Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Traitorous Leopard
Jul 20, 2009

Don't reckon I've got the energy to stay up and watch this one, but this late start once again seems to make our path to the championship series a little easier. We'll truly know if god is on our side if our game avoids the rain delay tomorrow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.
Vandy’s pen getting an extra recovery day would suck.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.
UVA’s 9 hitter ties it in the 5th, just when it looked like they’d never get any of their base runners in. Vasil’s been as good as he can be, dunno if he has anything left

hit that on the screws https://twitter.com/d1baseball/status/1408278584930844672?s=21

Why is Vasil still in this game

elentar fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Jun 25, 2021

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true
Re Today's games: Let's go State!

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Yeah UVA just didn’t have enough yesterday, Texas is basically the same team just better across the board.

kayakyakr posted:

Re Today's games: Let's go State!

Hoping they get the game in, worried about the later one.

Honestly State really needs to win this one, they literally only have 5 trustworthy pitchers so he only chance they have against a team with Vandy’s depth is playing as few games as possible. Maybe if they can get to Rocker before he settles in. Still a very tough assignment, would expect to see them both back at it for the winner-take-all tomorrow.

Traitorous Leopard
Jul 20, 2009

elentar posted:

Yeah UVA just didn’t have enough yesterday, Texas is basically the same team just better across the board.

Hoping they get the game in, worried about the later one.

Honestly State really needs to win this one, they literally only have 5 trustworthy pitchers so he only chance they have against a team with Vandy’s depth is playing as few games as possible. Maybe if they can get to Rocker before he settles in. Still a very tough assignment, would expect to see them both back at it for the winner-take-all tomorrow.

Different teams have gotten to both Rocker and Leiter at times this year. A tall order, but I think the pack’s lineup can pull it off. Can’t say I wouldn’t like to see Vandy take one, though, just to eat up a liiiittle more pitching.

I guess Rocker is on one day shorter rest? Probably not a huge deal, but ya never know!

Traitorous Leopard
Jul 20, 2009

Welp, game delayed for health and safety protocols. Supposedly it’s a few NC State players. Hoping it’s just false positives. Would be hosed if the NCAA forces a forfeit instead of just moving the games.

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

NC State poo poo strikes again.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

NC State doesn't have anyone on the bench or more then three or so arms in the bullpen, any regular that's out is a potentially mortal blow anyway.

Looks like it's two guys: JT Jarrett, the second baseman who either hits 8th or 9th. Him they could probably replace. But the other is Evan Justice, who has been absolutely elite since moving into the bullpen. They would have enough reliable arms to get through today's game, but not for the rematch tomorrow. And obviously contact tracing could just clear out the whole team.

Mons Hubris posted:

NC State poo poo strikes again.

i mean, i know the State fanbase has a well-deserved reputation for being pretty histrionic but my god

guess i'll go ahead and get it out of the way that of course it's the team that wears camo jerseys that comes down with COVID

elentar fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Jun 25, 2021

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

update as to who's at the field makes it look like McDonough and Torres are out in additional to Jarrett, unclear about Tresh (who catches every single inning for this team) or Tatum. Potentially more than half of the starting lineup. No word on pitchers other than Justice out.

edit: this is also entirely self-inflicted; vaccinated players were not subject to testing. so it's on those players for not getting vaccinated, and on the program for not insisting on it and requiring documentation before the players saw the field.

elentar fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Jun 25, 2021

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

Yeah without Justice I think this will be a bridge too far. That sucks

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

State is starting Garrett Payne, a guy who has pitched all of 9 innings this year, which makes me think they're just conceding this one and trying to come back tomorrow with every arm they have available (and see if maybe somehow some negative tests will get a few players back)

Tresh is catching, from the point of view of fielding a team he's probably State's most important player and if (huge if) he connects with a Rocker pitch it will go a long way. Murr-Butler-Tresh-Brown is still a great top of the lineup. But after that and Mensik, it's just a wasteland. Sam Highfill, who shut down Vandy Monday, is starting at first, that's how bad this is.

elentar fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Jun 25, 2021

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Looks like State's one even occasional bench sub, Noah Soles, with all of 29 AB this year, is also out.

So that leaves the bottom 4 all freshmen, and not the hotshot kind:

Carson Falsken, 12 AB this season
Sam Highfill, 0 AB
Eddie Eisert, 5 AB
DeAngelo Giles, 10 AB

Imagine your first college baseball AB coming in the CWS against Kumar Rocker. What's the single-game CWS strikeout record?

also State only has 4 pitchers available, presumably Payne is the best of them?

edit: from message board chatter (i know, i know, but the sbnation board is very good) apparently JT Jarrett might not even be covid protocol, was apparently sent home and "is no longer with the team"

what a loving disaster

ESPN also said something about Jarrett, ugh

elentar fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Jun 25, 2021

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

elentar posted:

Imagine your first college baseball AB coming in the CWS against Kumar Rocker. What's the single-game CWS strikeout record?

