Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I reckon it'll have a great pay-off down the line.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

We’ll given they jump ahead another decade, I presume we will see something to the effect off a) baby (lame) or b) that kid and the daughter coming up in nasa in the 90s and it being a big ol drama fest when it comes out he brazzered her adopted mother (sounds kinda lame but less lame than a surprise baby)

I’m very excited for a third season but it seems like groundwork for end of episode cliffhanger fodder that doesn’t need to dip into the fx budget for the mid season.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

DamnGlitch posted:

We’ll given they jump ahead another decade, I presume we will see something to the effect off a) baby (lame) or b) that kid and the daughter coming up in nasa in the 90s and it being a big ol drama fest when it comes out he brazzered her adopted mother (sounds kinda lame but less lame than a surprise baby)

I’m very excited for a third season but it seems like groundwork for end of episode cliffhanger fodder that doesn’t need to dip into the fx budget for the mid season.

I mean, it's also whoops, my parents were both killed, and also I hosed the only other person who halfway qualified as a parent. She's dating the man my mum was seeing before she died, and he's doing space stuff now too! I suspect it's only going to get messier.

From a certain angle, it's actually pitch perfect black comedy.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

I still enjoyed the ending but to be honest I think it just couldn't live up to the expectations (IMDB rating, heard people lovingly refer to Gordo and Tracy's run so it didn't take me too long to figure out. On one hand it would have been cool to experience that without knowing what was coming, but on the flip side, I wouldn't have ever watched the show if not for the compliments I read so it all evens out. I'm definitely glad I went on the ride. The highs were indeed very high.

It's crazy how sometimes the show triggers memories of stuff I kind of forgot about (I was a kid in the 80s) but for me the craziest oh poo poo moment was when I randomly remembered the Russians shot down a 747 near Korea just before the cut to the Soviet fighter

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

Also, now that I've had time think about it, I have no idea why Ed blew up Sea Dragon and why there was so much gun drawing on Pathfinder other than to heighten the drama. If that was his plan, why didn't he just say so? What if she had simply agreed to target the Soviet shuttle.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

I think it was a last moment decision

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yeah that’s right

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
the most significant act of post-cucked clarity in human history

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Just finished S2. Wow. That Scene was some of the most gut wrenching stuff I've ever seen.

Realizing that as the clock hit 10 seconds that they hadn't even started back yet - they weren't going to make it. Oh god, the blood. Oh god, their faces. No, Gordo! Oh my god are they going to make it? Doesn't seem like it's possible, even if they made it back they must be done for. Oh my but they did make it back! They did, so they're fine... right? Right? I don't see how but they must be.... oh no.

I think my gf is gonna sob when she gets to this episode in a few days.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

After James Gunn used Joel Kinnamon in The Suicide Squad, he now used the Wayne Cobb actor in Peacemaker. For a character slightly less chill than Wayne.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Just finished, liked it a lot especially the alternate history montage at the start of season 2. I recently read a Carter biography so it was interesting to see what was different such as Camp David or Panama without him as President. I like how no character or space launch has historical immunity so it adds a good dose of excitement.

One pedantic quibble, with a major historical timeline disruption in 1969 there is no way Apocalypse Now or Wrath of Khan would be identical to our timeline. But overall a lot of fun.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Hyrax Attack! posted:

One pedantic quibble, with a major historical timeline disruption in 1969 there is no way Apocalypse Now or Wrath of Khan would be identical to our timeline. But overall a lot of fun.

Well, it does show Wrath of Khan coming out a year later!

But the pop culture stuff was a bit disappointing for me too, especially because one of the in-universe news stories they did bridging the timeline of the two seasons talks about how Close Encounters and not Star Wars was the runaway sci-fi hit of 1977, which would have huge cultural ramifications. But you don't see any of that, and one of the kid video call bits from the extras this season was him complaining about what sounds like the exact same Return of the Jedi as in our 1983.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Chairman Capone posted:

Well, it does show Wrath of Khan coming out a year later!

