Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Kobal2 posted:

I mean, there's a reason the Fighter/Rogue/Cleric/Wizard party is a classic : it Just Works ; and every other class is just "Fighter with" or "Wizard but"

I mean, for what it's worth I also picked the game up on steam sale last weekend and opted for a more non-traditional party just to see if it would be effective. Went with Hope Bard, timekeeper warlock, stone Barbarian, and light monk. Team-Metal-Armor-Is-For-Cowards is a go and it's still surprisingly decent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

DeathSandwich posted:

I mean, for what it's worth I also picked the game up on steam sale last weekend and opted for a more non-traditional party just to see if it would be effective. Went with Hope Bard, timekeeper warlock, stone Barbarian, and light monk. Team-Metal-Armor-Is-For-Cowards is a go and it's still surprisingly decent.

Huh, funny coincidence : that's almost the party a buddy and I are running in coop through Lost Valley - I've got a Stone Barb and Lore Bard, he's got a Chain Warlock and Open Hand Monk. Plate is for pussies indeed.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe
Before I go through the hassle of actually tetsing it myself, does anyone know if the spell attack bonus on a war mage wand also adds to Spell Save DC?

Edit: Also, I finally got round to trying the Court Mage wizard specialization and it is tanky as hell. When shield triggers, she has an AC of 29, and at level 12 he can give herself and someone else 60 temporary HP.

Edit2: War mage wands do not affect Spell Save DC. Guess I just need to find more INT from somewhere!

Gerblyn fucked around with this message at 08:55 on Jun 3, 2023

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

Gerblyn posted:

Before I go through the hassle of actually tetsing it myself, does anyone know if the spell attack bonus on a war mage wand also adds to Spell Save DC?

Nope. Spell attack means attack rolls with spells. It's very difficult to raise DCs in 5E from what I gather.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe
Yeah, it sure seems so! Much harder than mu run through WotR where I managed to stack +40 bonus on enchantment DC.

I like it tho, it makes the spells feel more reliable over the game since they didn’t have to balance enemies vs crazy minmax stuff.

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

Gerblyn posted:

Yeah, it sure seems so! Much harder than mu run through WotR where I managed to stack +40 bonus on enchantment DC.

I like it tho, it makes the spells feel more reliable over the game since they didn’t have to balance enemies vs crazy minmax stuff.

Oh yeah, 5E has much lower numbers than 3.5/PF all around, by design. But I do like that all spells share the same DC no matter the spell's level. Keeps the humble "Charm Person" and such in the game, all the way to the end. Even Concentration has grown on me (I obviously hated not being able to stack buffs like I'm used to)

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

rear end Blaster: Cum in the Mum's Brown Star.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

Kobal2 posted:

Even Concentration has grown on me (I obviously hated not being able to stack buffs like I'm used to)

I really like it, it means I need to choose which spell to use instead of just dropping haste on the party every fight.

The fact you can cancel a spell by hurting the caster is nice too.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe
:hmmyes:

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe
Sorry for the triple post, but this is kind of important if you're playing the Ice Palace DLC:

At one point you get a quest to teleport to Violet's house. In the teleporter menu is another destination, do not take it. It looks like you're not supposed to go through there yet, and you can end up stuck in an area with no way to exit so you have to go to a previous save.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Yeah, I really like encounter design in way this better than in the Pathfinder or Pillars games, even if the main campaign (haven't gone into the DLCs) plot is just there and all the models look like PS2 graphics as I remember them.

just wanted to say that sometimes when I am tired I read the game's name as Clown of the Magister

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Made a party comprised of my favourite voices (all the male voices, and Female Voice 2), and I have finally found the game bearable! Male Voice 1 definitely seems the best to me, at least as the wisecracking spy- kinda gives me a goofy James Bond feel to his character :allears:

Pulsarcat
Feb 7, 2012

Hey dorks.

I'm getting back into this and I really want to try out some of the new classes, I'm thinking Monk, Cleric, Bard and one of the spell casters, and I have some questions.