Rocker is almost definitely going to get a kajillion K’s today, but if your real players can bat around a little bit and stay alive, he can be gotten to.

Man, I am nervous for State and they knocked my team out! I hope they can do it :ohdear:

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

elentar posted:

I think Mississippi State set that record a few days ago.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

I think State should be given the benefit of the doubt on all borderline calls today, it's only sporting

(def some chalk coming up there though nice one Mensik)

why is the Vandy coach still whinging. are they going to take him back off second?

oh god they can't change the call, they have actual proof and they can't change the call. what a loving travesty

k gently caress this i'm out for a bit, gotta do something productive

elentar fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Jun 25, 2021

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true
NC State going into Covid protocol is hilarious. Idiots.

I like that their starting pitcher is in the batting lineup and has 2 hits on Rocker.

Traitorous Leopard
Jul 20, 2009

Pitchers at the plate rules

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true
Feels like the wheels are gonna come off for NC State here.

And I agree. NCAA should go away from the DH and force the pitchers to swing.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
The worst :toot:BLAN

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

great effort and way closer than you'd expect but it was never going to be enough, the real killer is it feels like they could have pulled it off it it weren't for the handful of mental mistakes—but it's hard to blame the team for mentality on a day like this. biggest plays were Highfill getting picked off at second (though again, hard to complain with a guy with no college ABs to his name goes 3-4), and then Butler getting plunked when he was the potential go-ahead run, bringing up Tresh who hasn't hit anything for a month or more.

i guess Highfill pitches tomorrow on short rest but if this is the lineup vs. Leiter it's not going to matter who takes the mound. expecting the slaughter that should've come today.

kayakyakr posted:

Feels like the wheels are gonna come off for NC State here.

the wheels came off the moment the coaching staff decided, you know what, let's not require the players to all get vaccinated, what's the worst that can happen

or worse still the moment they declined to even have that conversation

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

elentar posted:

or worse still the moment they declined to even have that conversation

Nailed it

https://twitter.com/aaronfitt/status/1408562085907271687?s=21

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Losing the CWS to own the libs

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

goddammit now they've gone and made it Greek drama, they have to lose to punish their tragic flaw

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

It's gotta be so loud at TD Ameritrade right now. This is intense.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.
Mississippi State has magic 8th inning energy

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Walked in a run :suspense:

e: LET'S GO STATE!! :woop:

Dango Bango fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Jun 26, 2021

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

good game

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Oof

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

good game. would be fine with another tomorrow

Traitorous Leopard
Jul 20, 2009

gently caress

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

And a rain delay? poo poo.

HMS Beagle
Feb 13, 2009

elentar posted:

good game. would be fine with another tomorrow

How would you feel about the same game tomorrow.

HMS Beagle
Feb 13, 2009

https://twitter.com/NCAACWS/status/1408668849654796289?s=19

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

https://twitter.com/KendallRogers/status/1408676895344971777?s=20

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

State had positives even among the vaccinated players (when the whole roster was tested after the game) so no chance of fielding a team tomorrow or any time soon.

Now the worry is if any of the Vandy players are infected, seemingly this should trigger a whole scale test of every athlete and staff member on every team who was at Omaha, vaccinated or not. I really hope this is confined just to the Pack.

https://twitter.com/aaronfitt/status/1408689216964501506?s=21

(article is not paywalled)

elentar fucked around with this message at 08:43 on Jun 26, 2021

RumbleFish
Dec 20, 2007

This really sucks for State, and I think the NCAA could've handled it better for sure (lol at how many times I've said that in my life) -- but I disagree with the fans who are calling it a new level of NC State poo poo, because it was entirely preventable. Sorry your coach is an anti-vaxxer or whatever, but this wasn't the universe bitchslapping a tragically cursed program; it was a deliberate decision made by people on your own squad. (As far as I understand, the UNC system also isn't requiring COVID vaccines for students at this time, which is another layer of the problem.) I'm not trying to kick State while it's down here, I would just be absolutely furious at the coaching staff and AD if I were a fan. The NCAA is a convenient target and deserves some heat, but Jesus, this is even more frustrating than watching members of your favorite NFL team publicly hem and haw about the vaccine.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe
The bullshit is Vanderbilt getting to walk into the final

RumbleFish
Dec 20, 2007

tactlessbastard posted:

The bullshit is Vanderbilt getting to walk into the final

Absolutely agree there, gently caress Vandy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

NC State poo poo has always been to some degree self-inflicted, that’s the whole goddamn deal. It’s bad luck coming after basically screaming at the universe for bad luck, like one of those old atheist firebrands giving a speech where they dare god to prove his existence by hitting them with lightning, except just standing there and continuing to yell for decades if necessary till the bolt finally comes.

elentar fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Jun 26, 2021