Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gram-O-Phone
Mar 9, 2007

Oh, play that thing!

Shanty posted:

Alexander Armstrong can present every quiz show until the end of time as far as I'm concerned so no, I guess not!

Armstrong does lend the show a certain dignity which not even Mickey Flanagan or a man pushing a button with his bottom could entirely eradicate.

I love Pointless too, the concept of the show is pretty good in itself and the amusing rapport between Alexander and Richard lifts it above the usual early afternoon TV fare.

Gram-O-Phone fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Sep 3, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leovinus
Apr 28, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Buzzcocks picked back up a bit again when they went to guest hosts. I really couldn't stand Amstell, he just didn't fit the show at all and constantly felt like he was trying too hard to crack jokes and fit in. They still get a bunch of duff episodes because the show has lovely writers, like David O'Doherty doing that stupid loving Shakira thing for an episode, but when the writers step back and let the guests make the show funny, it works, like Jack Dee hosting the Jedward episode, or Frankie Boyle doing anything.

Gram-O-Phone posted:

Armstrong does lend the show a certain dignity which not even Mickey Flanagan or a man pushing a button with his bottom could entirely eradicate.

Christ almighty. Will someone loving shoot Micky Flanagan already? What is it about the right-hand side of the Mock The Week set that everyone who sits there is poo poo?

Leovinus fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Sep 3, 2011

Steve Higginson
Oct 21, 2005
NO NO NO we do not have images of fat guys sucking each others dicks in our custom titles!

Leovinus posted:

Buzzcocks picked back up a bit again when they went to guest hosts. I really couldn't stand Amstell, he just didn't fit the show at all and constantly felt like he was trying too hard to crack jokes and fit in. They still get a bunch of duff episodes because the show has lovely writers, like David O'Doherty doing that stupid loving Shakira thing for an episode, but when the writers step back and let the guests make the show funny, it works, like Jack Dee hosting the Jedward episode, or Frankie Boyle doing anything.

Christ almighty. Will someone loving shoot Micky Flanagan already? What is it about the right-hand side of the Mock The Week set that everyone who sits there is poo poo?

He's got a song about that. I can't remember if it was in the show or not. The footage he did for the clip show that season was pretty good though.

atomic gog
Apr 11, 2005

Winner June 2013 POTM
Just watched the last 10 minutes of Red or Black, and it's bloody awful. Around 7 minutes of sob stories by some contestants and now Leona Lewis singing a song. She's going to pick a briefcase at random, the inside will either be red or black.

Noreaus
May 22, 2008

HEY, WHAT'S HAPPENING? :)
I just tuned in to Red or Black, and it's so awful I just...I just don't know.

Why does this exist.

Why.

Why.

NEXT ON ITV CRAIG CHARLES FLIPS A COIN, 6 MILLION PEOPLE TUNE IN AND PLAY AT HOME.

Leovinus
Apr 28, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Seriously, Red Or Black is the hugest pile of poo poo.

Some Strange Flea
Apr 9, 2010

AAA
Pillbug
Watching RoB on +1.

We're actually getting behind-the-scenes personal stories from the massive mob and from the two motorbike riders.

This is really overproduced jesus christ.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Argh my parents are making me watch Red or Black. I hate this show so loving much. So loving much.

Some Strange Flea
Apr 9, 2010

AAA
Pillbug
Oh my god someone won and they started an upbeat pop song.

This is literally You Bet meets X Factor in the worst possible way.

atomic gog
Apr 11, 2005

Winner June 2013 POTM
It's beyond parody. "More people picking RED at home, which is interesting."

Some Strange Flea
Apr 9, 2010

AAA
Pillbug

Atomic Dog posted:

It's beyond parody. "More people picking RED at home, which is interesting."
Nicked that from Million Pound Drop.

Fake Edit: Holy poo poo round 2 is just a straight up raffle.

THE HOFF.

----

Real edit: Super dramatic jack-in-the-box cranking.

Some Strange Flea fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Sep 3, 2011

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
It's like they carefully remove any slight possibility for skill from it. Why why why

Some Strange Flea
Apr 9, 2010

AAA
Pillbug
I compared this show to You Bet based on the motorcycle stunt but none of these other games are even remotely exciting.

Dramatic getting-into-a-car-and-seeing-if-it-starts. High stakes gift box unwrapping! :tviv:

And now we're in the studio introducing the final 8. Genuinely surprised they didn't get E4 voiceover guy to do it.

