Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost
Replaying Max Payne 2, and I just got to the Mona Sax sniper section. Shoot people gunning for Max when he's down? Fine.

Run through the building to a different sniper location while Max takes damage and you try to figure out where you're meant to go? Not great.

Then you need to move to another location in the building which is even more unclear where it's meant to be. gently caress thiiiiiis. Msx keeps dying because I've no idea where the hell I'm meant to go as Mona and every bit of this building under construction looks the same.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Max Payne 2 is virtually a perfect game

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Perestroika posted:

Reminds me of how one of the official scenarios for DnD 5e has you run into a Intellect Devourer very early on. Unsurprisingly, it devours your intellect, potentially lowering your Intelligence score to 0. That in turn puts you into a vegetative state until you somehow regain points in Intelligence.

That happened to one of our party members, and the thing was that at the time we played it the only way to get that Intelligence back is through a fairly high-level restoration spell that we couldn't cast. Now, as per the rules you can just go and pay a temple to cast that spell for you, but the listed price was insanely high for a bunch of lovely level 1 characters. So then the game suddenly turned into us going into a mountain of debt and engaging in various dubious schemes to raise the money to get our friend their brain back. It turned out to be good fun, but that was very much thanks to our GM rather than the rules.

Though in a bit of fairness to the game, they have apparently since adjusted/clarified the wording to state that you just need a good night's sleep to recover from this particular kind of intelligence loss. The rest of the scenario was still kinda poopy though.

I think I know which campaign you're talking about.
I tried running it for some friends back when I thought I could DM worth a crap.
In mine, I had the Harper noble they rescued front the fee as thanks for the party's help.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

I really need to play Max Payne 2 again, it's been way too many years since I've played the first two games. I looked into it a bit ago, but got cold feet because controller support looked pretty mixed, and I can't deal with the keyboard half of KB+M these days. I guess I'm probably better just waiting for the upcoming remakes at this point.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Captain Hygiene posted:

I really need to play Max Payne 2 again, it's been way too many years since I've played the first two games. I looked into it a bit ago, but got cold feet because controller support looked pretty mixed, and I can't deal with the keyboard half of KB+M these days. I guess I'm probably better just waiting for the upcoming remakes at this point.

I tried it recently and it's extremely ropey, I'd wait for the remaster yeah

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Perestroika posted:

Reminds me of how one of the official scenarios for DnD 5e has you run into a Intellect Devourer very early on. Unsurprisingly, it devours your intellect, potentially lowering your Intelligence score to 0. That in turn puts you into a vegetative state until you somehow regain points in Intelligence.

That happened to one of our party members, and the thing was that at the time we played it the only way to get that Intelligence back is through a fairly high-level restoration spell that we couldn't cast. Now, as per the rules you can just go and pay a temple to cast that spell for you, but the listed price was insanely high for a bunch of lovely level 1 characters. So then the game suddenly turned into us going into a mountain of debt and engaging in various dubious schemes to raise the money to get our friend their brain back. It turned out to be good fun, but that was very much thanks to our GM rather than the rules.

Though in a bit of fairness to the game, they have apparently since adjusted/clarified the wording to state that you just need a good night's sleep to recover from this particular kind of intelligence loss. The rest of the scenario was still kinda poopy though.

An old, but still prominent, adventure path for Pathfinder, "Rise of the Runelords", has you run into a group of shadows very early on. Depending on the type of game and DM and all that you're likely to be like, level 1-3 when you hit that point. Shadows are CR3 creatures with the unique ability that when they touch you they do 1d6 strength damage to you. If your strength score hits 0 you fall unconscious. Shadows, however, have a unique trait: If your strength damage equals your total strength then you die and become a shadow.

The important thing to remember is that, assuming you didn't roll for stats and get unlucky, your base strength score is 10 and most casters, and some dex classes, probably aren't going to raise it too much. So that's two hits from a shadow before you're unconscious, four from being dead. And at the early levels, you haven't had any opportunity to increase your strength scores nor are you likely to have ready access to easy ways to fix strength damage. So running into a group of them, at best, is going to cripple your martial or at worst kill your casters.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
What do you mean by “two hits before you’re unconscious four before you’re dead.” The shadow’s strength damage just kills at 0, it’s a replacement for the usual going unconscious at strength 0. It would be the same number of hits, generally about 3 for a Strength 10 character.

