two Lean R races, the chances of flipping the Senate are even worse.

Because, and I'll say this again, having to win four out of six coin flips is bad even when you have a weighted coin.

Technically they only need to win three since they'll have the VP, though that'll also make Joe Manchin the most important man in the senate and thus give McMagic apoplexy.

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!

DreamingofRoses posted:

Hey, y’all remember how so many people in this thread were making GBS threads on Stacy Abrams because she took money from

It is, in fact, a combination of both and of continuous external pressure from constituents, but nuance is hard.

So taking a politician at face value who has a past of doing nothing he claims to support now that he is the closest he's been to power is nuance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Tatsuta Age posted:

Cool, so should I be voting based on the lies/dreams that Biden has on that page, or his actual voting record over many decades doing the opposite of those things?

I voted for Bernie and trusted him to implement the gun control and immigration policies he campaigned on, even though he has shifted on those positions.

If you think it is all a lie, then that is fine. But, there's no real reason to keep posting that because there's nothing to discuss.

7 pages of "He's lying" vs. "No, he isn't." is unreadable and circular.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Apr 8, 2020