Ant and Dec are playing up the "you've been playing perfectly" angle so much that you could convince me that this is Derren Brown's The System v2.

BeeZee142
Sep 26, 2007
New season of Outnumbered last night! Hooray!

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
I blame Deal or No Deal.

Some Strange Flea
Apr 9, 2010

AAA
Pillbug
If someone said to me, "Flea, say you want to mix up 24 briefcases such that no-one would be aware of their contents. How would you do it?" I don't think "fully choreographed dance routine" would be near the top of the list.

Muppetjedi
Mar 17, 2010
Wikipedia:

quote:

Red or Black?is a British television game show to be broadcast on ITV. Developed by Simon Cowell, it is the most expensive game show ever, with a £15 million budget.

Which explains everything about RorB?

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

Fangz posted:

It's like they carefully remove any slight possibility for skill from it. Why why why
Because ITV know their audience. Morons. Morons get confused easily and turn over.

Onion Vanguard
Jun 11, 2010

Breathe in. Breathe out.
This woman on this Red and Black crap looks like Helena Bonham Carter.

I thought it was her at first.

N3RDSTER
Mar 27, 2010
It's nice that they put on and draw attention to a massive countdown timer until there is actually some content in the show. I'm safe in the knowledge that while I'm out of the room and posting this I won't miss anything.

Some Strange Flea
Apr 9, 2010

AAA
Pillbug

N3RDSTER posted:

It's nice that they put on and draw attention to a massive countdown timer until there is actually some content in the show. I'm safe in the knowledge that while I'm out of the room and posting this I won't miss anything.
Sorry, you missed the DUEL.

Eight pizza slices, four red and four black (sponsored by Domino's). Players alternate picking slices and first person to have all slices of their colour revealed wins.

In other words: Drawn out 50/50 chance.

Here comes the big roulette wheel now...

Gram-O-Phone
Mar 9, 2007

Oh, play that thing!
Well, I'm watching the Million Pound Drop, featuring two of the most stupid people I have ever encountered in the history of gameshows. They didn't know who Prince Charles was, then split their money because they couldn't (be bothered) to think of any American states with a V or a Y in the name. If these cretins get any money at all there will be no justice in the world.
E: Okay, so he dragged some knowledge of falcons out of nowhere so, okay...
E: And they lost the money, and now I feel bad :(

Gram-O-Phone fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Sep 3, 2011

Onion Vanguard
Jun 11, 2010

Breathe in. Breathe out.
The guy that just won on Red or Black looks like he's going to collapse haha.

DaWolfey
Oct 25, 2003

College Slice
The balance of emotional what-would-this-mean-to-you poo poo vs actual game playing has gone way to far to the emotional side in recent years.

But there was one game show that pushed it to its logical conclusion. The most emotion, the most simplistic game. Ladies and gentlemen Heads or Tails with Justin Lee Collins.

50 minutes of emotion, bringing on different members of the contestants family and friends, each telling us how important it is for them to win with lots of crying.
Then they flip a coin

Jeabus Mahogany
Feb 13, 2011

I'm mad because of a thorn in my impenetrable hide
I thought that link would be to a sketch show parody

I was wrong :negative:

Gram-O-Phone
Mar 9, 2007

Oh, play that thing!

Jeabus Mahogany posted:

I remember watching that show, it was better than it sounded (but not by much).

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

Let's talk about something infinitely classier: The BBC Proms!

Tonight it was Hooray for Hollywood. All the old Irving Berlin classics and MGM musicals, 2 hours of songs guaranteed to make your granny swoon with joy.

And while it's not the sort of thing that's normally my cup of tea, it is worth watching, purely for the sight of the 200 classically trained members of the BBC orchestra tooting away merrily on bright red plastic kazoos for the climactic chorus of "Jolly Holiday" from Mary Poppins.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Leovinus posted:

What is it about the right-hand side of the Mock The Week set that everyone who sits there is poo poo?

David Mitchell and John Oliver both sat on the right. :smith: Pretty sure Linda Smith did too.

Jeabus Mahogany posted:

When has Justin Lee Collins ever been associated with anything funny?

Z-Magic
Feb 19, 2011

They talk about the people and the proletariat, I talk about the suckers and the mugs - it's the same thing. They have their five-year plans, so have I.