Also level 3 characters in Pathfinder can be assumed to have access to lesser restoration, it’s on a ton of class spell lists. If you don’t have a PC that can cast it or the money to pay someone to cast it on you, shadows deal ability damage not ability drain, so you can just sleep it off.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Arivia posted:

What do you mean by “two hits before you’re unconscious four before you’re dead.” The shadow’s strength damage just kills at 0, it’s a replacement for the usual going unconscious at strength 0. It would be the same number of hits, generally about 3 for a Strength 10 character.

Also level 3 characters in Pathfinder can be assumed to have access to lesser restoration, it’s on a ton of class spell lists. If you don’t have a PC that can cast it or the money to pay someone to cast it on you, shadows deal ability damage not ability drain, so you can just sleep it off.

I somehow had it in my head that it meant going to like -10 instead of 0. As for spells; Lesser restoration is a second level spell, you only have a small handful of those at level three, and if your DM is letting you rest and regain your spell slots after every encounter in the middle of a dungeon then literally nothing in the game will pose a threat so the entire point is moot.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Started playing Tomb Raider 4 as I just wasn't enjoying 3.
It is kind of funny that Tomb Raider 3 is insanely difficult, then 4 is the only one that starts with a mandatory tutorial.
4's apparently reputed to be the hardest overall though.

A thing dragging down the tutorial is that you have no weapons so they make you rely on Verner to kill the enemies but he's so slow about it you'll always take damage while waiting.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
It's been a long time, but I remember finding TR3 harder than 4. This might come down to the aforementioned save crystals, though it definitely also had quite a few levels that were way too long, including at the very start of the game. I loved the vibes and artwork of several levels in TR3, especially the Aldwych station level in the London segment, but their length often resulted in them wearing out their welcome with me.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Nuebot posted:

I somehow had it in my head that it meant going to like -10 instead of 0. As for spells; Lesser restoration is a second level spell, you only have a small handful of those at level three, and if your DM is letting you rest and regain your spell slots after every encounter in the middle of a dungeon then literally nothing in the game will pose a threat so the entire point is moot.

There’s only one shadow fight in the entire AP, and it’s in the back half of the bottom level of Thistletop. That back half is explicitly completely optional, and it comes after the time pressure/story boss of the part have been resolved. So, yeah, if the PCs do want to rest in the middle of the dungeon it’s fine. Paizo APs often don’t punish you for that, they intentionally soften the difficulty as a design goal.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Arivia posted:

There’s only one shadow fight in the entire AP, and it’s in the back half of the bottom level of Thistletop. That back half is explicitly completely optional, and it comes after the time pressure/story boss of the part have been resolved. So, yeah, if the PCs do want to rest in the middle of the dungeon it’s fine. Paizo APs often don’t punish you for that, they intentionally soften the difficulty as a design goal.

You're being weirdly anal about a post basically just saying there's also one other type of enemy that sucks to run into unprepared in a thread about things that suck in games. Please never respond to one of my posts again :shepface:

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
Please stop talking about Dungeons and Dragons or I'll start handing out sixers. There's a subforum.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I played through Tomb Raider 1 in the remastered collection and really enjoyed it overall outside of parts of the Altlantis levels having too many enemies. I can't imagine playing through any of the games using save crystals though, I definitely relied on quicksaves after getting past a tough platforming section and don't find it too fun to have to replay a section of platforming over again because of save crystal placement.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
I started playing South Park: The Fractured But Whole last week cause it's on whatever level of PS Plus I pay for (the mid-tier?) and I liked Stick of Truth well enough.

I appreciate it's not just Stick of Truth with a Superhero skin instead of Fantasy-skin. The combat and leveling mechanics are different. But I don't love the combat changes.

instead of a classic Final Fantasy style combat where you line up on one side and the enemies are on the other, it's a combat grid and you have to move around to get close enough to an enemy so that one of your attacks can hit them.

