Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KiddieGrinder
Nov 15, 2005

HELP ME
I doubt he hyped them at all. I think video game journalism was still in its infancy, and there was no internet, so not many podiums to preach his garbage.

edit: They're not as old as I thought. But still we're talking '94 and '97, still pretty old. I didn't have access to the internet till about then, let alone browsing video game BBS'.

Oh and I bet that early in his career he didn't think of himself as the messiah of game developers.

KiddieGrinder fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Feb 19, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

KiddieGrinder posted:

I doubt he hyped them at all. I think video game journalism was still in its infancy, and there was nolittle internet, so not many podiums to preach his garbage.

Oh and I bet that early in his career he didn't think of himself as the messiah of game developers.

It wasn't the loving stone age. There were multiple magazines for every format from at least the 32bit era, and you definitely had (in the UK at least) multi-format magazine like CVG, Gamesmaster, etc from the 16bit gen and much earlier. Not to mention long-running PC magazines like PC World (since the 1980s) and PC Gamer since the early 90's.

That said I don't ever remember reading interviews with Molyneux directly. You'd know a Bullfrog game was linked with Molyneux, and he was definitely a name. I only remember his bullshitting starting with Black & White personally.

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

Pondex posted:

Now I'm kind of curious about how he hyped those games that were actually good, back in the day.
What did he promise Magic Carpet and Dungeon Keeper would do that they didn't?

I don't think they were too bad until Black and White, but with 20/20 hindsight (and not being 16 or whatever I was back then), Black and White's promises were ridiculously over top even by todays standards.

The creature was supposed to have some crazy fancy learning AI that gave it it's own personality, in reality you could just teach it to not poop on houses by slapping it around and bit, or show it how to throw rocks. Other than that it didn't really learn or do anything.

I also remember the gesture system being pretty hit or miss.

Pondex
Jul 8, 2014

KiddieGrinder posted:

That said I don't ever remember reading interviews with Molyneux directly. You'd know a Bullfrog game was linked with Molyneux, and he was definitely a name. I only remember his bullshitting starting with Black & White personally.

Black & White was also the first game from Lionhead, so it makes sense that he would hype that extra hard.

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

Pondex posted:

Now I'm kind of curious about how he hyped those games that were actually good, back in the day.
http://syndicate.lubiki.pl/siteinfo/bullfrog_interview_molyneux_1996.php

Peter Molyneux in 1996 posted:

Q: When it does happen, what is the potential for online gaming?

Neil Armstrong once said that people expect too much in a year and not enough in ten years. That really applies to internet gaming. In ten years it's going to be amazing. Everyone wants it now, but it's not going to happen.

I don't think people realise quite what internet gaming is going to be like. It's not going to be like network gaming where you know all the people in your office and you all have a game of Duke Nukem together. I tried playing an internet game called Air Warrior, which is a multiplayer flight simulator. It was the most boring experience I've ever had. I went into it and there were people in there who had been flying around for years, and they just shot me down in two minutes. There's no fun in that. Games will have to be specifically designed with the internet in mind and the games will have to cater to players at different skill levels.

The idea is for Dungeon Keeper to be the first real internet game from Bullfrog. We'll release the offline version in November and six months after that we'll release the internet version which theoretically could support up to 500 players. The big problem is no one's really worked out how to make money out of the internet, but I really want to do an internet game because it's nice to get in there while it's in its early stages.

Q: How do you get 500 people playing one game?

You have to create a world which people can roam around. You'll have your own dungeon but you can also send out creatures who move from one dungeon to another.

Balbanes
May 21, 2007
44z red pots~

Trapezium Dave posted:

You have to create a world which people can roam around. You'll have your own dungeon but you can also send out creatures who move from one dungeon to another.

Queue Clash of Clans & its 500 clones.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Trapezium Dave posted:

We'll release the offline version in November and six months after that we'll release the internet version which theoretically could support up to 500 players.
:wtc:

I didn't expect you to even find a copy of an interview online since the magazines would be old, but that is a loving gem. :allears:

MVP
Nov 1, 2012

by Lowtax
For one Peter Molyneux there are 50 video games journalists getting paid to write absolute garbage and contribute nothing in life except commenting on programming that they're too dumb to learn.

