Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

TLG James posted:

Is there a more expensive protein than this?

http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/bluestarnutra/isosmooth.html

That's 18 bucks a pound.

Found something: http://proteinfactory.com/product/bio-serum-front/

:captainpop:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BouncingBuckyBalls
Feb 15, 2011

It has to work. At $100 a pound and only five star reviews this has to be the best thing ever invented! /s

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

crumb by crumb in this big black forest

It can be easy to overspend on beauty products, but there are benefits to buying over the base level items (not wrinkle cream or useless stuff). Makeup that stays in place and doesn't irritate or dry out your skin (necessitating more beauty products!), or getting good quality well fitting bras and spending some money on tailoring can make a huge difference in overall appearance, and I think a lot of guys tend to overlook those expenses given how much easier it is for them to 'look good'. Buying only the things you like and use frequently is good with money.

My coworkers and managers encourage the only the young female workers to wear nice clothes (and makeup) all the time, while neither are required by the dress code. I wear a lab coat on top of everything, don't face clients, and I handle large amounts of blood and urine as part of my job. I'm not going to wear an expensive pair of dress pants unless I get paid enough to replace them regularly. As is, I wear clean, well fitting scrubs and that is enough. However, if I were investing in a career at that institution I would have to hop to. Clothes/grooming can absolutely be a necessary expense.

Mocking Bird
Aug 17, 2011
Yeah, I didn't mean too start too much of a defensive argument :shobon: I'm a government social worker in a near-100% female work environment, and part of my job is appearing regularly in court. Men can have one suit, I need to have multiple outfits because our judge is senile and a huge bitch. A coworker of mine got ejected from her courtroom for having damp hair and open toed heels.

I have a couple coworkers who use this as an excuse to shop for designer clothes and wear expensive shoes because the judge does comment favorably on that, but at social worker wages I don't think that's worth it.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

quote:

It’s funny because people think they can build muscle buying a supplement that costs $29.99. Really? You think that you can just buy some junk supplement like Gamma –O and some garbage arginine supplement and its going to pack on muscle? Look, all these supplement stores are in business to make money. Don’t be a fool, it’s the truth. And the only way they make money is to sell you junk, low quality supplements. Slap a fancy label and market it as the best thing ever.

Just look at what we have done in the past. We busted tons of companies selling junk. Have you seen this video yet?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-bDpF8bactY

We totally busted one company claiming to have a 3rd party lab analysis but didn’t.

Or this one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=to7Jv-Dxeiw&list=UUGVE1c1MI8TDDJeXNe-STzA

We are the only company you should buy protein from simply because we are the only company that proves are quality with lab analysis that you can physically see.

Secondly we sell proteins that actually work and Bio-Serum 1 is IT! Like I said don’t surf the internet trying to find this product because you wont. Its too expensive and doesn’t taste like a milkshake for any retail store to carry it.

However, here at ProteinFactory.com® we want to help you grow muscle, have energy, and get big! We strive to bring you the best protein building agents in the world. Bio-Serum 1 is your next muscle building weapon. Get it, use it, and you’ll love it without a doubt. In the past we have literally sold thousands upon thousands of pounds of this protein, and everyday I have customers asking when I am going to carry it again.

Alex,

The lab report is a broken image.

lol

BouncingBuckyBalls posted:

It has to work. At $100 a pound and only five star reviews this has to be the best thing ever invented! /s

And all but one of the 5 star ratings were posted on the same day!

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

TLG James posted:

Is there a more expensive protein than this?

http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/bluestarnutra/isosmooth.html

That's 18 bucks a pound.

Just go to GNC!

Folly
May 26, 2010

Pompous Rhombus posted:

$50 of protein powder (5lbs) lasts me almost 3 months :colbert: I use it as a breakfast replacement so it's actually pretty Good With Money on a cost-per-meal basis.

I gotta object to this part, generally. You may live somewhere with really high food prices, but for most of the US, and probably Canada, protein powder is not a way to save money.

Cooking meat is almost always cheaper. The features of protein powder, like that of all prepared mixes, is that it is easier to store and faster to prepare than other protein sources.