I wouldn't mind this so much if the game offered at least a FEW more attacks that weren't just straight ahead. And you can't attack if you're in the same square as a teammate, and most attacks can't be done from behind a teammate, either. The number of times I have to basically just skip a turn for one of my guys because there was no way to get into a position to do anything. Sometimes it's fine because you can heal or revive a teammate, but often I don't need healing or anything, so I just do nothing. An easy solution would have been that if a character still has move points left after an attack, they could use them to get out of the way.

Maybe I need to try different teammates, but so far most have just straight-ahead attacks. Scott Malkenson/Captain Diabetes has a "hits the four orthogonal directions" attack, that's useful. And Cartman has one that offers a big grid to pick an enemy from, but they seem to be about the only ones.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Philippe posted:

Please stop talking about Dungeons and Dragons or I'll start handing out sixers. There's a subforum.

And a very dead PYF thread

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3867124

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

DrBouvenstein posted:

I started playing South Park: The Fractured But Whole last week cause it's on whatever level of PS Plus I pay for (the mid-tier?) and I liked Stick of Truth well enough.

I appreciate it's not just Stick of Truth with a Superhero skin instead of Fantasy-skin. The combat and leveling mechanics are different. But I don't love the combat changes.

instead of a classic Final Fantasy style combat where you line up on one side and the enemies are on the other, it's a combat grid and you have to move around to get close enough to an enemy so that one of your attacks can hit them.

I wouldn't mind this so much if the game offered at least a FEW more attacks that weren't just straight ahead. And you can't attack if you're in the same square as a teammate, and most attacks can't be done from behind a teammate, either. The number of times I have to basically just skip a turn for one of my guys because there was no way to get into a position to do anything. Sometimes it's fine because you can heal or revive a teammate, but often I don't need healing or anything, so I just do nothing. An easy solution would have been that if a character still has move points left after an attack, they could use them to get out of the way.

Maybe I need to try different teammates, but so far most have just straight-ahead attacks. Scott Malkenson/Captain Diabetes has a "hits the four orthogonal directions" attack, that's useful. And Cartman has one that offers a big grid to pick an enemy from, but they seem to be about the only ones.

You definitely get a lot of other attack ranges/shapes as you go on, especially as you unlock more classes for the player character. Some of the later ones that you can mix and match are real weird IIRC

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
Having now actually bit the bullet on Helldivers 2, I've realized another problem it has: I don't think there's a single more boring weapon to start with in a shooter than an assault rifle. And that's the only primary it starts you with. I reflexively compared it to Warframe, where one of the starting weapons was a bow, which was absolutely perfect for me; some sort of equivalent precision or 'heavy single shot' weapon would've been great.

There's ways to unlock other weapons really quickly, but without much in the way of direction it's likely you won't realize that as quickly as you can access that. New primary weapons are unlocked through their battle passes--which are free, so that's not itself a problem, but given no other game with battle passes does something like that (especially not Fortnite, which it's very clearly borrowed its battle pass progression from) I just straight-up didn't realize that's where the other weapons were.

At the very least, a live-service game this new can fix those problems, so they might not even be problems for long, but they are right now and they make for a really unimpressive start.

Cleretic has a new favorite as of 08:37 on Mar 20, 2024

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Rockman Reserve posted:

Bloodborne is my favorite soulslike by a huge margin - nothing else really feels as tightly designed world-wise - but by god the level palette is drab. It mostly makes up for it with the skyboxes being gorgeous but it still doesn’t really change the fact that 99% of the game is brown, gray, or ~~spooky~~ glowing pale. Even the blood that flies around everywhere is muddy and desaturated.

I love the Hunters Nightmare and then the dragon mountain in DS3 for kind of this reason. Because after a whole game of wandering round dark and grimy places, suddenly emerging into bright sunshine is terrifying

Other thing dragging Bloodborne down - Visceral attacks scale with Skill, so if you do a Str build their damage is rubbish and a huge part of the game mechanics become irrelevant.

