Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
What's the best VR headset that people would currently recommend? Because I'm seriously considering getting in on that silliness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Do you want to spend $$ or $$$$?

Do you care more about the best fidelity and performance or about ease of setup and portability?

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Depending on quality and pizzazz I'd be willing to spend between 300 - 600$. I don't really know much about VR headsets right now, so I'm mostly asking for a good point of comparison, y'know?

VVV It'd be for PC and I already have a 1070ti, so I think I'm set there.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
If you have a PS4, a PSVR is no-brainer, especially if you've never done VR before. It's cheaper than any of the PC kit and easier to set up, but it also has tighter limitations and doesn't look as good (even beyond the degree that PC games normally look better than PS4 games).

If you want PC gear, keep in mind you may have to upgrade your GPU on top of buying the headset itself.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

At that price point, your only real option is a Rift S. The Index is $1k and WMR sucks. Maybe you could wait until the the refreshed Vive comes out for a second option.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Megillah Gorilla posted:

I'm reminded of footage of a military VR game where one guys says, "Hey what happens if I take my headset off and turn it upside down?"

He proceeds to do so and the in-game model just flips its poo poo.

EDIT: Well, that was shockingly easy to find.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8jpPc8hhoWI

Yeah game models do weird things when the headset isn't where it's supposed to be

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a5r-RNb1Cj0&t=605s

The whole video is full of VR shenanigans too.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

KillHour posted:

At that price point, your only real option is a Rift S. The Index is $1k and WMR sucks. Maybe you could wait until the the refreshed Vive comes out for a second option.
Thanks for the breakdown, guess it'll have to wait, then. I didn't quite expect them to be that expensive still, what with how popular VR has gotten recently. I think spending $1k+ on what's really more or less an expensive toy I'd be able to use for only one thing is a bit more than I'm willing to afford right now.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Cardiovorax posted:

Thanks for the breakdown, guess it'll have to wait, then. I didn't quite expect them to be that expensive still, what with how popular VR has gotten recently. I think spending $1k+ on what's really more or less an expensive toy I'd be able to use for only one thing is a bit more than I'm willing to afford right now.

Honestly, PSVR does the job well enough and arguably has the best library. There are usually a couple of deals on too so it's kinda cheap.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

RatHat posted:

Yeah game models do weird things when the headset isn't where it's supposed to be

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a5r-RNb1Cj0&t=605s

The whole video is full of VR shenanigans too.

This is wonderful. Jeff's face reminds me of this glitch in Madden during their Quick Look:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cCkiOEmOdNM&t=180s

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4blYSuGtiTw

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Megillah Gorilla posted:

This video is old, but I just had cause in another thread to remember the guy who went through the VR version of LA Noire acting like the world's biggest jerk, and it still makes me laugh so hard I see spots.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=72VXMjO14oc

EDIT: Also

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rd9Lg-farIw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2-ZYPukwAIU

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Wonder his bowser feels about rusty spoons

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

Krankenstyle posted:

Wonder his bowser feels about rusty spoons

he's just suffering from the side effects of his crystal treatment for his illness

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Malnutrition is scarier than any beastie.
https://twitter.com/HatokTalk/status/1155487182225735685

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

KillHour posted:

Alternatively the Quest is genuinely pretty good. You can stream VR to it through third party applications and it works very well.
I haven't really bothered using my Vive since I got it, because it's so much easier to just flop on the quest and presto, good tracking in my entire apartment, and excellent streaming quality.

(And because of how the Quest handles it's tracking through a separate ASIC from the rest of the system, you still get full 72hz, no delay rotational tracking, even though the actual images from the pc have a ~60ms delay. )

(Desktop VR and ALVR manage streaming to it very well, provided you have a decent wireless, or a dedicated dongle rammed into the desktop/laptop.)

(And then on top of having it as a pc-streaming headset, it's still a standalone device in it's own right.)

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

SubNat posted:

Alternatively the Quest is genuinely pretty good. You can stream VR to it through third party applications and it works very well.
I haven't really bothered using my Vive since I got it, because it's so much easier to just flop on the quest and presto, good tracking in my entire apartment, and excellent streaming quality.
This sounds good and it's certainly still within my price range, thanks for the info. I'll earmark it.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Cardiovorax posted:

This sounds good and it's certainly still within my price range, thanks for the info. I'll earmark it.

