Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

DariusLikewise posted:

He's going to table an amendment to also remove seatbelt laws next

Hell yeah, gently caress those beeping noises

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Chicken posted:

Are you allowed to bring cheat sheets into the polling booth? Because I'm going to have trouble remembering twenty names.

You are, yes.

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

TheOtherContraGuy posted:

Does anyone have strong opinions about the Vancouver municipal election? I'm trying to do research but everyone's platform seems to be "something must be done about housing prices."

https://vancouver.ca/vote has a "plan your vote" tool that lists all the candidates and gives them a paragraph to describe themselves or rant crazy nonsense. It's worth a look.

I have some mild opinions on who to vote for and strong opinions on who not to vote for.

Of course anti-bike lane, fake news! shouting Wai Young and Coalition Vancouver should be ignored. In addition to that two of the worst councillors this term have been NPA's Melissa De Genova and and Adriane Carr and I don't recommend voting for either.

De Genova is a pet of the developers and from the occasional times I've witnessed council is ultra partisan and wildly unread and unprepared. Carr is ostensibly a progressive environmentalist, but in practice she seems to be one of the NIMBYest voices on council, voting against a huge amount of housing developments. From what I have seen she also seems partisan and unread and she's useless on council. What is odd is that there's actually a lot of good ideas in the Green platform but Carr's voting record is atrocious. I don't know what to recommend here. Perhaps don't vote Carr but throw a vote to one of the other Green candidates.

I've seen some tweets from Chinatown activists that stated that Vision's Wei Zhang has said some really lovely out of line things about various Chinatown community members so I'm not super in a hurry to add him to my list.

So far my for sure voting list is:

1. Christine Boyle (OneCity)
2. Brandon Yan (OneCity)
3. Tanya Paz (Vision)
4. Jean Swanson (COPE)
5. Derrick O'Keefe (COPE)
6. Sarah Blyth

I still have four slots so there's a few other people I could vote for such as Anne Roberts (COPE), David Wong (GREEN), Michael Wiebe (GREEN), Taqdir Bahndal, Wade Grant or Spike (yep a candidate with a nick name that is not a joke candidate). I dunno.

Sarah Blyth has done great work in the DTES saving lives, and if you're interested in helping that community I've heard good things about Spike as well. COPE in general is also focused on housing the homeless and Derrick in particular seems like a really smart guy and a solid choice. Tanya Paz has worked in promoting active transportation and public transportation for decades and is a really good choice if you care about cycling at all. I've met her she's really nice. One City's Yan and Boyle advocate adding multi-unit housing to all neighbourhoods, and they seem to me like the sort of smart progressives that could implement YIMBY ideas while still considering the impacts on existing low income communities. I don't feel the same way about the other YIMBY party, YES Vancouver.

YES Vancouver is the YIMBY party headed by Hector Bremner and they're worth a look if you think that upzoning the entire city in a hurry is the way to fix Vancouver's vacancy and affordability issues. My concern with Hector and his party is that I really don't have much faith that he's interested in considering the impacts on low income persons that may occur when he flips the tea table and upzones everything at once. I think it's quite telling that when he decided to form his YES party his candidates on that slate ended up being a bunch of generic small business owners while several other YIMBY activists that supported him earlier on (Adrian Crook, Wade Grant, Graham Cook, Scott De Lang Boom) decided instead to either run independently or not run at all. YES put out a big platform document but it's basically only about housing so who knows what they think about anything else.

There's also a bunch of angry demand side guys in ProVancouver. They have a few valid points (mostly around the weak state of Airbnb enforcement) but kind of seem a bit nuts to me (eg. they freaked out about duplex zoning? I mean come on). I kind of wonder if this is the party CI would be voting for.

I'm still not sure who to vote for for Mayor. It's either Kennedy Stewart, Shauna Sylvester or comedy option Hector Bremner (could be interesting if there's a progressive council). I'm leaning Kennedy Stewart.

If you really want to get into VanPoli the Cambie Report podcast is worth a listen.

EDIT:
One last thing is that the Greens (and OneCity) have supported the notion of allowing drinking alcohol in parks, so throwing some votes toward a Green Park Board member like David Demers is probably a good idea if you care about this. (I certainly do!)

Femtosecond fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Oct 7, 2018

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

Pinterest Mom posted:

How did the slates even happen?

You have, what, 4 Greens, 3 COPE, 2 OneCity + 5 Vision running for 10 seats on the ~progressive~ side, and 8 NPA + 7 Coalition + 5 Yes Vancouver on the right?

It looks like imperfect coordination, like all the parties voluntarily fielded less than a full slate in order to avoid vote splitting, but then still made it so that each of the sides nominated more than 10 candidates to make it so vote splits still happen? It's bizarre - either cooperate or don't!

