Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

please take a break from online you guys

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dire Lemming
Jan 19, 2016
If you don't coddle Nazis flat Earthers then you're literally as bad as them.

Farm Frenzy posted:

so why do you give a poo poo?

Because it sucks seeing people painted with a big "them" brush for misinterpreting a tweet that was worded in a way that specifically invites misinterpretation. In short Twitter bad.

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Centrists

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Dire Lemming posted:

It's also worded straight out of the conservative deniable plausibility handbook. If you don't believe me try the phrases "Muslim terrorists" or "Mexican criminals" instead, they're technically specific but you know what's being said when the usual suspects say it. It's not just bigots who would react negatively, it's literally anyone who feels defensive about the topic which considering it's anime-adjacent is a lot of people. It's certainly not intentional but it is poorly worded which has been pointed out is a theme with left twitter.
western bigots drawn to japanese vtuber fandoms because of, rather than in spite of, their lack of understanding of the language. functions similarly for them as muslim terrorists existing but not talking.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Dan can't imagine physically fighting against oppression, so I guess it's safe to assume when it comes down to it, their plan would be to give up? Talk about...

Folding Ideas. :smuggo:

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Max Wilco posted:

Well if and when violent revolution gets underway, you're more than welcome to shove a pistol against my head and paint the walls in grey matter. No one would blame you, and at this point, I really don't give a poo poo, and you'd be doing me a favor.

Go offline, speak to a therapist if you can, block twitter and see if you can find some greasemonkey script or something that stops tweets from auto-displaying on SA to reduce your impulse to read them then, because this brain-sick self-flagellation about how you'll readily die for a revolution is the most unhelpful thing in the world. Like no loving poo poo you'll die, like most of us in this thread would since we're all nonathletic nerds and realistically anything close to a violent revolution would lead to the military and police rolling in to mow everyone down.

McCloud posted:

lmao no it isn't. His feed is still pretty lefty, he's just being extra polite about it

Dans take was extraordinarily stupid though.

Realistically, I get being annoyed by anyone hyping themselves up by fantasizing about a revolution because, yeah, if a really large uprising did happen then there's going to be a lot of deaths, and the people dying are going to be the ones most hurt by our oppressive society as it is. Like what you see in the police crackdowns on protests but on a larger, even more violent scale. But that tweet is garbage and only looks like he's tut-tutting people for daring to want to strike back against their oppressors, no matter what he was intending.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Nuns with Guns posted:

Go offline, speak to a therapist if you can, block twitter and see if you can find some greasemonkey script or something that stops tweets from auto-displaying on SA to reduce your impulse to read them then, because this brain-sick self-flagellation about how you'll readily die for a revolution is the most unhelpful thing in the world. Like no loving poo poo you'll die, like most of us in this thread would since we're all nonathletic nerds and realistically anything close to a violent revolution would lead to the military and police rolling in to mow everyone down.

Realistically, I get being annoyed by anyone hyping themselves up by fantasizing about a revolution because, yeah, if a really large uprising did happen then there's going to be a lot of deaths, and the people dying are going to be the ones most hurt by our oppressive society as it is. Like what you see in the police crackdowns on protests but on a larger, even more violent scale. But that tweet is garbage and only looks like he's tut-tutting people for daring to want to strike back against their oppressors, no matter what he was intending.

Internet is full of hyperbole, and I think taking people seriously when they say they want to murder the rich and string them up by their entrails is silly ,since I don't think most folks actually want that, they just want the rich to pay their drat taxes and get punished when they break the law, and not get murdered by the police for being black. But it also seems like an inescapable fact that the only way to enact large change seems to be mass riots and burning cities to the ground, because that seems to be the only thing politicians respond to these days, aside from money, so of course folks will be fantasizing about it :shrug:

But uh, co-signing that you should talk to someone, Max. That's rather grim stuff. Please stay safe

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

Holy poo poo I admit I skimmed that Max Post originally so I missed that bit but yeah please don't use this thread (or twitter or anything else) to self harm dude :(

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Jamie Faith posted:

please don't use this thread (or twitter or anything else) to self harm dude :(

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

Jamie Faith posted:

please don't use this thread (or twitter

Good general life advice

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Augus posted:

please take a break from online you guys

People be in here gasping at entertainers being way different in real life versus in a video.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

McCloud posted:

Internet is full of hyperbole, and I think taking people seriously when they say they want to murder the rich and string them up by their entrails is silly ,since I don't think most folks actually want that, they just want the rich to pay their drat taxes and get punished when they break the law, and not get murdered by the police for being black. But it also seems like an inescapable fact that the only way to enact large change seems to be mass riots and burning cities to the ground, because that seems to be the only thing politicians respond to these days, aside from money, so of course folks will be fantasizing about it :shrug:

Property destruction and rioting against the lovely system are fine and valid forms of protest in my book. I wouldn't say they're necessarily part of "a revolution" on their own, but it's a tricky term that can mean a lot of different things. Those kinds of protests leading to change is a revolutionary act, but you also get people who are expecting full overthrow of the current order on some level, from kicking out the cops and setting up small autonomous zones to amassing a full army and starting a civil war against the government. I don't know how easy it'd be to have more than regional success there, at least without a generation or more of fighting and an incalculable loss of life, but I'm also a dweeb on the internet so what do I know? If some big uprising happens, it will be welcome and deserved, but it will be a messy affair, too.

