Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

The human gallbladder is indeed a puzzle!
Sadly not but that sounds like a good pitch!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

Galewolf posted:

Good morning esteemed gentleman Jean DeFluyten, would you like to buy this drawing of a bulb of fine tulip for 500 gulderns?

Worked for Star Citizen.

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

Flannelette posted:

Worked for Star Citizen.

And they got the money from the rich and gave to a poor game designer!

Grevlek
Jan 11, 2004

Lister posted:

AMC has the bonus of potential to bounce back when people are confident to go back to theaters. I don't think that one is an outlandish investment at its current price. Carnival is in the same boat but literally no one is memeing about it so it's still struggling.

I did some robinhood during the pandemic and got into cruise lines so if someone could meme those that would be great.

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

Grevlek posted:

I did some robinhood during the pandemic and got into cruise lines so if someone could meme those that would be great.

Millennials don't like cruz ships my dude.

You need to invest in memes.

Flowers for QAnon
May 20, 2019

Klyith posted:

It's not a random tweet, it's a CNBC tweet about a CNBC show that CBNC wants people to watch. Therefore CNBC paid twitter to promote the tweet about the show. The gamestop thing is the hot topic of the day. It's on the evening news. If godzilla was attacking tokyo, they'd be promoting tweets about their godzilla-attack coverage.

That guy started from the position where he "knows" that the story is a lie, and therefore CNBC must be in league with the liars to promote the lie. That's Qanon.

It’s not exactly random, its making a statement on the position of a specific hedge fund, in a specific equity. Are you arguing this is normal financial chatter?

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Lister posted:

AMC has the bonus of potential to bounce back when people are confident to go back to theaters. I don't think that one is an outlandish investment at its current price. Carnival is in the same boat but literally no one is memeing about it so it's still struggling.

If AMC makes it to the point of most people being vaccinated and there isn't some other stupid strain that hits, they would most definitely bounce back. Pretty much everything should begin taking in profits compared to the previous year at the very least. Vacation based industries would probably be the largest boon I'd imagine. Vegas will likely be bonkers once poo poo gets going and people have some of that stimulus money left.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Flowers for QAnon posted:

It’s not exactly random, its making a statement on the position of a specific hedge fund, in a specific equity. Are you arguing this is normal financial chatter?

Sure it's normal financial news when a stock is going bonkers to report on why the stock is bonkers and any info relevant to what it might do in the future.

Inside the video and on CNBC's site it makes clear that this statement is according to the hedge fund manager:
"the hedge fund’s manager told CNBC’s Andrew Ross Sorkin"
"CNBC could not confirm the amount of losses Melvin Capital took on the short position"
"Sorkin said [the hedge fund manager] told him that speculation about a bankruptcy filing is false"
"according to General Akira, nuclear weapons will be 100% effective against the giant monster" ... no wait wrong story

If everyone at the hedge was saying no comment they'd report that.

The hedge fund manager could of course be lying, but if so he's escalated from losing several billion dollars to an actual criminal case, plus lawsuits from the fund investors. And I actually love the idea of congress opening an investigation into robinhood, because I think robinhood has been super taking advantage of uninformed people for a long time and would love to see any dirt that gets dug up from them.

I just don't think that randos on twitter or wallstreetbets that are saying the hedge is still short and that further buys of GME will force them to buy it even higher are true. I think those randos are far more likely to be conspiracy-minded crazies or people seeking to manipulate the price higher to make money themselves.

MinutePirateBug
Mar 4, 2013

Klyith posted:

Sure it's normal financial news when a stock is going bonkers to report on why the stock is bonkers and any info relevant to what it might do in the future.

Inside the video and on CNBC's site it makes clear that this statement is according to the hedge fund manager:
"the hedge fund’s manager told CNBC’s Andrew Ross Sorkin"
"CNBC could not confirm the amount of losses Melvin Capital took on the short position"
"Sorkin said [the hedge fund manager] told him that speculation about a bankruptcy filing is false"
"according to General Akira, nuclear weapons will be 100% effective against the giant monster" ... no wait wrong story

If everyone at the hedge was saying no comment they'd report that.

The hedge fund manager could of course be lying, but if so he's escalated from losing several billion dollars to an actual criminal case, plus lawsuits from the fund investors. And I actually love the idea of congress opening an investigation into robinhood, because I think robinhood has been super taking advantage of uninformed people for a long time and would love to see any dirt that gets dug up from them.

I just don't think that randos on twitter or wallstreetbets that are saying the hedge is still short and that further buys of GME will force them to buy it even higher are true. I think those randos are far more likely to be conspiracy-minded crazies or people seeking to manipulate the price higher to make money themselves.

Wait what?
https://www.cnbc.com/2021/01/29/gamestop-short-sellers-are-still-not-surrendering-despite-nearly-20-billion-in-losses-this-year.html

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

Important thing to remember:
Wallstreet people are:
Always corrupt
Always collude
Always lie
And will ALWAYS do the thing that makes them more money.

