Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nweismuller
Oct 11, 2012

They say that he who dies with the most Opil wins.

I am winning.
EclecticTastes: I might be willing to let you claim Rebecca if you want; the only awkward bit is that she'll inevitably inherit and then you're in the position of the ruler for a long time. It's a little easier to manage the LP when I have the ruler avatar doing the decisions on the ground, short of a method to have the person doing the ruler there in real-time to advise. That said, I can try to make it work. Somehow. Otherwise, you do have Malachi claimed. What do you think?

In other news, I've basically finished uploading images for the next update, I can look into starting writing on Sunday, although it's likely I'll take a few days to finish.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."
I mean, the case can be made for Malachi as head of Administration, from a stability standpoint. The odds of him inheriting anything that might force him out of his role is extremely low compared to Romeo or Rebecca, and he's also pretty young, and quite accomplished. Putting him in the position would ensure consistent leadership, and make it easier to start pumping up his admin score to eventually get back to where we once were (I'm dreading the next income report). Thomas' sudden passing has clearly affected him, but I'm not entirely sure how at the moment. I'll feel it out as I go. Not being burdened by the Honorable trait will definitely help liven up my suggestions going forward, though. :devil:

Some notes about how Malachi compares to Thomas as an admin head:

-Malachi understands that the richer the guild is, the cheaper things get, and thus the more shamelessly opulent his lifestyle can become, so he, like Thomas, favors a money-first approach, albeit with wildly different motivations. That said, Pleasure Districts, Blue Dust Mines, and Synthohol Plants are now the top-priority wealth facility types, to be repaired first among any colony's holdings.

-Malachi isn't concerned if people starve. Repair order among our vassals is now to be determined solely by who can provide us with the most taxes*, the one exception being colonies down to their last facility, who still come first. Malachi doesn't want to see a colony abandoned any more than anyone else does, but he's not particularly concerned about starving peasants.

-Malachi is proudly corrupt, and would love to push the guild towards dishonorable activities. Facilities that improve spying and/or assassination are now part of the Priority 4 group, up from Priority 6/7. For those who may have forgotten, that puts them ahead of buildings that improve technology, diplomacy, military, or general security (spying and assassination both technically being part of Security, IIRC), and equal with hospitals.

-Malachi gleefully accepts bribes, though I'm not sure how to represent that through gameplay at present.

*To be clear, this is not the most total taxes, but rather the most tax income per point of their own income. The Lamb Clan is huge, but they're running low taxes, so they would likely be at lower priority than a smaller vassal that runs higher taxes (assuming there's not some massive difference in their admin scores or other factors at play). If the Lamb Clan wants first dibs, they can start leaning on their own vassals harder.

nweismuller
Oct 11, 2012

I am winning.
I actually ended up appointing Rebecca as the next Admin head- she has the highest rating in Admin. That said, that will be reasonably temporary, and Malachi is next on the list, since I'm anticipating Romeo will inherit from his sister soon. Speaking of House personnel, we have no fewer than four people coming of age by 2534- Noelle and Bella's son Jayne, Geraldine and Malachi's son Adam, Thomas and Oriole's daughter Anna, and Emily and Leslie's son Liberty. Jayne and Anna are slated to marry, but I'm thinking we might, perhaps, want to marry Adam or Liberty out into another House. Population control can be awkward.

nweismuller fucked around with this message at 14:11 on Jun 1, 2023

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."
In Rebecca's case, like, I don't need to take over her character fully, because it'd be pretty hard to play ruler when I'm not the one LPing the video game, but, I could still direct admin policy, particularly as her policy differences from Thomas wouldn't be that significant, I imagine. The main difference I envision is she'd be less willing to say no to Prudence or her husband's requests, and she'll fast-track that hospital in Kajam sometime in the near future, though not in a way that delays the ringworld repairs or our purchase of Saiph. In general, reasonable requests from the older generation of non-adopted members of the Weiss family (as well as Illario) can be considered immediately rubber-stamped and scheduled for the earliest moment that doesn't interfere with any special projects.

nweismuller
Oct 11, 2012

I am winning.
Let me just get you a little teaser for the next update, since I think you, in particular, will find it heartening...

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

:syoon:

General Revil
Sep 30, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

nweismuller posted:

but I'm thinking we might, perhaps, want to marry Adam or Liberty out into another House.

My vote is for Adam because I would like to take control of Liberty once Ilario sheds his mortal coil.

nweismuller
Oct 11, 2012

I am winning.

General Revil posted:

My vote is for Adam because I would like to take control of Liberty once Ilario sheds his mortal coil.