How survivable is a Monk when compared too burly warrior in big armour?
I love the idea of an angry dragon lady punching her way through swarm of monsters while literally spitting fire, but I'm a bit worried she's going to go down in like two hits.

Can a Bard be made into a competent archer?
One of the things I love about this game is just how cool the battle maps are, particularly how vertical they can be, so I want at least one character to be able to use bows at least fairly well, and I'd rather not make another Ranger.

And finally what exactly is the difference between the Wizard, Sorcerer and Warlock?
I know the main plus of a wizard is they have a lot of spells and potentially a lot of casts so long as they power nap often enough.
I think for Sorcerer they have fewer casts and far fewer spells in total, but they can power them up, so basically one big boom rather than a dozen little ones.

But what about Warlock, I'm not too sure what it is that they bring that the other two casters don't.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Yeah. God knows 5E has it's faults, but I can't criticise their decision to attempt to reign in buffing insanity and AC and DC inflation with the whole 'bounded accuracy' and concentration limit design.

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

Pulsarcat posted:

Hey dorks.

I'm getting back into this and I really want to try out some of the new classes, I'm thinking Monk, Cleric, Bard and one of the spell casters, and I have some questions.

I love the idea of an angry dragon lady punching her way through swarm of monsters while literally spitting fire, but I'm a bit worried she's going to go down in like two hits.

One of the things I love about this game is just how cool the battle maps are, particularly how vertical they can be, so I want at least one character to be able to use bows at least fairly well, and I'd rather not make another Ranger.

And finally what exactly is the difference between the Wizard, Sorcerer and Warlock?
I know the main plus of a wizard is they have a lot of spells and potentially a lot of casts so long as they power nap often enough.
I think for Sorcerer they have fewer casts and far fewer spells in total, but they can power them up, so basically one big boom rather than a dozen little ones.

But what about Warlock, I'm not too sure what it is that they bring that the other two casters don't.

Wizard can learn lots of spells and keep learning new ones. Sorcerors can cast as many as a wizard but have a limited selection and once they learn them they cant swap them easily. Warlock can only cast two/three spells but this resets on a short rest and have similar restrictions to spell selection as sorcerers.

Sorcerers can use points to modify their spells. Sorcerers and Warlocks also get supplementary abilities.

Warlocks get more hp and start off knowing how to wear armor.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."
Warlocks aren't really meant to be played like a traditional spellcaster. They're actually more of a ranged attacker, using Eldritch Blast (modified by their various Invocations) to take down enemies, and saving their spells for when they really need them (when picking out a Warlock's spells, stick to stuff with high impact on the state of the battlefield, buffs with long durations, or spells that can lock down an enemy outright, rather than straight damage spells).

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
And Warlocks get the best attack cantrip in the game (Eldritch Blast). There's ways for other classes to get it but Warlocks get abilities that further improve it that are either really hard or impossible for other spell casters to get.

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

Pulsarcat posted:

Hey dorks.

Monks can be reasonably tanky, especially the ones that get to use Ki to Dodge for free (Way of Survival, I think is the name ?) BUT it takes a while before they really get going. They also struggle with gear quite a bit as there's not much Monk loot to be found.

Bards will never be great archers - they only ever get the one attack, and though a Lore bard could get Hunter's Mark it's just not going to be worth it. Bards in 5E are full spellcasters (with side abilities). Basically your bow will be there for when you have nothing else to do, the fight is pretty much over already and/or what monsters are left have good saves against your Cutting Mockery.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

EclecticTastes posted:

Warlocks aren't really meant to be played like a traditional spellcaster. They're actually more of a ranged attacker, using Eldritch Blast (modified by their various Invocations) to take down enemies, and saving their spells for when they really need them (when picking out a Warlock's spells, stick to stuff with high impact on the state of the battlefield, buffs with long durations, or spells that can lock down an enemy outright, rather than straight damage spells).

You can also make a warlock a pretty decent melee fight via pact of the blade. They're the only spell caster who can get a second attack per turn.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."

