Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Volguus posted:

I live in Canada where our cell plan prices are insane. Highway robbery. So no, I am not using my data plan to watch a movie that I can put on the phone. Doesn't matter how I got that movie, streaming while not on wifi is not an option.

Plex lets you pin/save movies and stuff locally, no internet connection required. Just like Netflix, Prime, etc. No one anywhere expects you to watch a movie streamed over cellular internet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

CLAM DOWN posted:

Plex lets you pin/save movies and stuff locally, no internet connection required. Just like Netflix, Prime, etc. No one anywhere expects you to watch a movie streamed over cellular internet.

Sure. Or you know .. copy them on the phone and never bother with any other service/plex install.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Volguus posted:

Sure. Or you know .. copy them on the phone and never bother with any other service/plex install.

Lol but then you have to plug in and manually sync files and we're back to square one. Plex rules.

BabyFur Denny
Mar 18, 2003

Volguus posted:

you can do that but I don't think you can convince anyone else to follow your archaic ways

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

CLAM DOWN posted:

To be fair, Plex pin is a crap shoot from my experience. Plex amp works well for me, but movies take days, if ever, to sync. But I stopped bothering and maybe it's better.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

deong posted:

To be fair, Plex pin is a crap shoot from my experience. Plex amp works well for me, but movies take days, if ever, to sync. But I stopped bothering and maybe it's better.

Interesting. I do it regularly so I can do stuff like watch a show while I'm doing cardio at the gym, and it's worked without a hitch.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

BabyFur Denny posted:

you can do that but I don't think you can convince anyone else to follow your archaic ways

Not even trying to. Just saying what I do. VLC works amazingly well on android, but hey, you don't have to use it. If you like plex/netflix/whatever and absolutely hate touching a cable with a 10 foot pole, well then, who am I to judge? I'm just a weirdo on a comedy forum (full of very nice and level headed people).

BabyFur Denny
Mar 18, 2003

Volguus posted:

Not even trying to. Just saying what I do. VLC works amazingly well on android, but hey, you don't have to use it. If you like plex/netflix/whatever and absolutely hate touching a cable with a 10 foot pole, well then, who am I to judge? I'm just a weirdo on a comedy forum (full of very nice and level headed people).

Those goalposts moved a lot from "it will be a sad day for everyone"

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

BabyFur Denny posted:

Those goalposts moved a lot from "it will be a sad day for everyone"

Well now, would you mind going back and actually reading what I wrote? Let me repeat it for you: It will be a sad day for everyone when the phone makers will only allow people to develop for their devices via specially made development kits, as it will raise the entry barrier for a developer and basically limit the development of new applications to studios and big corporations. And you, the user, will have to suffer since there will be fewer and shittier applications to choose from. Look at what the mighty Activision+Blizzard are offering today. On mobile. Imagine a world where that's all that will be.

Now, I never said what you should be using. It was simply a reply to the mod of these forums who said that it will be a great day when no device will even have a usb port. At all. (they do have wifi-only development on android, but it sucks donkey balls)

No idea why i bothered to type this, since you didn't read the original post and obviously won't read this either.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

isndl posted:

Today I learned that Google Photos is functionally another instant messaging service where your shared photos are "conversations" and you can also send text messages.

Genuinely may be my most used chat after WhatsApp

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Ah, Google. Got a reminder that it's my dad's birthday. The pop-up asked if this was useful. I clicked "yes". The pop-up said "thanks" and disappeared. Welp, my phone is no longer reminding me that it's my dad's birthday.

I've been leaving those pop-ups sit on my phone until I contact the person and I guess I will have to continue doing that.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Alan_Shore posted:

I didn't buy tons of albums on bandcamp not to listen to them in flac quality!

I do this and download the .zips to my laptop, but I still transfer them to the phone wirelessly. Just drop the folder there and then play back the folder, not too janitor-y to my mind at least. But I should say that in the past tense, because I have an iPhone now. The app has its own download functionality, but it's not FLAC, nor is there any setting to make it FLAC. Perhaps it's coming? Not sure if the Android app has it, but 320 MP3s in a native app/player along with the knowledge that you've personally rescued the good part of the music business is ok for now.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

Uthor posted:

Ah, Google. Got a reminder that it's my dad's birthday. The pop-up asked if this was useful. I clicked "yes". The pop-up said "thanks" and disappeared. Welp, my phone is no longer reminding me that it's my dad's birthday.

