Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Tayter Swift posted:

Just picked up a Minilogue last week and love it, that oscillator section is so damned powerful. Now I think I want to sell off my Analog Fou

Ahhh gently caress

Cheapest I've come across is $1k USD fwiw. And it got snapped up fast.

Thanks for the thoughts folks. I think I might strike the DSI/Sequential stuff from the list, as a friend offered me to trade his Mopho Keys for some gear and editing work, and I think that will scratch that itch for me.

Definitely keeping an eye out for a used A4. Is there functionally anything different between the A4 and the Analog Keys? As in, besides some I/O and, y'know, the keys?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

W424
Oct 21, 2010

MockingQuantum posted:

Definitely keeping an eye out for a used A4. Is there functionally anything different between the A4 and the Analog Keys? As in, besides some I/O and, y'know, the keys?

The filter was tweaked for keys, don't know how much of a difference that makes as I only have keys.

FirstPlayer
Jan 1, 2007

Beat me up and earn
fifteen respect points

I've got Peak money burning a hole in my pocket but they won't get more specific than 'May' for release. :saddowns:

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

why is a virus not on that list?

Transistor Rhythm
Feb 16, 2011

If setting the Sustain Level in the ENV to around 7, you can obtain a howling sound.

MockingQuantum posted:

I can't tell if this is intended to be sarcastic, honestly.

I have friends who do essentially field testing for a bunch of companies, Arturia included, and their consensus on it was "It creates some fantastically weird sounds, but I'm not sure what I'd do with it. Also it's huge and some of it feels very cheap."

Not goofing. I had quality time on one at knobcon last year. It's truly designed to be the center of a voltage-controlled studio. I'm not a big fan of the brute series but it's an entire class above the small ones and sounds significantly better.

Transistor Rhythm
Feb 16, 2011

If setting the Sustain Level in the ENV to around 7, you can obtain a howling sound.

So after 2 years, my Cirklon number came up. It'll be here in about a month. I'm really hyped, but honestly, it's going to need to do a lot of work to be better than the Social Entropy Engine! I know it's more flexible and does more, but does it do it as intuitively and quickly?

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!

MockingQuantum posted:

Help me synthgoons, I just got a real adult job that pays more than I have ever made in my life. I want to buy a nice (I hate this term but it fits) "flagship" synth for my studio setup, ideally something that is gonna be a great go-to for a wide range of sounds. I cannot for the life of me decide what it should be though. I can spend maybe a maximum of $2k USD or right around there...

Anybody know of any reasons I should rule out any of the following? I'm looking for something immediate & responsive that is very playable and musical, but that can also extend into batshit-crazy sound territories. I love the sound of all of these so I'm mostly looking for reasons why I might want to narrow down the list by eliminating a few... I've not had the chance to spend more than maybe 10-15 minutes with each of these.

-Moog Sub 37
-Arturia MatrixBrute (already bottom of the list cuz I love how it sounds but it's Arturia and that worries me)
-Elektron Analog Keys
-DSI Pro 2
-Sequential Prophet-6 or Prophet 12 module
-Novation Peak

Any reason I shouldn't be looking at any of those? I can get over the lack of a keyboard for modules, I have a MIDI keyboard I'm very happy with.
if its too much money youre complaining about go eurorack :getin: vidsynth ftw

Gringostar
Nov 12, 2016
Morbid Hound
Thinking about getting a mantis case and putting a system together and I've really liked what I've seen from modulation wise from the harvestman (double andore / zorlon canon specifically) but I don't know about what oscillators to pair with it since I haven't heard anything I liked from the hurtz donut. The piston honda sounds decent but are there any modules similar to it, and if I did go with a piston honda what might be a good small hp osc to pair with it?

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

mrbradlymrmartin posted:

if its too much money youre complaining about go eurorack :getin: vidsynth ftw

I've got a Cell 90 (and Mother 32) that I've pretty much filled up and I love it but it'll take me a while before I'm ready to grow beyond that case. I'm still wrapping my head around what I can do with it. Also as much as I love modular, I get so much more poo poo done with fixed arch synths. Admittedly that may be because I've bee stubborn about not buying a solely-Euro sequencer or ES-3 or anything like that, so I'm stuck with just the sequencer on the Mother.

magiccarpet posted:

why is a virus not on that list?