5lbs of protein powder at $50 is roughly $1 per 140 calorie serving with 20g protein. In the US chicken breasts average $2.50 to $3 per lb, beef roast is $4 to $5 per lb (but more protein dense), and pork shoulder is $2.50-$3 per lb depending on the time of year, and large eggs are usually $0.25 a piece. Oh, and raw meat loses about 20% of it's weight when cooked. So based on those prices, your nutritionally equivalent meat servings are:
  • chicken breast for about $0.50
  • beef roast for about $0.60
  • pork shoulder for about $0.50
  • scrambled eggs for about $0.50-$0.75 (2 eggs or 3 eggs - but you get extra fat)
So even if you cut the price in half, you're still only breaking even. And I've tried the $5 per lb protein powder. It made me re-evaluate my life choices.

Protein powder is like any kind of cooking mix or prepared food. It's not meant to save you money. It's meant to save you time at the cost of money. It's a supplement. Only eat it when, for whatever reason, your normal diet for a day can't meet your nutritional needs. Or when the thought of another chicken breast makes you sick. But try to make your normal meals sufficient so that you don't need it every day.

Suspicious Lump
Mar 11, 2004
Thread title lives up to its name for sure.

My housemate is bad with money. Her job ends in 6 weeks and she still hasn't found another one. She went on a 2 week holiday overseas about a month ago and just before that she spent about 1k on getting some art framed. She asked to borrow $20 because she doesn't have any money or some poo poo. She's 36. loving hell you'd think someone nearly 10 years my senior would have their poo poo together. Tangent rant: She wanted me to move out because, her words, "You affect me the most because you're in the house the most" when she didn't like how the house changed from a more happy go lucky to a bunch of professionals with busy lives. She got upset because we saw each other at a local community dinner and I hadn't invited her... nor did you, you loving unstable oval office.

Thank god she is moving out because I hate her guts.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Folly posted:

5lbs of protein powder at $50 is roughly $1 per 140 calorie serving with 20g protein. In the US chicken breasts average $2.50 to $3 per lb, beef roast is $4 to $5 per lb (but more protein dense), and pork shoulder is $2.50-$3 per lb depending on the time of year, and large eggs are usually $0.25 a piece. Oh, and raw meat loses about 20% of it's weight when cooked. So based on those prices, your nutritionally equivalent meat servings are:
  • chicken breast for about $0.50
  • beef roast for about $0.60
  • pork shoulder for about $0.50
  • scrambled eggs for about $0.50-$0.75 (2 eggs or 3 eggs - but you get extra fat)

Your math seems off. ON Whey will give you roughly 14 140-calorie scoops per lb. with roughly 26g protein/scoop, at $5.5/lb. This is $0.40/serving, but it's also ~27% more protein than you've accounted for, so the price reduction takes it to ~$0.30/serving, or a great buy compared to the meat.

Colin Mockery
Jun 24, 2007
Rawr

Yeah it really depends on the brand. Different ones have a different value of grams protein/dollar spent.

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

baquerd posted:

Your math seems off. ON Whey will give you roughly 14 140-calorie scoops per lb. with roughly 26g protein/scoop, at $5.5/lb. This is $0.40/serving, but it's also ~27% more protein than you've accounted for, so the price reduction takes it to ~$0.30/serving, or a great buy compared to the meat.
Where do you find ON Whey for that cheap?

fruition
Feb 1, 2014

Renegret posted:

Primerica can be good with money! If you're a completely insane sociopath who excels at manipulating other people with a complete disregard for other people's lives and well being.

This is exactly right. I have a buddy who's involved with Primerica and he keeps getting in deeper and deeper. It's truly amazing how badly he's drinking the koolaid, he honestly thinks that this is the way to financial stability with infinite income potential: Destroy all personal relationships by treating people who are supposed to be friends and family like nothing more than mark-rear end bitches.

I thought this dude was my friend but he slowly started working the "pitches" into all of our passing conversations, and I get a call from him the other day that started out as "Hey haven't seen you in a while want to get together for drinks to catch up?" and quickly became "Bring a list of friends or family you may know that could use some of OUR services." I loving hate how he always says "OUR" when referring to Primerica's services.