Why Liberty, in particular?

Lady Jaybird
Jan 23, 2014

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

It's funny, I thought good ol' Romeo would supplant Thomas. Alas inheriting a system probably will be for the better, since our boy is still down bad for Jane and having him on the council would probably cause trouble.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

dervinosdoom posted:

It's funny, I thought good ol' Romeo would supplant Thomas. Alas inheriting a system probably will be for the better, since our boy is still down bad for Jane and having him on the council would probably cause trouble.

Oh, I hadn't seen you post in a while, so I wasn't sure if you were still following. I'm happy to step aside for a bit if you want a turn to play.

nweismuller
Oct 11, 2012

I am winning.
Speaking of not posting in a while... you still with us, habituallyred? I can get back to sending you updates on things in Roach territories if you want, but I've been not bothering when you don't seem to be around. Jessica is still alive, at the least.

General Revil
Sep 30, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

nweismuller posted:

Why Liberty, in particular?

Check page 18 for the letter from Ilario to Liberty. I'm passing on the dream of terraforming a planet to him by telling him about the vision from the implanted memory chip.

nweismuller
Oct 11, 2012

I am winning.
I'm currently working on the main update. That said, given that the family tree for House Weiss has begun to get a little clunky, a reminder of the genealogy of the House.

First Generation, main line

Alice Weiss (b. 2455 d. 2500) was, briefly, the first Director-General of House Weiss, but died in the process of claiming her throne. She married her distant cousin Harold Weiss (b. 2447 d. 2515). Their children were Jane, Thomas, Jessica, and Prudence.

Second Generation, main line

Jane Weiss (b. 2475) married Mariko Fardell (b. 2477). They (perhaps not too surprisingly) have no children.

Thomas Weiss (b. 2477 d. 2531) married Oriole Nichols (b. 2476). Their children are Rebecca, Emily, Alice, and Anna. Oriole has since remarried Noelle Garcia, Bella Garcia's widower (b. 2489, original surname Barry).

Jessica Weiss (b. 2479) married out into House Roach, marrying Hayden Roach (b. 2479). Their children are Julian and Nuri Roach.

Prudence Weiss (b. 2481) married Romeo Kelley (b. 2478). Their children are Malachi, Allen, Devon, and Lucy.

Third Generation, Thomas' line

Rebecca Weiss (b. 2498) married Ilario Goodman (b. 2474). Their daughter is Salome Weiss (b. 2524).

Emily Weiss (b. 2499) married Leslie Porter (b. 2479). Their children are Liberty (b. 2518), Anthony (b. 2523), and Georgina (b. 2528); Leslie also has a son from a previous marriage, Sir Bart Porter, the head of the minor House Waller in Nashira.

Alice Weiss (b. 2501) married out into House Porter, marrying Leslie's brother, Baron Gustave Porter of Hyadum (b. 2480). Their children are Shannon, Oscar, and Layne Porter.

Anna Weiss (b. 2517) is yet to reach her majority, but it is planned, barring objections from either relevant party, for her to marry Jayne Garcia (b. 2516).

Third Generation, Prudence's Line

Malachi Weiss (b. 2499) married Geraldine Fardell (b. 2496), who is Mariko's niece. Their children are Adam (b. 2517) and Paulus (b. 2528).

Allen Weiss (b. 2503) married Vanida Noble (b. 2496). They have one son, George (b. 2524).

Devon Weiss (b. 2508) married out into House Contreras, marrying Fremont Martin (b. 2508). Their son is Tony Martin.

Lucy Weiss (b. 2513) married Harold Garcia (b. 2513). They have one son, Flint (b. 2531).

Other Members

Bella Garcia (b. pre-Collapse, d. 2518) married Noelle Barry (b. 2489). Their children are Harold (b. 2513) and Jayne (b. 2516). She was adopted into House Weiss following her awakening from cryosleep.

Noelle Barry (b. 2489) was a member of the officer class who befriended Mariko before leaving to Saiph to seek service under House Potts. He was lured back to Vega and adopted into House Weiss as a full member of the nobility.

Carmen Eaton (not her original name; since the earliest references I can find to her in game history are her as Bradford Eaton's wife, I can't be sure of her original House) (b. 2471) was divorced by Bradford Eaton in 2511. She then married into House Weiss as Harold Weiss's second wife. She had two children by her first marriage, Andie and Revelin.

Keir Perry (similarly to Carmen, I'm not sure of his original House) (b. 2471) was the widower of Baroness Meria Perry of Nashira; he then remarried into House Weiss by marrying Carmen Weiss, Harold Weiss's widow. He had two children by Meria Perry, Yuki and Naoll Perry, both of whom died untimely deaths.

