Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lorak
Apr 7, 2009

Well, there goes the Hall of Fame...

Hunter Noventa posted:

25% is probably the highest, which is enough to get 2 ships with the lobi prize.

I've found myself suddenly questioning my initial choice of ship. I was going to get the Vaadwaur Juggernaut, but then I considered getting a nice temporal ship for my temporal operative when that comes along, but the only one that I like to look of has objectively horrible seating because its one of the original Temporal ships and only even has 4 Boff seats.
Arguably, the Vaadwaur Juggernaut is more expensive (EC) than a T6 ship coupon, so I'd argue for the former still, if you have the means to achieve the latter through a trading channel. Not sure what the coupons are going for, but it's less than the Juggernaut for sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I'm similarly undecided now that it's clear that I'll get the meta reward ship before the temporal recruit. If I want to use the meta reward ship for my temporal recruit, then I can't get the Valkis I was planning on and nothing else available amazes me. The Shenshar, perhaps. Or the Krenim dreadnought.

I'm sorry, but I just don't like how the Connie looks, in any flavor in the box.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Lorak posted:

Arguably, the Vaadwaur Juggernaut is more expensive (EC) than a T6 ship coupon, so I'd argue for the former still, if you have the means to achieve the latter through a trading channel. Not sure what the coupons are going for, but it's less than the Juggernaut for sure.

Oh no, the other ship is also a lockbox/promo ship, in this case the Temporal Light Cruiser, which doesn't even show up on the exchange.

Considering i have maybe 200 million between all my alts, and don't play enough to really win big on the exchange, so to speak, it's probably the only promo ship i'll ever see.

Lorak
Apr 7, 2009

Well, there goes the Hall of Fame...

Hunter Noventa posted:

Oh no, the other ship is also a lockbox/promo ship, in this case the Temporal Light Cruiser, which doesn't even show up on the exchange.

Considering i have maybe 200 million between all my alts, and don't play enough to really win big on the exchange, so to speak, it's probably the only promo ship i'll ever see.

Gotcha, sorry, was unclear by what you meant with original Temporal.

Might the Atlas be up your alley?

Teron D Amun
Oct 9, 2010

https://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/11495233-reroll-and-pass-with-dilithium%21

quote:

Previously, players had a chance to earn these resources by engaging with their respective systems, as randomized rewards that were sometimes included with other earnings. This method of earning will be disabled as of the date that the new purchase method goes live.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Lol, nice try I guess but that will do loving nothing to bleed dill out of the system.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Lorak posted:

Gotcha, sorry, was unclear by what you meant with original Temporal.

Might the Atlas be up your alley?

Yeah my bad there. If it was just 'any temporal ship' I've got the Paladin from an old charity bundle.

I know the Atlas is Meta, but if cared about Meta I'd get it, or the two T6 tokens and the Chronos for it's trait.

Screw it, dressup is the real endgame, I can make the Temporal Connie Fun.

That's not going to fix the dil market at all.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

lol for how long that took, that's a joke. Totally useless.

greasythepirate
Aug 13, 2016
https://twitter.com/AmbassadorKael/status/1429921474693844992

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Cyrano4747 posted:

Lol, nice try I guess but that will do loving nothing to bleed dill out of the system.
The real goal is to quietly bleed just a bit more dilithium from F2P players and encourage then to spend cash money on dil. There is zero chance they figured this would be a meaningful reduction in the exchange.

They won't make meaningful changes to the exchange rate because the only things that would matter would hurt their profits (higher chances on lockbox ships and such) and frankly the current maxed exchange rate is nothing but good for them and bad for players. It's a way better "value" to just buy zen for cash money and exchange it for ships/dil/etc and that's just the way they want it.

Antaris
Feb 18, 2011

Also isn't the dil equivalent in Neverwinter at max and has been for years (unless something changed recently)? They never did anything there, so I assume they wouldn't do much here either.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Antaris posted:

Also isn't the dil equivalent in Neverwinter at max and has been for years (unless something changed recently)? They never did anything there, so I assume they wouldn't do much here either.

