Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

That happened because Archie was incompetent and didn't save the original copies of their work for hire contracts. There were still tons of original characters that existed before and after said purge. That's a really bad example, Burk. Like, woefully inaccurate to the situation, and it assumes conditions that may or may not be the case at Boom Studios.

Not to mention, characters that use existing ones as a base still count as new characters, as shown by conflicts over characters like Superboy being treated as legally distinct from Superman, leading to his absence from the comics for a period of time. That sort of thing doesn't make Lord Drakkon or the future Rangers any safer whatsoever.

Burkion posted:

Also, we know that the only powers Zordon had were the ones he had because it was explicitly told to us several times.

and outright contradicted when it was time to introduce new toys.

And that's assuming they necessarily had to have been introduced by Zordon. PR continuity is already loose as gently caress, and was even in the Saban days, so there's plenty of room to introduce like, whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

PMush Perfect posted:

Y'all are a bunch of fuckin nerds.

Yeah, usually I like Burkionposting but a really slavish devotion to MMPR's asspull of continuity is sort of meh. Saban never gave it the kind of effort that Marvel or DC does (and one would argue that continuity is THE problem with those properties anyway) and eventually went with a loosely connected universe of new suits every year anyhow.

This is the part of fandom that gets really mad when SPD re-uses In Space helmets for the A Squad. Zordon is a space wizard and the MMPR story is littered with warning signs asking you not to gaze into the plothole; between that and seasons that are literally in the future and have time travel, you can do basically anything (hey here's rangers in medieval England, we'll just say one of them is an undercover Time Force agent, viola.)

Power Rangers continuity now features a suit that looks weirdly similar to Zeltrax but has no connection whatsoever to Zeltrax. Their ability to care has limits, and you just learn to live with it.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Oct 8, 2017

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
I'm a 30 year old nerd who watched MMPR growing up and as a grown rear end man I get excited when I see MMPR merchandise and am more likely to spend money on it and not in merchandise of any of the other series because I didn't watch those growing up

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

I wanted to be a neo deconstructivist, but Mom wouldn't let me.
Surprised to see the complaining isn't about the male pink ranger tbh

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Rubiks Pubes posted:

Surprised to see the complaining isn't about the male pink ranger tbh
Why would we complain about that? Good for him.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

it's definitely happening in other places

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Calaveron posted:

I'm a 30 year old nerd who watched MMPR growing up and as a grown rear end man I get excited when I see MMPR merchandise and am more likely to spend money on it and not in merchandise of any of the other series because I didn't watch those growing up

Congrats on being a geewunner. The problem is a healthy franchise shouldn't bank around your nostalgia exclusively and we already know this, but since Power Rangers is an eccentric billionaire's quirky hobby and not part of a business that aspires to grow, we're stuck milking Tommy Oliver to your ignorant rear end forever.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
[quote="“Craptacular!”" post="“477163483”"]
Congrats on being a geewunner. The problem is a healthy franchise shouldn’t bank around your nostalgia exclusively and we already know this, but since Power Rangers is an eccentric billionaire’s quirky hobby and not part of a business that aspires to grow, we’re stuck milking Tommy Oliver to your ignorant rear end forever.
[/quote]

It's a show for children

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

then why is it becoming increasingly marketed primarily to people in their mid 20's to 30's

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

Craptacular! posted:

Congrats on being a geewunner. The problem is a healthy franchise shouldn't bank around your nostalgia exclusively and we already know this, but since Power Rangers is an eccentric billionaire's quirky hobby and not part of a business that aspires to grow, we're stuck milking Tommy Oliver to your ignorant rear end forever.

Totally uncalled for.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Calaveron posted:

It's a show for children

It sure is, which is why it's weird why Saban is focused so hard on the episodes covered in the thickest layer of 90s ephemera.

I get it from a business sense, because there's a bunch of adults with disposable income who have a guilty pleasure for MMPR, and I remember a bunch of college aged people specifically in 1994 who felt like the second season ended the fun (because they liked the lipsynch errors and embarrassing special effects and poor editing of that first season).

But the reason I linked to this effect for Transformers is they do stuff like Rescue Bots for little kids, the CGI cartoons for older kids, and the IDW comics for older fans all at the same time. Blame Nickelodeon I guess, but the past few years of modern PR content seems to be playing second banana to retro throwbacks to the original five meant to capture that crowd. It's at risk of losing its status as a thing for kids and instead becoming a retro thing for adults who were once kids (think Thundercats) if Saban cared any less than they presently do.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

TFRazorsaw posted:

then why is it becoming increasingly marketed primarily to people in their mid 20's to 30's

Because we are miserable nerds who get a little rush of dopamine every time we spend over $100 to buy a plastic replica toy of Jason the original red ranger's dino power sword that helps us forget our horrible lot in life

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

TFRazorsaw posted:

Because kids media is incresingly niche, doesnt have daily multi-network blocks anymore, and a show that splices japanese kung-fu action and giant monster fighting robots with young-adult dramatics isn't as groundbreaking when they can literally get subbed episodes direct from the land of the rising sun an hour after airing?

