Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
Cyanide realizes that the playerbase is just not going to accept the mega-cash grab and if they have any chance to save BB3's release bump, they need to do something drastic:

(All non-legendary skins will be unlimited use on unlock, Blood Pass Season 1 (and its new team) free.)

https://steamcommunity.com/app/1016950/eventcomments/3784750482954331371?snr=1_2108_9__2107&ctp=2

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Any tips for getting decent photos of 10mm or 6mm minis with a phone? I want to show some stuff off, but don't have quick access to my dslr, how are y'all doing photos? I've seen some great photos of small stuff in here, I'm sure people have a quick way to do this with a phone camera.

I have a full photo set up for my art, but those skills plus equipment don't seem to help me when my "sculptures" are 6mm tall.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
Yesterday the people i was playing kill team against pulled off an incredible clutch move, they used their grot grapple hook to grapple to the very far end of a long hallway to an objective computer console at the very end of the final turning point the fuckers won by one point.

I am so butthurt lol

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

That’s awesome lol

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad
Got my enforcers a web gun. Feels, kinda bullshit, if I'm honest. One guy is playing Ogryns, and it means that if I can get within 12" of any of his team with two of my guys, only needing to roll a single dice, on a 4+ his guy goes ooo.

GET ARRESTED FOOLS.

I mean, I'm just a hard, hard counter to him. It seems almost silly.

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?

Virtual Russian posted:

Any tips for getting decent photos of 10mm or 6mm minis with a phone? I want to show some stuff off, but don't have quick access to my dslr, how are y'all doing photos? I've seen some great photos of small stuff in here, I'm sure people have a quick way to do this with a phone camera.

I have a full photo set up for my art, but those skills plus equipment don't seem to help me when my "sculptures" are 6mm tall.

Depends alot on your phone's camera unfortunately. My pixel 6 has terrible edge focus and my old pixel 4 took better photos of 10mm minis

Use Open Camera or a camera app with a pro mode that gives you some manual control. Back up to get better focus.

Tiny minis are just plain harder to photograph, especially when you want photos of whole units or dioramas. Do you have access to Photoshop? It makes focus stacking a breeze so you can alot more stuff in focus

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008

SirFozzie posted:

Cyanide realizes that the playerbase is just not going to accept the mega-cash grab and if they have any chance to save BB3's release bump, they need to do something drastic:

(All non-legendary skins will be unlimited use on unlock, Blood Pass Season 1 (and its new team) free.)

https://steamcommunity.com/app/1016950/eventcomments/3784750482954331371?snr=1_2108_9__2107&ctp=2

But isn't it riddled with bugs as well? I didn't think MTs were the only problem

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Al-Saqr posted:

Yesterday the people i was playing kill team against pulled off an incredible clutch move, they used their grot grapple hook to grapple to the very far end of a long hallway to an objective computer console at the very end of the final turning point the fuckers won by one point.

I am so butthurt lol

Mork (or possibly Gork) would be proud, that’s some brutal kunnin’ right there.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

!Klams posted:

Got my enforcers a web gun. Feels, kinda bullshit, if I'm honest. One guy is playing Ogryns, and it means that if I can get within 12" of any of his team with two of my guys, only needing to roll a single dice, on a 4+ his guy goes ooo.

GET ARRESTED FOOLS.

I mean, I'm just a hard, hard counter to him. It seems almost silly.

Web and Toxin are on the one hand very OP, but on the other hand are what keep high wound / toughness models from steamrolling you.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Yvonmukluk posted:

Mork (or possibly Gork) would be proud, that’s some brutal kunnin’ right there.

You shouldve seen my face when they pulled that trick, it was literally accross the entire board, because the doors were open and it had line of sight. holy poo poo.

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!

smug jeebus posted:

But isn't it riddled with bugs as well? I didn't think MTs were the only problem

It's... a lot more stable (from what I'm reading), the league management tools are coming in a couple weeks (at least some, the rest by Season 1-May) to a web app. They need to figure out the Singleplayer AI, but despite feeling like "no, you don't actually have to hand it to them" considering how botched the release has been, I do have to give it to them, as they've been communicative with concrete changes. Now if I can just get them to improve the singleplayer AI...

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice

Al-Saqr posted:

You shouldve seen my face when they pulled that trick, it was literally accross the entire board, because the doors were open and it had line of sight. holy poo poo.

Hilarious mental image of the grot gritting it's teeth as it gets dragged along the floor and then weakly punches CTRL ALT DEL on the terminal before dying from broken bones and abrasions

Badly Jester
Apr 9, 2010

Bitches!

