Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

nine-gear crow posted:

After so many failed attempts, it's nice to see that someone on SA has finally got a complete LP of Xenoblade in the can.

*A couple of hours later*
"So the footage for the final fight got corrupted somehow, and the hard drive with the source broke down too."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stryth
Apr 7, 2018

Got bread?
GIVE BREADS!

Cooked Auto posted:

"So the footage for the final fight got corrupted somehow, and the hard drive with the source broke down too."

Seems like XB is trying to maintain it's Un-LP'd status. Careful or it might blow up your pc next.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
We've (almost) had one Xenoblade, yes, but what about second Xenoblade?

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
Let's get through this thread before we worry about X or 2.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Cooked Auto posted:

Boy, am I glad my capture card didn't go on the fritz when recording for this LP. :v:

I actually had a contingency for the one time that my hardware did freak out on me and that footage is still a good ways from even being used anyway.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010
I find the comparisons to Xenoblade 2 interesting. I could not get into Xenoblade 2, and god I really wanted to. But the battle system felt so limited and slow in comparison, the Gacha stuff felt so pointless and flooded with useless generics, I just couldn't get into it.

Then again, I also find Xenoblade X to be a pretty good game, so all of my tastes are invalid. I really liked the gameplay in that, and that coasted me to the end.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
There are many words I could use to describe the Xenoblade 2 battle system but "limited and slow" are the last two. Busy and overwhelming is probably where I would start. :v:

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

I've probably mentioned it in this thread or in a video but I ended up replaying 2 after finishing DE so I could form a fresh opinion because it'd been a while and I can say with confidence that 2's systems have so much more depth and intricacies than 1's, but the game is so incredibly bad at explaining itself that I can definitely see where that impression comes from.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

I kinda like having to do the timing challenge to have future visions. That button is the party button (also Dunban's blossom dance button :ssh: ) so it's kinda unintentionally thematic.

ChaosArgate posted:

I've probably mentioned it in this thread or in a video but I ended up replaying 2 after finishing DE so I could form a fresh opinion because it'd been a while and I can say with confidence that 2's systems have so much more depth and intricacies than 1's, but the game is so incredibly bad at explaining itself that I can definitely see where that impression comes from.

:agreed:

Ignoring the gacha (:ughh: the gacha) the gameplay in 2 has so much depth, until you reach the endgame and it collapses again into leveraging the overpowered options but that's the fate of most jRPGs anyways.

Chronojam posted:

One of them, at least.

:v:

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
I definitely remembered the ending of the game, including the cigar dropping from Dickson's lips, and the gorgeous trip past the planets. I had Shulk, Dunban, and Fiora for my final boss-fighting party. I don't think I changed it at all.

I also remembered the twist with Meyneth, Zanza, and Alvis's origin, and the first-person Fiora ending. I haven't seen Future Connected, so that'll be entirely new to me. I'm watching an LP of Xenoblade Chronicles 2, but it's pretty early on, and I am not very impressed with what I've seen of XC 2 in gameplay, story, and character design. Good gods, the character design. It is not often that a game manage to completely sabotage its own storytelling because of the character designs alone, but XC 2 does.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Apr 22, 2021

Chaosbrain
Jun 13, 2013

Mad and loving it.
I first started playing Xenoblade on the 3DS, but stalled out after arriving at Eryth Sea. Then I got the DE on the Switch and finished it, but in the time between the two sessions I read the LP of Xenogears.

I am glad as hell that I did becuase it made the ending section of this game make a LOT more sense, in the “oh, THERES the Xeno-madness thumbprint.” I mean it was still a WTF kind of moment but it was one that was within understandable tolerances regarding the hyper-advanced space station, god machines and reality warping power sources.

Pharohman777
Jan 14, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
The thing about Xenoblade 2 is that you're lucky if you play it today, after all the dlc and patches.
Hell, I was lucky when I got it because I dove right into breath of the wild, which I got alongside xenoblade 2, and forgot about the game for a year while it got patched to up its quality considerably.