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

That still doesn't justify how, like, stuff that actually IS marketed towards children, like say the cheap Imaginext Megazord, is the MMPR Megazord and team and not something children will actually recognize.

Saban and Bandai are increasingly pushing out and leaning more and more on MMPR nostalgia and doing as little as possible to grow the brand or promote the newest incarnations and it's really starting to show how stagnant it's becoming. They'll put more energy into promoting the legacy stuff or even Lord Drakkon in Legacy Wars than the show they're actually producing, and this kind of leading to diminishing returns.

This stuff is becoming "increasingly niche" because it's not being supported and left to die on the vine by multiple factors.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Craptacular! posted:

The issue is that growing their business is predicated on banking around his nostalgia and milking Tommy Oliver/etc in perpetuity. You simply can't draw from the PR series that came from a time when most people think Power Rangers was over.

TFRazorsaw posted:

This discussion started because they aren't marketing to that age, but to the people who grew up with MMPR and aren't going to touch Power Rangers stuff that isn't based in MMPR.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

TFRazorsaw posted:

That still doesn't justify how, like, stuff that actually IS marketed towards children, like say the cheap Imaginext Megazord, is the MMPR Megazord and team and not something children will actually recognize.

Saban and Bandai are increasingly pushing out and leaning more and more on MMPR nostalgia and doing as little as possible to grow the brand or promote the newest incarnations and it's really starting to show how stagnant it's becoming. They'll put more energy into promoting the legacy stuff or even Lord Drakkon in Legacy Wars than the show they're actually producing, and this kind of leading to diminishing returns.

This stuff is becoming "increasingly niche" because it's not being supported and left to die on the vine by multiple factors.

That imaginext megazord isn't marketed towards children, it's marketed towards their parents

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

MisterBibs posted:

This discussion started because they aren't marketing to that age, but to the people who grew up with MMPR and aren't going to touch Power Rangers stuff that isn't based in MMPR.

Yes, I'm fully aware of that. And it's a comic that, while successful, like comics in general, is banking on an increasingly shrinking market of purists who get smaller and smaller year by year.

And introducing more and more of the same probably isn't gonna do it many favors.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Calaveron posted:

That imaginext megazord isn't marketed towards children, it's marketed towards their parents

The toyline is for three year olds.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

TFRazorsaw posted:

The toyline is for three year olds.

Yeah, three year olds aren't gonna care too much about what franchise their plastic toys are from. But it'll make their parents smile to see the kids playing with something they fondly remember from their own childhood.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

JT Smiley posted:

Totally uncalled for.

It wasn't cordial, but people who care more for MMPR and especially the first season over all others is as old as, well, it was almost immediate considering the lasting impact it made on the next few seasons. I don't really think people who are less interested in Ninja Steel than they are Legacy toys is PR's biggest problem, but when discussing "why is this comic afraid to look past this one particular chapter of the franchise" and someone says "because I buy things if it's pandering to my nostalgia", I feel free to comment on the geewun effect.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Oct 8, 2017

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

jivjov posted:

Yeah, three year olds aren't gonna care too much about what franchise their plastic toys are from. But it'll make their parents smile to see the kids playing with something they fondly remember from their own childhood.

Those same parents are the kinds of people who look at modern day toys released in the last year and go "Oh, I totally had that guy as a kid" just because the name that's on the box is the same as a franchise they remember.

They're not as particular as you think.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

TFRazorsaw posted:

Yes, I'm fully aware of that. And it's a comic that, while successful, like comics in general, is banking on an increasingly shrinking market of purists who get smaller and smaller year by year.

And introducing more and more of the same probably isn't gonna do it many favors.

"In general". "Probably".

Tough, bold words for a discussion initiated, again, by a company expanding their business by going back to the only well the franchise has to go back to. There's success going back to MMPR stuff, and there's going out of business.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I mean, it's not like information on how comics are an increasingly shrinking market is hard to find.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
To be honest, comics exactly are the medium in which to market to the increasingly small market of purists. As the industry is unable to find a stable relationship with mass market, non-specialty retail, and prices itself at $3-4 (and now is running comics every two weeks), It's unlikely eight year olds are going to find it.

It's when the $250 collectors Megazord and the $30 super-deformed squat kids figures are both from 1993 that there's a problem.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Oct 8, 2017

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Right. Which is why I don't understand the need to double down even more due to an imaginary fear of costumes for secondary characters that don't have dinosaurs and diamonds on them.

Because this is an audience that has already readily accepted new designs.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
Maybe it's part of the story the author wanted to tell?

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

... yeah? and we're responding to that story.