Polly Weiss (b. pre-Collapse) is an AI who was adopted into House Weiss as a full member. That has been working out surprisingly well thus far.

I hope this summary of genealogy helps people keep all the members of House Weiss straight- and, if you have any questions, feel free to ask.

nweismuller fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Jun 6, 2023

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

What's the current order of succession? I know Alice is in the Big Chair for now, and Thomas was next in line, but after that I'm not sure.

I figure the next three or four in line for the throne should be fine, since it would take things going pretty wrong for poo poo to have to go that far down the line before people getting married and having children shuffles the org chart anyway. There's probably protocols in place for a King Ralph situation, but that's the kind of thing that would require, shall we say, outside engineering. (And by "outside engineering" I mean a whole lot of murderin'.)

nweismuller
Oct 11, 2012

I am winning.

MechaCrash posted:

What's the current order of succession? I know Alice is in the Big Chair for now, and Thomas was next in line, but after that I'm not sure.

I figure the next three or four in line for the throne should be fine, since it would take things going pretty wrong for poo poo to have to go that far down the line before people getting married and having children shuffles the org chart anyway. There's probably protocols in place for a King Ralph situation, but that's the kind of thing that would require, shall we say, outside engineering. (And by "outside engineering" I mean a whole lot of murderin'.)

The law of succession is 'oldest child'. This means, with Jane as current ruler, her younger brother Thomas would inherit next (except he's dead). After that, his daughter Rebecca. After that, Rebecca's daughter Salome. After that, Thomas' daughter Emily. Then her children. Then Alice Porter, then her children. Then Anna, and any hypothetical children she has. Then Jessica Roach and her descendants. Then Prudence and her descendants.

nweismuller fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Jun 7, 2023

nweismuller
Oct 11, 2012

I am winning.
Computer freeze lost me all my writing progress on update. I'll... get on recreating that, argh.

General Revil
Sep 30, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

nweismuller posted:

Computer freeze lost me all my writing progress on update. I'll... get on recreating that, argh.

Save your work regularly!

Xlorp
Jan 23, 2008

It is time to reconstruct the reconstruction of humanity's habitat

nweismuller
Oct 11, 2012

I am winning.
The ground-effect bike is a spectacularly useless craft. This does not, however, mean it is never made. A small, nimble, one-person vehicle with short wings, it is designed to fly a small height over relatively flat surfaces, relying on the reduced drag from operating so close to the surface to allow it to float above the ground without having an engine powerful enough to reach true climb velocity. It can only operate on planets or moons with suitable gravity and atmospheric density, and is incapable of delivering any significant cargo.

All this said, for certain thrill-seekers of the nobility, the ground-effect bike provides a remarkably exhilarating experience to pilot. For this reason, and no other, a few are manufactured for the nobility. Both Noelle and Oriole have long shared an interest in ground-effect bike piloting- and, through Noelle's friendship with Mariko, this interest has been passed on to Mariko.

So it was that when Mariko's passion for Jane began to cool, that Jane took up ground-effect bike piloting...

A small teaser, while I'm away from home, and knowing it may take a while of work to recreate the update once I'm back.

Xlorp
Jan 23, 2008

Hell's Belles ride forever!

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

nweismuller posted:

The ground-effect bike is a spectacularly useless craft. This does not, however, mean it is never made. A small, nimble, one-person vehicle with short wings, it is designed to fly a small height over relatively flat surfaces, relying on the reduced drag from operating so close to the surface to allow it to float above the ground without having an engine powerful enough to reach true climb velocity. It can only operate on planets or moons with suitable gravity and atmospheric density, and is incapable of delivering any significant cargo.

All this said, for certain thrill-seekers of the nobility, the ground-effect bike provides a remarkably exhilarating experience to pilot. For this reason, and no other, a few are manufactured for the nobility. Both Noelle and Oriole have long shared an interest in ground-effect bike piloting- and, through Noelle's friendship with Mariko, this interest has been passed on to Mariko.

So it was that when Mariko's passion for Jane began to cool, that Jane took up ground-effect bike piloting...

A small teaser, while I'm away from home, and knowing it may take a while of work to recreate the update once I'm back.

So the entire council is having every uncle's mid-life crisis at the same time. Guess Thomas' death hit them harder than I realized.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
Swoop racing, huh? Dangerous. More death coming.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

Bloodly posted:

I dunno, I think the biggest risk is that the jokes will age even more poorly than most of the cast.

nweismuller
Oct 11, 2012

I am winning.