Because Monolith soft contributed quite a lot of manpower to Nintendo for Breath of the Wild, and as development on that title went on more people had to be taken off of the Xenoblade 2 dev team to work on Breath of the Wild.
That ended up making the menus and UI in Xenoblade 2 in need of a significant upgrade through patches as the games DLC started to come out.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Pharohman777 posted:

The thing about Xenoblade 2 is that you're lucky if you play it today, after all the dlc and patches.
Hell, I was lucky when I got it because I dove right into breath of the wild, which I got alongside xenoblade 2, and forgot about the game for a year while it got patched to up its quality considerably.

Because Monolith soft contributed quite a lot of manpower to Nintendo for Breath of the Wild, and as development on that title went on more people had to be taken off of the Xenoblade 2 dev team to work on Breath of the Wild.
That ended up making the menus and UI in Xenoblade 2 in need of a significant upgrade through patches as the games DLC started to come out.

On the other hand, unpatched Xenoblade 2 is also kind of fantastic

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FS99h5pJY2E

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010
I also gave up about 10 hours in or so, just wasn't having fun. Moving around in battle and auto-attacks felt really sluggish early on. Guess I hadn't reached the deep parts of the system yet.

Either way, looking forward to Future Connected, I have no understanding of it's plot or gameplay so this will be Fun.

Prowler
May 24, 2004

Krysmphoenix posted:

I also gave up about 10 hours in or so, just wasn't having fun. Moving around in battle and auto-attacks felt really sluggish early on. Guess I hadn't reached the deep parts of the system yet.

Either way, looking forward to Future Connected, I have no understanding of it's plot or gameplay so this will be Fun.

The systems are there, but the tutorials continue far into the game similar to Final Fantasy XIII. The best part about 2 is that you can attack cancel, so Rex can actually attack pretty quickly to fill up meter.

Ugh, considering playing it again.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I think Xenoblade 2 was definitely stronger on a combat/gameplay angle, but the parts of XBC1 I preferred include the setting, story, characters, character design, Heropon, and costumes. To be clear, I've played the gently caress out of both games. I've rolled credits at least twice on both and beaten every superboss available, and if you held me at gunpoint I could not tell you who the final boss of Xenoblade 2 is or what the gently caress he wanted. I really tried to care about the story and it did not happen.
Also XBC2 had you spend way too much time managing your equipment and blades and blade chips and affinities and food and arts.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

What the gently caress is up with Zanza's feet? Blade shoes? :v:

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

For a so-called god, Zanza goes down like a chump

Where's the first person kiss scene Xenoblade :colbert:

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Cooked Auto posted:

What the gently caress is up with Zanza's feet? Blade shoes? :v:
The hilarious part is that the outfit implies that the Bionis has that exact same design as well. Which, as the Bionis is made from Zanza, means he probably thought it looked cool.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Where's the first person kiss scene Xenoblade :colbert:

They didn't even hold hands at the final shot. Cowards the lot of them. :colbert:

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
Zanza out there rocking his Rhino warframe for the final boss fight. I can appreciate that. Gotta use the classics!

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Cooked Auto posted:

mastersord
Feb 15, 2001

Gold Card Putty Fan Club
Member Since 2017!
Soiled Meat

Krysmphoenix posted:

I find the comparisons to Xenoblade 2 interesting. I could not get into Xenoblade 2, and god I really wanted to. But the battle system felt so limited and slow in comparison, the Gacha stuff felt so pointless and flooded with useless generics, I just couldn't get into it.

Then again, I also find Xenoblade X to be a pretty good game, so all of my tastes are invalid. I really liked the gameplay in that, and that coasted me to the end.

The battle system in 2 felt slow in the beginning to me, but it opens up once it introduces it's systems. The Gatchapon system felt like they wanted to make a mobile game out of it or as a tie-in and it made no sense in the story either. Outside of field skills, generics blades were useless if you developed all your special blades. The management system for all the blades was also terrible. It took 15-20 seconds to get rid of a generic that was taking up space because it had to say a generic line and then gradually fade away so you'd feel bad for letting it go. Did they ever fix this?