I've been leaving those pop-ups sit on my phone until I contact the person and I guess I will have to continue doing that.

did you forget it was your dad’s birthday after google already reminded you it was your dad’s birthday

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

Uthor posted:

Those reminders should also be in your Google Calendar if you use that (there might be a setting to show them or not but I know that's where they show up for me)

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Soul Glo posted:

did you forget it was your dad’s birthday after google already reminded you it was your dad’s birthday

Yes, but you reminded me, thanks!

Dallan Invictus posted:

Those reminders should also be in your Google Calendar if you use that (there might be a setting to show them or not but I know that's where they show up for me)

Yeah, and I see them in the calendar widget. So it's not really a big deal, just a very stupid way of the notification working.

(I use Simple Calendar Widget and am very happy with the plain, text only display if gives me.)

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Uthor posted:

just a very stupid way of the notification working.

I'm sure this is going to end up sparking another 10 page debate, but I don't agree. Notifications are there to notify you of a thing and once you acknowledge said thing, they should go away. They aren't designed to be persistent reminders.

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Dr. Leon Adoso Sumbitches (prounounced soom-'beh-cheh) (born January 21, 1935) is heir to the legendary Adoso family oil fortune.

bull3964 posted:

I'm sure this is going to end up sparking another 10 page debate, but I don't agree. Notifications are there to notify you of a thing and once you acknowledge said thing, they should go away. They aren't designed to be persistent reminders.

Is there a way to pin a notification so it doesn't clear when you clear others? That would be useful.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

No, but you can snooze notifications.

https://www.androidpolice.com/how-to-snooze-notifications-on-your-android-phone/

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

bull3964 posted:

Cool, then make the button say "clear notification" and not "this is useful 👍".

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Uthor posted:

Cool, then make the button say "clear notification" and not "this is useful 👍".

i’m sorry you forgot your dad’s birthday after your phone reminded you it was your dad’s birthday but i don’t think bull actually works for google

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Whelp, OSOM hosed up their phone too. Between that and Nothing, not a great week for phone innovation. Bow down to Samsung, Apple, and Google I guess.

On the subject of Nothing, their 100 unit Stockx drop only garnered 147 bids.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

bull3964 posted:

Whelp, OSOM hosed up their phone too. Between that and Nothing, not a great week for phone innovation. Bow down to Samsung, Apple, and Google I guess.

On the subject of Nothing, their 100 unit Stockx drop only garnered 147 bids.

If Motorola actually supported their phones I'd say they would be in the mix, but their software support is so atrocious I can't consider them a viable option.

My Motorola One 5G Ace, a phone released in January 2021, just got the update to Android 11 this week. And out of the gate the security update is out of date, stuck on March. Motorola claims the phone will get Android 12, too, but all the documentation for the phone also says support ends January 2023.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

sony still makes pho-hey why are you leaving

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Has anyone ever done a battery replacement at one of those aftermarket repair shops?

My Pixel 5 is starting to lose some battery life, and the free market decided new android phones are fuckin huge, so I'm gonna stick with this guy for a couple more years probably.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

phones that size aren't extinct yet, the regular S22 is basically identical for example

https://www.phonearena.com/phones/size/Google-Pixel-5,Samsung-Galaxy-S22/phones/11394,11763

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Yeah the old 5.8” phones are sold at 6.1” now because of bezels, that size is thumping along fine, provided you’re fine with spending two minutes yeeting Samsung apps off your phone when you first set it up (or want to buy an iPhone)

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I am honestly tempted to go from a pixel 4xl to an iPhone mini

Only because the screen is smaller, and I don't know of any decent but smaller phones with android.

I don't have monkey thumbs, and having to engage the other hand and pointer finger instead of stretching with the thumb uncomfortably is annoying

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I am honestly tempted to go from a pixel 4xl to an iPhone mini

Only because the screen is smaller, and I don't know of any decent but smaller phones with android.

I don't have monkey thumbs, and having to engage the other hand and pointer finger instead of stretching with the thumb uncomfortably is annoying

I did this and it's great. OS stuff is some parts better and some parts worse, but the smaller size and a sharp bright screen is great. Don't miss any screen area.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
after going to the verizon store I got the phone from and seeing if they could help me at all(no), then managing to somehow figure out what my mom's gmail account was, I finally rebooted her phone and got through setup again. and it turns out she let google back up everything in the cloud, so everything is still there. she'll have to reorganize all the apps and poo poo she had laid out, but all the texts and media she had on her phone has been restored! and no thanks to verizon at alllllll, they tried to get me to sign up for a backup service for 20 bucks a month when I was trying to troubleshoot getting the phone back up and running!

hooray for google's omniscient control over everything!!!!!