It makes anything coming out of it on the news easier to understand.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Flowers for QAnon posted:

He's arguing that it's normal advertisement chatter. "Hey come watch our show where we talk about X" is a normal advertisement that news shows run to draw and more viewers. They run ads like these literally every day

Like consider if the advertisement was announcing the winner of a sports game, this tweet would be saying "CNBC is now running ads bragging that the Bulls won. Why would you spend money to convince public that the Chicago Bulls are a good team. They won, good for them. Why are they running ads"

The subject of the story isn't really relevant to the existence of the ad, they're just trying to get people to come and watch their news show

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

teardrop posted:

Call me salty but I really don’t feel like I missed much by staying out of this. So there are 500 people posting how they hit the jackpot, there 5mil people on WSB and most of those are buying at $300 and won’t sell until $100. I like that they took money from a hedge fund, but am rolling my eyes over them using “hodl out of spite” as an excuse to keep the bagholders propping things up as people take money out.

The odds are overwhelmingly that I or anyone who touched the poop once they heard about it would get there too late and sell too late. Just because it’s “a sure thing” on Reddit doesn’t make it any different from other day trading. You can get the same game with massively leveraged $TSLA options (or any volatile stock) any day of the week.

I do really like that this got how dumb the stock market is front and center in the news though.

Correct! With this sort of nonsense, the people making the money got in on it months ago. By the time the general public hear about it and start leaping on the bandwagon, it's already too late to be investing. You'd be trying to get in on the ground floor during the appropriately named 'mania' phase, which isn't going to end well.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

lol check out this fool whose feeble mind is unable to grasp the fact that USD is going to be replaced by shares in AMC and Gamestop

in the new world order you'll be screaming at my golden flying fortress begging for scraps but I won't be able to hear you because it has an AMC theater with dolby surround sound inside and a separate gamestop for every console

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Opinions are like a$$holes....everyone has one....but mines the best!!!

teardrop posted:

Call me salty but I really don’t feel like I missed much by staying out of this. So there are 500 people posting how they hit the jackpot, there 5mil people on WSB and most of those are buying at $300 and won’t sell until $100. I like that they took money from a hedge fund, but am rolling my eyes over them using “hodl out of spite” as an excuse to keep the bagholders propping things up as people take money out.

The odds are overwhelmingly that I or anyone who touched the poop once they heard about it would get there too late and sell too late. Just because it’s “a sure thing” on Reddit doesn’t make it any different from other day trading. You can get the same game with massively leveraged $TSLA options (or any volatile stock) any day of the week.

I do really like that this got how dumb the stock market is front and center in the news though.

Why would anyone feel like they missed out on something like this?

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

RestingB1tchFace posted:

Why would anyone feel like they missed out on something like this?

I made a good chunk of money in 24 hours buying and selling Blockbuster stock in 2021 lol. Right now you can literally bet on human insanity and it's as close to a sure thing as there's been for awhile.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

this is the story in the promoted tweet that started this convo:
https://www.cnbc.com/2021/01/27/hedge-fund-targeted-by-reddit-board-melvin-capital-closed-out-of-gamestop-short-position-tuesday.html

What that story you've linked is saying is that the stock is still heavily shorted (presumably by people other than Melvin), including new shorts who looked at the insanely high bubble prices over the last 2 days and hammered the short button.

That means there's still potential to short squeeze more... but think about the math. Moving GME from $40 to $400 produced a massive squeeze because it went up by 10 times, not because it went up by $360. Just doubling the price from what it is now wouldn't have nearly the same effect. So to get the same run the redditors would need to pump the stock into the thousands, which I doubt they have the dosh to do.

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

Klyith posted:

That means there's still potential to short squeeze more... but think about the math. Moving GME from $40 to $400 produced a massive squeeze because it went up by 10 times, not because it went up by $360. Just doubling the price from what it is now wouldn't have nearly the same effect. So to get the same run the redditors would need to pump the stock into the thousands, which I doubt they have the dosh to do.

You'd think that but then this is reddit we're talking about they'll find someone to get the money for the lols.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

I for one welcome our new GameStop overlords

MinutePirateBug
Mar 4, 2013

Klyith posted:

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/01/27/hedge-fund-targeted-by-reddit-board-melvin-capital-closed-out-of-gamestop-short-position-tuesday.html

What that story you've linked is saying is that the stock is still heavily shorted (presumably by people other than Melvin), including new shorts who looked at the insanely high bubble prices over the last 2 days and hammered the short button.

I do not know what is going on. Everyone is effectively blind, they have insufficient data to tell them what is going on. I would like to know what is going on though.

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,

Klyith posted:

The hedge fund manager could of course be lying, but if so he's escalated from losing several billion dollars to an actual criminal case, plus lawsuits from the fund investors.