Dunno, they've never really clicked with me.

Transistor Rhythm posted:

Not goofing. I had quality time on one at knobcon last year. It's truly designed to be the center of a voltage-controlled studio. I'm not a big fan of the brute series but it's an entire class above the small ones and sounds significantly better.

Huh, good to know. I'll see if I can spend some quality time with one. I honestly love the sound demos I've heard, and it's appealing in part because I have that dinky Euro setup that I haven't quite figured out yet, it'd be nice to have that CV control.

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!

MockingQuantum posted:

I've got a Cell 90 (and Mother 32) that I've pretty much filled up and I love it but it'll take me a while before I'm ready to grow beyond that case. I'm still wrapping my head around what I can do with it. Also as much as I love modular, I get so much more poo poo done with fixed arch synths. Admittedly that may be because I've bee stubborn about not buying a solely-Euro sequencer or ES-3 or anything like that, so I'm stuck with just the sequencer on the Mother.

doesnt that one do midi->cv/gate? i thought that was one of its selling points.

be sure to cover the unused jacks with electric tape in the cell!!!!! flying busboards can become frying busboards way too easily if you dont :eng101:

my first case was a cell 90, it was really really the right size, it felt so good to just pick it up and drop it in my lap. but it was just the synth voice, i could wire up a krell and it could play that, but otherwise it was just drones (i *love* drones but still, half the fun of droning on the mono/poly is that i can break it up with a few bars of nice key riffs every now and then, or at least you know, find the right key to drone in) or plug it into something else, and i had to put a delay after it because i couldnt fit one in my case

i went to 6u, i wanted the submodular shadow 6u because it was the thinnest one, but ended up with the elite 208 because it was actually available for sale when :911: gave me some money. wasnt sure if i wanted a sequencer or controller so i went with pressure points, which i liked, so i got another and brains, which ended up not working for me -- 2 pp's is too many knobs to dial in and while brains is cool, it slowed the pp down noticeably when playing by hand.

and since everybody since brian peter george st john de la salle eno to trent reznor went on about the joystick on the vcs3 i got a choices and really like it, even tho i aint quite figured out what the switches do exactly (some kinda ac/dc thing but exactly what :shrug: )

anyway my point is it might not be a fancy sequencer you need. performance controllers are really great and a whole lotta fun, and i think mother gives you the keys to the castle if you use a midi cable as your keyring ;)

e: also mixers are really really crucial. even if you aint into feedback patches (yet) youll be needing to mix sequencer & lfo & envelope for your vcos, vcfs, &c. they always talkin about vcas at muffs but the mixers are the glue in my modular and the heart of every patch i make

for reference

byob historian fucked around with this message at 06:29 on May 13, 2017

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Yeah I forgot about the MIDI in on the Mother. So I'm pretty well set for a while-- at least until I figure out what the heck I can do with my current setup. Now that I have a decent setup, that's definitely the thrill and the terror of having a modular rack-- you have a ton of power at your hands, but when you're new to it it's kind of baffling what you should even try to do with it. Especially with some of the more feature-rich modules. I'm pretty close to just posting my modulargrid link on Muffs and asking "durr what do with this?" for some starter ideas.

On another note, thanks to scholar and gentlegoon Tayter Swift I have an A4 winging its way to me, and my synth search has ended for the time being, let's be honest here. I already want a Peak or MatrixBrute. It never ends. :retrogames:

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
And I just saw a Farfisa in a shop :negative:

Enjoy the A4!

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Ughh my Microbrute has developed an annoying problem. It sounds like the VCA isn't closing down entirely after a gate signal, there's a kind of low-volume note with a sort of phasing to it that you can hear constantly, and it tracks with pitch. Anybody have this happen to theirs? I can't seem to get it to go away so I suspect it must be a hardware problem rather than a patch thing.

I'm not looking forward to dealing with Arturia support... they want all kinds of info and all I want to know is "hey how much will it cost me to fix this?" I'm positive I'm out of warranty, I think I bought mine right around when they were released.

