Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

LorneReams posted:

The problem with bike locks is never going to be cutting (unless the cable is incredibly cheap), it's the fact that someone with any sort of knowledge can pick the lock in like 10 - 30 seconds
you've been watching too much lockpickinglawyer. the problem with bike locks is almost always cutting. cable cutters, bolt cutters and angle grinders are fast and don't take any skill, and there are plenty of suckers buying cheap cable locks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

butt dickus posted:

you've been watching too much lockpickinglawyer. the problem with bike locks is almost always cutting. cable cutters, bolt cutters and angle grinders are fast and don't take any skill, and there are plenty of suckers buying cheap cable locks

Yeah this is also a good point. If your bike is locked with two or more really beefy locks, through the wheels and frame to something solid, and it makes an alarming noise if anyone tries to pull off the gearset or whatever, then the odds are good that the thief is just going to go find an easier bike to steal.

I had mine stolen when they dismantled the light pole I'd locked it to and lucked out that my tenant's insurance covered bicycles. Probably the best way to turn a $1500 hurt into a $500 one, so I recommend making sure you have a rider or some kind of coverage for your bikes.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

As an alternative option, you can also put an Apple airtag on the underside of the saddle. If the bike does get stolen you can track it down.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

butt dickus posted:

Yeah, usually its just some dudes driving around at night in a white van. If the bike isn't secured to a solid object they just toss it in the back and they have a bolt cutter if they aren't in a hurry. Like I guess they technically could pick the locks, but why bother when the other methods take even less effort?

I might be more concerned about lockpicking if it was an 8000$ bike but at that point it should be indoors when not in use.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

regulargonzalez posted:

As an alternative option, you can also put an Apple airtag on the underside of the saddle. If the bike does get stolen you can track it down.

yeah once I put my bike places again I think I'm just going to drop one of those in the frame. Don't know if that would work, though.

Crumps Brother
Sep 5, 2007

-G-
Get Equipped with
Ground Game

tuyop posted:

yeah once I put my bike places again I think I'm just going to drop one of those in the frame. Don't know if that would work, though.
In the frame doesn't really work (so says the youtube video I watched on the subject). It tested a few different locations and the best spots are either bottle cage mounts or under the saddle. My wife and I have our airtags under the bottle cages. Currently just using normal hex screws, but if I get a bug up my rear end I might buy some secure torx screws or something wild like that to help prevent their removal.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Crumps Brother posted:

In the frame doesn't really work (so says the youtube video I watched on the subject). It tested a few different locations and the best spots are either bottle cage mounts or under the saddle. My wife and I have our airtags under the bottle cages. Currently just using normal hex screws, but if I get a bug up my rear end I might buy some secure torx screws or something wild like that to help prevent their removal.

Ooo, that's a really good idea, yeah.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

ultrafilter posted:

This is Just to Say by William Carlos Williams:

Ah. Guess I was closer to the gist than I thought

Thanks

Joan
Mar 28, 2021

Is there a word for the phenomenon where people adopt accents when they sing and they tend to be associated with certain genres? Like the grunge accent, the Indie girl accent, or the Post Malone accent

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Joan posted:

Is there a word for the phenomenon where people adopt accents when they sing and they tend to be associated with certain genres? Like the grunge accent, the Indie girl accent, or the Post Malone accent

Affectation is close but maybe not exactly what you're describing

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

I don't know if there's a music-specific term but it seems similar to "convergence" in communication accommodation theory, where we change our speech patterns to match the expectations of people we communicate with (consciously or unconsciously). In music especially, accent carries the standard group identification signals but is also often stylistically integral to structure of the music itself.

Extra row of tits
Oct 31, 2020

Joan posted:

My ex partner speaks with a Welsh accent.. her family is at least two generations removed, she's never been there, no one I ever met had an accent in her family and she didn't have the accent during the seven years we were together.

My cringe when I hear her talk is killing me.

Goon Boots
Feb 2, 2020

Stickman posted:

I don't know if there's a music-specific term but it seems similar to "convergence" in communication accommodation theory, where we change our speech patterns to match the expectations of people we communicate with (consciously or unconsciously). In music especially, accent carries the standard group identification signals but is also often stylistically integral to structure of the music itself.

sounds like it could make some good papers or maybe even a decent dissertation

Ironhead
Jan 19, 2005

Ironhead. Mmm.