The Greens ran more candidates than they were supposed to!

There's no cooperation between any of the right wing parties so that explains that. 5 YES is not a bad number for a bold new party, but 8 and 7 are much too ambitious IMO.

In an at large system with no ranked ballots shortening the slate can be an effective strategy to elect as many councillors as possible. If you spread your vote too thin you risk electing no one.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Tanya is great yeah. It just depends how much you want Vision off council I guess. I also would recommend staying far the gently caress away from Yes Vancouver unless you really liked Christy Clark’s crew and would like them in charge of stuff again

Juul-Whip fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Oct 7, 2018

Kreez
Oct 18, 2003

Yes Vancouver seems pretty obsessed with focusing on supply side stuff and don't seem to believe demand has much to do with it. (with the exception of <24mo. flipping, which I can't imagine is a massive deal?) AirBNB, foreign buyers tax, empty homes, school tax, etc they have language in their platform indicating they aren't big fans, and promise to "review" them, which I imagine means eliminate them. gently caress that.

Their platform is also full of circular "Vision! :argh:" whining. For instance Vision hosed up by not allowing enough residential in the False Creek Flats at the expense of industrial, and then later in the document whine that Vision isn't protecting industrial land. Vision has concentrated too much on bike lanes, but there aren't enough of them, and so on. And a whole bunch of "we'll find efficiencies!" (doesn't mention what type) "eliminate red tape!" (without specifying which bylaws), and so on.

Really not a fan of them, though if Bremner was running for council I would probably throw a vote his way, since while I believe focusing on demand is 95% of the solution to reducing prices, and will be voting along those lines, I don't really see any downside in upzoning the gently caress out of the city, as long as the new developments pay for the improvements to infrastructure that will be needed. All the progressive candidates seem to be hesitant to go scorched earth on the SFH types.

While picking between Stewart over Sylvester is basically a coin flip, I'll probably vote for Stewart, if only because of Sylvester's presence on the boards of MEC and Vancity, both of which used to be great businesses that fulfilled a niche, and over the past 15 years have been chasing growth over anything else and are now generally indistinguishable from the lovely national brands they were founded as an alternative to. I doubt she's much to blame for that though, so if there's any chance a vote for her over Stewart will prevent a knob like Sim winning then I'll absolutely vote for her.

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

Yep I agree with all those YES complaints. I also noticed the internal discrepancy around the Flats zoning too lmao.

I'm in the same place where I mostly feel it's demand side factors which have propelled Vancouver real estate prices to absurd places, but at the same time I think it's reasonable to have a full stack of varied housing options all across the city, so I'm open to the YIMBY position that suggest that we should have fourplexes and walk up apartments alongside the typical detached homes.

I'll give some credit to Hector and YES for putting forward a real bold change platform, but yep absolutely I do not fully trust the guy. I voted for him in the byelection because I wanted to see if he was full of poo poo or the real deal, and at the moment I'm leaning more toward 'full of poo poo'.

As stated the YES platform skepticism toward demand side factors such as Airbnb and foreign capital are a big tell, and also his record of voting against recent Chinatown downzoning changes that were aimed toward preserving the neighbourhood character is a red flag to me. He seems like he could have an attitude that any increase in density is good no matter what, and I don't necessarily agree. Even though I'm in general a fairly pro-housing guy, the situation is often a lot more complex than that.

If he was running for council I'd probably throw him a vote just to give him more time to prove that he's his own man and not just a BC Lib shill so it's kind of too bad that he's leaping up to mayor so soon.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Victoria Election has been pretty funny so far. What's hillarious to me is that the right-wing dudes over on Vibrant Victoria, a site founded as a pro-development YIMBY group with developer ties, are all falling over them selves to blast Helps and all the left wing "SJW" candidates and give glowing support to Hammond and his right wing slate. The problem is, the right wing slate have all made it pretty clear they're nimby's. Stop in-fill development, protect the character or neighbourhoods, more power to neighbourhood associations, scale back the recent city plan to allow more density and commercial at "village centers". Those aren't even dog-whistle terms, it's very clear what they mean.

So you've got this whole community of right-wing supply siders facing the cognitive dissonance of wanting a right-wing "protect are neighbourhoods from development and homeless bums" sweep in the election. All the most vocal pro-supply candidates who say they want to make in-fill easier, upzone, streamline the development process are dreaded "SJWs".

So instead they just see charts like this posted and blast it as leftist propaganda

Baronjutter fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Oct 7, 2018

EvidenceBasedQuack
Aug 15, 2015

A rock has no detectable opinion about gravity
4/5 candidates in my affluent ward are all about the "rampant wave of crime" (e.g. a handful of bored teenagers) as well as "low taxes" but "increasing police force size."

