Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The XKCD Larper
Mar 1, 2009

by Lowtax

jokes posted:

I tried Nightly out and being forced to drop a bunch of my extensions honestly is for the best. I also used to have a Stylish skin for the browser as a whole (Firefox Edge) but the new UI is just fine on its own and now I don’t have to deal with the Stylish privacy concerns.

Have you used the containers feature? Ive been wanting something like that for separating sessions between clients

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
Installed 57 beta. It's definitely, obviously faster. I'm missing some favorites extensions but will try to get used to it.

I miss the ability to lock tabs from being closed, from Tab Mix Plus. Hopefully that comes back someday but it seems like the answer for now is "not now".

FoxyGestures seems fine but I can't find, or it doesn't have, rocker gestures in the style of left+right = forward, right+left = back. It's also frustrating when it doesn't work on browser-internal pages, or when a page hasn't loaded yet. This isn't their fault I realize but it's frustrating.

If you're migrating from Stylish to Stylus, make sure to use this export process from stylish BEFORE you update to 57. The temporary extension that you use to export from Stylish will not run on 57, so you'll have re-downgrade to do the export, then upgrade again.
https://add0n.com/stylus.html

After that, Stylus seems fine I guess? I barely use it anymore except for a custom style to make SA a little prettier, and it's doing that fine.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

Lakitu7 posted:

Installed 57 beta. It's definitely, obviously faster. I'm missing some favorites extensions but will try to get used to it.

I miss the ability to lock tabs from being closed, from Tab Mix Plus. Hopefully that comes back someday but it seems like the answer for now is "not now".

FoxyGestures seems fine but I can't find, or it doesn't have, rocker gestures in the style of left+right = forward, right+left = back. It's also frustrating when it doesn't work on browser-internal pages, or when a page hasn't loaded yet. This isn't their fault I realize but it's frustrating.

If you're migrating from Stylish to Stylus, make sure to use this export process from stylish BEFORE you update to 57. The temporary extension that you use to export from Stylish will not run on 57, so you'll have re-downgrade to do the export, then upgrade again.
https://add0n.com/stylus.html

After that, Stylus seems fine I guess? I barely use it anymore except for a custom style to make SA a little prettier, and it's doing that fine.

Try pinning tabs you want left open.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
So I posted some time ago about how Pirate Bay was testing out buttcoin mining and well looks like others are trying to get in on that sweet mining action:

Apparently it has been removed from the UFC website after people on reddit caught them doing it but this only highlights how this poo poo is cancerous and needs to be eliminated fullstop.

No. 9
Feb 8, 2005

by R. Guyovich
There's a No Coin extension or something similarly named that blocks all these.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

No. 9 posted:

There is, and everyone should get it.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Try pinning tabs you want left open.

Pinned tabs are a poor fit for that. It doesn't prevent it from being closed, other than in the most minimal sense of not having a close button. Pinned tabs are per-window, so closing a window will lose those tabs.

With tab groups it was a pretty cool feature -- pinned tabs showed up on all groups, so you could close a group and keep the pinned tabs. And when I used groups I usually only kept 1 firefox window, so there was no chance to accidentally lose them with a window close. Too bad tab groups are going in the trash with everything else!

Boris Galerkin posted:

this poo poo is cancerous and needs to be eliminated fullstop.

I feel this crap will accelerate google's deployment of some minimal ad-blocking to Chrome, particularly mobile.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh

Or just use uBlock.

Read
Dec 21, 2010

No. 9 posted:

Alternatively there is a uBlock₀ filter for this: "uBlock filters – Resource abuse", it's in the first group of filters. It might even be enabled by default? I'm not sure.

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

Boris Galerkin posted:

So I posted some time ago about how Pirate Bay was testing out buttcoin mining and well looks like others are trying to get in on that sweet mining action:

Apparently it has been removed from the UFC website after people on reddit caught them doing it but this only highlights how this poo poo is cancerous and needs to be eliminated fullstop.

why is this not a bigger story, it's basically malware. then again a ton of ads are basically malware i guess

astral
Apr 26, 2004

I hadn't checked in a while so I don't know when it actually happened but it looks like Google Play Music finally supports HTML5 on Firefox - working for me on 52.4.0 ESR. About time!

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747
All right, most of my add-ons have been updated or replaced with a WebExt compatible version, and I've pruned out some that aren't being updated anymore that also weren't really getting much use. Here's what I'm left with:

• CTR: Suck it up until someone figures out another solution to not make Australius rear end, I guess.
  • Flashblock: Stopped updating 2 years ago, would really like a replacement as I like selectively blocking Flash elements on the fly in concert with my AdNauseum/uMatrix/Stylus/Video Blocker combo.
  • Youtube download video extension: I'd like to keep this, but the replacement Firefox suggested looks sketchy as a gently caress from the description and especially review pages.

Any better suggestions?