But the pop culture stuff was a bit disappointing for me too, especially because one of the in-universe news stories they did bridging the timeline of the two seasons talks about how Close Encounters and not Star Wars was the runaway sci-fi hit of 1977, which would have huge cultural ramifications. But you don't see any of that, and one of the kid video call bits from the extras this season was him complaining about what sounds like the exact same Return of the Jedi as in our 1983.

Oh yeah, I mean I don’t expect them to build a whole alternate pop culture landscape stretching in the mid-80s but some more hints of what’s on tv or theaters would be fun. Like maybe in the 70s have a tv on showing Star Trek season 9 with a female captain.

Also wish for season 2 they had been a bit more clear about what they were trying to accomplish with Jamestown, other than vague experiments. Like it was great in season 1 when Molly goes after the ice while dangling in the crater, and we have no idea if she’ll live or die. But in season 2 they’re going after lithium deposits for vague reasons, which works ok but would have preferred if they had a more clear goal. Also for a non-reactionary show made in 2021 it is a bit odd Reagan is coming across as the best president of the timeline, without any hints of an Iran contra or union busting, while Ted Kennedy appears to have accomplished little with the ERA amendment leading to dead astronauts.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Also wish for season 2 they had been a bit more clear about what they were trying to accomplish with Jamestown, other than vague experiments. Like it was great in season 1 when Molly goes after the ice while dangling in the crater, and we have no idea if she’ll live or die. But in season 2 they’re going after lithium deposits for vague reasons, which works ok but would have preferred if they had a more clear goal.

I think this is largely down to the show saving this reveal for the second season finale.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

In regards to Reagan, I get the impression that they get a ton of archive content from some Ronald Reagan foundation or something? So they probably have to (or gently caress it I don't know maybe they genuinely believe) make out that he was a great President and not an increasingly senile old man who couldn't separate television from real life. That said, him deciding at the end of season 2 to avert a world war because of something pleasant and charming he saw on television seemed pretty on brand.

Look I just want Jimmy Carter to get a fairer shake in this timeline, goddammit!

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Feb 17, 2022

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Jerusalem posted:

an increasingly senile old man who couldn't separate television from real life.

To be fair this makes him pretty representative of a large portion of Americans

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Jerusalem posted:

In regards to Reagan, I get the impression that they get a ton of archive content from some Ronald Reagan foundation or something? So they probably have to (or gently caress it I don't know maybe they genuinely believe) he was a great President and not an increasingly senile old man who couldn't separate television from real life. That said, him deciding at the end of season 2 to avert a world war because of something pleasant and charming he saw on television seemed pretty on brand.

Look I just want Jimmy Carter to get a fairer shake in this timeline, goddammit!

Hmm that is a good point although I think Reagan’s memory issues mostly became a serious issue during his 2nd term, so if he were in from 76 to 84 they would have been less of an issue. (Does quick check, confirms Reagan was younger when he left office than when Biden became prez.) Aw man

Agreed they are a bit light on Carter content but I wonder if that was because his term wasn’t when major NASA milestones happened? If you are a fan definitely recommend the recent biography The Outlier, I learned a ton about his achievements and struggles. Did not know his grandpa died in a fight over office furniture.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Jerusalem posted:

In regards to Reagan, I get the impression that they get a ton of archive content from some Ronald Reagan foundation or something? So they probably have to (or gently caress it I don't know maybe they genuinely believe) make out that he was a great President and not an increasingly senile old man who couldn't separate television from real life. That said, him deciding at the end of season 2 to avert a world war because of something pleasant and charming he saw on television seemed pretty on brand.

Not just on-brand, but a pretty direct reference to Reagan's renewed enthusiasm detente after seeing The Day After.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Agreed they are a bit light on Carter content but I wonder if that was because his term wasn’t when major NASA milestones happened?

Someone correct me if I'm wrong here, but I believe there were precisely zero Americans in space during Carter's entire term. Not that Carter himself had anything to do with that, it's just how the timing worked out -- NASA had already shut down Apollo and was into the years-long development of Shuttle by the time he was elected.