I'm getting drinks with him after all but only because I feel there is a lack of drama in my life at the moment. My plan is to try to make him eventually realize that he is in fact the sucker in all this and that his behavior is predatory. I know he's a good person deep down and that he means well, he's just so desperate that he's willing to believe what Primerica is selling him, it's tragic really.

As an atheist, having deep conversations with prosthelytizing Christians in college and turning their poo poo back on them was one of the highlights of my life...I like to get back in the game every once in a while :)

fruition fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Dec 8, 2014

Centripetal Horse
Nov 22, 2009

Fuck money, get GBS

This could have bought you a half a tank of gas, lmfao -
Love, gromdul

fruition posted:

This is exactly right. I have a buddy who's involved with Primerica and he keeps getting in deeper and deeper. It's truly amazing how badly he's drinking the koolaid, he honestly thinks that this is the way to financial stability with infinite income potential: Destroy all personal relationships by treating people who are supposed to be friends and family like nothing more than mark-rear end bitches.

I had one friend get eyeball-deep in Amway quite a few years ago. He went so far as to travel to Amway conventions on the other side of the country. I have another friend who was recently way into ACN. Both of them did the "we" and "us" poo poo. One thing that was interesting in a detached way was how both of these friends couldn't stop talking about the amazing car [some icon in the local pyramid] drove. After like two years, the ACN friend finally started getting out because the weird group chants reminded him of tent revivals.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

fruition posted:

I thought this dude was my friend but he slowly started working the "pitches" into all of our passing conversations, and I get a call from him the other day that started out as "Hey haven't seen you in a while want to get together for drinks to catch up?" and quickly became "Bring a list of friends or family you may know that could use some of OUR services." I loving hate how he always says "OUR" when referring to Primerica's services.

I'm getting drinks with him after all but only because I feel there is a lack of drama in my life at the moment. My plan is to try to make him eventually realize that he is in fact the sucker in all this and that his behavior is predatory. I know he's a good person deep down and that he means well, he's just so desperate that he's willing to believe what Primerica is selling him, it's tragic really.

As an atheist, having deep conversations with prosthelytizing Christians in college and turning their poo poo back on them was one of the highlights of my life...I like to get back in the game every once in a while :)

One morning on my day off, I was woken up from a call from a friend asking for help with something, but wouldn't give me specific details. I hauled my lazy rear end out of bed and headed and headed over to the address she gave me, and sure enough, when I pulled up I saw a great big Primerica sign hanging in front of the building. I can't say I was surprised, but needless to say I wasn't happy.

I went inside because at that point I felt committed to at least say hi, and was greeted by an old boss of mine who had roped her in. He explained to me that as part of her training, she was...strongly encouraged to introduce friends and family to the organisation and get them interested in the process. She thought I'd be a good candidate because "you like helping people". Where she got that idea I'll never know.

I walked out and haven't talked to either of them since.

A whole web of friends and/or coworkers of them got sucked into Primerica when said ex-boss got poo poo canned from the old job for political reasons, he got involved in Primerica somehow and he suckered them all in. I only managed to stop two people from joining, the rest got sucked in and I never found out what happened to most of them. No doubt they burnt out and left, though I know for a fact two people I knew, unsurprisingly the two most manipulative of the group, rose through the Primerica ranks and are now Regional Leaders (whatever that means). I have no doubt that they're making a fair bit of money, but that's because they're manipulative assholes who don't have any problems walking all over other people. I have them both on Facebook still, and I had to unfollow them because they'll post twice a day about how important financial independence is and join us to learn, blah blah blah, and random bullshit motivational quotes that make me gag.

As far as everyone else goes, I basically had to cut off an entire circle of friends from that fiasco, which is part of the reason I'm so bitter against Primerica in particular. I was getting badgered 2-3 times a day to join in like it was a god drat cult, and after a while I decided enough is enough.

And now that we're on this topic, I just remembered when I got my current job, one of them messaged me on Facebook and tried to sell me their financial services so I could plan for retirement. He opened by asking how I plan on saving for retirement, and I laid the god drat smackdown on him. AND NO I don't need life insurance either, I get that for free through my job. Telling me to match my employer match 401k and open a ROTH isn't very hard thank you very much.