What's a good free photo editor app for Android? I just want to make dumb memes and photoshop type stuff to send my friends because we are all idiots. I googled around a bit and there's just so god drat many, alot of which I'm sure just want to steal my data.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?

Photoshop Express

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

I'm looking for a good RSS reader. I've been using Feedly ever since Google Reader kicked the bucket, but it's not great. Way too much crap I don't want, and it's missing the ability to change the URL of a feed (such as when a source moves address). Any recommendations?

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

The Old Reader.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Hyperlynx posted:

I'm looking for a good RSS reader. I've been using Feedly ever since Google Reader kicked the bucket, but it's not great. Way too much crap I don't want, and it's missing the ability to change the URL of a feed (such as when a source moves address). Any recommendations?

Rssowl is what I use and it works just fine as long as you only use it on one machine.
If you want to access it from multiple devices then you'll need one of the online web-app ones though.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Hyperlynx posted:

I recently switched from Feedly to Inoreader and I've been happy with the switch. Not sure if you can change the URL, but I wouldn't be surprised if you can.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Great! Thanks folks :)

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
I know nothing about gates, but I want to create a gate that works thusly, I have two inputs, each one has an on state, and an off state. I want to create an xor gate, or something similar, that when both switches are held, it sends the input of the last button I pressed, so if I had switch 1 and switch 2, and I'm holding switch 1, and press switch 2, I want it to send switch 2, and vice versa.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

I tried using a web-based RSS reader years ago because, in concept, it would be ideal for me. But I couldn't find one that wouldn't delete poo poo I wasn't done with. I sometimes need (want) to leave stuff (read or unread) to come back to days/weeks/months later. Does this automatically delete old stuff or can I leave old stuff sitting there safely?

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Boba Pearl posted:

I know nothing about gates, but I want to create a gate that works thusly, I have two inputs, each one has an on state, and an off state. I want to create an xor gate, or something similar, that when both switches are held, it sends the input of the last button I pressed, so if I had switch 1 and switch 2, and I'm holding switch 1, and press switch 2, I want it to send switch 2, and vice versa.

I'm very confused by the question as you've posed it.
If both of the input switches are held, aka "true", then "the input of the last button I pressed" will also always be "true", right? Unless you mean you want some multi-valued thing and not a boolean on-or-off logic gate.

Can you go into more detail about what you are trying to do?

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
I decided it was too much effort and to just pay an extra 25$ for a PCB that does what I want. I was looking for a way to bypass an SOCD cleaner so that I could get it to work in last input priority mode, so that when I held left, then right on my hitbox, it'd move me right, and if I let go it'd move me left. There's a card that already has that kind of SOCD cleaner, so I'm going to just purchase that.

OscarDiggs
Jun 1, 2011

Those sure are words on pages which are given in a sequential order!
How will I know if I'm standing straight properly without a mirror to check against constantly? Every diagram has an example that shows you how it should be from the outside, but I can't see myself from the sides, back or front.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

OscarDiggs posted:

How will I know if I'm standing straight properly without a mirror to check against constantly? Every diagram has an example that shows you how it should be from the outside, but I can't see myself from the sides, back or front.

Prop up your phone/camera and use a timer

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

OscarDiggs posted:

Stand up straight in the mirror and remember how it feels? If it's different to how you usually stand then it must feel different to do it intentionally.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Tiggum posted:

I tried using a web-based RSS reader years ago because, in concept, it would be ideal for me. But I couldn't find one that wouldn't delete poo poo I wasn't done with. I sometimes need (want) to leave stuff (read or unread) to come back to days/weeks/months later. Does this automatically delete old stuff or can I leave old stuff sitting there safely?

Their behavior is more or less identical to Google Reader about a year before its demise, so whatever that did will happen here too.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

OscarDiggs posted:

It's 2022, you don't need to be straight any more. Just lean into it.