Gerblyn posted:

You can also make a warlock a pretty decent melee fight via pact of the blade. They're the only spell caster who can get a second attack per turn.

This is kinda true, but it generally pales in comparison to the other pacts unless you're a Hexblade.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

EclecticTastes posted:

This is kinda true, but it generally pales in comparison to the other pacts unless you're a Hexblade.

I tried it once with a two warlock party, one focusing on traditional eldritch blast spam and the other focusing on sword and board to be a tank. It worked pretty well, and hellish rebuke meant he did a fair amount of damage too.

Perhaps it was not optimal, but what's nice about this system is being a bit non-optimal isn't really that much of an issue if you don't ramp the game's difficulty up too high.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
Pact of the Blade Warlock works fine in unmodded Solasta. It’s not strictly optimal but it’s miles from bad or even mediocre.

Fiend patron is a must though.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe
I think I did the tree, because I wanted the pierce damage whenever I took a hit. Looking at the fiend, it probably would have been the better choise with those temp hp. It loses access to my favorite "Please stumble towards me until you bleed to death" spell Spike Growth tho.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Kobal2 posted:

Monks can be reasonably tanky, especially the ones that get to use Ki to Dodge for free (Way of Survival, I think is the name ?) BUT it takes a while before they really get going. They also struggle with gear quite a bit as there's not much Monk loot to be found.

Bards will never be great archers - they only ever get the one attack, and though a Lore bard could get Hunter's Mark it's just not going to be worth it. Bards in 5E are full spellcasters (with side abilities). Basically your bow will be there for when you have nothing else to do, the fight is pretty much over already and/or what monsters are left have good saves against your Cutting Mockery.

All monks can dodge for 1 Ki as a bonus action. Way of Survival monks get resistance to damage when they do that.

Pulsarcat
Feb 7, 2012

Awesome, thank you very much for the answers.

I've played a bunch of Pathfinder: WoTR and I love the game, but it's a very different beast when it comes to making characters.

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

Narsham posted:

All monks can dodge for 1 Ki as a bonus action. Way of Survival monks get resistance to damage when they do that.

Right, that's the thing they do. I knew that.

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

Pulsarcat posted:

Awesome, thank you very much for the answers.

I've played a bunch of Pathfinder: WoTR and I love the game, but it's a very different beast when it comes to making characters.

As one of my mates remarked today, it's funny how different PF and 5E evolved - the more PF grows, the more choices character building involves at every level, from archetypes to new classes with tons of bonus feats, strange features, gimmicks and assorted doodads to pick from (and that's without factoring multi-class monstrosities in) ; whereas 5E characters are VERY light on choice. You have ONE big choice (which is your race/class/background combo), one medium choice (your path) and that's about it - the feats either suck or pick themselves, so do the stat increases (which are capped anyway) and every other feature of your class/path combo you get automatically, no input required.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Some of the classes have meaningful choices after the subclass choice. Warlock invocations, spell choice for non divine spell casters, totems for the totem barbarian, storm auras for the storm barbarian. Aside from the warlock and the spells those don't matter in Solasta though.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Kobal2 posted:

As one of my mates remarked today, it's funny how different PF and 5E evolved - the more PF grows, the more choices character building involves at every level, from archetypes to new classes with tons of bonus feats, strange features, gimmicks and assorted doodads to pick from (and that's without factoring multi-class monstrosities in) ; whereas 5E characters are VERY light on choice. You have ONE big choice (which is your race/class/background combo), one medium choice (your path) and that's about it - the feats either suck or pick themselves, so do the stat increases (which are capped anyway) and every other feature of your class/path combo you get automatically, no input required.