Bloodly posted:

Basically, but with more aerodynamics and less countergrav technology.

nweismuller
Oct 11, 2012

I am winning.
Well, I've finally gotten my sleep more or less back on track and my will restored, although we'll see how writing time competes with my various time commitments across the week. That said, I'd be interested in doing something short and lore-related, so I'll take requests now. I can even try to dive into the personal history files showing what we know about events of people far afield to reconstruct some of their lives, although the farther off they are the more incomplete the game history logs are liable to be. (The game's robust history system is neat, though; you can check on any character, colony, or faction you're aware of and get a complete list of all events you would be aware of (not all of which would be directly brought to your attention in play), which means you can get a great bulk of information if you start digging.)

nweismuller
Oct 11, 2012

I am winning.
The Tale of King-Heir Stella

Long ago, during the empire of House Khalil, there was a wise and kind King of a House whose name has since been lost to history. He was beloved by his people, but he and his wife were sorrowed, for they had yet to conceive a child. Yet eventually the years came that his wife became pregnant, and all the kingdom prepared to gather for a great feast to celebrate the birth of a legitimate heir. And the King summoned from the states round about three of the four greatest geneticists of the age to attend the feast and provide special treatment for the heir to be born. The fourth he did not invite, for she was the Governor-General of a state long rival to his, and he feared that her malice would undo any good she might do to aid his heir.

When the King's daughter was born, she was named Stella, for she was a hope bright as a star to the King and his consort. And so the nobles of his kingdom and the rulers of neighboring states were summoned to the feast, where they made merry for a day and a night and a day again. And as the second day drew to a close, the King summoned the geneticists to see what aid they offered his Stella.

"I have ensured that she will grow beautiful, with thick hair and unblemished skin, and regular features," said the first.

"I have ensured that she will grow in strength and health, enjoying vigor and avoiding sicknesses," said the second.

At this, a figure rose from the crowd of the gathered nobles- the cruel Governor-General. Although she had not been invited, by her intrigues she ensured she had joined the gathering in disguise.

"This health will avail her not in the end, O King," said the Governor-General. "For although she shall be healthy through childhood, on her very day of majority a heart defect I have inserted into her will claim her life. And I know you would dare not harm me, a guest in your own colony, lest you draw the wrath of wise and mighty House Khalil." And it was true- to betray her guest-right was a crime that House Khalil would punish most grievously, and although the King was moved to wrath he dared not order his guards to arrest the Governor-General.

"It is beyond my power to cure this heart defect of its own, O King," said the third geneticist invited. "But I can place Stella in cryo-sleep before she would otherwise die, until the data from the Governor-General's own computers might be recovered to see exactly how the heart defect was induced. And with that data the evil plot might be undone."

The King was sorrowful, but consented to the geneticist's plan, while ordering his Security to keep close watch on Stella through all her childhood, lest the Governor-General dispatch assassins to see the death of his heir done. Stella grew in height and grace and beauty, and as her majority approached many were the sons of neighboring rulers who were introduced to the King's heir Stella, seeking a match with a lady of such beauty and such rank. The day before her sixteenth birthday, the good geneticists placed her into cryo-sleep, that she might slumber until, with hope, a cure could be found.

The King sent many agents to seek the secrets of the Governor-General, but her Security was cruel and watchful, and always his spies were captured and slain, and so the next three years passed sorrowfully. It was then that Duke-Heir Philip, heir to a neighboring state, reached his own majority, having heard many tales of the sleeping Stella and having gazed upon her in her cryo-capsule. Philip was a bold and impetuous man, and a man of subtlety and cunning. And he had taken it into his heart that he should save Stella and perhaps be awarded her hand in marriage.

It was thus that Philip set out for the colony of the Governor-General, disguised as a simple mercenary seeking fortune in the employ of a mighty ruler. And the Governor-General, although her cunning was great, did not penetrate the purposes of Philip. Late one night he stole away to the central computer core, there overpowering the guards on duty and stealing the data files detailing the cruel modification the Governor-General had made. He then by ruse stole a shuttle and fled the system, making his way back to the King.

When Philip presented the data files to the King, the King straightaway brought these files to the good geneticists, who saw how the evil deed had been done and how it might be undone. And within the week Stella was awakened with her heart repaired of the fatal flaw. Then, in gratitude, the King consented that Stella should wed Philip, so in time their children should be heirs to both his kingdom and to the state belonging to Philip's father. And, with the data files presented to House Khalil, the Archon was moved to arrest the Governor-General and depose her for her crime against a neighbor. And so Stella and Philip lived in peace for the remainder of their days, and their states were joined together in good time.