I'm voting for the sensible blind dude who probably doesn't have a chance 😐

EvidenceBasedQuack
Aug 15, 2015

https://www.macleans.ca/news/canada/the-true-reasons-for-doug-ford-and-jason-kenneys-anti-carbon-tax-crusade/

quote:

Jason Kenney delivers a fine speech, but it is not him not who this crowd is here to see

They want “a man,” Kenney says, “who stood up to the elites even in his own party, to reverse their commitment to a carbon tax. A man who is a champion of our resource industries and jobs, a great ally of the West, and of Alberta, who is now in our corner.”

They want Doug Ford.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
I really hope that Ford's tenure in Ontario will cause any federal ambitions of his to crash and burn (I cannot forsee things going WELL for him here), but my feeling is that no matter how badly he does it will only make him more popular with conservatives.

EvidenceBasedQuack
Aug 15, 2015

Ford more years :downs:

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

The Cheshire Cat posted:

I really hope that Ford's tenure in Ontario will cause any federal ambitions of his to crash and burn (I cannot forsee things going WELL for him here), but my feeling is that no matter how badly he does it will only make him more popular with conservatives.

If he does well it's proof that right-wing populism is good and if he does badly it's proof that the deep state is frustrating all his good ideas.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

EvidenceBasedQuack posted:

They want Doug Ford.

They can keep him.

No seriously, please, take him.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

https://twitter.com/Bird5Ca/status/1048740146219118592

Ignore the second picture but if that's the base demographic for Ford and Kenney even if they get 2 terms it might not be more than that...

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
This year has pretty much eroded my empathy for rural Canada. They can gently caress off and rot for all I care. And they can take all their conservative cronies on the cities with them.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
People keep blaming rurals, but in Ontario at least the truly rural north went NDP, it's the suburbs and exurbs that gave us the blue wave.

AegisP
Oct 5, 2008
Rural always is referred to in a southern Ontario context. Northern Ontario always trends Liberal/NDP with a few exceptions (Kenora is weird).

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
Shh don't disturb their narrative it's extremely fragile and they're very protective of it.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
*a cornucopia of people from all races and religions votes for the Cons because they're terrible affluent suburbanites that only care about themselves and their property values*

Canpol thread: 'Rurals!' :bahgawd:

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich
I mean you can just blame Canadians, rural or otherwise.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

EvilJoven posted:

*a cornucopia of people from all races and religions votes for the Cons because they're terrible affluent suburbanites that only care about themselves and their property values*

Canpol thread: 'Rurals!' :bahgawd:

Sorry you live out in the wilderness. I haven't met a rural person who didn't turn into a regressive shithead hating on those an foreigners and big city elites the moment politics comes into a conversation.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe

Arcsquad12 posted:

Sorry you live out in the wilderness. I haven't met a rural person who didn't turn into a regressive shithead hating on those an foreigners and big city elites the moment politics comes into a conversation.

I'd rather live in a shack in the woods than loving Ajax.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
My point is there is absolutely a reason why I harp on rurals. They have yet to prove me wrong with their ingrained prejudices. Call it reductive but it's not wrong. It's not exclusive to rural Ontario but it is certainly most prevalent there.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Oct 7, 2018

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

EvilJoven posted:

I'd rather live in a shack in the woods than loving Ajax.

I've lived in Pickering my whole life because I'm too poor and busted to get out, you are 100% correct. Canada's suburbs will destroy us all.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Arcsquad12 posted:

My point is there is absolutely a reason why I harp on rurals. They have yet to prove me wrong with their ingrained prejudices. Call it reductive but it's not wrong. It's not exclusive to rural Ontario but it is certainly most prevalent there.

They arent wrong when they say its different in Ontario. When someone here says rural they typically mean central and southern Ontario, which is way more populated and suburban than the north but somehow holds all those regressive rural attitudes you imply the actual rural north has.

e: Like the Pickering example, Ive spent my whole life in Barrie and this city is one of the most regressive wannabe rural places in the province. Splitting it into 2 ridings was exactly what the Cons wanted.

Furnaceface fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Oct 7, 2018

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Femtosecond posted:

The Greens ran more candidates than they were supposed to!

There's no cooperation between any of the right wing parties so that explains that. 5 YES is not a bad number for a bold new party, but 8 and 7 are much too ambitious IMO.

In an at large system with no ranked ballots shortening the slate can be an effective strategy to elect as many councillors as possible. If you spread your vote too thin you risk electing no one.

"failed coordination agreement set up by labour that one of the parties broke" was exactly the context I was missing, thank you.