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Kerning Chameleon posted:

[*]Youtube download video extension: I'd like to keep this, but the replacement Firefox suggested looks sketchy as a gently caress from the description and especially review pages.[/list]

YouTube Video and Audio Downloader (WebEx) works very well and isn't sketchy in the slightest.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

[*]Flashblock: Stopped updating 2 years ago, would really like a replacement as I like selectively blocking Flash elements on the fly in concert with my AdNauseum/uMatrix/Stylus/Video Blocker combo.
Ditch flash entirely, it's scheduled to be deleted from the internet. If you're seeing flash these days it's probably an ad. If you like newgrounds or some other flash games use Edge or Chrome for those particular sites.

quote:

[*]Youtube download video extension: I'd like to keep this, but the replacement Firefox suggested looks sketchy as a gently caress from the description and especially review pages.

"youtube-dl -f bestvideo+140 URL"

Browser-based youtube download extensions are dead, youtube-dl is what you want. Here is a frontend, but if you can figure out some very basic command line use you really don't need it.

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Klyith posted:

Ditch flash entirely, it's scheduled to be deleted from the internet. If you're seeing flash these days it's probably an ad. If you like newgrounds or some other flash games use Edge or Chrome for those particular sites.

Livestream is still clinging to flash, and I like being able to keep the chat blocked. Suppose I'll just use the AdNAuseum element blocker in Chrome to do that, then.

quote:

"youtube-dl -f bestvideo+140 URL"

Browser-based youtube download extensions are dead, youtube-dl is what you want. Here is a frontend, but if you can figure out some very basic command line use you really don't need it.

I'd had some version of youtube-dl installed as part of that Open-With/Youtube-DL/MPV combo that got posted ages back, guess I'll have to figure out how to actually use it.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Klyith posted:

Ditch flash entirely, it's scheduled to be deleted from the internet.

You believe this. :allears:

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
I haven't had flash installed for more than a year now and haven't seen any issues yet.

Read
Dec 21, 2010

fishmech posted:

You believe this. :allears:

I mean if you want to be super literal about it, then I guess not - but I can't remember the last time I was on a webpage that required Flash.

I'd had some version of youtube-dl installed as part of that Open-With/Youtube-DL/MPV combo that got posted ages back, guess I'll have to figure out how to actually use it.

That combo won't work as of FF 57+ unfortunately (well, you need to install a local service that pairs with the extension) but youtube-dl is super simple to use. In most cases (you just want to download the highest quality version of the video at a url) you can just "youtube-dl http://some.url" and it will download to the working directory.

Read fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Nov 12, 2017

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Read posted:

That combo won't work as of FF 57+ unfortunately (well, you need to install a local service that pairs with the extension) but youtube-dl is super simple to use. In most cases (you just want to download the highest quality version of the video at a url) you can just "youtube-dl http://some.url" and it will download to the working directory.

Yeah, I already updated to the WebExt version of OpenWith and took care of that on Windows. Linux I haven't figured out yet, but I only ever use that for checking my financial and secondary email accounts anyway.

As an aside, I can't help but feel forcing extension developers to use local clients to do their thing rather defeats the purpose of these new stricter guidelines, but what do I know.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Read posted:

I mean if you want to be super literal about it, then I guess not - but I can't remember the last time I was on a webpage that required Flash.

For me it was yesterday. Yet another company using some customized terrible thing on their site that required flash in the browser. There's all sorts of dumb line of business sites out there where the mechanisms for uploading a file, say, inexplicably require flash and then the uploading just isn't present if you block it.

All that's happening is that Adobe is just not going to add more features to Flash anymore, it's still going to be hanging around for ages on a ton of stuff, and they're probably going to end up forced into continuing to provide support for the current feature set/security updates for many years beyond the point they announced a few months back.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Several banks' virtual [credit card] account number generators require flash too, unfortunately.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

astral posted:

Several banks' virtual [credit card] account number generators require flash too, unfortunately.

:lol:

These must be the same banks that restrict my password to like 10 charactersletters max.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Read posted:

What are the main things you notice the absence of?

I can't edit my posts, so I had to disable it.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Just updated my extensions and, as part of that, got the new version of Stylish.

And about a dozen of my scripts just vanished :(

Thought I might be able to find where the scripts are stored and recover them.

Nope, Stylish stores everything in a single file. But it does keep the scripts as plain text within that file, so you can theoretically recover them.

But the new version of Stylish overwrote the file and now I only have three scripts left.

EDIT - found a SQLite Manager extension which has let me recover 5 of my 'lost' scripts from a separate profile. The rest are just gone.

Megillah Gorilla fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Nov 14, 2017

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
57 final build it up. This marks the second time this week I've switched browsers.

I do think the gap in the upper left corner of a non-max window is annoying, pushing the tabs to the right a bit, but I'm too lazy to see if something can be done about it. I'd probably have to paste CSS code into a file that would need be replaced with every upgrade.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Craptacular! posted:

57 final build it up. This marks the second time this week I've switched browsers.

