Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Cerekk posted:

Let's try this again

I'm not going to comment on the quality of your photos (I don't mean that in a bad way, I just don't know what I'm doing) but if you want them to look good on-screen you're better off just outputting them in a more palatable resolution from whatever program you use and using plain old [img] tags. Using [timg] on pictures that are 6,000 pixels across just means they look like pixelated garbage on most normal-sized monitors when you click them, and also means that viewing them actual size is basically impossible.

e: content:

500px's compression enrages me. Why can't flickr work for me :(

Slavvy fucked around with this message at 08:17 on Jan 15, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deaders
Jun 14, 2002

Someone felt sorry enough for me to change my custom title.

GunForumMeme
Apr 22, 2010
Roof by thedoablebill, on Flickr

Slats by thedoablebill, on Flickr

rohan
Mar 19, 2008

Look, if you had one shot
or one opportunity
To seize everything you ever wanted
in one moment
Would you capture it...
or just let it slip?

:siren:"THEIR":siren:

Path by rstop bstop, on Flickr

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Bukit Merah by alkanphel, on Flickr

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Putrid Grin
Sep 16, 2007

x-post from medium format:

_DSC7964 by Stingray of Doom, on Flickr

Rot
Apr 18, 2005

Putrid Grin posted:

x-post from medium format:

_DSC7964 by Stingray of Doom, on Flickr

This I really like.

Took my new lens out for a walk tonight.

DSCF3008.jpg
by Brian.M.K, on Flickr

Rot fucked around with this message at 11:14 on Jan 16, 2015

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

Two pictures of the same subject. I wanted a retro vibe so I cranked some settings in lightroom. I thought color worked better in the picture with the surfers and kinda had a more 50's vibe. The black and white shot was more timeless.

Kiwanda BW-1442 by sporklift, on Flickr

MOS_1443 by sporklift, on Flickr

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

those greys :cabot:

hallway by mydoski, on Flickr

deaders
Jun 14, 2002

Mido posted:

What are you guys going for with these?

I am not at all wanting to be a dick (honestly) but why did you choose these subjects, and why did you choose to compose the photos the way you did?

erephus
May 24, 2012
\o/ \o/ \o/ \o/ \o/
\o/ \o/ \o/ \o/ \o/

Uppsala by dabrovnijk, on Flickr

erephus fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Jan 16, 2015

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

deaders posted:

I am not at all wanting to be a dick (honestly) but why did you choose these subjects, and why did you choose to compose the photos the way you did?

this is a shot from a test roll that I thought came out nicely, it's not remarkable but I like the vertical contrast action being drawn by different elements in the scene, there's some depth to it and i like the crawl into total blackness. not everyone is posting something memorable. i enjoy taking relatively simple photos right now while i work on my general techniques (editing/post/development)

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

deaders posted:

I like taking minor objects of humanity out of context and displaying them prominently. Stuff that is normally unremarkable but really makes you think about how it got there and who the owners are and what they do et al. I dunno.

Realtalk: cause they look cool; the chairs especially just for their incogruousness.

e: to be more specific: The chairs I wanted the tree to be fully in frame. Theswingset I wanted the overturned old seat thing to be sharp, and the swing set deliberately out of focus for reasons I can't put my finger on. The Stove I just wanted the lettering to be as clear as possible. If I had to do that again I would endeavour to make the 'Bob Marley' lettering on the poster in the background clearer so as to emphasise the :420:

Mido posted:

This is nice!

Slavvy fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Jan 17, 2015

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

untitled by mydoski, on Flickr

diagonal by mydoski, on Flickr

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

sporklift posted:

Two pictures of the same subject. I wanted a retro vibe so I cranked some settings in lightroom. I thought color worked better in the picture with the surfers and kinda had a more 50's vibe. The black and white shot was more timeless.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/qNhxMH]
MOS_1443 by sporklift, on Flickr

Yo

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

by 8th-samurai, on Flickr

pootiebigwang
Jun 26, 2008
Untitled by Dev Luns, on Flickr

upstart
Oct 30, 2012

I've got this

Ometepe paradise by theupstart, on Flickr

San Juan Del Sur by theupstart, on Flickr

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy
Mansueto by TomOlson, on Flickr

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

What is in...that...structure thing?

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

deaders posted:

Great questions although Mido said in the film thread he was :justpost:ing a film shot because he was excited about taking a film shot.

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

Dren posted:

Great questions although Mido said in the film thread he was :justpost:ing a film shot because he was excited about taking a film shot.

it turned out nice!

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

mido you are here by banned from posting landscapey photos in the landscape thread.

your crime? enjoying photography

quote:

Yeah good stuff on developing b&w, I was not having a go at you just trying to stimulate some thought and possibly some discussion.

