Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

I've been playing viewfinder and it ticks some of the weird perspective trick puzzle game boxes that I've been having since playing the witness a while ago. There is another game called moncage I'm looking at but are there any more games like that, preferably playable on the steam deck?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Superliminal if you haven't played that.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

The Saddest Rhino posted:

I've been playing viewfinder and it ticks some of the weird perspective trick puzzle game boxes that I've been having since playing the witness a while ago. There is another game called moncage I'm looking at but are there any more games like that, preferably playable on the steam deck?

Perspective - Haven't tried it on deck, might not play great on it but costs nothing to find out.
Gorogoa - Yes, I know it's 2D; it still counts. This is the game Moncage is copying and wants to be; Moncage is okay too, though.
Superliminal - Not amazing, but it's trying.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.

I've played superliminal and gorgoa but haven't heard of perspective. Thanks for the recs!

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

The Saddest Rhino posted:

Moncage is pretty cool. I recommend it.

If nonlinear geometry doesn't bother you, here are a couple more good games that use perspective or weird spatial tricks. Both are very Escher-inspired (impossible paths, broken physics, etc.):

Antichamber - Older game that I always found a little clunky, but it's well-loved in the "gently caress you physics" genre.

Manifold Garden - Newer game with similar gameplay style to Antichamber. Up is down until it isn't.

And Superliminal, mentioned above, falls into this category as well.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.

Haven't played manifold garden so I'll check it out! It reminds me that when phone games were not gatcha or live service trash I used to play monument valley so if there's a steam game like that I'd try that out too

I played a bit of gorogoa and moncage, imo gorogoa is the superior game mostly because it seems more intuitive as to what your goals are and what you need to do. I have zero idea what moncage is asking me to do and then it would be, oh I need to connect this ladder to a bookshelf? Ok? Why? It feels like I'm doing things without purpose and the actions you need to complete are so arbitrary

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Monument Valley and its sequel are available on Steam.

busalover
Sep 12, 2020
Monument Valley is very cute, and chill.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!
There's a pretty great puzzle game Humble Bundle right now.

$15 gets you:

Patrick's Parabox
Taiji
Superliminal
Manifold Garden
The Pedestrian
The Witness
The Talos Principle 1: Gold Edition
(includes DLC, soundtrack, etc.)

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
That is an incredible collection of games you all should absolutely get.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Islands of Insight is out and I am the sucker paying full price at launch for it, I'll post if there's any red flags from later portions beyond the demo area

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

I created a thread for Islands of Insight back during the most recent demo period. I’ll update the title once I’m home tonight but looking forward to jumping into it.

Thread here:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4053369&perpage=40&pagenumber=1&noseen=1

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

->Puzzles
->Platforming
->Timed

Pick two or gently caress off. :argh:

Islands of Insight has some really interesting fractal puzzles and some neat first person exploration with the platforming, but timed platforming puzzles are so incredibly unfun.

Tequila Bob
Nov 2, 2011

IT'S HAL TIME, CHUMPS

bawk posted:

->Puzzles
->Platforming
->Timed

Islands of Insight has some really interesting fractal puzzles and some neat first person exploration with the platforming, but timed platforming puzzles are so incredibly unfun.

It really depends on how it's implemented. Mario Odyssey had timed platform puzzles (from the little scarecrow guy) and they were fun, because they were very short and the controls perfectly suited the challenges. Sonic Frontiers's "classic" levels (with extra rewards for clearing under a time limit) were a bit more of a hassle just because they're longer chunks of game.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

bawk posted:

->Puzzles
->Platforming
->Timed

Deltarune Act 2 proved this false

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock
The timed puzzles are pretty forgiving at least, unless you insist on chasing that gold medal.

Game good so far, but I have never felt the urge or need to interact with other players for the 10 or so hours I’ve been playing.

Also a lot of the puzzles are of the «find this hidden thing» type which quickly gets boring if you’re a completionist.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Yeah i have no interest in 100%ing it, I don't think they really want you to anyway, like there's one place that just spawns random ring puzzles forever. Just get what you want out of the experience.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
There's some timed stuff but they're all very optional and avoidable.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!
Making Islands of Insight a multiplayer game is such a weird choice. I wonder if originally the goal was to stuff it full of microtransactions, and during development they saw how poorly that went for other recent PC games and changed course?