I do think the gap in the upper left corner of a non-max window is annoying, pushing the tabs to the right a bit, but I'm too lazy to see if something can be done about it. I'd probably have to paste CSS code into a file that would need be replaced with every upgrade.

It's most likely to give you something to click on to drag the window when you have a window full of tabs. I've enabled the menu bar and it makes that gap go away.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Nalin posted:

It's most likely to give you something to click on to drag the window when you have a window full of tabs. I've enabled the menu bar and it makes that gap go away.

Fair point. It's uncommon for me to have more than three tabs so I didn't think of this.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

Craptacular! posted:

Fair point. It's uncommon for me to have more than three tabs so I didn't think of this.

Bro. Do you even browse bro?

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
So I have been updating my addons in preparation for the move to ff57.

To get mouse gestures to work correctly on linux, I followed the recommendation in the 7 month old bug report and installed easystroke. It hasn't been updated since 2013 and is so obviously a product of the early days of compiz that my system feels totally rad and modern now.

To get "open with" updated to webex it needed me to install an external python script. I feel much saver now.

I got some questions, too.
I use "Context Search" and "Add to Search Bar" a lot. Are there webextensions that allow me to add a new search engine to the context menu? The Context Search author is waiting for an API method before he ports.
And a method to add my own search engine to the list of engines. A casual search seems to imply that the recommended way is to write my own webex for every engine separately.

Also, I sometimes use a addon called "right to click", which overwrites sites that make it impossible to select text on their site. Is there a webex that can do something like this? It is seriously annoying to google.

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

Craptacular! posted:

yeah honestly if you never have more than 3 tabs you're not really the market for obsessive browser css hacks :spergin:

tonberrytoby posted:

So I have been updating my addons in preparation for the move to ff57.

To get mouse gestures to work correctly on linux, I followed the recommendation in the 7 month old bug report and installed easystroke. It hasn't been updated since 2013 and is so obviously a product of the early days of compiz that my system feels totally rad and modern now.

To get "open with" updated to webex it needed me to install an external python script. I feel much saver now.

I got some questions, too.
I use "Context Search" and "Add to Search Bar" a lot. Are there webextensions that allow me to add a new search engine to the context menu? The Context Search author is waiting for an API method before he ports.
And a method to add my own search engine to the list of engines. A casual search seems to imply that the recommended way is to write my own webex for every engine separately.

Also, I sometimes use a addon called "right to click", which overwrites sites that make it impossible to select text on their site. Is there a webex that can do something like this? It is seriously annoying to google.

doesn't disabling javascript on the offending site that prevents selecting text work? how often are you encountering this issue?

Generic Monk fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Nov 14, 2017

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

Generic Monk posted:

doesn't disabling javascript on the offending site that prevents selecting text work? how often are you encountering this issue?
I have the issue fairly rarely, but when it happens it is annoying. Disabling javascript does work on the one website I specifically remembered. But I needed to install a new extension for that, and it needs to reload the website to do its job which is an additional hassle.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

tonberrytoby posted:

Yep. I guess I'm not "Opening With" anymore.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I hate everything about the new Firefox.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
My installation updated to 57. No option for tabs on bottom. Add-ons site doesn't hide incompatible extensions by default. :smithicide:

UserChrome mod got my tabs back below but I had to go through and disable everything else the guy bundled into it and enabled by default. This is a stupid amount of effort for something that should have been a toggle in the options and it's probably going to break in a future update.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

At least someone remade the Classic Theme Restorer so it doesn't look like complete garbage anymore.

I still can't believe they cut the amount of bookmarks you can have on your start page in half, what the loving gently caress?

EDIT: Also you're not allowed to move those bookmarks anymore? Are you kidding me?

Jack Trades fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Nov 14, 2017

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
Oh, that's nice. There was an ESR update that seems to have fixed the weird issue I was having with scripts on some sites.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Jack Trades posted:

Yeah, between no SALR, no mouse gestures, no Tab Mix Plus, and no middle mouse scroll (:confused: how did this break of all things in a version change), this poo poo sucks.

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

Jack Trades posted:

yeah who wants the browser to be faster and more stable, and the ui to not constantly drop frames

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.
Anyone have a replacement for Cookie Keeper?
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/cookiekeeper/
There's a few addons like it, it lets me whitelist specific cookies and delete all the rest.

edit: holy poo poo this tab bar looks like poo poo

that's my windows theme color but is there any way to tone it down on the tab bar? or make the tabs wider? doesn't help

Malloc Voidstar fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Nov 14, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Kyrosiris posted:

Yeah, between no SALR, no mouse gestures, no Tab Mix Plus, and no middle mouse scroll (:confused: how did this break of all things in a version change), this poo poo sucks.

I have turned off auto-updates and will not be updating to 57+ until it is Not poo poo and SALR works with it.