Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What will Nate Diaz move onto after the UFC?
This poll is closed.
Official Stockton Weed King 26 48.15%
Rizin champion, stripped within two days of winning 4 7.41%
Official spokesperson for Subway sandwiches 6 11.11%
Let's be real: it's Bareknuckle Fighting Championship 18 33.33%
Total: 54 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

mewse
May 2, 2006

Kevin Holland:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

mewse posted:

Kevin Holland:

thanks!

So... he's quitting MMA? Probably a wise choice.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

CommonShore posted:

who are we talking about? Please remember that IG requires people to register to see posts.

It only requires that if it identifies you via cookies as someone who has browsed through a certain number of posts without registering, opening individual posts in a fresh incognito session should always work.

But also thanks mewse for the embed.

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud

CommonShore posted:

who are we talking about? Please remember that IG requires people to register to see posts.

gently caress facebook, but creating a throwaway IG account to view posts is free.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

Threatening retirement is basically the only leverage the average UFC fighter has in contract negotiations, so I hope he gets the payday he's almost certainly looking for.

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"

LobsterMobster posted:

It's been a while!

:siren: B League Preview - note the early Ireland start time :siren:

Bellator 285 - Friday, September 23, 2022

Main Card - 4PM ET, Showtime

Lightweight - “Smooth” Benson Henderson vs Peter “The Showstopper” Queally

“Smooth” Benson “Bendo Hendo'' Henderson was, at one point, a really dynamic fighter to watch. He was a scrambley grappler with a penchant for snatching up submissions while also being apparently unable to be submitted himself. He won the WEC lightweight title (Spoilers for Mekchu’s recap series!), and had an all-time great fight with Anthony Pettis in the final WEC fight of all time.

That was 12 years ago.

Sure, he won the UFC lightweight title when the rosters were merged, but he was no longer the scramble man, bursting with excitement. Now he punched people in the thigh and eked out contentious split decisions that nobody was happy with. That period was about 9 years ago.

His Bellator run started in 2016, and he’s gone 5-6 in the promotion. Most recently, Bendo stopped a 3-fight skid with a classic split decision win over Islam Mamedov in January.

Queasy Petesy is a tremendous success story. He went from fighting guys like Crumbo McBumbo and even more fakey made up names, like Decky Dalton, on the regional scene. Since he suffers from Being Irish, he got signed to Bellator in an attempt to vacuum up the crumbs of McGregor Hype, and he promptly lost his promotional debut. A few fights canceled due to his injuries, and a single stoppage win, and he had a match with Patricky “Sorry, no, you’re thinking of my brother. His autograph line is much longer. Ha, no, it’s ok, it really is. Happens all the time” Freire! Pete won via cut stoppage, then was thrown into a rematch 6 months down the line for the vacant title. And then Patricky showed even the worser Pitbull Bro can still put a bum-rear end dork to sleep. Queally was supposed to have a layup return fight in February, but hey, guess what? He had to bow out due to injury again. Womp-womp.

Benson is no longer the man of his youth, but he’s still more than capable of wrestling An Irish for 25 minutes. He can do that in his sleep, so long as he doesn’t choke on his toothpick.

Light Heavyweight - Yoel “Soldier of God” Romero vs Melvin “No Mercy” Manhoef

Oh boy. Whooooooaaaaaa boy. This fight. There’s a lot to go over in this one.

Yoel Romero is a freak athlete from Cuba, who claims to be “only” 45 years old. I would wager he’s at least 73. He was a dominating amateur wrestler, and if he stayed in Cuba, he likely would have been responsible for starting the country’s space program by hurling shuttles into low orbit. He had a bizarre run in the UFC, including him ALLEGEDLY pooping his pants in the cage, missing weight for championship opportunities, and fights that saw prolonged periods of zero activity before exploding in a rush of fast twitch muscles and angry punches that more often than not, killed people in gruesome fashion.

Speaking of killing people in gruesome fashion, Melvin Manhoef! Manhoef has had an equally bizarre career. He was a kickboxer for a time, but moved to MMA and much like baseball has the Three True Outcomes (A batter will either walk, strike out, or hit a homerun), a Manhoef fight had two possible results - Melvin hit you so hard it was declared a humanitarian crisis, or you instantly took him down and submitted him. This is best exemplified by his fight against Mark Hunt, when the middleweight Manhoef, whilst backpedaling, dropped the steel-jawed super heavyweight Samoan in 18 seconds, and Melvin’s bout with Gegard Mousasi, a kickboxer with issues facing grapplers in his own right, who very smartly shot for a takedown and submitted him in 90 seconds.