SirFozzie posted:

It's... a lot more stable (from what I'm reading), the league management tools are coming in a couple weeks (at least some, the rest by Season 1-May) to a web app. They need to figure out the Singleplayer AI, but despite feeling like "no, you don't actually have to hand it to them" considering how botched the release has been, I do have to give it to them, as they've been communicative with concrete changes. Now if I can just get them to improve the singleplayer AI...

I've never had the desire to play BB against AI, but from what I hear, they've managed to make the AI significantly worse than BB2's to the point where it just times out on making some decisions. I realize it's a new engine and thus code base, but the core logic should be the same, no?

The fact that they managed to fix quite a few bugs in MP (some of them show-stopping) about a week after release is nice, but also highlights that the game could've done with another delay.

The worst part of this entire thing so far is that they pissed away a lot of good will and missed a chance to grow the BB player base by releasing in this state. Releasing without league management or the season system in place
makes it feel like early access in everything but name. For what it's worth, I've played about 6-7 MP games so far and haven't encountered a single bug, though.

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?
hex bridge tiles for warmaster

the bridges and roads are from cromarty forge

i'll need to make some updates to warmaster stl page. there's like 3 new dwarf armies coming AND 3 beastmen armies, which is ridiculous

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

Nebalebadingdong posted:

hex bridge tiles for warmaster

the bridges and roads are from cromarty forge

i'll need to make some updates to warmaster stl page. there's like 3 new dwarf armies coming AND 3 beastmen armies, which is ridiculous

Ridiculously good. How did you make the hex tiles themselves? Printed or manually cut out?

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?

a7m2 posted:

Ridiculously good. How did you make the hex tiles themselves? Printed or manually cut out?

I'm printing them in plastic. i started with wooden ones but they all seem to warp eventually

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

Nebalebadingdong posted:

I'm printing them in plastic. i started with wooden ones but they all seem to warp eventually

Do you just print the flat tiles and stick the roads and bridges on them after, or do you merge the STLs together?

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?

a7m2 posted:

Do you just print the flat tiles and stick the roads and bridges on them after, or do you merge the STLs together?

ive merged the stls using Blender. there's a fair amount of modeling involved because the roads/rivers are sunk into the tiles rather than just being on top

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
Just finished painting up 4 unites of Knights of Dol Amroth for Warmaster in Middle Earth. Moving onto some cavalry next.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

New kill team multiplayer rules coming in the next white dwarf!

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2023/03/05/sunday-preview-vashtorr-besieges-the-rock/

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

Nebalebadingdong posted:

ive merged the stls using Blender. there's a fair amount of modeling involved because the roads/rivers are sunk into the tiles rather than just being on top

I'm really interested in trying this myself. I have a little 3D modeling experience. By no means professional level but I think I could probably manage it. What dimensions are you using for your tiles? Would you be willing to share a base tile (no roads or anything, just the base shape)? They seem the perfect size and would save me some time puzzling.

There's no way I can paint them as nice as yours but your posts are making me so motivated to try.

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?

a7m2 posted:

I'm really interested in trying this myself. I have a little 3D modeling experience. By no means professional level but I think I could probably manage it. What dimensions are you using for your tiles? Would you be willing to share a base tile (no roads or anything, just the base shape)? They seem the perfect size and would save me some time puzzling.

There's no way I can paint them as nice as yours but your posts are making me so motivated to try.

of course!

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:5894611

my tiles are 6 inches on the long diagonal. i have no idea if that's the best size but its what i settled on.

one thing that might not be apparent from my pics is that all the tiles raised up on rubber stoppers

there's several reasons for this. the biggest one is that i want to be able to sink the rivers deep in the tiles:

if you're using the cromarty stuff, you have several challenges to overcome. first, neither the rivers nor the roads are the right lengths. you can overlap them to make them longer and use boolean to clip them.

road tile:

the rivers are especially challenging because if you sink them into the tile, you'll need to model a bank. boolean modifiers are your friend, they're how i usually stitch things together. use them to carve space and also make sure random poo poo doesn't poke out.

here's how i modelled the banks. use proportional editing to keep things looking organic!

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
That's awesome! I'm a sucker for hex maps and your tiles look so good

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Time for Ratting

:tipshat:

Dull Fork
Mar 22, 2009

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Time for Ratting

:tipshat:

I eagerly await seeing your roster filled with cheese/rat themed punny names

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

can I glue these various footballs to the bases? not sure what they're for (my friends have the rulebook and that stuff, said just pick a team

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

You need at least one, to keep track of when the football lands on the pitch somewhere. Having a spare or two is a good idea. And, when a mini has the ball, you are often gonna just like put the ball on the mini's base if it'll fit there. But if you have multiple teams you're eventually gonna have too many random footballs and you can use them for decoration if you want!