2nd Edition Pathfinder has walked it back quite a bit from the breadth of Pathfinder 1E. Pathfinder 1E is big on false choices and gross imbalance, as anyone who has ever played either Owlcat game knows, and 2nd Edition reigns that in quite a bit. It's not as choice lite as 5E though. It's more of a middle ground.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
One of the things 2e did to achieve that was mercifully taking level-based multiclassing out back. PF2e is very strongly class-based, and multiclassing is based on trading your own class feats for a specifically curated track of dedicated feats for poaching features. There are even archetypes that start at higher levels instead of prestige class levels.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

So a Solasta campaign question: When do we get access to the faction system in Crown of the Magister? We’ve just gotten back from Caer Lem and still don’t seem to have the ability to chat up faction people. I’ve got like three faction relics burning a hole in my pocket.

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

Captain Oblivious posted:

So a Solasta campaign question: When do we get access to the faction system in Crown of the Magister? We’ve just gotten back from Caer Lem and still don’t seem to have the ability to chat up faction people. I’ve got like three faction relics burning a hole in my pocket.

Maybe five minutes later than where you are. You just need to report back to the council.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

lemonadesweetheart posted:

Maybe five minutes later than where you are. You just need to report back to the council.

Hrm. Yeah we did that.

We reported in they talked about the head of a Sorak and we talked to Beryl, one of the survivors, and we now have a quest to check out a tower west of Caer Lem. I haven’t seen anything introducing the ability to interact with the factions.

A dude did take us aside and talk about the factions in a thinly veiled kinda way but all the reps still just do their canned click dialogue. Can’t really interact with them. What am I missing?

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Captain Oblivious posted:

Hrm. Yeah we did that.

We reported in they talked about the head of a Sorak and we talked to Beryl, one of the survivors, and we now have a quest to check out a tower west of Caer Lem. I haven’t seen anything introducing the ability to interact with the factions.

A dude did take us aside and talk about the factions in a thinly veiled kinda way but all the reps still just do their canned click dialogue. Can’t really interact with them. What am I missing?

You're not missing anything- the faction stuff actually comes right after you finish the next Council mission, in fact!

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

CommissarMega posted:

You're not missing anything- the faction stuff actually comes right after you finish the next Council mission, in fact!

Ah okay. That would do it.

MH Knights
Aug 4, 2007

So about the "Volcano" zone/quest: Do the Orcs all die no matter what you do? I took the teleporter to ambush the boss and took the key from the ghost dude to open the door but they all die. Is there some hidden way to save the Orcs or did I give away that sweet great axe for nothing?

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

MH Knights posted:

So about the "Volcano" zone/quest: Do the Orcs all die no matter what you do? I took the teleporter to ambush the boss and took the key from the ghost dude to open the door but they all die. Is there some hidden way to save the Orcs or did I give away that sweet great axe for nothing?

They all die. Or, at least, their deaths are implied.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

torgeaux posted:

They all die. Or, at least, their deaths are implied.

https://i.imgur.com/i92OmEW.mp4

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe
So I decided to do a second Ice Palace run with a Warlock, and I don't really like the way they do level 6+ spells. I'm only at level 11 now, but from what I can see:

- Your rechargeable spell slots remain at level 5
- You can choose 1 level 6, 7 and 8 spell at the apt levels, and use each once per long rest
- There's no way to boost any spell to a level higher than 5

Now, I can understand you don't want warlocks casting level 8 Chain Lightning or Circle of Death twice per battle, but it feels with this solution that warlocks fall behind the power curve of the other casters. Sure, they can still cast 2 level 5 spells every fight (assuming you rest a lot) but by the time they get to level 12+ most casters have so many slots that that's not really special anymore. The fact that you can't boost certain spells can start to hurt as well. My wizard could cast Banishment to level 8 and one-shot a small army of demons, while Warlock is stuck at level 5.

It's just a minor thing, they're still perfectly functional, it just feels sucky that their gimmick of fewer but more powerful spells simply stops progressing once you get to level 10.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

It’s partly a case of “that’s just how 5E is” and partly “CRPGs undermine the theoretical attrition immunity of Warlocks by making long resting consequence free”.

You will go up to 3 spell slots per short rest at level 12 though. You can get 4 by using the item The Chitinous Boon but I dunno if that’s accessible in PoI or you need to have gotten it during Crown.