Neverwinter's fantasy dilithium economy had the everliving gently caress exploited out of it since day 1 because reported bugs in closed testing were never fixed (they tossed out version 0.1 of the two hander warrior about 2 weeks before hard launch, if that gives you any idea - we couldn't even try testing it because the defence stat didn't work at all) and deserved everything that happened to it.

Nothing was fixed there, nothing was fixed here (or will be) and Magic The Gathering: The Fuckening flopped so hard economically they're probably down to near Atari levels of skeletal crewing.

STO will endure though. It always has. Plus it's seen far, far worse times than currently. Overall the modern days for STO are quite dreamy, in comparison.

DancingShade fucked around with this message at 09:31 on Aug 24, 2021

Captain Theron
Mar 22, 2010

Captain Theron posted:

Hey, wondering if I can get an invite to Dental?
Nox@Cpt_Theron#35473

Hey, I asked this a couple pages back but I guess it was missed. I was wondering if I could get an invite?

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

didn't neverwinter have an issue at launch where you could sell things for massive negative dilithium and permanently indebt some useless alt in exchange for your main having unending riches?

greasythepirate
Aug 13, 2016
https://twitter.com/BorticusCryptic/status/1430202854321520644

https://twitter.com/BorticusCryptic/status/1430203116746514442

In other words, the players are just too dumb to get it!

greasythepirate
Aug 13, 2016
https://twitter.com/BorticusCryptic/status/1430204021629808652

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

It's a lovely sink because like...rerolls aren't that needed. I often sit at max rerolls cause I just forget they exist. Taking away the free ones just makes it petty and hilarious.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Eimi posted:

It's a lovely sink because like...rerolls aren't that needed. I often sit at max rerolls cause I just forget they exist. Taking away the free ones just makes it petty and hilarious.

This. Sinks need to be things that people actually want to spend dil on.

g0del
Jan 9, 2001

Fun Shoe

Cythereal posted:

This. Sinks need to be things that people actually want to spend dil on.
And people are always going to be happier about new things that cost dil than about old, previously free things that suddenly cost dil.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Phoenix prize event starting today.

OGS-Remix
Sep 4, 2007

Totally surviving on my own. On LAND!
They should do another dil for vanity shields trade in. That's how you get people to spend dil, adding value not making it a tax to play the game.

I'd reroll or pass occasionally, but now I'll just stop playing for the day instead. v:shobon:v

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
So I noticed the DPS League guide for beams mentions using the Nausicaan Siphon Capacitor for budget disruptor builds, but not either of the other two items. Are they just that meh? I would expect a disruptor torpedo to be at least worth a look, but the only torp mentioned is the one in the Disco rep weapon set (although you can get the beam bank from that in disruptor instead).

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Put lockbox keys in the phoenix packs. I'm going to say tier 4 as a from the hip suggestion, as that's rare enough that they won't be coming out all the time but common enough that people will actually try for it. Congrats, you just created an effective dill sink. Will it hurt sales? Short term probably, because there's a LOT of dill to be bled off right now. Longer term probably not, as the real degenerate gamblers aren't going to want to deal with dill farming to get their fix.

Alternative idea: create a tier 3 phoenix pack super lockbox key with, I dunno, 10x the chance of a good roll. Or hell, just put lockbox keys in all the tiers but make the higher tier ones be packs. Like you get 1 at 4, 10 at 3, 100 at 2, and 1000 at 1. Right now a key is about 10m EC, so figure that would put a tier 1 reward at ~10 billion. Maybe the exact numbers need to be tweaked, but that's at least in the right order of magnitude for what a tier 1 prize should be worth. I dunno, maybe 500 keys. You get the idea.

More ideas:

Put vanity shields in the phoenix boxes. Either T2 or T3 depending on how stingy you want to be.

Stop giving away T6+ tokens in every event and put them in the Phonenix packs. Probably T2.