Renegret fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Dec 8, 2014

Folly
May 26, 2010

baquerd posted:

You're right, I screwed up the servings per container. Our differences is in the number of scoops per lb. My bad, I could have sworn it said there was 54 servings in a 5lb container. It's really 74 for $57. Which drops the price per scoop to $0.78 per scoop. Still not as cheap as meat, but much closer.

At $2.50 for 12.9 oz and 9g protein per ounce, you're looking at $0.195 per ounce of chicken and 3 ounces to get the same amount of protein. So that's $0.60 per 27g of protein from chicken breast. (Pork shoulder and loin are usually about 20% cheaper than chicken breast where I live, so it would be $0.50 per equivalent protein.)

Now that's full price. Cheapest sale price I can find for meat is about 30-40% less than that. You seem to have found whey at roughly half the price I've found it. Maybe it is cheaper for you.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Renegret posted:

One morning on my day off, I was woken up from a call from a friend asking for help with something, but wouldn't give me specific details. I hauled my lazy rear end out of bed and headed and headed over to the address she gave me, and sure enough, when I pulled up I saw a great big Primerica sign hanging in front of the building. I can't say I was surprised, but needless to say I wasn't happy.

I went inside because at that point I felt committed to at least say hi, and was greeted by an old boss of mine who had roped her in. He explained to me that as part of her training, she was...strongly encouraged to introduce friends and family to the organisation and get them interested in the process. She thought I'd be a good candidate because "you like helping people". Where she got that idea I'll never know.

I walked out and haven't talked to either of them since.

A whole web of friends and/or coworkers of them got sucked into Primerica when said ex-boss got poo poo canned from the old job for political reasons, he got involved in Primerica somehow and he suckered them all in. I only managed to stop two people from joining, the rest got sucked in and I never found out what happened to most of them. No doubt they burnt out and left, though I know for a fact two people I knew, unsurprisingly the two most manipulative of the group, rose through the Primerica ranks and are now Regional Leaders (whatever that means). I have no doubt that they're making a fair bit of money, but that's because they're manipulative assholes who don't have any problems walking all over other people. I have them both on Facebook still, and I had to unfollow them because they'll post twice a day about how important financial independence is and join us to learn, blah blah blah, and random bullshit motivational quotes that make me gag.

As far as everyone else goes, I basically had to cut off an entire circle of friends from that fiasco, which is part of the reason I'm so bitter against Primerica in particular. I was getting badgered 2-3 times a day to join in like it was a god drat cult, and after a while I decided enough is enough.

And now that we're on this topic, I just remembered when I got my current job, one of them messaged me on Facebook and tried to sell me their financial services so I could plan for retirement. He opened by asking how I plan on saving for retirement, and I laid the god drat smackdown on him. AND NO I don't need life insurance either, I get that for free through my job. Telling me to match my employer match 401k and open a ROTH isn't very hard thank you very much.

Having life insurance just at your job and only your job, and potentially having people count on you in the future is bad with money. Not buying it from primerica is one thing. "Owning " a financial advisor on never needing life insurance is another.

Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

Master of karate and friendship...
for everyone!

Jastiger posted:

Having life insurance just at your job and only your job, and potentially having people count on you in the future is bad with money. Not buying it from primerica is one thing. "Owning " a financial advisor on never needing life insurance is another.

Why is having life insurance through my job bad with money? I have like 5x my yearly income in life insurance through them.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Day Man posted:

Why is having life insurance through my job bad with money? I have like 5x my yearly income in life insurance through them.

You could lose your job, etc etc.

I almost got sold life insurance through that argument. And honestly, if you have kids, a cheap secondary life insurance plan might not be bad to consider. But the other side of the coin is double paying of life insurance. Id rather take the risk, and if I lose my job I'll just accept a slightly higher rate on life insurance then I would have had if I double paid to sign up earlier.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Duckman2008 posted:

I almost got sold life insurance through that argument. And honestly, if you have kids, a cheap secondary life insurance plan might not be bad to consider. But the other side of the coin is double paying of life insurance. Id rather take the risk, and if I lose my job I'll just accept a slightly higher rate on life insurance then I would have had if I double paid to sign up earlier.