Nuns with Guns fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Nov 2, 2020

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I mean, the biggest issue people seem to have is the idea that merely the act of 'yearning' in any form is the sin. Like, am I Part of the Problem because I think it'd be genuinely funny and probably a good way to make a lot of the suburban nazis back off if someone [redacted] some proud boy bus before they could get out and try to murder people themselves? Like, it's the mere act of thinking 'it'd own if for once in these miserable people's lives they felt half the mortal fear for their lives and safety most any given random minority does around them' is exactly the same morally as Chadsworth Gunterson taking dad's gun out to go 'hunt antifa' or whatever?

It's the kind of take you can only have if you've never looked at someone and thought 'are they gonna try to attack me or are they just gonna call me (insert slur here) if they want to get rowdy' and having a bunch of other white media people all "YEP FINALLY SOMEONE SAID IT" just made it more funny.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

sexpig by night posted:

I mean, the biggest issue people seem to have is the idea that merely the act of 'yearning' in any form is the sin. Like, am I Part of the Problem because I think it'd be genuinely funny and probably a good way to make a lot of the suburban nazis back off if someone [redacted] some proud boy bus before they could get out and try to murder people themselves? Like, it's the mere act of thinking 'it'd own if for once in these miserable people's lives they felt half the mortal fear for their lives and safety most any given random minority does around them' is exactly the same morally as Chadsworth Gunterson taking dad's gun out to go 'hunt antifa' or whatever?

It's the kind of take you can only have if you've never looked at someone and thought 'are they gonna try to attack me or are they just gonna call me (insert slur here) if they want to get rowdy' and having a bunch of other white media people all "YEP FINALLY SOMEONE SAID IT" just made it more funny.

Well, that's pulling the scope away from the overly-broad and nonspecific "yearning for a violent revolution" to "yearning for someone to attack a bus full of neo-nazis." Which is both a narrower and clearer objective there, and sounds like a separate conversation to have. Like yeah, you'll get some people who gasp at the audacity of left-wing violence in either case, but debating on the ethics of morning for a bus full of human sludge has way clearer "sides" to it (and lol gently caress them.)

fun hater
May 24, 2009

its a neat trick, but you can only do it once

lol

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Nuns with Guns posted:

Well, that's pulling the scope away from the overly-broad and nonspecific "yearning for a violent revolution" to "yearning for someone to attack a bus full of neo-nazis." Which is both a narrower and clearer objective there, and sounds like a separate conversation to have. Like yeah, you'll get some people who gasp at the audacity of left-wing violence in either case, but debating on the ethics of morning for a bus full of human sludge has way clearer "sides" to it (and lol gently caress them.)

I mean to be honest I was using the more extreme version of 'revolution' where it's literal 'partisan forces clashing in the street' and not the more usual 'occupation of state institutions or whatever, with the willingness to do so armed and ready to fight back against agents of the state who attempt to do them harm' that would be 'violent revolution', if Dan's cool with airholeing a neo-nazi bus but thinks Bundy Ranch: But Leftist would be a bridge too far to even dream of that's a way wilder stance.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

sexpig by night posted:

I mean to be honest I was using the more extreme version of 'revolution' where it's literal 'partisan forces clashing in the street' and not the more usual 'occupation of state institutions or whatever, with the willingness to do so armed and ready to fight back against agents of the state who attempt to do them harm' that would be 'violent revolution', if Dan's cool with airholeing a neo-nazi bus but thinks Bundy Ranch: But Leftist would be a bridge too far to even dream of that's a way wilder stance.

I have no idea what Dan's stance is, honestly, since I don't know the guy and that tweet is a weak fart in the wind as far as making any clear political declaration goes. It's on Twitter though so people are going to naturally read it in the most extreme ways possible.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Alright, we're posting online creators on violent revolution? Let's have some people who actually know what they're talking about.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B782qQZDckk

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

me, sitting in front of the firing squad after the violent revolution: "so, what're you in for?"
guy next to me: "oh you know, mass murder, genocide, profiting off the ruination of countless lives, usual poo poo. What about you?"
me: "I made a bunch of really bad posts."
guy next to me: "oh my god."
me: "yeah."
guy next to me: "what the gently caress is wrong with you"
me: "I know, I know."

Gwen
Aug 17, 2011

personally I would very much like to see every living billionaire see consequences in the sense that they're stripped of power and forced to assimilate into a more equitable society but I accept that a large number of people want retributive justice to come to those who have brought the world to this state.