Goon Boots
Feb 2, 2020

OscarDiggs posted:

what greazeball said

you can also take a short video of yourself facing the camera, from the side, and back to the camera

another option is to screencast your phone to a television and then place the phone camera on top of the television so the television screen acts as a "mirror"
or you can place the phone to the side so you can look at your side profile without having to turn your head

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

OscarDiggs posted:

You can always take a moment to stretch your back like this:

If you're slouching or otherwise not standing up straight, bending backwards to stretch like this will force you to move through the straight-up posture first, so you can feel how far off from straight you were.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

I'm very confused by the question as you've posed it.
If both of the input switches are held, aka "true", then "the input of the last button I pressed" will also always be "true", right? Unless you mean you want some multi-valued thing and not a boolean on-or-off logic gate.

Can you go into more detail about what you are trying to do?

Boba Pearl posted:

I decided it was too much effort and to just pay an extra 25$ for a PCB that does what I want. I was looking for a way to bypass an SOCD cleaner so that I could get it to work in last input priority mode, so that when I held left, then right on my hitbox, it'd move me right, and if I let go it'd move me left. There's a card that already has that kind of SOCD cleaner, so I'm going to just purchase that.

At minimum you'll need some sort of storage bit to store information about which button was pressed first. You could probably get away with a basic SR latch + some gates, but you might have to worry about timing and you'd definitely need advice from someone with more experience than me on the actual design, especially if you want low latency and clean output.

E: Looks like there's an electronics thread over in HCH?

Stickman fucked around with this message at 23:53 on May 22, 2022

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
I bought a new laptop recently, and it has one of those trackpads where depending on where you click, it gets interpreted as either a left-click or a right-click. But there's no indicator of where the divide is. What would be a good way of modifying the trackpad so that I could easily tell if I'm about to left- or right-click, ideally without having to look at the trackpad? I feel like a small piece of painter's tape would probably work in the short-term, but be pretty nasty when it stops working...

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

ultrafilter posted:

Their behavior is more or less identical to Google Reader about a year before its demise, so whatever that did will happen here too.

Well I never used Google reader so I don't know what it did.

Douche4Sale
May 8, 2003

...and then God said, "Let there be douche!"

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

I bought a new laptop recently, and it has one of those trackpads where depending on where you click, it gets interpreted as either a left-click or a right-click. But there's no indicator of where the divide is. What would be a good way of modifying the trackpad so that I could easily tell if I'm about to left- or right-click, ideally without having to look at the trackpad? I feel like a small piece of painter's tape would probably work in the short-term, but be pretty nasty when it stops working...

Maybe a very thin strip of acrylic paint (or just use a fine paint paint pen). It should last a bit longer and is easy to remove with a small amount of water.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

I was thinking a small dot of nail polish, but not sure if it could be removed without damage.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Crazy idea, but is there a setting where you can disable the right click functionality? I had a laptop like this and it drove me crazy so I ended up changing it so to right click I used a modifier key.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

kedo posted:

Crazy idea, but is there a setting where you can disable the right click functionality? I had a laptop like this and it drove me crazy so I ended up changing it so to right click I used a modifier key.

This is another possibility, for sure, but I feel like I could probably get used to how it works if I could just know what kind of click I was going to get before I clicked. Really, I think the ideal would be if right-click were only enabled for a small zone in the bottom-right corner of the trackpad, rather than getting 50% of the width of the trackpad to itself. I'm used to tracking with my right index finger, and clicking with my thumb, so the thumb tends to be towards the right side of the trackpad to begin with.

Re: nail polish: I don't think it's a huge deal if whatever marker I use can't easily be removed. I just don't want to be in a position in the future where whatever solution I used is now a nasty, sticky mess. So basically, if it relies on adhesive, that adhesive should cure hard. It's OK if it wears away with use, so long as it wears away "clean" (not leaving an unpleasant residue).

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Generally this is something you just learn and hold in muscle memory over time without needing queues. Maybe give it a month or so of use?

The other thing you can do if you want to mark it is use a grease pencil. The marks they leave are a little tacky so you'd feel the divide. You'd have to redraw the line periodically though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

It's a really interesting question to me because it's something I never think about, my sense of proprioception always has in the back of my mind where my fingers are on the track pad. I thought that was innate but apparently not. Or even out of the corner of your eye you should be able to tell if your finger is more to the left or the right?