But then you'd have a second job and get life insurance there :ssh:

But really it could be a lot higher or just a little higher, depending on your health and age when you lose your job.

It does matter from person to person, but saying "I sure owned THAT guy trying to make me be financially responsible and stuff" is bad with money.

ohgodwhat
Aug 6, 2005

That guy was from Primerica though... he certainly wasn't trying to make anyone be financially responsible....

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Day Man posted:

You gotta diversify your death man

Mantle
May 15, 2004

Duckman2008 posted:

Gotta build that death equity.

District Selectman
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax
Speaking of life insurance, I'll be dead when it's worth anything so gently caress it.

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

fruition posted:

I vote you bring your list of friends and family in a sealed envelope and make sure he doesn't open it until you're gone. When he does, it will actually be
1) printouts of various online articles explaining why Primerica is bad,
2) a $5 bill with an explaination that it's probably more than he's made net since joining the org (when considering training or buy-in, unless they're not like the usual MLM type of business model?)
3) spring snakes, because I think that gag needs revival. Nobody falls for the fake can of nuts when it's obviously not a real brand's label.

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost

Day Man posted:

Yeah, tell me about it. And the typical ~$1 million policy sounds like a lot, but after you consider the fact that it'll probably divided among your wife, your parents, possibly in-laws, and your kids (if you have any) $1 million really isn't that much. Heck, I still feel under-insured despite having two separate policies.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
Why would your parents and in-laws get a life insurance payout from you dying?

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Jastiger posted:

But then you'd have a second job and get life insurance there :ssh:

But really it could be a lot higher or just a little higher, depending on your health and age when you lose your job.

It does matter from person to person, but saying "I sure owned THAT guy trying to make me be financially responsible and stuff" is bad with money.

I'm not taking financial advice from someone who works for an MLM scheme. They prey on people who can't make their minimum credit card payments, what I was getting at was that he wasn't expecting me to be almost debt free at that point and doing perfectly fine.

Renegret fucked around with this message at 12:38 on Dec 8, 2014

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Cicero posted:

This. If you die without a will, your poo poo goes to your spouse, if she's dead your kids, if they're dead their kids. The only time your parents get anything is if you die before getting married and / or having kids, or you specifically bequeath something to them.

Why the gently caress would your parents be your life insurance beneficiaries? (Unless you're single and assigned the benefits to them?)

P.D.B. Fishsticks
Jun 19, 2010

Cicero posted:

I have my parents as beneficiaries primarily because they were cosigners on my $89,000 of student loans. However, I'm down to about $6,000 remaining and thus should have the loan paid off within the next few months (I'm throwing about $1,000 per month at the final remaining student loan, and it's nearly all principal at this point), so I should be able to drop them from the insurance once I'm done.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

Some doozies from reddit today.

Help me weasel out of the $230,000 I (plus dad) owe for my undergrad.

Crowdsourcing Grad school

quote:

Would crowd-sourcing my tuition be an outlandish idea? (ie. If an individual donated 100$ to my tuition, I would provide 100$ worth of free care to them or an undeserved individual once I graduate).

Once I start school, would it be a good idea to buy an apartment and use the student loans to pay the mortgage?

3D printing will destroy property values!

quote:

Based on how rapidly 3d printing has improved in only the last 5 years, I don't think that it's unreasonable to expect that in 15 years, there will be a rapidly growing market of 3d-printing-aided homes and apartments costing significantly less to build than homes do now.

Saros fucked around with this message at 13:25 on Dec 8, 2014

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

I want to print a house :(

http://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/2omdb8/lent_friend_35000_in_hopes_of_making_profit_from/

Lent friend $35,000 in hopes of making profit from his car business but he's basically broke now posted:

Little backstory: friend was wanting to establish a car business (repairing, trading, etc) and somehow it all went wrong and he lost a lot of money.
I lent him $35k in hopes of receiving some exclusive profiting, but it didn't work out.
Now he's not able to pay back the money. Before all of this we wrote a note, stating I lent him 35k, he states that he's legally and morally responsible of paying me back and there is no interest just the equal amount return in this case.
We are going to the bank to write a notary tomorrow so I need some advice on what step to take next and how to collect the money back ASAP.
I'm basically broke too now and I need some guidance...