But there are totally people who want any excuse to start hurting those who have wronged them and standing with them in a genuine revolution does give me pause for concern. That is what I agree with from that very badly worded and morally strict tweet.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Db7TUd0A9-M
Another good one on the same subject.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009
^Yay! Someone else is watching Beau. Check out his videos. They're good little slices. I kind of wish he dug in and dig a few more essays rather than short news of the day stuff, but then again, it's kind of nice to have something that isn't an hour and a half long to watch.

Nuns with Guns posted:

I have no idea what Dan's stance is, honestly, since I don't know the guy and that tweet is a weak fart in the wind as far as making any clear political declaration goes. It's on Twitter though so people are going to naturally read it in the most extreme ways possible.

It's honestly kind of impressive. Like a mirror universe GetFiscal. Pointless, able to be read multiple ways because it's so weak, pisses literally everyone off and didn't need to be made at all. Kind of beautiful.

Parakeet vs. Phone fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Nov 2, 2020

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

This thread is exhausting, but newlegacyinc videos are good

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

rujasu posted:

Why do I read this thread?
because you can't resist touching, nay, rolling around in the poop

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

They say don't touch the poop.
Instead, I became the poop. The poop is within and around me.

I survived because the poop inside of me stank harder than the poop around me.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

I feel the pressure
Under more scrutiny
And what do I do?
Touch more poop and pee

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Why is the thread for funny YouTube people talking about movies and TV shows that are cool or suck and make funny beep boop jokes about video games always a hotbed for depressing, violent stupidity?

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

nine-gear crow posted:

Why is the thread for funny YouTube people talking about movies and TV shows that are cool or suck and make funny beep boop jokes about video games always a hotbed for depressing, violent stupidity?

The source kinda explains it.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

It is me I am the one still mad about youtubers like Lindsay Ellis doubling down on her lovely “I identify as Ricky Gervais” tweet that was made many months ago.

Okay yeah I’m still annoyed by that poo poo like come on it just shows that a Breadtube coalition ain’t gonna work if one can just say things like that. At least now it seems to be deleted and gone and instead still has the “how dare you assume Ricky Gervais.” And poo poo it’s still there for a whole rear end year it’s anniversary.

EDIT; Seriously though, Max, please, take care of yourself mate :smith: Please don’t die.

Annointed fucked around with this message at 10:28 on Nov 2, 2020

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

As frustrating and blinkered as comments like Dan's are I feel awful for causing this derail. Sorry folks.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

nine-gear crow posted:

This is actually a less sexy version of Hellthread in disguise.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

nine-gear crow posted:

capitalism

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

Kim Justice posted:

As frustrating and blinkered as comments like Dan's are I feel awful for causing this derail. Sorry folks.

Did I spot you on the Limmy stream this morning?

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

DrVenkman posted:

Did I spot you on the Limmy stream this morning?

I'm watching him now so yes

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019
Its hosed up because as daft as some of the people using it on their own are, twitter and social media as a whole are literally designed to encourage and amplify the shooting off of hot takes that make people mad. This poo poo is the 21st century equivalent of lead in petrol, except instead of the brain damage being the side effect of cost saving measures, its jack nodding his head to the implementation of new and exciting ways to melt your brain.

Edit. Apologies for the boomer social media complaint. For thread content, people should check out Errant Signal, he does cool game reviews, mostly about niche stuff you won't of heard of.

Vagabong fucked around with this message at 12:09 on Nov 2, 2020

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

Alaois posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8PUCSyIkEus

*Bruce Buffer voice*

It's TIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIME

I am going to start referring to skeletons as "skeletonised bodies" from now on.

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo

rujasu posted:

Why do I read this thread?

every now and then someone posts “hey there’s a new civvie video to watch and go ‘haha that was fun’ about” after 60 other posts about how my political enemies deserve death, my political allies deserve slow torture and death, and I would be the one to administer it to them right now if I didn’t have to pick up the refill of my anti-anxiety medication ; and then I’m like “yeah I remember seeing a new civvie video in my YouTube feed, I should watch it later”

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Parakeet vs. Phone posted:

It's honestly kind of impressive. Like a mirror universe GetFiscal. Pointless, able to be read multiple ways because it's so weak, pisses literally everyone off and didn't need to be made at all. Kind of beautiful.

I'd joke that it was a deliberate ploy to make Twitter as unpleasant as possible to look at so you'd have no reason to try while healing from a nasty wrist injury, but at that point you might as well humorously tie yourself to your bed with your phone just out of reach and have more fun with it.

Kim Justice posted:

Eh I couldn't tell if you were even talking about the tweet or a million other things people hold loosely-connected friend groups responsible for online. The thread didn't start frothing until someone else dumped the tweet here.

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

Alaois posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8PUCSyIkEus

*Bruce Buffer voice*

It's TIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIME

I really didnt expect to be charmed by this game but I love how every single character just utterly despises the protagonist

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Farm Frenzy posted:

I really didnt expect to be charmed by this game but I love how every single character just utterly despises the protagonist

I choose to believe he had no real plan for that final act, just stabbed her to stop the ritual because it's the first thing that came to him, and only afterwards thought "oh, right, I've got this mistletoe that can be used to heal deadly wounds :pseudo:".