Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
Winnipeg does do sidewalk plowing but like all things Winnipeg if it isn't meant to get as many single occupant vehicles from point A to B as possible, it's half assed.

My favorite thing is when they do plow the sidewalks but then they scrape up the windrows and dump the snow at one end, so you get some kilometer long stretch of plowed sidewalk that turns into a dead end.

Some elderly or mobility impared individual is going to die of exposure that way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Winnipeg now contracts out snow removal. It's gotten REALLY bad these past few years. The city doesn't run poo poo and we pay out the nose.

It's not uncommon to have major streets left unplowed in the morning and making things more treacherous. I thank the Dark Lord below for my studded wheels.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes
This is the best one, gently caress suburbs. How are they going to park a boat and an RV?

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe

Vintersorg posted:

Winnipeg now contracts out snow removal. It's gotten REALLY bad these past few years. The city doesn't run poo poo and we pay out the nose.

It's not uncommon to have major streets left unplowed in the morning and making things more treacherous. I thank the Dark Lord below for my studded wheels.

Without 4WD my wife wouldn't be able to work in the winter. Wedging a truck full of tools into a snowbank that used to be on street parking to fix someone's house would be impossible.

I have 2 winter bikes, one with skinny studs and one with 5" wide tires.

My favorite thing is being faster than traffic whenever there's a snow storm.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?

James Baud posted:

Boy, you sure told me, when the posts you're reacting to said:

And

Is English not your first language? That's Hookshot level reading comprehension. You're wholeheartedly agreeing with me, you loving moron.

I'm reacting to your moronic posts that says people don't report rape because they are afraid the punishment won't be enough and there will be vigilantism and oh the horror.

James Baud posted:

Yes, most likely ... what did you think I meant?

Who the gently caress knows, you constantly pump out the shittiest opinions on these forums and frame them as a gotcha to all the fictional, hysterical Liberals that exist in this thread that is the personification of :smuggo:

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes
shattering that left/right spectrum

https://twitter.com/MaximeBernier/status/1047887452902383616

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

EvilJoven posted:

Maybe, just maybe, if they made sure to not vote for a mayor running on a platform of 'gently caress rapid transit and active transportation', they'd get to use their brand new bike lanes and the planned extension of the existing active transportation network in their area to actually go places by bike, rather than being entirely dependent on getting around by car which is the current state of pretty much everything east of Lag because trying to get out of Transcona to the rest of the city is a nightmare of high speed multi lane thoroughfares that are a death trap for bikes and make the transit service slow as all hell.

But nah, they're just going to go 'MAH CAR CULTURE' :bahgawd: because that's how Winnipeggers do.

EDIT: for those of you unfamiliar with Winnipeg but familiar with the GTA, the only feasible way to get out of Transcona by bike includes riding a few KM down Regent St and the city AT map just kind ends all the Transcona routes there. It'd be like directing all bike traffic to Dundas just east of the 403 and then going 'welp, glhf with the rest of your bike ride'.

To be fair AT has gotten a long ways in like 10 years from when it was "just ride on the side of the road and we will tell drivers to try not hitting you" to "fine you keep dying we will build these large sidewalks with the divider line and create separate curbed bike lanes"

Vintersorg posted:

And they hosed it all up by contracting out the snow removal, the worse part is all the guys running the plows now don't give a poo poo and literally destroy all the brand new curbing the city spend the entire summer installing.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

confirmed, libertarians are just conservatives who like weed

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

He's a lolbertarian isn't he? This has always been part of their ethos, coincidentally it's probably also good policy.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

He's going to table an amendment to also remove seatbelt laws next

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis

Postess with the Mostest posted:

This is the best one, gently caress suburbs. How are they going to park a boat and an RV?

There's protest signs asking 'where are we going to park?!?'

In... the... garage?

EvidenceBasedQuack
Aug 15, 2015

A rock has no detectable opinion about gravity

Albino Squirrel posted:

In... the... garage?

No no no. You keep the Sunday car (cars?) In the garage.

Testikles
Feb 22, 2009

Albino Squirrel posted:

In... the... garage?

Ugh! You aren't listening to taxpayers!

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

My favourite Winnipeg Mayoral candidate is the guy who wants to invoice people for getting arrested

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
I still like 'reverse toll road to encourage people to visit the north end' guy.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

You expect me to walk slightly further from my front door and park past the sidewalk? You expect me to not have 2 pick-ups in the driveway, a minivan and sedan in the garage, and a boat I’m going to sell in 2 years? Big government! :argh:

SHAQ4PREZ
Dec 21, 2004

How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Economy Car

Typical Winnipeg Car Owner posted:

"If you're reversing your car, with the limited vision, you might hit someone,"

Ah yes, so limited.

EvilJoven posted:

Mrs Pinder is definitely addicted to her car if she thinks a slab of concrete big enough to park 4 of the loving things is beautiful.

Or she's planning on renting it out and needs all the parking space, look at those newer duplexes on Grassie Blvd. with driveways full of cars and more spilling into the yard.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Is the city EDing their property to build a bike lane or did these tax-paying idiots not know where their property line actually was? poo poo like this comes up all the time in suburbs, where a home owner will just take over private or public property then flip their poo poo when the actual owner comes and nicely tells them they're going to have to stop because they're finally doing something with the land. You had that case in Vancouver where a bunch of rich owners took over a loving railway and then acted oppressed when the railway told them to get their gardens and poo poo off their property because they want to run some trains.

SHAQ4PREZ
Dec 21, 2004

Baronjutter posted:

did these tax-paying idiots not know where their property line actually was?