Put some useful account poo poo in the phoenix packs. I'm thinking the stuff that's part of those "welcome" packs that get given away by Alienware et al a bunch. The crew slots and inventory etc. Toss them wherever seems appropriate, I dunno T3? T4?

I'm sure smarter people than me can come up with better ideas. The point is that their player base loves gambling and they already have dil-based gamble boxes. Lean into that, put some prizes in that people give a poo poo about, and incentivize blowing dill on them.

greasythepirate
Aug 13, 2016
https://twitter.com/BorticusCryptic/status/1430282634068848640

https://twitter.com/BorticusCryptic/status/1430282635801096192

https://twitter.com/BorticusCryptic/status/1430282637151662081

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President

“Delta Rising is the best expansion ever and the players love it.”

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

I don't know if he's being overly sensitive to normal criticism like "your idea is bad and here's why" but I'm also not going to doubt for a second that STO devs don't get some insane poo poo thrown at them from brokebrains who mix the toxicity of the internet with the die hard trekkie's fandom obsessiveness.

If you told me someone mailed a goat's head to Borticus's house because the bussard collectors on the Sovreign class were the wrong shade of red I'd 100% believe that.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Yeah there's this simultaneous mix of the decision making from the dev side being bad, but also the response to basically anything they do from the reddit-side of the internet being loving insane so I'll give them some sympathy regardless. If a dev can't handle the constant oppressive nerd negativity though they really shouldn't be in a customer-facing position though, but y'know, Cryptic has like five staff members left at this point or something.

Mr. Maggy
Aug 17, 2014
yeah it took like 5 seconds of looking at the reddit response to see a deleted post with a reply like "No, it absolutely is NOT the same as rape, what is the matter with you"

RescueFreak
Sep 8, 2013

I got an ultra rare token out of the Phoenix Pack.

Is the Experimental Ship Upgrade Token what I should get?

It says it upgrades the class, does that include the fleet version?

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

It only upgrades the version you put it on. Fleet ships are technically a different class ie the Shepherd vs the Gagarin.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

RescueFreak posted:

I got an ultra rare token out of the Phoenix Pack.

Is the Experimental Ship Upgrade Token what I should get?

It says it upgrades the class, does that include the fleet version?

The token only upgrades exactly what you use it on. A fleet ship is only the fleet ship, cstore is only the cstore. If you plan to use it on your whole account make sure it is something that all your alts can get.

As for what you should use that token on, yeah I think the t6x token is the best thing, unless you have the jem dread and want bugship pets.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Eimi posted:

The token only upgrades exactly what you use it on. A fleet ship is only the fleet ship, cstore is only the cstore. If you plan to use it on your whole account make sure it is something that all your alts can get.

As for what you should use that token on, yeah I think the t6x token is the best thing, unless you have the jem dread and want bugship pets.

Honestly they give away T6 upgrade tokens so often in events that I'd say get one of the ships instead.

I think I've got 7 or 8 of the things sitting unused.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

Asimo posted:

If a dev can't handle the constant oppressive nerd negativity though they really shouldn't be in a customer-facing position though, but y'know, Cryptic has like five staff members left at this point or something.
*watches last week's Cryptic Twitch stream, sees a dev say that they have something like three environmental artists (left) and all three of them are doing whatever the next mission would be instead of, say, bridges*

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

More seriously I think the STO team right now is literally a dozen people, maybe one or two more I'm forgetting. It's frankly amazing that they can do content at all, especially since most of the staff was pulled off to work on MtG.. then immediately fired when that failed badly.

g0del
Jan 9, 2001

Fun Shoe

Cyrano4747 posted:

I don't know if he's being overly sensitive to normal criticism like "your idea is bad and here's why" but I'm also not going to doubt for a second that STO devs don't get some insane poo poo thrown at them from brokebrains who mix the toxicity of the internet with the die hard trekkie's fandom obsessiveness.