:3: aww

a cyberpunk goose fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Jan 17, 2015

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

Is that a lighthouse up there?

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy

Slavvy posted:

What is in...that...structure thing?

It is a library.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

Mido posted:

mido you are here by banned from posting landscapey photos in the landscape thread.

your crime? enjoying photography

Geez it's not that bad. It's a pretty ok photo.

deaders
Jun 14, 2002

Yeah good stuff on developing b&w, I was not having a go at you just trying to stimulate some thought and possibly some discussion.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

deaders posted:

Looking at Slavvy's photo of the upturned stool and swingset, to me it's a photo that elicits curiosity. Where are the children? Did they knock over the stool? Maybe it was raining and put upside down. Or windy? There's careful aesthetics there in the framing and such, but it's a moment captured (or implied) which is what photography is about.

Putrid Grin
Sep 16, 2007

DSCF0216 by Stingray of Doom, on Flickr

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

sporklift posted:

Is that a lighthouse up there?

Yeah it's an automated beacon thing. Whatipu beach is the southernmost point of the most dramatic hills in the region and forms the upper jaw of the harbour mouth, with the northern tip of the Manukau heads being the southern jaw. There's also some pretty sweet caves but I haven't gone there with my camera yet. The whole place is a scientific reserve with some birds that are ridiculously rare.

This is the only picture I have with the lighthouse properly visible because it's not a very photogenic thing:

RangerScum posted:

It is a library.

Wanna read a book while it's raining in that bitch :swoon:

Linedance posted:

Looking at Slavvy's photo of the upturned stool and swingset, to me it's a photo that elicits curiosity. Where are the children? Did they knock over the stool? Maybe it was raining and put upside down. Or windy? There's careful aesthetics there in the framing and such, but it's a moment captured (or implied) which is what photography is about.

This is it exactly.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
I find those telephoto shots Slavvy did to be not that great. They mostly are what he says, minor objects of humanity displayed prominently and (sort of) out of context thanks to telephoto isolation. But they're not an especially good take on the "out of context objects" idea. A stronger approach to that idea would be to actually take the objects out of their environment and isolate them. Shoot them on white or put them in an entirely incongruous environment. Perhaps pile all the objects from a place together, too.

Since he's not really knocking the concept out of the park what's left is the composition of the photos themselves and I find that to be lacking as well. There's not really any interesting lines or juxtapositions (overturned stool on the playground doesn't do a lot for me, sorry) or any other type of element that would bring something to the photos because there's not very much in the photos.

The pictures might work as establishment shots in a movie. Something that pops up while the opening credits roll and before the scene is established. But that idea isn't taken all the way, Slavvy never establishes the scene for us.

To not be entirely negative, Slavvy's shot of those corrugated metal buildings was sort of cool and I thought it almost had it.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Dren posted:

I find those telephoto shots Slavvy did to be not that great. They mostly are what he says, minor objects of humanity displayed prominently and (sort of) out of context thanks to telephoto isolation. But they're not an especially good take on the "out of context objects" idea. A stronger approach to that idea would be to actually take the objects out of their environment and isolate them. Shoot them on white or put them in an entirely incongruous environment. Perhaps pile all the objects from a place together, too.

Since he's not really knocking the concept out of the park what's left is the composition of the photos themselves and I find that to be lacking as well. There's not really any interesting lines or juxtapositions (overturned stool on the playground doesn't do a lot for me, sorry) or any other type of element that would bring something to the photos because there's not very much in the photos.

The pictures might work as establishment shots in a movie. Something that pops up while the opening credits roll and before the scene is established. But that idea isn't taken all the way, Slavvy never establishes the scene for us.

To not be entirely negative, Slavvy's shot of those corrugated metal buildings was sort of cool and I thought it almost had it.

I get what you're saying, but at that point you might as well just put the stool and slide in a gallery space and not bother with the photo. I think because the scene has natural context, it works as a photo. I'm not saying trophies and laurels all round, but the scenes in those particular shots have context, just enough for the viewer's imagination to fill in the remainder of the scene.
Since that's what he was going for, I can at least say that the photos work for me.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

some cold

Freezing
by kingdugga, on Flickr

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Dren posted:

I'll happily admit I have no real idea as to what I'm doing :shobon:

Putrid Grin
Sep 16, 2007

Some people like your stuff, others don't. You just gotta keep on keeping on and have fun while doing it.

_DSC4556 by Stingray of Doom, on Flickr

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

Putrid Grin posted:

Some people like your stuff, others don't. You just gotta keep on keeping on and have fun while doing it.

_DSC4556 by Stingray of Doom, on Flickr

:eyepop: lovin' this

pootiebigwang
Jun 26, 2008

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
Exploring Tampa 42 by Execudork, on Flickr