There's no benefit to having it be multiplayer. You can't really co-op puzzles; at best, you might be stuck on a perspective puzzle and see someone standing in the right spot to give you a hint.

If the rubberbanding from the demo is truly gone, there's also no real harm in it being multiplayer, at least until the publisher decides to kill the servers. Then it'll be a real bummer.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
The original pitch to investors was a puzzle Battle Royale

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009
Yeah; the dev originally came up with the idea back in 2019, when games like Fortnite, Apex and even Tetris 99 were at their peak. Turns out that's not what people want from their puzzle games!

It may still work for them despite the issues; the game already has more reviews than their last paid game got in two years, so the pure novelty of massively multiplayer puzzles has clearly got them something. The question is whether it gets them enough to recoup the dev costs.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

i do think the amount of puzzles scattered around may be a bit too overwhelming and fatiguing. it reminds me a bit of genshin impact, how that world had either a puzzle or a combat encounter every 5 feet of the open world. and it does give you a dopamine hit to find and solve a puzzle, but there's definitely diminishing returns the longer you play. so I'm probably just going to focus on the main quest/enclaves for now

also i couldn't give less of a poo poo about the story orbs. "i was once but nothing inside of nothing, then pulled out from the ether, where i experienced an experience" ok whatever dude i got a glass maze to run through

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock
Yeah, when they popped up a survey I basically responded with «multiplayer isn’t needed, and story is irrelevant»

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Not really vibing with Islands of Insight. The puzzles in the first couple hours haven't been particularly clever, and the online component is unnecessary and often intrusive. And the inclusion of a skill tree feels just as unnecessary. Sorry, but I don't want to have to level up my puzzle solving character before I can flood paint regions in puzzles. Basic quality of life features like that should be given to everyone from the start.

As a big fan of exploring strange open worlds, I'm also not digging the exploration aspect here. There's too much poo poo everywhere, to the point where the process of discovery feels rote. And the aesthetic looks nice for the first few minutes, but I quickly got overwhelmed by all the visual noise. The devs really don't know the meaning of moderation. Behind every mountain are some symbols to connect or an invisible gate to stumble into, and with every turn of the camera you get a new trapper keeper cover to look at. That sounds good at first, but by trying to make every moment feel special, everything feels routine instead. No matter where you go, you're just filling in progress bars by stumbling into all the random crap everywhere.

All that said, the game is fine I guess. It looks pretty sometimes, and the puzzles can be interesting time wasters. But I don't think it goes beyond "time waster" for me.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 12:27 on Feb 17, 2024

KNR
May 3, 2009
From playing the demo, the best part of the game by far was Taiji 2: Now with a Worse Overworld. And match 3 was interesting conceptually, but often felt like magic sequences. But basically every 3D puzzle was just a variation on finding hidden objects and mazes.

And the exploration was bad because the world felt more like a random assembly of 3D assets than the Talos Principle, which genuinely was just reusing serious sam assets. It felt like they created a bunch of nondescript fantasy islands, and then populated them with puzzles in a fully separate pass by different people who couldn't alter the geometry anymore.

Chomposaur
Feb 28, 2010

I'd say the main attraction are the enclaves which are the one-and-done more crafted puzzle experiences. The interstitial open world bits are mostly just an infinite grind of respawning puzzles for if you feel like logging in and banging out a few puzzles. The puzzles do get more interesting as you go, the logic grids are the star of the show and they keep bolting on new elements to them. There are a handful of meta puzzles that make you engage with the world a bit more too.

But yeah I don't find the exploration or narrative super compelling, for me it's 90% just a delivery system for a fuckload of puzzles.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

I've done an entire 180 on the timed platforming sections. I've started getting better at doing some kind of jump cancel with the flight, and instead of barely scraping by to get Gold Medals, I've gotten the hidden Grandmaster medal on quite a few of them.