e:

http://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/2omcru/whats_the_best_way_to_collect_on_money_ive_leant/

What's the best way to collect on money I've leant? posted:

Coming into the holidays I've been paying closer attention the finances and I'm realizing I often lend money I never see again. Not to one person, or only family, but it seems like every time! I'm not making loans per se, more like I'm the one who picks up the birthday gift "from the group" and then I have the hardest time collecting everyone's portion. Or someone will ask me to grab something on my way (like ice on my way to a party) that they will give me cash for when I get there and they never do. From things like this I'm estimating I'm owed about 500... just in the last few weeks! What can I do to stop this? I want to be helpful and kind, but someone just now realizing that that desire is coming with a high price...

I recommend a backbone, OP.

Renegret fucked around with this message at 14:19 on Dec 8, 2014

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

Some kind of working memory would also be helpful. How do you give away more than $500 a month and then forget it every time?

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Jesus wept, $230k for an undergrad degree!? On the other hand he claims to be saving $3k/mo, so must at least be well-compensated.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

He went to Brown apparently. 'Ivy League.' Reading between the lines he expected his father to pay for it all so never cared to try get scholarships or assistance or anything.

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost

Cicero posted:

Because I really like my in-laws. :confused:

And I do support my own parents financially. This might surprise you, but everyone's financial circumstances are different.

Pompous Rhombus posted:

Jesus wept, $230k for an undergrad degree!? On the other hand he claims to be saving $3k/mo, so must at least be well-compensated.
I'm really curious as to what he/she went to school for. Because at that amount, the interest cost would be stupidly-high, even if the rate was "low".

melon cat fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Dec 8, 2014

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Looking for advice. I posted last month about my grandmother dying without enough of an estate for final expenses. I've been the most involved financially with Granny (paying bills, dealing with creditors) so I got stuck with the majority of the cremation and obituary fees. My sister, who lives in another state, promised me a couple of hundred that she could pay in December. Well it's December. Do I remind her or wait and see if she sends the money unannounced?

I could send her some items Granny wanted her to have, maybe a physical copy of the obit, to jog her memory. But I really don't want to be a passive-aggressive rear end in a top hat on this. Then again, I'm pretty sure I'll flip my poo poo if I directly ask her and get a, "weeeell....".

Centripetal Horse
Nov 22, 2009

Fuck money, get GBS

This could have bought you a half a tank of gas, lmfao -
Love, gromdul

Krispy Kareem posted:

Looking for advice. I posted last month about my grandmother dying without enough of an estate for final expenses. I've been the most involved financially with Granny (paying bills, dealing with creditors) so I got stuck with the majority of the cremation and obituary fees. My sister, who lives in another state, promised me a couple of hundred that she could pay in December. Well it's December. Do I remind her or wait and see if she sends the money unannounced?

I could send her some items Granny wanted her to have, maybe a physical copy of the obit, to jog her memory. But I really don't want to be a passive-aggressive rear end in a top hat on this. Then again, I'm pretty sure I'll flip my poo poo if I directly ask her and get a, "weeeell....".

From the little bit you wrote here, it sounds like you knew you were never going to get the money back. So, ask her about it, and keep your cool, because you knew you were never going to get the money back. Alternatively, just let it go, because you always knew you were never going to get the money back.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Saros posted:

He went to Brown apparently. 'Ivy League.' Reading between the lines he expected his father to pay for it all so never cared to try get scholarships or assistance or anything.

Brown's an ivy, gently caress you? :v:

It is really expensive though.

ranbo das
Oct 16, 2013

Krispy Kareem posted:

Just accept that you're not getting the money, then ask her directly. Don't be confrontational, just say hey, remember that money? Any chance you have that for me? She'll probably make an excuse, judging from your post, then just let it go. All the passive-aggressive reminding game does is make you gradually more angry as she doesn't pick up on hints.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

silvergoose posted:

Brown's an ivy, gently caress you? :v:

It is really expensive though.

Haha I have no idea about American universities, is Brown good? Bad? Why is it named after a color? I was assuming the insane cost was because of the Ivy league status.

Saros fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Dec 8, 2014

• Locked thread