ARACHTION
Mar 10, 2012

As long as we’re all throwing out anecdotal evidence, I’ve found the most regressive people to live in suburbs and exurbs. “Rurals” have been much more concerned by lack of adequate services and job disappearance than racial issues. Real quote: “I don’t get why these idiots (politicians) keep talking about muslims. I’ve never even seen one in this town, a lot like I haven’t seen a doctor either.”

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I know Conrad Black is a goddamn moron and a colossal rear end in a top hat, but I read his national post article and it is something else. I regret doing so because he's just spewing insane vitriol.

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Arcsquad12 posted:

Thats some A+ stereotyping.

Maybe if you actually had some rural people in your life you'd learn a bit.

Do you think the high proportion of rurals that vote NDP are closet racists too?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I grew up in Renfrew County, the bluest loving riding in the goddamn province. I don't miss it or the people.

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

Ontario rurals are the Nickleback of rurals. They're all trash.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

Arcsquad12 posted:

I grew up in Renfrew County, the bluest loving riding in the goddamn province. I don't miss it or the people.

We don't miss you either ya negative nancy.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

zapplez posted:

Thats some A+ stereotyping.

Maybe if you actually had some rural people in your life you'd learn a bit.

Do you think the high proportion of rurals that vote NDP are closet racists too?

I'm literally from a rural as gently caress riding, and my hometown is full of right-wing FYGM bigots. You're an idiot, surprise.

Ardent Communist
Oct 17, 2010

ALLAH! MU'AMMAR! LIBYA WA BAS!
I'm from Buenos Aires, and I say Kill em all!

But really, all you're saying is that material conditions affects political beliefs, which is something we all know. The real question is why are right wing political demagogues more popular with them, and what can we change about our messaging to more effectively reach them. We have the goal of human liberation, from slavery, racism, and all the other evils that maintain capitalism. We must not let their methods divide us from our erstwhile allies.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
It's hard to be allies with people set in their ways. There is no point debating with a brick wall, much less a diehard conservative.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Arcsquad12 posted:

It's hard to be allies with people set in their ways. There is no point debating with a brick wall, much less a diehard conservative.

Debating requires both sides to provide good faith arguments and currently right wing politics has no interest in doing so. Its much easier to whip people up into a frenzy by preying on their fears and using that to create an "other" to attack. For most people it seems almost impossible to bring them back once down that path as they have no interest in being told that they have been lied to or that their fear is misplaced.

Sashimi
Dec 26, 2008

College Slice
I think all that can be gathered from the latest round of posts is that lovely people can be found in significant numbers everywhere in this country.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe

Sashimi posted:

I think all that can be gathered from the latest round of posts is that lovely people can be found in significant numbers everywhere on earth.

FTFY

Thing is, if you take the approach that pretty much anyone is capable of harbouring terrible ideas when they are unfortunately exposed to the conditions required for those ideas and take steps to both confront those ideas and also the conditions, good things can happen. Hell, there's a guy named Daryl Davis who has convinced over two hundred people to quit the KKK.

And yet this thread, despite it's opinions about a rehabilitative justice system over a punative one, that fully embraces concepts such as antisocial behaviors in the vulnerable sectors of society being a product of things like systemic poverty, lack of education and substance abuse. steadfastly refuses to acknowledge that maybe when people they don't like hold opinions they disagree with, it perhaps could also be due to external factors that need to be rationally addressed.

But nah, that doesn't feel as good as going "RURALS!" :bahgawd: on an Internet forum while they sit at their desks at their computer toucher jobs raking in somewhere close to six figures a year to do pretty much gently caress all while doing not a god damned thing to fix our failing society.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

EvilJoven posted:

FTFY

Thing is, if you take the approach that pretty much anyone is capable of harbouring terrible ideas when they are unfortunately exposed to the conditions required for those ideas and take steps to both confront those ideas and also the conditions, good things can happen. Hell, there's a guy named Daryl Davis who has convinced over two hundred people to quit the KKK.

And yet this thread, despite it's opinions about a rehabilitative justice system over a punative one, that fully embraces concepts such as antisocial behaviors in the vulnerable sectors of society being a product of things like systemic poverty, lack of education and substance abuse. steadfastly refuses to acknowledge that maybe when people they don't like hold opinions they disagree with, it perhaps could also be due to external factors that need to be rationally addressed.

But nah, that doesn't feel as good as going "RURALS!" :bahgawd: on an Internet forum while they sit at their desks at their computer toucher jobs raking in somewhere close to six figures a year to do pretty much gently caress all while doing not a god damned thing to fix our failing society.

You make an awful lot of assumptions about people in this thread, and a lot of it seems like projection.