Basically every video game journalist is a less talented Peter Molyneux

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

Pondex posted:

Dungeon Keeper 3. :sigh:

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

If Godus was his dream for years and years why did he up and abandon it when it got rough to start a new project? I just don't understand why anyone would believe half the poo poo he says. He says anything to make himself and his games look good.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Rudager posted:

I don't think they were too bad until Black and White, but with 20/20 hindsight (and not being 16 or whatever I was back then), Black and White's promises were ridiculously over top even by todays standards.

The creature was supposed to have some crazy fancy learning AI that gave it it's own personality, in reality you could just teach it to not poop on houses by slapping it around and bit, or show it how to throw rocks. Other than that it didn't really learn or do anything.

I also remember the gesture system being pretty hit or miss.

Whats funny though is the game series Creatures that I loved as a kid came out long, long before Black & White and actually DID most of the bullshit AI learning stuff that B&W claimed it would do:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Creatures_%28artificial_life_series%29#Creatures

Creatures 1 was released in '96, Black & White was released in 2001.

The "amazing" game design that Peter Molyneux did was pretty much "Hey, Creatures is really cool, lets take Creatures and combine it with Populous in 3D." Except it was shittier than both.

He just keeps retreading what he's already done, because its all he really knows how to do (actually he doesn't even understand those games and its his engineers that sorted it out).
Godus is yet another populous.

:lol: That's gold.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Feb 19, 2015

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
Man, Creatures. I keep trying to play it every few years, but i only manage to screw up two Norns until all they do is cry and gently caress, then the mother dies in childbirth while the father drowns himself in the water and the child starves. GOTY

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

I remember well-loved UK SNES magazine Super Play doing a couple of lengthy features on Syndicate, leading up to its release, but I'm pretty sure they were focussed more on the conversion team, rather than Bullfrog themselves, and Syndicate was a proven commodity by that point. I do remember Peter Molyneux's name (probably the first time I took notice of him as a kid) cropping up almost as often as Bullfrog's though, and almost always in conjunction with Populous and Magic Carpet. Those two in particular were darlings of the UK games press back in the day, since they were a) a world apart from the glut of licensed platformers that made up much of the Amiga/Atari ST's library back then and b) made in the UK, because the games press back then was oddly territorial and borderline xenophobic at times.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Dongattack posted:

Man, Creatures. I keep trying to play it every few years, but i only manage to screw up two Norns until all they do is cry and gently caress, then the mother dies in childbirth while the father drowns himself in the water and the child starves. GOTY

Yeah, it was pretty much The Sims before The Sims. (Locking your sims in a house and watching them burn :stare:)

It was kinda flawed (there's only so much you can do with 90s neural net technology) but it was super crazy original.
More of a virtual ant farm than a game, though.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Trapezium Dave posted:

Peter Molyneux in 1996 posted:
Q: When it does happen, what is the potential for online gaming?

Neil Armstrong once said that people expect too much in a year and not enough in ten years. That really applies to internet gaming. In ten years it's going to be amazing. Everyone wants it now, but it's not going to happen.

In 2006 we had the 360, PS3, and Wii, so he's right about one thing at least.

Yodzilla posted:

Dungeon Keeper 3. :sigh:

Don't worry, it's being made.

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

You can find some really REALLY old Molyneux/Bullfrog interviews thanks to the kind folk at the Amiga Magazine Rack, who have archived drat near every Amiga magazine that was around back in the day. Here's some classic hype for Populous 2:

http://amr.abime.net/amr_popup_picture.php?src=the_one/magscans/one34_1991_07/042.jpg&c=15024&n=1&filesize=363270
http://amr.abime.net/amr_popup_picture.php?src=the_one/magscans/one34_1991_07/043.jpg&c=15024&n=1&filesize=434823
http://amr.abime.net/amr_popup_picture.php?src=the_one/magscans/one34_1991_07/044.jpg&c=15024&n=1&filesize=459137