My problem is with Bibbs' argument, in saying that. I don't think it really justifies anything nor do I think it's what actually led to the decision. All in all, I think it's just a very unoriginal decision.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

TFRazorsaw posted:

Right. Which is why I don't understand the need to double down even more due to an imaginary fear of costumes for secondary characters that don't have dinosaurs and diamonds on them.

Because this is an audience that has already readily accepted new designs.

It's simple: it's Power Rangers, which is MMPR. Sure, they'll go a little bit out of that baseline if they can risk it, but they are sure as hell going back to baseline. And it's not an imaginary fear, everyone knows what happened to the franchise after it got away from those Dinos and Diamonds.

Why do original, when you have what your audience wants already?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Zeo/Ohranger was not a good series for jumping away from the original tradition into, though. "The designs are shapes!" is just about the most boring childish bullshit imaginable for kids who were probably already getting picked on for being "too old" to like Power Rangers.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

I was six when Zeo came out, the only reason kids started to fall off was wresting started to heat up with the NWO and the year after Stone Cold took off. WWF soon took over everything and that started the whole anti hero thing and power rangers really looked lame after that. Then Turbo doubles down and fails. It wasnt age thing but a coolness factor

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

No, no. Bibs is right. Clearly they need more MMPR. Let's have a new group of villains even join in - a third group of Rangers who wear another set of Mighty Morphin outfits. In fact, every character turns into a different variation on the classic Red, Blue, Yellow, Black, and Pink line up too.

Let's take this line of thinking to its natural conclusion. From now on all monsters they fight are just Pudgy Pig and King Sphinx. After all they were the most memorable.

Nodosaur fucked around with this message at 07:20 on Oct 8, 2017

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
I dunno, Zeo is well liked by fandom it seems. To me, new costumes were the best thing to happen in years because they were no longer making their own poor fight scenes. Alien Rangers had lovely storylines but the Kakuranger choreography was so much more athletic than US Zyuranger.

The problem for PR as a long running franchise is that people get old, and the actors are no exception. Batman and Optimus Prime will never die, but JDF now looks ridiculous wearing the same shiny jumpsuit he wore at 20. PR is more like, uh, WWE as odd as that sounds. They need to elevate something or someone. Seems like Bandai thinks Kyuranger will be that answer as far as they're concerned.

I'm not sure they can ever make "a new Tommy" or whatever unless actors can actually move on from season to season, but there's many more years of PR than those first three seasons. Every season is somebody's first. The little kid repeatedly yelling the Mystic Force morph call when I last visited Disney World is probably driving now.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 07:12 on Oct 8, 2017

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

They just need to look at other shows and see what they do to recapture the child market. They're never gonna be as huge as back in the day because it was the first. That's like expecting 50 Cent to go diamond every album release. But they can be the top kids TV show again if they figure out tension and not corny scripts. Kids can see through that stuff now.

Oh and they need Nick to not be loving stupid. These staggered seasons and two half's really kill momentum.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Honestly Saban really needs to ditch Nickelodeon, it's going to kill the franchise eventually otherwise

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

drrockso20 posted:

Honestly Saban really needs to ditch Nickelodeon, it's going to kill the franchise eventually otherwise

Agreed, but where can they go? Disney? Been there done that. Cartoon Network? Done with live action. The only other option is to leave tv and go to Netflix or Hulu or something.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Liar Lyre posted:

The only other option is to leave tv and go to Netflix or Hulu or something.

I guess we won't know for a few more weeks yet, but this path seems to have worked for Miraculous, which is also a superhero toy commercial with reversed gender bias.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Make a toku channel :getin:

(This is a terrible idea, I know)

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Craptacular! posted:

I guess we won't know for a few more weeks yet, but this path seems to have worked for Miraculous, which is also a superhero toy commercial with reversed gender bias.

It got a US broadcast for S1 on Nick. It also still has broadcast rights in other countries for next season so its case really doesn't apply.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Liar Lyre posted:

Agreed, but where can they go? Disney? Been there done that. Cartoon Network? Done with live action. The only other option is to leave tv and go to Netflix or Hulu or something.

Going to Netflix is probably their best bet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Xelkelvos posted:

It got a US broadcast for S1 on Nick. It also still has broadcast rights in other countries for next season so its case really doesn't apply.

I guess that's kind of my point. Nick doesn't just hurt the show in the US, it hurts the show worldwide since my understanding from talking to people on other continents is that it goes on hiatus there, too. Possibly whatever viewers you lose in the US by dropping traditional cable (and come on, really?) you'd gain more abroad.

Although since Saban started filing copyright infringement against anything that even resembles tokusatsu outside of Japan, it's possible that I just don't know what a "Power Rangers" show looks like outside in the rest of the world anymore. Is the adapted show largely for North America and the rest of the world is watching subbed sentai?