This fight has a lot of potential. Potential to be sad, as both guys are over 45 years old and have accumulated a lot of damage. Potential to be bizarre, because most Yoel Romero fights are so goddamn weird. Potential to be insane, because if both guys start exchanging, most of the crowd will probably receive second-hand brain trauma.

If Yoel operated logically, he would wrestle quicker than he’s ever wrestled before. But Yoel Romero is a strange man and I fully expect him to stand completely motionless for minutes at a time as both men try to puzzle out the weirdsmobiles in front of each other.

Featherweight - Leah “The Curse” McCourt vs Dayana Silva

Ok, I’m all out of Narrative Juice, so back to my normal method of fight previews. Rote recitation of records and statistics because you can go to heck if you think I’m watching fight film for most of these ding dongs!

McCourt is 6-2 with 1 TKO and 2 submission wins. She took a decision over current UFC flyweight standout, Manan Fiorot early in both women’s careers, though it was at a 138-lb catchweight because McCourt is a real, dyed-in-the-wool featherweight. McCourt has gone 5-1 in Bellator, only dropping her most recent bout, a decision loss to Sinead Kavanagh.

Silva is 10-7, with 2 TKO wins on her resume. She’s fought, and lost, to some notable Brazilian WMMA names, such as Carina Damm, Juliana Lima, and Jennifer Maia. She came to Bellator at 9-5, and simple math shows she’s gone 1-2 in the promotion, her lone win coming by decision over Janay Harding.

McCourt’s record looks nicer, but two of her Bellator opponents were a combined 5-11 when they fought Leah.

Featherweight - Mads Burnell vs Pedro “The Game” Carvalho

Burnell is a grappling-focused fighter. He’s 16-4, with 9 submission wins, 4 of those coming by way of Japanese Necktie. I tell ya, this guy’s got more Japanese neckties than a salaryman! He went 1-2 in the UFC, both losses coming by 3rd round submission. He’s currently 3-1 in Bellator, having lost to Adam Borics in March.
Pedro is 12-6 with 6 sub wins. He’s got 3 wins and 1 loss to people without Tapology pages, and there are random 0-1 dudes who have Tapology pages. He’s 5-3 in Bellator, having dropped his most recent outing in May to Piotr Niedzielski by decision.

Burnell should be a pretty tough test for Carvalho, and he’s mostly failed the hard tests. Mads might not add a necktie to his collection, but expect a submission win for Burnell.

Featherweight - Ciaran Clarke vs Rafael “Apocalipse” Hudson

Clarke is 5-0, all under Bellator. He’s notched 2 submission wins and 1 TKO stoppage (Via dislocated shoulder). Of those 5 Guys (No burgers, no fries), only 2 have had fights in Bellator before or since facing Clarke.

Hudson is 5-3 with 3 submissions and 2 TKOs. He went 4-1 in his native Brazil, and has since gone 1-2 in the European scene. He’s currently on a two fight losing streak.

An undefeated Irish guy on an Ireland card taking on a guy with two losses in a row? Oh baby, we are in Squash Match territory!

Prelim Card - 12:30PM ET, YouTube

Welterweight - Daniel Schiro vs Luca Poclit

Schiro is 9-3 with 4 TKOs and 4 submission wins. He is 1-1 in Bellator, dropping a split decision to current interim champ Logan Storley, but bouncing back in his most recent fight by ground and pounding Scotty Hao in the third round.

Luca is 7-1 with 4 submissions and 1 TKO win. His lone loss was to a then 16-3 Mairbek Taisumov in Poclit’s professional debut in 2012. He had a 4 year hiatus before returning to MMA in 2016. This is his Bellator debut, though he apparently was booked twice, though those fizzled.

Some of Luca’s opponents don’t look too bad on paper, but most of them have padded their records beating a lot of 0-0, 0-1 guys. Schiro has beat one or two guys who seem to exist? Or maybe I’m just reading too much into him getting one judge’s score card against Logan Storley.

Featherweight - Asael “The Sultan” Adjoudj vs Jordan “The Lord” Barton

Adjoudj is 3-1, with 1 TKO, 1 submission, and 1 decision win. Perfectly balanced, as all things should be.

Barton is 7-2 with 4 TKOs and 2 submission wins. He’s one of the few Ciaran Clarke victims to get another fight in Bellator.

Does anyone care about this fight? About these guys? Maybe they will smash into each other that makes for an interesting finish, but it’s unlikely they’ll be remembered 24 hours after the bout.

Featherweight - Alex Bodnar vs Kenny “Black Diamond” Mokhonoana

Bodnar is 4-1 with 1 TKO and 1 submission finish. He has a win over George “Son of Dracula” Tanasa. That is an incredible nickname.

Mokhonoana is 3-0 with 3 submission wins (Though one is enigmatically listed as “Tr” on Tapology. Sherdog states it was a triangle choke).