DoubleNegative posted:

Zanza out there rocking his Rhino warframe for the final boss fight. I can appreciate that. Gotta use the classics!

More like a Hercules beetle but that's just my opinion

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Probably Nintendo chickening out at the last second at putting microtransactions into a none cellphone game. The same kinda thing happend with Nook Miles in the new Animal Crossing game, they are a neat little way to give you an incentive to go out and do little things on your island, but the fact that you never run out and you usually get a pittance when all the upgrades and customization options you'd WANT to buy cost thousands of points when you normally only get around 100 at a time.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

The curse has now only one option after being bested, to get worse.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Krysmphoenix posted:

Your move speed in battle is a mechanic that can change midfight or be adjusted from the start with equipment iirc. It's similar to XC1s tension.

As you level up your characters, you'll eventually start with every attack (button) ready to use, plus get increasingly bonkers cancel bonuses that encourage rapid attacks and chaining moves. You'll be a blender right out of the gate, and can basically cancel attacks across blade switches to chain elemental combos.

mastersord posted:

Did they ever fix this?

Yup

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

Krysmphoenix posted:

You can buy Narcipear Jelly in Argentum right from the start, or the slightly worse thing (Sparklesugar?) if you can’t afford it. Put that poo poo into everyone’s pouch.
Also, stutter stepping will fill up those specials even faster.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Xenoblade 2 has a million systems and a lot of them are entirely unnecessary.

Doesn't stop me from loving it to bits, warts and all. I'm not sure which of these games I prefer, in the end. I love them both.

Prowler
May 24, 2004

Silver Falcon posted:

Xenoblade 2 has a million systems and a lot of them are entirely unnecessary.

Doesn't stop me from loving it to bits, warts and all. I'm not sure which of these games I prefer, in the end. I love them both.

Each time I see gameplay video, I am reminded of yet another one of those ridiculous systems I had forgotten about. Field skill checks being among the most unnecessary.

fucking love Fiona Apple
Jun 19, 2013

samus comfy so what

Playing Xenoblade 2 alongside Chuggaconroy's lp has made it much more enjoyable. He does a very good job explaining it's systems.

It doesn't really save the game for me because I still hate the gacha system with a passion but it is easier to get into.

The DLC is fantastic though. Probably the most fun I've ever had playing a Xeno game. And the music obviously is fantastic.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
All that talk about battles in XC 2 being fun if you use attack cancelling and whatever might be all well and good, but that just seems like a terrible design if it's not fun unless you use attack cancelling. Especially because that's not a thing which a first-time player will know about. Like the one doing the blind playthrough of XC 2 I'm watching now. Those just look sluggish, dull, and they take forever.

Also, whoever thought "MEH-MEH-MEH!" was a good idea for a battle bark should be fired. Into the sun.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Alright that's enough Xenoblade 2 chat, we'll cross that bridge when we get there, but we still have a bit left on this LP to go.

Weeble
Feb 26, 2016
Gotta love Deep Voice Melia.

Was definitely a little jarring the first time I loaded Future Connected.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

Also, whoever thought "MEH-MEH-MEH!" was a good idea for a battle bark should be fired. Into the sun.

You were saying?

Future Connected. Turns out Sharla's moveset is not completely useless if the games kneecaps all other sources of healing AND the party's dps AND Shulk's visions.

Short summary of the plot: Melia finally catches a break.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

Weeble posted:

Gotta love Deep Voice Melia.

Was definitely a little jarring the first time I loaded Future Connected.

As people have said, its very surprising they managed to get Jenna Coleman back to voice Melia, she's a pretty big TV star here in the UK thesedays after all.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

So, how long until we find out that the Bionis Shoulder being able to still float in the air is related to the nonsense in Alcamoth?

On the other hand, I look forward to our eventual replacements for Dunban and Fiora, especially after how those two would chew through enemies in the main story.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
I may regret this next video, but I like these kids and hope they find a good field of poppies or something.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

The real epilogue is Shulk/Fiora/Melia going poly with each other

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I love the new battle track so much.