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
Lovely fluff! Good to see you still writing

nweismuller
Oct 11, 2012

I am winning.

wedgekree posted:

Lovely fluff! Good to see you still writing

Seeing that Sleeping Beauty survived as a story is a thing, yes?

Vanigo
Dec 16, 2021

nweismuller posted:

Seeing that Sleeping Beauty survived as a story is a thing, yes?

I'm surprised they transplanted it into space. Do they not tell fairy tales about things that allegedly happened before the fall anymore?

nweismuller
Oct 11, 2012

I am winning.
Happy Independence Day! If I weren't sick as a dog, I'd be working on an update, but as is... you're waiting on me having health.

Xlorp
Jan 23, 2008

nweismuller posted:

Happy Independence Day! If I weren't sick as a dog, I'd be working on an update, but as is... you're waiting on me having health.

Assign a technology specialist to N of House Weismuller, stat!

nweismuller
Oct 11, 2012

I am winning.

Vanigo posted:

I'm surprised they transplanted it into space. Do they not tell fairy tales about things that allegedly happened before the fall anymore?

Hansel and Gretel has survived mostly unchanged. Although most inhabitants of the colonies have, shall we say, a hilariously inadequate view of what a 'forest' is.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

Vanigo posted:

I'm guessing that the version passed down was from a Khalil-era retelling made by Space Luc Besson. Sort of like how the version of Romeo and Juliet enjoyed by the Weiss Guild takes place in upstate New York and As You Like It takes place in feudal Japan despite the cast being almost entirely British.

inflatablefish
Oct 24, 2010

nweismuller posted:

Hansel and Gretel has survived mostly unchanged. Although most inhabitants of the colonies have, shall we say, a hilariously inadequate view of what a 'forest' is.

Now I'm wondering what archaic turns of phrase have survived the collapse. eg "We're not out of the woods yet"

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

inflatablefish posted:

Now I'm wondering what archaic turns of phrase have survived the collapse. eg "We're not out of the woods yet"

"We don't have fresh atmo yet"?

nweismuller
Oct 11, 2012

I am winning.
Health is back in shape, although I'm in a small bit of stress from a long-overdue computer upgrade coming up. Work will happen after transferring information over and making sure I don't lose any passwords and the like.

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
Glad feeling better! RL always comes first nweis.

nweismuller
Oct 11, 2012

I am winning.

Introduction to 'The Birth of the Weiss Guild', House Weiss propaganda film posted:

Vega, the jewel of the colonies. Seat of the mighty Weiss Guild, binding together many colonies and many noble Houses in peace. A thriving colony, home to officers, craftsmen, soldiers, and serfs, all working together to build a future for themselves and their families. A place with food and comfort for all. This all brought about under the wise and benevolent rule of House Weiss, and our second Director-General, Jane Weiss. But Vega was not always the happy place we know today. Until House Weiss rose to defend the colony, it suffered under the cruel leadership of King Emmanuel Goodman, who squandered the long nobility of his line to pursue his own ungodly whims. It was only through the courage of Alice Weiss and her husband Harold, and their ability to unite the Houses of Vega, that Vega was freed from his tyranny, and brought Alice to the first Directorship-General. Let us see the courage and the romance of... the birth of the Weiss Guild.

The film that follows is a dramatised rendition of the revolt, focusing on Alice's political efforts to recruit other Houses to stand against House Goodman, Harold's courage as a military leader, and an exaggerated romance between Alice and Harold. Alice's mortal injury as she joined the final push against House Goodman is played up for emotional impact through music, lighting, and dramatic speeches. Jane, Thomas, Prudence, and Romeo show up as very minor characters during the revolt; Oriole in her role as head of Security and Mariko supporting Alice's efforts to sway the minor Houses to House Weiss's side have a somewhat larger role. Despite the actor for Emmanuel Goodman chewing the scenery, many of the people old enough to actually remember Emmanuel Goodman agree that his depiction is 'barely exaggerated'.

General Revil
Sep 30, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

nweismuller posted:

Despite the actor for Emmanuel Goodman chewing the scenery, many of the people old enough to actually remember Emmanuel Goodman agree that his depiction is 'barely exaggerated'.

Love that little tidbit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nweismuller
Oct 11, 2012

I am winning.
A persistent story amongst the officers of House Weiss holds that the unquiet spirit of King Emmanuel Goodman haunts the old House Goodman command center, now a secondary command hub for the House Weiss fleet. Tales of unexplained bloodstains remain unverified by House Weiss itself.