Neither guy has really beat anyone even remotely mediocre. However, Mokhonoana is Irish, so he’s probably going to win by submission.

Lightweight - Georgi “Insane” Karakhanyan vs Kane “The Danger” Mousah

Georgi made his Bellator debut in 2010, at their 13th ever event. He’s 9-11 in the promotion and has only notched back to back wins inside the Circlegon twice. He’s currently on a 2-fight losing skid.

Mousah is 13-4 as a pro, 2-2 in Bellator. Most of his wins have gone the distance.

Karakhanyan has a ton of experience, but he doesn’t have a good track record for winning in Bellator. Mousah has also struggled with the step up in competition. If Georgi can’t get an early submission, get ready for the long haul.

Lightweight - Darragh Kelly vs Kye “Kid Yeti” Stevens

Kelly is 1-0 as a pro, 9-0 on the ammy scene. All of his fights have been finishes, mostly by submission.

Kye is 3-1 as a pro, 6-1 as an amateur, with most fights ending via strikes.

This looks to be the first actual competition for both men, though I think both guys are can crushers. Kid Yeti is a pretty rad nickname, though.

Bantamweight - Brett “The Pikey” Johns vs Jordan “I’m Gonna” Winski

Johns is 18-3, with 6 subs and 3 clubs. He went a respectable 5-2 in the UFC between 2016 and 2020. He is 1-1 in Bellator, having dropped a decision to Danny Sabatello, but most recently ground and pounding out Khurshed Kakhorov in February.

Winski is 12-3, with 3 clubs and subs each. He’s also 1-1 in Bellator, both fights going to the judges.

Johns was set to face James Gallagher, but James backed out once he realized that Brett is actually a good fighter. Winski hasn’t fought or beat anyone of note other than facing Sergio Pettis in both men’s amateur debuts (If you squint, I will give you Andre Ewell, I guess). Johns should take this fight.

Bantamweight - Brian “The Pikeman” Moore vs Arivaldo “Carnica” Silva

Moore is 14-9, possessing 6 submissions and 4 TKOs. He’s 5-5 in Bellator, and his wins are mostly against people you’ve never heard of (Sorry, Jordan Winski), and most of his losses are to good fighters (Daniel Weichel, AJ McKee, Jornel Lugo, maybe).

Silva is 19-10, with 11 submission victories. He lost to Goiti Yamauchi in 2011 in “Brazilian Fight League”. This looks to be his first bout out of Brazil.

Looks like a classic layup fight for Moore.

Light Heavyweight - “King” Karl Albrektsson vs Karl Moore

Albrektsson is 13-3, with 6 TKOs and 3 subs. He went 3-2 in Rizin, and 2-1 in Bellator, showing a wrestling deficit, which proves just because you look like Ben Askren on Bane serum doesn’t mean you know how to grapple.

Moore is 9-2 with 4 submissions and 2 TKOs.

Karl Fight! Karl Fight! Karl Fight!

bellator prelims starting soon

i am phone posting, so if anyone wants to make a gdt for this + rizin, go for it

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

LobsterMobster posted:

bellator prelims starting soon

i am phone posting, so if anyone wants to make a gdt for this + rizin, go for it

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4013136

Experimental b-league GDT go. Don't miss Peter Queally. Or Jizzy Mack. How could you live with yourself if you missed Jizzy Mack?

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

im imagining a world where there's a hip hop duo named jizzy mack and macky jizz

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"
do they wear their condoms backwards

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

LobsterMobster posted:

Only briefly.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

ribbed for his punishment

Skulker
Jan 27, 2021

Duuuuuude!
Maccy Jizz is what they should call the burger sauce.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Bluedeanie posted:

ribbed for his punishment

Really facing the pain

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

Bellator scientists have finally developed worse looking shorts than venom

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug
Some more Conor meme's in this one - been awhile since they released one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wZJkZymKcJI

Edit: I might have nightmares from this...

Kragger99 fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Sep 24, 2022

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004

I love you, boy. One pack, always.

Lipstick Apathy

Kragger99 posted:

Some more Conor meme's in this one - been awhile since they released one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wZJkZymKcJI

Edit: I might have nightmares from this...

This is next level. lmfaooooo wowweeeee. Gets better and better. 10/10.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Heh
https://www.bloodyelbow.com/2022/9/...m-freddie-roach

quote:

Mike Tyson watched Jake Paul spar for 30 seconds before walking out.

That’s according to Freddie Roach, legendary boxing trainer and owner of Wild Card Gym in Los Angeles, California.

Roach claims Tyson, ‘looked at him [Paul] and left’, with seemingly no interest in interacting with the 5-0 YouTube boxer ahead of his Oct. 29 boxing match with former UFC middleweight champion Anderson Silva.