And although Carter was famously lukewarm on human spaceflight, he did arguably save the Shuttle program by giving it emergency funding when it was in danger of cancellation. Some say this was out of national security concerns (the Shuttle was the only thing on the drawing board that could launch the new generation of spy arms-control-verification satellites), some say it was just that he didn't want to waste the billions that had already been spent on it.

Tyler Whitney
Jan 21, 2020

Why don't you make it sing?

Powered Descent posted:

Someone correct me if I'm wrong here, but I believe there were precisely zero Americans in space during Carter's entire term. Not that Carter himself had anything to do with that, it's just how the timing worked out -- NASA had already shut down Apollo and was into the years-long development of Shuttle by the time he was elected.

And although Carter was famously lukewarm on human spaceflight, he did arguably save the Shuttle program by giving it emergency funding when it was in danger of cancellation. Some say this was out of national security concerns (the Shuttle was the only thing on the drawing board that could launch the new generation of spy arms-control-verification satellites), some say it was just that he didn't want to waste the billions that had already been spent on it.

The Shuttle was originally scheduled to be test launched in late '79 but the program was complex enough and required so much more additional training and work versus the previous last crewed mission (Apollo-Soyuz in 75) that it got pushed all the way out into '81.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
I think we also have to be cognizant of dramatic license. Sure, Ted Kennedy COULD have defeated Reagan in ‘76, but then the show would be less interesting.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Edward Mass posted:

I think we also have to be cognizant of dramatic license. Sure, Ted Kennedy COULD have defeated Reagan in ‘76, but then the show would be less interesting.

You know what made the show more interesting. Karen loving her dead son's best friend that she used to babysit for, while his mother, her own best friend, was in space.

It didn't

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Madurai posted:

Not just on-brand, but a pretty direct reference to Reagan's renewed enthusiasm detente after seeing The Day After.

Oh yeah, I was glad they included that movie in The Americans to show how it had a major impact on nuclear treaties and easing tensions by making it clear nuclear war wasn’t winnable. The movie is on YouTube and while the civilian scenes can drag the nuclear attack sequence is still scary.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
Everybody should see the UK made Threads if you've seen The Day After

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Jerusalem posted:

I'm curious what their take on the 90's presidencies will be, if Reagan was so far ahead of our time-line, will Slick Billy even have his moment in the sun?

Also, their Nixon impersonator did an incredible job, I can totally see him in my mind's eye saying the lines they gave him :allears:

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Rappaport posted:

I'm curious what their take on the 90's presidencies will be, if Reagan was so far ahead of our time-line, will Slick Billy even have his moment in the sun?

Also, their Nixon impersonator did an incredible job, I can totally see him in my mind's eye saying the lines they gave him :allears:

Yeah Nixon was used well. It was interesting watergate still happened, but considering in our timeline it happened when Nixon won the 72 election 49-1 I could see him going forward with dirty tricks even with what we else was going on.

That will be interesting for the 90s, I would guess still Clinton? Although I’m assuming the USSR survives longer, especially with no eight year bear trap in Afghanistan. Wonder what’s going on in the Gulf with no camp David accords and Sadat surviving.

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

Tighclops posted:

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
BOLD PREDICTION: President Lloyd Bentsen.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Yeah Nixon was used well. It was interesting watergate still happened, but considering in our timeline it happened when Nixon won the 72 election 49-1 I could see him going forward with dirty tricks even with what we else was going on.

That will be interesting for the 90s, I would guess still Clinton? Although I’m assuming the USSR survives longer, especially with no eight year bear trap in Afghanistan. Wonder what’s going on in the Gulf with no camp David accords and Sadat surviving.