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

Mine's always done that, and I think it's common (to the point where I'm a little surprised you didn't have it before?) Seems tied to the last note you played, I tended to notice it less with low es than high bs. Gain staging, noise gates, and multi-tracking all help.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

JamesKPolk posted:

Mine's always done that, and I think it's common (to the point where I'm a little surprised you didn't have it before?) Seems tied to the last note you played, I tended to notice it less with low es than high bs. Gain staging, noise gates, and multi-tracking all help.

Yeah it definitely wasn't there when I bought it. It's possible it's been there for a while, though, or gotten worse over time. I was working on a patch where I had all the waveforms pretty low, so I had the master volume higher than normal, so I'm sure that's part of why I'm noticing now. I'm guessing it's something I'll just live with since I can't imagine it's going to be cheap to fix.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Mines done that since day 1 -- the VCA doesn't close fully. Maybe add a noise gate after I guess.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Tayter Swift posted:

Mines done that since day 1 -- the VCA doesn't close fully. Maybe add a noise gate after I guess.

Nah I can totally live with it, it's not that loud. I was mostly concerned that it had just started and was going to get worse. It's the sort of thing that's very fixable in a recording if it ever bothers me.

hug a mexican
Jul 8, 2010
in a shocking turn of events a local man's synth makes weird noise, more at 11

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

MockingQuantum posted:

Nah I can totally live with it, it's not that loud. I was mostly concerned that it had just started and was going to get worse. It's the sort of thing that's very fixable in a recording if it ever bothers me.

it sounds to me like some gain staging issues that just became more apparent rather than a new fault, if the word of a stranger far away is anything

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.
Moog announced a "limited edition" update of the Sub 37: https://www.moogmusic.com/news/announcing-subsequent-37-cv

Four assignable CV outs, two gate outs, looks like maybe a bit more drive available on it too. Limited edition, though I'm wondering if there will end up being an unlimited version after that.

Tempting, given I was eyeing a Sub 37 already.

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
I don't have space for physical synths and I only use physical controllers and drum machines. Are there software alternatives I can use for synths and samples?

Also, what are some good sample libraries?

I'm pretty new to all this.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.
What DAW are you currently using? Most of the popular DAWs nowadays come with softsynths and samplers built in. Ableton's "Operator" software synth is pretty great and their native Simpler/Sampler is quite amazing as well. There are also tons of different "plugins" for softsynths and samplers. On the softsynth side, the big ones are Serum, Massive, Sylenth, and Omnisphere (probably missing a couple newer ones). I personally love Serum for the affordability, ease-of-use, quality, and UI. The only issue is that it tends to be a CPU hog. I don't know much about sampler plugins because Ableton's native ones are so good that I don't really have a need.

Sexy Randal
Jul 26, 2006

woah

Uncle Kitchener posted:

I don't have space for physical synths and I only use physical controllers and drum machines. Are there software alternatives I can use for synths and samples?

Also, what are some good sample libraries?

I'm pretty new to all this.

Are you looking for samples for like drums and stuff? I used Splice where you pay like $10/month for 100 sample credits, which is basically 100 samples. I did that for a few months and built up a bigass drum library that I'm happy with. Then I throw those in Ableton's drum rack which is basically a virtual sampler pad thing.

If you want something more drum-machine like this thing is pretty sweet, and there's a free version that I also recommend anyone using ableton in this thread check out: https://gumroad.com/l/earthdrums/

For synths I also recommend Serum. You can do an interest free rent-to-own thing on Splice that's great if you don't want to sink a bunch of money upfront on a plugin. Plus it's a dope synth.

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
I usually use my mate's FL Studio as a DAW, but I usually use OpenMPT as a bootleg sample library and mess around with my synth samples, like basic square and triangles.

I'm trying to figure out whether I should go for FLStudio or Abelton, though what I want to do is less with drum samples and more with general messing about and composition. I'm sort of treating this as my gateway into electronic music for hobby purpose. Right now, I'm leaning towards FLStudio because I'm just more familiar with the workstation, but what are the big pros of Abelton? Easier to work with samples and making tunes?

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

WMD is slowly taking over my case

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.

Uncle Kitchener posted:

I usually use my mate's FL Studio as a DAW, but I usually use OpenMPT as a bootleg sample library and mess around with my synth samples, like basic square and triangles.