I like the lines "As soon as we'd finished Populous, I wanted to play Populous 2" and "You can't call anything a sequel unless it's totally rewritten."...Populous 2 was certainly a hit, although I don't think it was totally different from the first game or anything like that. Also worth noting a little tidbit on the game that would become Syndicate on the third page (although you can deduce from this that it was a Sean Cooper-led title, not Molyneux). Also something called "Creation" pops up, which gets more amusing Molyneux crap thrown at it - this one keeps appearing although it never got released and I'm not sure if it was ever more than a tech demo. There's also this from 1989, where Bullfrog hype three games that don't even have names yet:

http://amr.abime.net/amr_popup_picture.php?src=the_one/magscans/one12_1989_09/024.jpg&c=15024&n=1&filesize=313195
http://amr.abime.net/amr_popup_picture.php?src=the_one/magscans/one12_1989_09/025.jpg&c=15024&n=1&filesize=253037
http://amr.abime.net/amr_popup_picture.php?src=the_one/magscans/one12_1989_09/026.jpg&c=15024&n=1&filesize=357358
http://amr.abime.net/amr_popup_picture.php?src=the_one/magscans/one12_1989_09/027.jpg&c=15024&n=1&filesize=325379
http://amr.abime.net/amr_popup_picture.php?src=the_one/magscans/one12_1989_09/028.jpg&c=15024&n=1&filesize=312757

(Worth noting that these games actually did come out. Project W was Powermonger, Project F was Flood, and I think it's safe to say that Project X was Populous 2, going by the first article. Powermonger's the main game described and was certainly a Molyneux title, and nothing there sounds out of place? Certainly the released game made a big deal of the vector-based mapping and how you could use it and all that.)

The "Molyneux Cycle" I think was pretty much always in place - really focusing on the revolutionary features that every game's going to have, directly saying how much better the sequel's going to be than the flawed original, all of that stuff - seems like it worked back then though. Bullfrog and Molyneux were pretty much untouchable in the UK press, and a lot of the games they made were excellent. I don't recall anyone in the UK press having any sort of axe to grind against him - even Amiga Power largely loved their games and if Molyneux had been caught pulling the same poo poo back then, they would have most likely called him out on it. So this is the way things worked before, so why wouldn't it always work? Only somewhere around Fable it started doing more harm than good, and nowadays it's basically Molyneux creating a noose to hang his games with.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

"You have followed an old direct link from somebody else to the Amiga Magazine Rack" :smith:

KiddieGrinder
Nov 15, 2005

HELP ME

Zaphod42 posted:

"You have followed an old direct link from somebody else to the Amiga Magazine Rack" :smith:

Same but if I add &c=21903 to the end instead of &filesize=blahblahblah it works. Could be just me though.

If it doesn't work, just go to their website click on a random magazine cover, and see what it says after .jpg in the url. Copy that and try again.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Honestly at this point we shouldn't care about Molyneux at all anymore on anything. I know websites and poo poo will probably still give him the time of day but he realy hasn't made a good game in years. Fable 2 was the closest he's gotten to an alright game I guess, but even then I didn't buy it (someone lent it to me) because I hated Fable 1.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

KiddieGrinder posted:

Same but if I add &c=21903 to the end instead of &filesize=blahblahblah it works. Could be just me though.

If it doesn't work, just go to their website click on a random magazine cover, and see what it says after .jpg in the url. Copy that and try again.

Must be IP or connection specific, that didn't work for me, but by opening up a random picture and copying the &c=<value> from that page I can use my own c= number to view those links.

Amiga magazine rack must be worried about their bandwidth or something :confused:

Some choice Molyneux quotes in there for sure

quote:

"Well it probably shows that I'm either enthusiastic or very boring, but as soon as we'd finished Populous I wanted to play Populous 2."

Yep. :v:

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Feb 19, 2015

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Mister Macys posted:

Don't worry, it's being made.
Hmmmm, a direct copy of old Dungeon Keeper with indie voice acting is not exactly what I was hoping for when I clicked that link.