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
Each football must be individualized or else

Robert Facepalmer
Jan 10, 2019

GreenBuckanneer posted:

can I glue these various footballs to the bases? not sure what they're for (my friends have the rulebook and that stuff, said just pick a team

Depending on how into it you get, that might not be the best idea. Though the league closest to me insists on positional colors so maybe you can find more chill opponents.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Leperflesh posted:

You need at least one, to keep track of when the football lands on the pitch somewhere. Having a spare or two is a good idea. And, when a mini has the ball, you are often gonna just like put the ball on the mini's base if it'll fit there. But if you have multiple teams you're eventually gonna have too many random footballs and you can use them for decoration if you want!

well the skaven box comes with four footballs with pegs that go into these bases, and two footballs that are just spiky and don't have that. I assume that the ones without pegs are the ones that get moved around the field a lot and the pegged ones are just decorative but I wasn't sure.

Someone on reddit suggested they used old milk jug rings to surround the model with the ball

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Robert Facepalmer posted:

Though the league closest to me insists on positional colors so maybe you can find more chill opponents.

That is objectively a good thing though. When you play a game with another person communication is a big part. I've played against enough teams (GW and 3rd party) where telling positionals apart by model alone is tough.

As for the balls. A lot of people use ball tokens as they're easier to see and deal with than a tiny ball on the base. Poker chips work perfectly.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
You put one of the pegged balls on the base of whoever has the ball.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Anarcho-Commissar posted:

You put one of the pegged balls on the base of whoever has the ball.

That makes sense if you don't base them

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN

GreenBuckanneer posted:

That makes sense if you don't base them

pegging balls is based

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I think I want to go with a pink color scheme (or other bright color), so now I have to figure out if I have the right paints for that :shepface:

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I think I want to go with a pink color scheme (or other bright color), so now I have to figure out if I have the right paints for that :shepface:

The new Doomfire Magenta is fantastic for making something violently pink.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Floppychop posted:

The new Doomfire Magenta is fantastic for making something violently pink.

That looks almost what the thought was in my head. I don't have that, was hoping to go with pro acryl (though I guess I could do a zenethal and use Purple Alchemy Speed Paint...)

This might make me consider buying GSW dipping inks, tbh

jarofpiss
May 16, 2009

i want to run a solo warhammer quest campaign and can't decide which one to play.

anyone played the cursed city expansions? i've painted them up but haven't beat the main campaign yet. would probably skip some of the interim grind missions and just wrap it up with the remaining decapitation ones before starting.

also have all of the blackstone fortress to play through. beat the main campaign with friends and we started the expansion where you have to find the shrines, but we're doing frosthaven now and probably won't pick BSF back up for a while. i have the full terrain set 3d printed and a fair amount of the fan expansions printed up. that might be fun to do

never beat silver tower but i'm not really happy with the paintjobs and i think you have to use an app to play that solo. can't rem,ember.

could always do a whq 95 campaign which is the best of all of them but i've played a bunch. i have most of the littlemonk expansion materials printed into books and it's just a really solid fun campaign.

idk im leaning toward BSF since i'm kind of digging the rogue trader/space hulk aesthetic with the new into the dark kill team stuff. seems like this thread is mostly KT or the occasional blood bowl. does anyone here have any interest in warhammer quest?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I don't want to sound condescending at all but you know you can mix red and white and get pink right? All the paint companies want to sell you 1000 tiny pots of paint but you can totally get like 10 base colors and then mix most of what you want. If you want to get a consistent shade across a bunch of minis over a longer period of time you can use an empty pot to mix up a specific color to use.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Leperflesh posted:

I don't want to sound condescending at all but you know you can mix red and white and get pink right? All the paint companies want to sell you 1000 tiny pots of paint but you can totally get like 10 base colors and then mix most of what you want. If you want to get a consistent shade across a bunch of minis over a longer period of time you can use an empty pot to mix up a specific color to use.

It's not so simple because mixing white and black into other colours changes the saturation as well.

Paint pigments don't actually combine like coloured light. You can't get certain shades just by doing kindergarten level paint mixing. A purple paint with a purple pigment will look different to one made of a combination of red and blue pigments. That's why pigments are expensive.