This is why people play Neon White, isn't it? :shepface: gently caress me, I'm gonna end up taking breaks from Islands of Insight to buy/play Neon White

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

neon white is a puzzle game, kind of

Oenis
Mar 15, 2012
It's really hard finding guidance on Islands of Insight online, so I'll ask here, even if it might be a long shot:

In the level "the trick of the wanderer" you'll have to follow a wandering echo that's quicker than you can manage to follow with your normal speed. I managed to follow it all the way down to the bottom with the sideways archway, and I think after that it travels back to the start, but I have no idea how to get back. I tried killing myself but I think that just resets the puzzle. edit: actually that was the solution, I think my execution was just lacking.

Oenis fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Feb 17, 2024

Evil Trout
Nov 16, 2004

The evilest trout of them all
20 Small Mazes came out yesterday on Steam, and it's free so you have no excuse not to play it. I beat it in 45 minutes, so it's bite sized and perfect for your lunch break. I was not a fan of the sliding puzzle but besides that there's a lot of clever and fun stuff to play with. It's too bad it's not $5 or something because I'd love to support the creator.

Doug Sisk
Sep 11, 2001

Evil Trout posted:

20 Small Mazes came out yesterday on Steam, and it's free so you have no excuse not to play it. I beat it in 45 minutes, so it's bite sized and perfect for your lunch break. I was not a fan of the sliding puzzle but besides that there's a lot of clever and fun stuff to play with. It's too bad it's not $5 or something because I'd love to support the creator.

That is a top tier lunchtime game, I looked at the devs other games, and he has one called RYB which is also quite interesting and well worth the zero cost!

Edit: RYB is fine for color blind people as the colors are fairly distinct, up to the halfway point when it gets a lot harder for us. A shame, but not unusual.

Doug Sisk fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Feb 18, 2024

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Party Boat posted:

neon white is a puzzle game, kind of

It's definitely got some twitch to it but it feels like it leans more towards testing your routing than testing your execution, as opposed to something like Lovely Planet which IMO is very challenging from both a planning and execution standpoint

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Doug Sisk posted:

That is a top tier lunchtime game, I looked at the devs other games, and he has one called RYB which is also quite interesting and well worth the zero cost!

Edit: RYB is fine for color blind people as the colors are fairly distinct, up to the halfway point when it gets a lot harder for us. A shame, but not unusual.
oh I didn't know that was the RYB developer, I liked RYB

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Evil Trout posted:

Thanks for posting this, it was delightful

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
I've just finished Poems and Codes, the sequel to Prose and Codes. Both games are fantastic chill substitution cipher capers, pretty easy for anyone familiar with the basics, but all seamlessly presented and with the great hook of using public domain literature (that the game then directs you to on Project Gutenberg, which is getting a slice of sales). Big thanks to whomever it was who recommended these!

Also just beat RYB based on the posts here- a great game except there's a single point of total conveyance failure in one of the last puzzle sets, which was a source of real frustration when everything else worked so well.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 07:34 on Feb 22, 2024

flesh dance
May 6, 2009

Holy poo poo, thanks for posting! I loved Prose and Codes and had no idea it got a sequel. Anyone into classic literature and word puzzles should check them out

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
Cool new puzzle game announced
https://twitter.com/furnimatgames/status/1760305792182530396

ChewyLSB
Jan 13, 2008

Destroy the core
This islands of insight pattern puzzle is driving me loving nuts.

I eventually just brute forced the stupid thing because I literally had no idea what it was going for.

I think it has something to do with the prebuilt shapes that already existed on the puzzle? Because normally I feel like the prebuilt grid isn't also broken up into shapes but I literally have no idea how to apply that to "continue" the pattern

I'm also just straight up convinced this other puzzle's prebuilt section is wrong.

The upper right whip should have one more black dot for a 1 section

ChewyLSB fucked around with this message at 08:35 on Feb 24, 2024

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
It's a bit hard to see, but if you rearrange the shapes you're allowed to use on the right, so that they cover the left, there's only one to do that while still having each shape only be one colour.

Jabor fucked around with this message at 08:44 on Feb 24, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

ChewyLSB posted:

This islands of insight pattern puzzle is driving me loving nuts.

The key insight here is that all blocks of colour are made up of groups not single blocks like usual, even the prebuilt section. Then it's a simple matter of identifying the rule for what makes a group black or white

fez_machine fucked around with this message at 11:22 on Feb 24, 2024