Also there is no weapon in this, or any videogame, as cool as the Threaded Cane. Every time I do a playthrough there's a real tempetation just to use the cane for the eighth time.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

Cleretic posted:

Having now actually bit the bullet on Helldivers 2, I've realized another problem it has: I don't think there's a single more boring weapon to start with in a shooter than an assault rifle. And that's the only primary it starts you with. I reflexively compared it to Warframe, where one of the starting weapons was a bow, which was absolutely perfect for me; some sort of equivalent precision or 'heavy single shot' weapon would've been great.

There's ways to unlock other weapons really quickly, but without much in the way of direction it's likely you won't realize that as quickly as you can access that. New primary weapons are unlocked through their battle passes--which are free, so that's not itself a problem, but given no other game with battle passes does something like that (especially not Fortnite, which it's very clearly borrowed its battle pass progression from) I just straight-up didn't realize that's where the other weapons were.

At the very least, a live-service game this new can fix those problems, so they might not even be problems for long, but they are right now and they make for a really unimpressive start.

It's the most versatile weapon in the game. Unlocking a shotgun and semi auto rifle takes place within your first 3 games.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Vic posted:

It's the most versatile weapon in the game. Unlocking a shotgun and semi auto rifle takes place within your first 3 games.

No, getting the currency to unlock them takes place in your first three games. But it's put in a place that is otherwise for cosmetics (and in other games, is entirely for cosmetics) that you're never actually pointed to.

I spent that currency on cosmetics before I realized that the gun on that screen wasn't a cosmetic.

Cleretic has a new favorite as of 09:08 on Mar 20, 2024

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

It's also weird that it's just an abstract floating hotkey at the top of your screen, while your other unlocks are at a physical terminal in your ship. It's like they're trying to signal "oh, this isn't real gameplay stuff".

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Assault rifles suck the fun out of so many games, they are just the best and most boring choice in most situations because they are accurate , have a decent rate of fire , do good damage and have plenty of ammo, which you can often refill from enemies. Compare that to all the fun weapons that you usually only get a few shots of and are way more situational, especially in a game with limited weapons slots.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

Cleretic posted:

No, getting the currency to unlock them takes place in your first three games. But it's put in a place that is otherwise for cosmetics (and in other games, is entirely for cosmetics) that you're never actually pointed to.

I spent that currency on cosmetics before I realized that the gun on that screen wasn't a cosmetic.

The battlepass-like design of the unlock screen is bad, I agree, but also not a problem with the assault rifle being the default weapon.

Assault rifle is no more boring than 'a semi automatic pistol' as a starting weapon.

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer

Cleretic posted:

I am blind and it is the games problem

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

ZeusCannon posted:

I am blind and it is the games problem

I bloody love Helldivers 2 but Cleretic is not wrong that upgrades and unlocks are a bit of a confusing mess and could be clearer.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

gently caress this chicken-teasing FF7 Rebirth minigame.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺

Necrothatcher posted:

gently caress this chicken-teasing FF7 Rebirth minigame.

I promise you the payoff is worth it

JackSplater
Nov 20, 2014

Metal Coat? It's already active?!

Hel posted:

Assault rifles suck the fun out of so many games, they are just the best and most boring choice in most situations because they are accurate , have a decent rate of fire , do good damage and have plenty of ammo, which you can often refill from enemies. Compare that to all the fun weapons that you usually only get a few shots of and are way more situational, especially in a game with limited weapons slots.

They do sit in a kind of weird place, yeah. Assuming an AR's stats are all Medium:
  • Increase RoF and reduce accuracy? LMG.
  • Increase RoF, reduce damage? SMG.
  • Reduce RoF, increase damage? Marksman rifle. Change both more? Sniper rifle.

They're kind of designed to be the middle ground weapon, so they're kind of effective but not the most effective in a given situation. But then the game gets balanced around them, because if you have a preset middle-ground weapon why not use it for balance, and it makes the other guns feel situational. Which would be fine in a game where you can carry more than 2 weapons at a time. Bring back weapon wheels, damnit.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

JackSplater posted:

Bring back weapon wheels, damnit.

"Back"? I've been hoping we can get rid of them.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
I like games like RE where weapon types are very distinct and your resources are a lot more limited so you need to vary your tactics.