They payed developers $350k for prebuild duplexes, what do you think?

Edit: I loving love CGI preview pics https://www.buzzbuzzhome.com/ca/starlite-village2

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Baronjutter posted:

Is the city EDing their property to build a bike lane or did these tax-paying idiots not know where their property line actually was? poo poo like this comes up all the time in suburbs, where a home owner will just take over private or public property then flip their poo poo when the actual owner comes and nicely tells them they're going to have to stop because they're finally doing something with the land. You had that case in Vancouver where a bunch of rich owners took over a loving railway and then acted oppressed when the railway told them to get their gardens and poo poo off their property because they want to run some trains.

It seems to be a combination of your typical NIMBY white suburbanites combined with a shithead developer (knowing that he was dealing with NIMBY-ism at its finest) not telling them what was going to happen because it was "public information" (if you went to city hall's 7th basement and got past the leopard)

AegisP
Oct 5, 2008
That does seem like a lot of real estate from where the sidewalk is going to be and where the street begins, at least from how they are around where I am. But we also have sidewalk plows from the city that operate in the winter keeping everything fairly clear.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Baronjutter posted:

To be fair, a bunch of assholes claiming land is theirs simply because they’ve decided it is regardless of who actually owns it is one of the oldest Canadian traditions.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Are they really paying $350K for half a house?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Down the street from me was a fairly narrow more lane-like street lined with huge old mansions. Nearly all of them have those white stakes showing exactly where the property line is, and it's a good 5-6m from the edge of the street. It's a normal city-street wide right of way just with only a narrow paved lane down the middle. With the stakes making the actual property lines very very clear you think there'd be no problem right? I knew someone on that street who bought about 15 years ago and they actually specifically asked the city if it was ok if they planted some flowers and grass up to the edge of the road as it was just a dirt shoulder for the most part, the city clearly told them that was totally fine just don't throw a fuss if one day a sidewalk goes in or something.

Well the city did want to put in a sidewalk, and the street flipped their poo poo. "My garden! My decorative rocks! I just paid to extend my walkway right to the road! I bought on this street specifically for the charming rural style road!"

And of course because the owners are all rich as hell the city relented on the sidewalk, but still dug up half the street to upgrade the pipe which ran exactly where the sidewalk would be. So everyone had their poo poo dug up and destroyed but avoided the indignity of a sidewalk. They all also put big rocks and poo poo right up against the road so people can't park or walk on the shoulder.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
Looks like the initial plan was for both an AT path and a sidewalk with the city ROW ending where they're building the current path, which is now narrower.

The homeowners never owned any of that property so they have no right to bitch and moan.

But they will anyway and tons of people will sympathize with them because cars are comfort blankies for adults that they occasionally use to murder people with impunity.

Baronjutter posted:

Down the street from me was a fairly narrow more lane-like street lined with huge old mansions.

What's the street? It needs to be added to the list of streets at the top of the pillage and raze list for when the revolution comes.

EvilJoven fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Oct 5, 2018

SHAQ4PREZ
Dec 21, 2004

Vintersorg posted:

Are they really paying $350K for half a house?

Yes they did, probably with the expectation that housing prices will only go up (see the quote about values going down because of the sidewalk) so they can eventually work their way up to the suburban dream of owning a McMansion in East or West St. Paul.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
Funnily enough this exact thing happened to a feeder street nearby my house. It was originally planned with a sidewalk on one side of the street, but the city changed their mind and went nope so it's been a narrow toronto-like hellscape. One of the main arterial roads for the suburb is 1 narrow lane on either side, and the city still allows parking on one side of the street because the residents petitioned the city and got the required # of residents to ok it :jeb:

Think of the boats

Albino Squirrel posted:

In... the... garage?

Garages are the refuge of rampant consumerism, get your facts in order sir

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

Help I converted my garage into a man cave and now I have no where for my 2 trucks, camper, boat, utility trailer, motorcycle and 3 cars

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

EvilJoven posted:

What's the street? It needs to be added to the list of streets at the top of the pillage and raze list for when the revolution comes.

https://goo.gl/maps/F3JG2hy3H5v

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
Pave over your lawn. That’s all just potential driveway you’re sitting on.

Hell, why stop there? Demolish the house. You could have a property that’s 100% driveway.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Pave over your lawn. That’s all just potential driveway you’re sitting on.

Hell, why stop there? Demolish the house. You could have a property that’s 100% driveway.

This was literally the ideology of mid-century urban planning science. Demolish all the buildings so you can have more parking.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

https://twitter.com/RahRahRaina/status/1007751624838615041?s=19

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

I was just wished a happy thanksgiving by a homeless Indigenous person, and I have no idea how I should feel about that.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
Have some maize

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

just wanna point out that forums shithead James Baud logged on at 4 in the morning on August 25th and edited out all of his approximately 700 posts in this thread up to that day

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

lmao what a dweeb

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

THC posted:

just wanna point out that forums shithead James Baud logged on at 4 in the morning on August 25th and edited out all of his approximately 700 posts in this thread up to that day

Yeah, there was a Tesla thread that attracted way too much attention to these dead forums from many people I know and I'd been careless with personally identifying information in a few threads. A kid wouldn't stay asleep so I passed some time taking the blanket approach by hand.

Yeast Confection
Oct 7, 2005
I'll do half the work for everyone who hasn't ignored James Baud yet.

1. Click here : https://forums.somethingawful.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=215074
2. Click Add to Ignore List

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

ALL of Oak Bay is top of the loot-pillage-burn list.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.

THC posted:

Maybe he got recruited to Bernier's party and is getting ahead of opposition research.