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Captain Invictus posted:

after going to the verizon store I got the phone from and seeing if they could help me at all(no), then managing to somehow figure out what my mom's gmail account was, I finally rebooted her phone and got through setup again. and it turns out she let google back up everything in the cloud, so everything is still there. she'll have to reorganize all the apps and poo poo she had laid out, but all the texts and media she had on her phone has been restored! and no thanks to verizon at alllllll, they tried to get me to sign up for a backup service for 20 bucks a month when I was trying to troubleshoot getting the phone back up and running!

hooray for google's omniscient control over everything!!!!!

I just checked, and I have texts going back to 2017 on my Pixel 6 - I probably opted into Google backup a few phones back. It's both creepy and convenient that my text history follows me around.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
They absolutely have your poo poo regardless of whether you opt in or not so why not just go for it anyways in case of disaster imo

BONESAWWWWWW
Dec 23, 2009

I was given a new (in sealed box) Android phone from my job. This phone is leagues nicer than my phone and I'd like to try using it for both my personal and work lines.
How stupid is this? I know Android has "Work" profiles, would that be an effective separation from whatever they may be able to access on the personal side? My work uses G Suite/whatever it's called now.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

BONESAWWWWWW posted:

I was given a new (in sealed box) Android phone from my job. This phone is leagues nicer than my phone and I'd like to try using it for both my personal and work lines.
How stupid is this? I know Android has "Work" profiles, would that be an effective separation from whatever they may be able to access on the personal side? My work uses G Suite/whatever it's called now.

I don't know - maybe if it could accept an eSIM? Or if it was one of the rare US phones with dual-SIM capability? I haven't looked into it much, as I have an excess of phones, personally.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

BONESAWWWWWW posted:

I stopped carrying a second phone for work about two years ago. I use a Google Voice number for my work number. It's worked fine for me so far.

Viper915
Sep 18, 2005
Pokey Little Puppy

Currently still using a Pixel 3. I wanted up upgrade to a 5a, but missed the boat on the black Friday sale, assuming they'd go back on sale this year, and never saw it happen. I resigned myself to getting a 6a this year (prefer the rear fingerprint reader and headphone jack, but oh well). Google emailed me the other day with a coupon code for $120 off of a Pixel 6. So now it's $480 Pixel 6 vs $450 Pixel 6a that's one year newer... Is it a no brainer to spend the extra $30, or should I just wait for the 6a? I'm obviously not someone who needs the bleeding edge if I'm still using a 3, but this deal is tempting.

Aware
Nov 18, 2003
If it's Samsung and has two SIM cards then it's a pretty good experience and the primary reason I buy Samsung.

My personal SIM is on the eSIM and my work is in the physical slot. Samsung supports running dual messenger apps, one for each SIM so I have two WhatsApp apps for instance, one on each number. I use outlook for work mail and gmail for personal so that works fine and both support multiple accounts anyway.

You can also use SecureFolder to have seperate copies of most other apps like Gallery and whatnot.

Overall they've made it a great experience and I can't recommend it enough vs two phones.

Aware
Nov 18, 2003

BONESAWWWWWW
Dec 23, 2009

Thanks! It is indeed a Samsung. I'll give it a try.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

Viper915 posted:

Currently still using a Pixel 3. I wanted up upgrade to a 5a, but missed the boat on the black Friday sale, assuming they'd go back on sale this year, and never saw it happen. I resigned myself to getting a 6a this year (prefer the rear fingerprint reader and headphone jack, but oh well). Google emailed me the other day with a coupon code for $120 off of a Pixel 6. So now it's $480 Pixel 6 vs $450 Pixel 6a that's one year newer... Is it a no brainer to spend the extra $30, or should I just wait for the 6a? I'm obviously not someone who needs the bleeding edge if I'm still using a 3, but this deal is tempting.

The P6 is by an enormous margin the worst phone I have ever used relative to its era. I would not buy one under any circumstances unless you need an Android phone with a lot of horsepower and you really want to avoid Samsung, and even then I'd say just get the Samsung. The P6A is unquestionably going to inherit a lot of its badness, but it'd be hard for it to be as bad/worse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!

K8.0 posted:

The P6 is by an enormous margin the worst phone I have ever used relative to its era. I would not buy one under any circumstances unless you need an Android phone with a lot of horsepower and you really want to avoid Samsung, and even then I'd say just get the Samsung. The P6A is unquestionably going to inherit a lot of its badness, but it'd be hard for it to be as bad/worse.

Can you elaborate?