I'm trying to figure out whether I should go for FLStudio or Abelton, though what I want to do is less with drum samples and more with general messing about and composition. I'm sort of treating this as my gateway into electronic music for hobby purpose. Right now, I'm leaning towards FLStudio because I'm just more familiar with the workstation, but what are the big pros of Abelton? Easier to work with samples and making tunes?

From all of the research and interviews I have seen, the key feature that made people stick with FL over Ableton is that it is incredibly easy to work with and manipulate audio in FL. I feel that Ableton is a lot more versatile (can be used for live performance) and have also read that people prefer working with the Ableton samplers and MIDI. I'm an Ableton user and absolutely love it, but have only goofed around with FL very briefly. There are also far more resources out there for Ableton (tutorials, project files, presets) because the community is a lot larger. You should be able to download a demo version of Ableton and test it out to see if there are any glaring deficiencies compared to FL.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer
Also Ableton is loving expensive. Compared to, say, Logic, FL Studio, or Reaper the bang-for-buck of Ableton is awful. It's got the best interface for a lot of things but god drat there's a limit to how much I'll pay for that.

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009

magiccarpet posted:

arpitecht?

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Trig Discipline posted:

Also Ableton is loving expensive. Compared to, say, Logic, FL Studio, or Reaper the bang-for-buck of Ableton is awful. It's got the best interface for a lot of things but god drat there's a limit to how much I'll pay for that.

I make do with the lite liscence I got with my midi keys.

And it says something that I never quite have pulled the trigger on upgrading to standard considering it's my goto DAW

edit: I used FL Studio for a long time, but then when I got my midi keys I just stuck with Ableton Lite because it's got the workflow I like for the music I make.

algebra testes fucked around with this message at 02:54 on May 19, 2017

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Trig Discipline posted:

This is true to an extent. It is definitely expensive compared to others but I wouldn't downplay just how much functionality you get from standard and suite. But certainly weigh those additional features against the cost. Personally I am really glad I went with Ableton because I am incorporating it into my DJ set but that isnt a need everyone has.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary
Ableton is probably the best money I've spent on my music. There really is just so much even in the standard package so grab it when they do a sale.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Given that I already have Bitwig, Logic, FL, and Reaper, I don't see myself dropping any money on Ableton any time soon.

e: and Sonar but lol at the idea of ever using Windows for audio again

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

I mean yah, if I already had 4 DAWs, I would be hard-pressed to invest more money into yet another DAW. But as a first DAW, it's a lot less crazy to recommend checking out what Ableton offers over the others to determine if its worth the investment.

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

magiccarpet posted:

i kinda wanna get a synchrodyne cuz it goes to video rates but dang it costs as much as any 2 or 3 modules except my lzx

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

Mr. Glass posted:

arpitecht?

Exactly. My quantimator is now sad.

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009

magiccarpet posted:

Exactly. My quantimator is now sad.

highly recommend getting the triad expander if you don't already have one. with an additional CV sequencer (or a pressure points) it's great for layering chords or drones over whatever you're doing with the arpitecht.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

MrSargent posted:

I mean yah, if I already had 4 DAWs, I would be hard-pressed to invest more money into yet another DAW. But as a first DAW, it's a lot less crazy to recommend checking out what Ableton offers over the others to determine if its worth the investment.

I guess so, and certainly for some types of music it's the industry standard and there must be a reason for that.

Sexy Randal
Jul 26, 2006

woah
Session view is also really good for getting ideas down quickly and also for performance stuff. That's one of the biggest differentiators I know of in Ableton (though NI just announces a similar feature in Maschine a few days ago).

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Bitwig has something very like session view, but it's just not something I ever use. I feel like at some point I should dick around with some more EDMish stuff just to learn the other side of my software setup; I pretty much just do straight linear arrangement of sampled and real instruments 99% of the time.

Bitwig's modulation gizmos are loving fantastic fwiw, I just wish they'd spend a bit of time on core functionality likeBEING ABLE TO USE MULTIPLE TIME SIGNATURES IN A TRACK FOR gently caress SAKE AAAAAAGGGHHHHHH sorry

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

Mr. Glass posted:

highly recommend getting the triad expander if you don't already have one. with an additional CV sequencer (or a pressure points) it's great for layering chords or drones over whatever you're doing with the arpitecht.
its surprisingly priced low enough that the expander is a no-brainer

wmd make really simple leds and i love it