Did it? I don't remember them mentioning it

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Taear posted:

Did it? I don't remember them mentioning it

Regarding Watergate I believe so, they included a phone call after president RFK pardoned Nixon where Nixon was upset about the pardon and I think they mentioned Watergate on the call. Except I think in the show's timeline Nixon didn't resign but left office in 72 after losing to RFK so that would mean Watergate didn't have the same impact. Not sure why they bothered to include that scene as it didn't impact NASA (and seems unlikely Watergate break-in would have been exactly the same), would have been more interesting if no Ford presidency meant Nixon went to jail. That could have been a fun background event.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Nixon hated the Kennedies, especially after 1960 and how he believed they stole the election. It would have burned him so hard to accept a pardon from one of them.

Why yes I love this show because it has alternate history stuff, never mind me!

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Rappaport posted:

Nixon hated the Kennedies, especially after 1960 and how he believed they stole the election. It would have burned him so hard to accept a pardon from one of them.

Why yes I love this show because it has alternate history stuff, never mind me!

Oh yeah I'm an alternate history megafan, the montage at the beginning of season 2 was catnip. Really hoping they do that again for the beginning of season 3. If they wanted to have an episode where someone just watches the news for an hour I'd be happy with that. Sort of like how DS9 was going to do a whole episode where the camera never leaves Quark's bar and I really wish they'd got it into production.

They do seem to be setting the stage for the USSR to persist into the 90s and beyond, like mentioning no draining Afghan war and no hint of a Star Wars program. The soviets are putting a lot into space exploration but with the accompanying tech advances and successful mining operations seems like it would be costly but have returns, unlike a conventional military buildup, and would likely have less domestic stress as draftees aren't being sent anywhere.

Something else is I think the US left Vietnam five years earlier than in our timeline, wonder if that would mean more trust of the government and military? I'm also wondering if they will have a first Gulf War or will do something similar to what they did with Panama and move the conflict somewhere else.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Regarding Watergate I believe so, they included a phone call after president RFK pardoned Nixon where Nixon was upset about the pardon and I think they mentioned Watergate on the call. Except I think in the show's timeline Nixon didn't resign but left office in 72 after losing to RFK so that would mean Watergate didn't have the same impact. Not sure why they bothered to include that scene as it didn't impact NASA (and seems unlikely Watergate break-in would have been exactly the same), would have been more interesting if no Ford presidency meant Nixon went to jail. That could have been a fun background event.
It was Teddy Kennedy, Bobby was still presumably assassinated in ‘68. The divergence from our history happens because Teddy leaves a party early the day the Soviets land on the moon and thus doesn’t kill that woman by driving his car into a river. Then she is the one he gets caught having an affair with as President.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

bawfuls posted:

It was Teddy Kennedy, Bobby was still presumably assassinated in ‘68. The divergence from our history happens because Teddy leaves a party early the day the Soviets land on the moon and thus doesn’t kill that woman by driving his car into a river. Then she is the one he gets caught having an affair with as President.

Oh right, meant to type in Teddy not RFK.

Dr_Strangelove
Dec 16, 2003

Mein Fuhrer! THEY WON!

Tighclops posted:

:hmmyes:

Most bracing, brutal two hours ever committed to film/video. Also, because I'm an insane person, I watch Threads while working.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Dr_Strangelove posted:

:hmmyes:

Most bracing, brutal two hours ever committed to film/video. Also, because I'm an insane person, I watch Threads while working.

I see you haven't watched Come and See

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Special Bulletin is another solid one from 1983 with nuclear themes. Although not about a global nuclear war it is a darn good watch with the narrative coming from a TV news broadcast. It was on YouTube last I checked, definitely a recommend.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

When the Wind Blows. Especially depressing because I loved The Snowman as a kid, so seeing two old people die of radiation poisoning in the same art style as a beloved childhood Christmas classic hit even harder.

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

I can't recommend Threads enough, really.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Special Bulletin is another solid one from 1983 with nuclear themes. Although not about a global nuclear war it is a darn good watch with the narrative coming from a TV news broadcast. It was on YouTube last I checked, definitely a recommend.

Holy poo poo yeah, seconding this. Basically Cold War of the Worlds