Handgun is your basic firearm and useful for setting up melee finishers
Assault rifle is the best sustained dps
Shotgun is short range burst damage

And so on

Even in the most actiony RE games you need to be somewhat conservative with resources so all weapons have their uses.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I really like the shotguns in Helldivers because they're not the usual videogamey firearms equivalent of a big sword swing. They have real range and a tight spread.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

HD2’s weapon unlocks are too slow but starting you with a solid option that never goes out of style on higher difficulties is a good choice.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Lobok posted:

I really like the shotguns in Helldivers because they're not the usual videogamey firearms equivalent of a big sword swing. They have real range and a tight spread.

Helldivers 2, in general, has good weapon design in terms of like, actual weapon types. It even has the rare good video game flamethrower and each of its machineguns are really fun to just mow down swarms of bugs with. The weakest part, however, is that primary weapons are kind of intentionally bad and especially your starter ones just feel really lovely because as early as the first two difficulties armoured enemies start showing up and if your guns can't punch through light armour they're basically useless.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

Armored enemies are just weakspot enemies. You either take the role of chaff sweeper taking care of the small guys, so others can take the high impact weapon, or you shoot their legs off. Or use grenades. Or your supoort weapon. Or the airstrikes.

BTW the flamethrower has a really satisfying learning curve.

One thing dragging it down is if you dive backwards while firing it, your boots will slightly clip the jet stream and you take damage/ start burning.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Cleretic posted:

I am literally just learning that’s where the guns are right now. I’ve only played a few hours but I thought I was missing something on the ship.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
It's very bizarre to me that people don't explore UIs. Like, this what my thought process when I first played: there's a big flashing thing at the top that says something, so I press the button. Now there's a menu with a couple things I can enter, one costs some sort of currency so that's out, the other doesn't, so what's inside? A bunch of stuff, including guns. The guns seem to have stats when I press a button, so they probably aren't cosmetics like the cape and the helmet, which seem like they're just fashionable things. So I get the gun. Or I don't, since I don't remember if you start with medals.

Like it's one thing to not learn that if you hold the reload button in the mission it brings up a menu that lets you change your firing rate and such (seriously why is that buried in a random tip when you're loading in) but I thought this was pretty clear. Though I suppose a quick screenshot tutorial wouldn't have hurt.

JackSplater
Nov 20, 2014

Metal Coat? It's already active?!

Lobok posted:

"Back"? I've been hoping we can get rid of them.

Resistance: Fall of Man had the ideal weapon selection. Two general-purpose guns that both had different applications, and then a dozen or so miscellaneous, more specialized weapons. You were free to pick whatever you wanted to use for any given situation. It was fantastic.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
agreed. and frankly subsequent Resistance games never captured that same balance. Fall of Man was a brilliant shooter, if admittedly slow to kick off

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

the Howling Pit in Code Vein is almost certainly the least fun level to play through in the history of video games

you know how every Souls game has a swamp, right? usually filled with enemies that can poison you?

what if the swamp was loving huge. and so dark that you can’t see more than about ten feet in front of you.

and it’s absolutely filled with enemies that aren’t much of a threat on their own, but can quickly overwhelm you in groups. and they can hide under the water very effectively.

and the entire area is filled with walls and detritus, making it the most maze-like area of the game so far

and even when you “light the area” it’s still a dark gray mess

and there are several steps of lowering water levels to proceed, into areas that (instead of wading through waist deep water an inch at a time) have narrow paths between bottomless chasms. and enemies hang out on the side of the cliffs to climb up and surround you.

and your companion constantly barks “I hope we get out of here soon” and “the terrain doesn’t favor us”, incessantly, as if you are not already keenly aware that this is the video game equivalent of Hell

and there are little slime enemies that are below the water level by default that spit poison at you. how their spit shoots through the (apparently ultra-viscous, based on walk speed) water is left unexplored.

and the boss of the area is much harder than anything else in it, despite being some kind of ridiculous sexy zombie pole dancer. it will almost certainly OHKO both you and your companion.

that’s the howling pit.

it’s bad.