“He saw 30 seconds of him sparring and said, ‘Freddie, can we go down and see the pictures?’”

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

https://i.imgur.com/WfwrsI9.mp4

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ORp1McHcUeM

Huggie Bear is the best

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

LobsterMobster posted:

not entirely sure but ive heard they will make you hump, hump

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

fight of the year?

https://twitter.com/NeoValeTudo/status/1573772199005233152

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

It's like if Roidtech were a fight instead of sparring. Beautiful

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

is that baz calling the fight? absolute perfection regardless and lmaooooo deanie

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

victory music of the year, surely. I would never have imagined zuluzinho would still be fighting but apparently he fought 3 weeks ago (lost as well)

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

In similar freakshows, and in one of the rare instances where you can feel completely good about either competitors suffering head trauma, Datsik iced Alex Emelianenko in like ten seconds.

https://twitter.com/Matysek88/status/1573797513957613570

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
From Cage Warriors this weekend as well

https://twitter.com/CageWarriors/status/1573529610842771457

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

was that fuckin steve-o on the mic or someone that sounds exactly like him?!

individual865
Mar 26, 2007

Life on the outside ain't what it used to be.

Eat This Glob posted:

was that fuckin steve-o on the mic or someone that sounds exactly like him?!

yeah, that event had steve-o making his debut on commentary with angela hill.

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
Yes, it was.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

ha! that rules. good for steve-o

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
CW had an event in LA so that's why Steve-O was probably involved.

Trillhouse
Dec 31, 2000

good for steve-o. keep at it, sober king.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
http://twitter.com/desecratedbones/status/1574120967047086082

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
Wanted to note that as the month turns over this weekend I didn't want everyone to miss out on how stupidly busy the whole week is for MMA.

Tuesday 8 PM ET - Dana White Contender Series season finale with Bo Nickal
Wednesday 8 PM ET - Invicta with atom title fight
Thursday 6 AM ET - ONE 161 with feather Muay Thai title fight and heavy kickboxing GP semifinals
Friday 10 PM ET - ONE on Prime 2 with straw MMA title fight, feather kickboxing title fight, and inaugural fly submission grappling title fight
Friday 10 PM ET - LFA 143 from a 9000 seat arena in Brazil, with a light heavy title fight and a fly interim title fight plus feather GP semifinal
Saturday 7 PM ET - UFC Fight Night with Mackenzie Dern vs. Xiaonan Yan
Saturday 9 PM ET - BKFC 30 with a cruiser title fight and the bare knuckle debut of Ben Rothwell vs. Bobo O'Bannon
Saturday 10 PM ET - Bellator 286 with feather title fight and AJ McKee

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud

Boco_T posted:

Wanted to note that as the month turns over this weekend I didn't want everyone to miss out on how stupidly busy the whole week is for MMA.

Saturday 10 PM ET - Bellator 286 with feather title fight and AJ McKee

And yet only a single fight that I care about.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

Hey, I wonder if Sam Alvey has gotten any more likable in his retirement

https://theallstar.io/sam-alvey-there-are-too-many-early-stoppages-in-the-ufc-and-i-hate-it/

quote:

They happen now far more often than they used to, in a UFC that is obsessed with “fighter safety.” Fans are being denied the awesome sporting spectacle of that epic comeback from a fighter teetering on the brink. Those fighters are being robbed of their paychecks and left to wonder what might have been.
[...]
Every time there is a late stoppage, the Internet is set ablaze with comments begging for that ref to be fired but when a fight is ended too early only a smattering of upset posts can be found and usually followed by some lame “fighter safety” comment that every true fan should roll their eyes at.

his evidence for this includes how he was unjustly robbed during his fight with Little Nog where he was ragdolled into the cage and motionless while being punched in the head, the video for which is included in the article as, I can only assume, editorial's attempt to mock him
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B-rBtGuxCco

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
i'd happily give up all the amazing comebacks like kongo/barry and edgar/maynard if it meant i could retroactively stop the yan/aldo fight about two minutes earlier

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
Alvey just really misses his best bud's Mario Yamasaki and Steve Mazzagatti.

ccubed
Jul 14, 2016

How's it hanging, brah?
This seems weird:
https://twitter.com/AlexBehunin/status/1574549559513972736

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Weird.

And following that, I learned this:

quote:

The ex-UFC bantamweight champion [Cody Garbrandt] has been pulled from the upcoming UFC Vegas 61 card on Oct. 1 due to an injury suffered in training.

Garbrandt’s removal from the card comes just days after he lost his originally scheduled opponent when Rani Yahya was also forced to pull out due to a neck injury.

This is actually the second time Garbrandt vs. Yahya has been scrapped and rescheduled.