If you told me someone mailed a goat's head to Borticus's house because the bussard collectors on the Sovreign class were the wrong shade of red I'd 100% believe that.
A lot of the recentish stuff that's driven the players on Reddit into frothing insanity was entirely predictable, though. Like, people were hyping themselves up about a wonderful legendary KDF ship bundle that would have every single KDF ship anyone had ever liked in it over a year ago. Cryptic should have been letting people know that couldn't happen back then, instead of waiting for everyone to get angry about the actual 11th anniversary bundle before finally admitting that they didn't have the manpower to make another 10 ship legendary bundle.

And the dil sinks. The vanity shields for dil was a new way to get things that players wanted, and making them account-bound was actually more generous than most players expected. Result: happy players who sang the devs' praises on reddit and twitter. On the other hand, this was taking away something that was previously free and making it cost dil. The fact that almost no one really cared about the re-rolls all that much didn't matter, cryptic was taking something away. Result: unhappy players who are sending death threats or something to the devs.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Preechr posted:

“Delta Rising is the best expansion ever and the players love it.”

Still relevant.

Asimo posted:

More seriously I think the STO team right now is literally a dozen people, maybe one or two more I'm forgetting. It's frankly amazing that they can do content at all, especially since most of the staff was pulled off to work on MtG.. then immediately fired when that failed badly.

It's a testament to the power of the star trek license more than the power of STO (or more specifically Cryptic) that it continues to endure.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

g0del posted:

A lot of the recentish stuff that's driven the players on Reddit into frothing insanity was entirely predictable, though. Like, people were hyping themselves up about a wonderful legendary KDF ship bundle that would have every single KDF ship anyone had ever liked in it over a year ago. Cryptic should have been letting people know that couldn't happen back then, instead of waiting for everyone to get angry about the actual 11th anniversary bundle before finally admitting that they didn't have the manpower to make another 10 ship legendary bundle.

And the dil sinks. The vanity shields for dil was a new way to get things that players wanted, and making them account-bound was actually more generous than most players expected. Result: happy players who sang the devs' praises on reddit and twitter. On the other hand, this was taking away something that was previously free and making it cost dil. The fact that almost no one really cared about the re-rolls all that much didn't matter, cryptic was taking something away. Result: unhappy players who are sending death threats or something to the devs.

Sure, but my point is that the player reactions to those own-goals almost certainly range from normal and legitimate criticism on through psychotic behavior. This isn't anything specific to the STO user base, god knows there's enough weirdos online in general, but I'd be a little amazed if STO wasn't extra prone to it just due to the subject matter and the passion of die hard trekkies in general.

That isn't to say that STO isn't mis managed and a lot of what they do isn't idiotic. You're right that they've made a lot of mistakes that they should have seen coming. But I also suspect there's more to them talking about the poo poo they get from users than just hurt feelings over people not liking their work.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Cyrano4747 posted:

Sure, but my point is that the player reactions to those own-goals almost certainly range from normal and legitimate criticism on through psychotic behavior. This isn't anything specific to the STO user base, god knows there's enough weirdos online in general, but I'd be a little amazed if STO wasn't extra prone to it just due to the subject matter and the passion of die hard trekkies in general.

That isn't to say that STO isn't mis managed and a lot of what they do isn't idiotic. You're right that they've made a lot of mistakes that they should have seen coming. But I also suspect there's more to them talking about the poo poo they get from users than just hurt feelings over people not liking their work.

We're talking a userbase that gets mad & writes fifteen page forum posts if the windows on one of the Enterprise models is slightly out of alignment versus what was shown in scene 8 of episode 17 of star trek: the new rerunnering.

The userbase is never happy. Ever.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

so what's the happs with min-efforting through this event? Can you private and just gently caress off after round one or anything?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

g0del
Jan 9, 2001

Fun Shoe

MikeJF posted:

so what's the happs with min-efforting through this event? Can you private and just gently caress off after round one or anything?
Both queues require you to actually kill stuff to advance the rounds until they auto-finish, so no AFKing them. I think the ground one usually goes faster if everyone in the team is actually trying to kill stuff. It's at least not time-gated.