Just be aware that this isn't officially supported, depends heavily on you having good wifi infrastructure, and requires sideloading software that may not be supported in the future.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Oookay, that sounds less good. Time to look up some customer reviews.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

SubNat posted:

(And because of how the Quest handles it's tracking through a separate ASIC from the rest of the system, you still get full 72hz, no delay rotational tracking, even though the actual images from the pc have a ~60ms delay. )

(Desktop VR and ALVR manage streaming to it very well, provided you have a decent wireless, or a dedicated dongle rammed into the desktop/laptop.)

(And then on top of having it as a pc-streaming headset, it's still a standalone device in it's own right.)

Got any links with how to set up stuff like that? Didn't know you could stream VR to the Quest, I've only seen you can Chromecast from it. But if it's like that I'd might check it out to finally play some Beat Saber on my own since I've sold my PS VR like a week before they announced the PS4 release.

Ben Carsons Ghost
Oct 27, 2007

Kikas posted:

VR also has the potential for amazing glitches. For example in Arizona Sunshine, the game will scale the player model with your height. However a) the hands will always stay the same size and b) the game has no idea when you're standing.

Therefore, when you stand up the game will stretch your model to fit the new height. This is kinda scary as the game is designed with coop in mind so you can see in on other players (youtuber commentary warning)

Wait a second, what happens if you go up a flight of stairs?

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
https://i.imgur.com/HXLeh65.mp4

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
This happened the other day.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=patLQj0tPhs

Prowess indeed!

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

He threw it before his knee touched the ground. Totally legit. :colbert:

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Does that count as an underhand throw? I mean, given the anatomical circumstanced involved.

ArcMage
Sep 14, 2007

What is this thread?

Ramrod XTreme
Anatomically it's an overhand.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Ah, right, he's still pushing, not pulling.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

No glitch, just excellent passing under pressure: maintained line of sight of his receiver, regained his view after the hit was made, made the throw before his knees hit the deck.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
That's one hell of a pass to make with pure arm strength, no body motion behind it.

Viscous Soda
Apr 24, 2004

I thought the way that the tackling guy somehow doubles his speed was going to be the glitch, then glorious pass happened.

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

This is a prime example of putting the team on your back

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

I had an amusing little glitch in Bloodstained today.

Can you spot where Miriam is?

maswastaken
Nov 12, 2011

IShallRiseAgain posted:

I had an amusing little glitch in Bloodstained today.

Can you spot where Miriam is?
Above the screen? Did you find a space you're supposed to slide through but attempt to sprint through it instead?

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum
Way off in the background between the glass and the right statue?

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Ignimbrite posted:

Way off in the background between the glass and the right statue?

Yep you got it. Somehow the teleport failed, and the model got stuck there. Thankfully re-loading a save fixed it

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Kikas posted:

Got any links with how to set up stuff like that? Didn't know you could stream VR to the Quest, I've only seen you can Chromecast from it. But if it's like that I'd might check it out to finally play some Beat Saber on my own since I've sold my PS VR like a week before they announced the PS4 release.

https://www.vrdesktop.net/ (You buy it's official app, and then use SideQuest to install an official patch. )
+ https://www.androidcentral.com/how-sideload-apps-oculus-quest

(There is a slightly involved setup to allow for android debugging, but it's a one time thing. )
And then you only really need a good wireless network, preferably connected directly to the pc you'll be streaming from. And of course a VR capable pc.

You need to install Sidequest because the moment the guy added VR-streaming, Oculus demanded that he remove it from the app. So whenever it updates you have to use sidequest for 1 minute to add a patch to unblock the feature.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Kinda cheating since the glitches are caused by messing with the game files but whatever

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9z5oCmKUYH4

Do not drive too deeply into water!

Slowflake
Aug 18, 2010

I love games where you can gently caress with text files. Yeah it's not technically a glitch but I feel that kind of stuff is glitchy in spirit. That's the kind of thinking that got us Rust's Ark's infinite poop hose.
E: misremembered

Slowflake has a new favorite as of 23:07 on Aug 24, 2019

Pursued by bees
Jan 1, 2013

heartful of fire
with no one left to tell
I wish you could poo poo down the chimney of the guy who raided you in Rust, but alas. You were probably thinking of Ark and I agree, that kind of editing is really fun.

That kind of editing also gave us the thermonuclear catsplosion in Dwarf Fortress, i.e. making every cat in the map instantly explode in a ball of flame.

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

jonsicoli posted:

I love games where you can gently caress with text files. Yeah it's not technically a glitch but I feel that kind of stuff is glitchy in spirit. That's the kind of thinking that got us Rust's infinite poop hose.

I remember messing with duke3d CON files and changing the third episode's name to "slippery poo"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
I made Red Alert 1's attack dogs to turn into cannon balls when they charged. And riflemen who shot attack dogs from their guns.