The dungeon keeper games were a ton of fun at the time, but I don't think they've aged well in terms of mechanics. I think the same thing repeated with modern graphics and a few different details wouldn't hold my attention. At the very least they could have ditched the antiquated 2d tile floorplan for something more interesting. The light & fluffy monster management of DK plus a slightly more involved terrain / base-builder could be a lot of fun.

If you play War for overworld late at night, does it tell you "It is 2am, go to bed!"?

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002
Peter Molyneux is hype as gently caress, I'll never forget the sweet as poo poo magazine article where he demoed Black and White by dropping a ball that he "made up on the spot" into a village and showed how the game organically developed a sport around the ball due to people randomly running into it and becoming interested and creating their own set of rules and teams and years later they had built a cultural pillar around their version of ur-soccer and etc etc etc.

Turns out it was all hardcoded in and he was just lying out of his rear end the whole time. Man doesn't even give a gently caress.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Klyith posted:

Hmmmm, a direct copy of old Dungeon Keeper with indie voice acting is not exactly what I was hoping for when I clicked that link.

The dungeon keeper games were a ton of fun at the time, but I don't think they've aged well in terms of mechanics. I think the same thing repeated with modern graphics and a few different details wouldn't hold my attention. At the very least they could have ditched the antiquated 2d tile floorplan for something more interesting. The light & fluffy monster management of DK plus a slightly more involved terrain / base-builder could be a lot of fun.

If you play War for overworld late at night, does it tell you "It is 2am, go to bed!"?

They already made that game; its called Evil Genius and it rules.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/3720/ $9.99

Pondex
Jul 8, 2014

Klyith posted:

There's another spiritual successor to DK in the works called Dwelvers. It looks a lot more hands on with how you build your dungeon.

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

At the Heart of the city is an Alien horror, so vile and so powerful that not even death can claim it.

Klyith posted:

It's the original DK narrator. :ssh:

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
Peter has pulled this webcam business before; luckily for me Google remembers because I certainly wasn't saving any of this poo poo.

Office used to be a bit bigger....

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
:wtc:

Cephalocidal
Dec 23, 2005

Klyith posted:

Here, try this one instead. http://store.steampowered.com/app/276870/

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Pretty sure the first three (2.5?) seasons of Family Guy had been out by then.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.

Klyith posted:

the narrator is the same in war for the overworld and dungeon keeper

the only special thing that I know it has is when you stare at the seductress for too long it asks you what you are doing

Drunk in Space
Dec 1, 2009
Actually I remember Dungeon Keeper being regarded as a pretty big disappointment with some when it came out, because a number of people were expecting a sort of competitive D&D-like experience with one group of players controlling the heroes and the dungeon keeper of course controlling the monsters, traps etc and trying to kill them - kind of like what the online modules for Neverwinter Nights became, I guess. I don't remember if Molyneux actually promised that's what the game was meant to be, although I do remember both he and various British gaming mags talking it up a fair bit in previews.

At any rate, I personally enjoyed the game for what it was. Little things like taking control of a fly and seeing through its compound vision seemed really neat to my teenage mind at the time, and picking up peons and slapping them about - all good stuff.

I also liked various other old Bullfrog titles, especially Syndicate (my first CD game), Magic Carpet and Theme Park/Hospital, but I honestly don't know how directly involved Molyneux was in actually making any of them.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?

Internet Kraken posted:

So what's "The Trail" game I've seen mentioned a few times? Is Peter already moving onto a new and exciting project to ruin?

Real hurthling! posted:

its his getaway route with the godus money

The Trail is an exciting, all-new experience that aims to ask players the question: What kind of person are you, and how far will you go to help others?

Hi, I'm Peter Molyneux. I know you're every bit as excited as me to hear about this new project. My team is hard at work, weaving together an astonishing tale of oppression, abuse and unrelenting, savage attacks on an innocent little boy's hopes and dreams by foul monsters who wish only to see his creative side crushed... but there can be a happy ending. You, the player, can save this little boy. You can help him escape this terror in a new and unprecedented interactive gaming experience which will take advantage of every single one of your senses.