BizarroAzrael posted:

When has Justin Lee Collins ever been associated with anything funny?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cieIXdx6N3c#t=8m3s

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

See, I was trying to make a sort of funny, clever point, and I wasn't expecting you to meet that head-on with logic.

Ravel
Dec 23, 2009

There's no story
That Jade Richards girl on X Factor :stare:

incredible bear
Jul 10, 2005

doing the bear maximum
Okay, I haven't watched ITV Singerfinder since Will Young won Pop Idol, but can someone explain to me how someone gets Red Top Front Page famous, brand name famous, so famous that someone can post their name on a Paid Internet Goon Forum and expect people to know who they are just from their opening audition?

Are there like only 3 auditions an episode now, rather than 30+ like Pop Idol used to have? I know they get on stage now just to audition, is that enough to get council estate fame?

What am I missing, why can't I understand these simple people???

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

BeeZee142 posted:

New season of Outnumbered last night! Hooray!

Worth mentioning again. Outnumbered rules, we should talk more about that and less about all this ITV shite.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha

Rarity posted:

Worth mentioning again. Outnumbered rules, we should talk more about that and less about all this ITV shite.

Yeah, why the gently caress are you people watching game shows on ITV? And then getting angry that they are terrible? It's ITV. I don't think I've ever watched anything on ITV in my entire life except maybe the occasional adventure of monsieur Poirot.

Outnumbered was ok, but I kind of think the children are a little old now and not really that funny anymore.

I am being a negative nancy in this post :mad:

There was a great documentary about the Normans on BBC4 last night, check it out. :)

le chat
Jul 24, 2008

by Fistgrrl

Leovinus posted:

Buzzcocks picked back up a bit again when they went to guest hosts. I really couldn't stand Amstell, he just didn't fit the show at all and constantly felt like he was trying too hard to crack jokes and fit in.

Junkenstein posted:

The last few series of Buzzcocks with Lamarr were really bad. It was a good thing he left.

Look how wrong you two are. Lamarr's series got funnier and funnier as he gave up all pretense of giving a poo poo.
And Amstell was a fantastic replacement for Lamarr, of course Amstell fit the show, most of his career has been about mocking celebrities.

Rollie Fingers
Jul 28, 2002

fuf posted:

Outnumbered was ok, but I kind of think the children are a little old now and not really that funny anymore.

Outnumbered is a magnificent show, but I do agree that maybe the children are a little too old now. The two youngest ones are at an age where you don't expect kids to behave like that unless they're mentally retarded. Karen and Ben basically made the show, but it's less cute when you hear kids over 10 coming up with such awkward questions. Hopefully the writers can evolve the show or put an end to it before it starts resembling My Family.

I'll just link to one of my favourite Outnumbered scenes ever: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1UCL2eQwg0c

Z-Magic
Feb 19, 2011

They talk about the people and the proletariat, I talk about the suckers and the mugs - it's the same thing. They have their five-year plans, so have I.

Quanta posted:

Outnumbered is a magnificent show, but I do agree that maybe the children are a little too old now. The two youngest ones are at an age where you don't expect kids to behave like that unless they're mentally retarded. Karen and Ben basically made the show, but it's less cute when you hear kids over 10 coming up with such awkward questions. Hopefully the writers can evolve the show or put an end to it before it starts resembling My Family.

I'll just link to one of my favourite Outnumbered scenes ever: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1UCL2eQwg0c

Am I the only one who can't stand Outnumbered? Whenever the kids start talking it comes across as 'Kids Say the Funniest Things: Middle-Class edition'.

eleven extra elephants
Feb 16, 2007

Menschliches! Allzumenschliches!!
Anyone gonna be watching Appropriate Adult?

sex pervert
Mar 22, 2011

DaWolfey posted:

Ladies and gentlemen Heads or Tails with Justin Lee Collins.

What in the gently caress. It looks like they've tried to do him up a bit for the show without cutting his hair but it's all gone horribly, horribly wrong. It worked when they did the same thing for Vernon Kay when he started doing Family Fortunes but sweet Jesus this dude looks like Anthea Turner on testosterone now :psyduck:

sex pervert fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Sep 4, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wormophile
Jul 22, 2007

me am fun

Z-Magic posted:

Am I the only one who can't stand Outnumbered? Whenever the kids start talking it comes across as 'Kids Say the Funniest Things: Middle-Class edition'.

Nope, poo poo show.