Consider, that if Mr. Simpson had indeed killed Ms. Brown and Mr. Goldman, that lying about it would constitute perjury, which would only place him in further legal jeopardy, giving him no rational reason to do so.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

:drat:

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

The best part is when nerds start supporting the crap out of gamestop stores directly and it ends up not a meme.

Linus apparently underestimated the meme, now he must buy 50,000$ of gamestoink.

(He said he would 5x WANshow superchat contributions and he had to lock it at 10k)

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

Klyith posted:

I read that the cost of borrowing shares for shorting has risen massively so I don’t think new shorts will want to hold for that long.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Pistol_Pete posted:

Correct! With this sort of nonsense, the people making the money got in on it months ago. By the time the general public hear about it and start leaping on the bandwagon, it's already too late to be investing. You'd be trying to get in on the ground floor during the appropriately named 'mania' phase, which isn't going to end well.

The Nytimes just posted this lol:

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Pistol_Pete posted:

The Nytimes just posted this lol:

It is the same curve but much accelerated. Being in it just a week ago even still would make you “early”

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005
its hard to compare when currency/market controls is shaping the pattern, and not just enthusiasm

but it IS an awfully textbook example of that equity motion lol :thunk:

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
Yeah, the 'mania' phase has developed over the course of a single week, which is pretty crazy. I guess it's a mix of modern communications and too many people stuck at home with nothing to do.

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Opinions are like a$$holes....everyone has one....but mines the best!!!

sweet thursday posted:

I made a good chunk of money in 24 hours buying and selling Blockbuster stock in 2021 lol. Right now you can literally bet on human insanity and it's as close to a sure thing as there's been for awhile.

There is plenty to be made in the OTC.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Oof. Doge is trending back to its sub penny value and the coiners are taking it rough. Apparently a pump and dump?

ghouldaddy07
Jun 23, 2008
I made 11 bucks on AMC and will be smug for the rest of my life.

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

FilthyImp posted:

Oof. Doge is trending back to its sub penny value and the coiners are taking it rough. Apparently a pump and dump?

It doesn’t have the short squeeze aspect or the “everyone I watch on youtube is talking about this” news coverage.

It was always a pointless punp and dump. The only real question is how long it would last.

Its not getting nearly the coverage the stocks are and seems like it wont.

Or it’s going to recover overnight as people buy the dip and dogecoin will be evening news Monday night.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Do you guys have a set ceiling for when you plan to sell? I am completely new to all this

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

FilthyImp posted:

I follow my home country reddit-like websites and people saying things like "this [loss you are facing now from Doge] wouldn't have happened if you invested in trusty crypto like bitcoin instead" which is extremely :lol:

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Why, even under the best of circumstances, would you buy something called Dogecoin.

strange feelings re Daisy
Aug 2, 2000

FilthyImp posted:

During the runup you could purchase dogecoin on Robinhood using instant deposit cash(a form of limited margin). In the space of like 5 minutes you could go from having no account to buying $1000 of crypto. It was surely the lowest barrier method. Robinhood stopped allowing that yesterday which instantly killed momentum.

You can get dogecoin on exchanges too of course, but on most you'll have to buy bitcoin and then convert the bitcoin to dogecoin while the prices for both are fluctuating the entire time. They may not have instant deposit available either. It creates a very different psychology. Now new users can't be like "I want to buy this dip, I'll just deposit $100 and do it". Whatever cash you want to deposit now won't be available for 3-5 days.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Heath posted:

Why, even under the best of circumstances, would you buy something called Dogecoin.

What if you're actually an Italian merchant living in Venice during the Renaissance? Then I bet you'd be pretty eager to buy Dogecoins

QED dogecoin is going to the moon

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

Heath posted:

The hardest part is having this conversation with normie friends and family:

-Hey, what is this Dogecoin thing, can we invest in it?
-Um, it's a meme crypto.
-What's a "meme" and what's a "crypto"? :confused:

This is the current level of normie-ness we operate in.

It is hard to resist FOMO during the pump because everyone around you talks about making sick gains in half a day. People don't talk about their losses as much as their gains so there is a bias on information you hear.

DickParasite
Dec 2, 2004

Slippery Tilde

FilthyImp posted:

Oof. Doge is trending back to its sub penny value ... Apparently a pump and dump?

oh word?

e:

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

Do you guys have a set ceiling for when you plan to sell? I am completely new to all this

If you're asking questions like that it's probably time to bail.

DickParasite fucked around with this message at 10:26 on Jan 30, 2021

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Galewolf posted:

The hardest part is having this conversation with normie friends and family:

-Hey, what is this Dogecoin thing, can we invest in it?
-Um, it's a meme crypto.
-What's a "meme" and what's a "crypto"? :confused:

This is the current level of normie-ness we operate in.

It is hard to resist FOMO during the pump because everyone around you talks about making sick gains in half a day. People don't talk about their losses as much as their gains so there is a bias on information you hear.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=myxMEwyilqo&t=41s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

This.

As an added bonus: "meme" means "boob" in my mother language so all these conversations become even more entertaining. Boob stocks.