In this never-before-seen emotional rollercoaster, players are tasked with clearing out several acres of terrifying forest in order to construct a sanctuary for this unfortunate little boy. Upon funding this project, my team will create what we're calling Trail Mix Kits, a wonderful, high-tech virtual reality visor that will offer you a glimpse into a world unlike any other, that responds realistically in real time to your every action.

While my previous games have taken players to unforgettable fantasy environments, such as Albion, The Trail takes a different approach and aims to give players an utterly realistic experience. You might not even realise that you're in a game! It's so detailed that your real life inventory will even transfer over into the gameworld. You'll receive a set of co-ordinates and will set off on an incredible journey all over the globe to meet in "The Trail Communal Building Experience", a multiplayer experience that really brings players together.

Much like Minecraft and other games of their ilk, this game is a creative masterpiece allowing you to create anything you like, though your ultimate aim is to create a vast, unassailable sanctuary for this little boy. Players who craft the most wonderful fortresses, traps and facilities will be known as Trail Guides and will be tasked with the running and upkeep of this wonderful fortress of theirs.

Our software is in early stages of development, and sound bugs do exist. If you try to communicate with other players, please be aware that it may sound like they're speaking back or trying to communicate - our software is so advanced it can come up with limitless dynamic conversations - but it may experience an occasional technical hiccup that makes the players sound as if they're pleading for their lives or telling you to run.

Don't be worried! This is just our new emotive engine we've labeled TrAIl, which takes cues from a player's neurological background history and dynamically integrates it into the world. Some players may be neurotic or have a checkered past which the game is translating into the occasional shriek of terror or hilarious instance when they tell you that everything is a lie! We're working on ironing out these bugs by adding in moderators from our own team to ensure the TrAIl behaves at all times. For now, please use the simple gesture system to make an "OK" sign with your hand if you wish to chat with other players.

I'm certain The Trail is going to bring players together in ways the gaming industry never considered possible. What glorious new world awaits this poor boy? Only you decide, dear player. Visit my Kickstarter soon for more backing information.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Songbearer posted:

Visit my Kickstarter soon for more backing information.
I take it that's the one part where he's not lying.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
According to the latest Jimquistition pod cast, any Godus backers who email asking for a refund get an offer instead for a free tour of the office.
No mention of hotel and travel costs naturally.

http://www.thejimquisition.com/2015/02/podquisition-episode-13-early-access-marriage-proposal/

Around the 12-14 min mark.

KiddieGrinder
Nov 15, 2005

HELP ME

Songbearer posted:

The Trail is an exciting, all-new experience that aims to ask players the question: What kind of person are you, and how far will you go to help others?

:golfclap:

happyhippy posted:

any Godus backers who email asking for a refund get an offer instead for a free tour of the office.

Well that would totally make me change my mind, hearing his bullshit in person instead of online. :jerkbag:

KiddieGrinder fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Feb 20, 2015

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Kyrosiris posted:

So that whole bit about how he offered to livestream everyone so people could see that they were really working, yes sir!!!

Looks like he actually fulfilled that promise. :psyduck:

Hi, I'm Peter Molyneux, and my latest project is a study in just how loving bored I can make five people at once.

Christ, look how done those poor bastards are. Don't know how long this has been going on for, but I know it's too long.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Mister Adequate posted:

Hi, I'm Peter Molyneux, and my latest project is a study in just how loving bored I can make five people at once.

Christ, look how done those poor bastards are. Don't know how long this has been going on for, but I know it's too long.

And don't forget being the team who has to implement PM's rapidly changing and unrealistic goals means that they've all been on crunch time for like... their entire job at 22cans.

Those guys are probably all exhausted :smith:

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow
At least they get to be indie! Just like Mojang!

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

Mister Adequate posted:

christ look at this oval office sitting all pigeon toed with his hands folded in his lap. he looks like a pathetic child.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

Oberleutnant posted:

christ look at this oval office sitting all pigeon toed with his hands folded in his lap. he looks like a pathetic child.

christ look at that hunk standing all v-necked up with his butt sticking out. he looks like my next mistake.

• Locked thread