Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

The Perry metal dudes are tempting because I love metal, but a whole box o' plastic men for $50AUD is pretty good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

Endman posted:

The Perry metal dudes are tempting because I love metal, but a whole box o' plastic men for $50AUD is pretty good.

If I had to redo them today, I'd do plastics mostly for price. For AWI, all of your dudes being in the same pose is actually a benefit, so it's not a big deal to me.

And one of these days I'll get around to painting them.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

Colonial Air Force posted:

If I had to redo them today, I'd do plastics mostly for price. For AWI, all of your dudes being in the same pose is actually a benefit, so it's not a big deal to me.

And one of these days I'll get around to painting them.

Similar poses is great for 17th-19th Century, makes it so much easier to paint. I'm even starting to like plastics with as few bits as possible, no reason to have to glue arms and heads and everything when every soldier is marching while cradling their rifle.

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

I regard the death and mangling of a couple thousand toy soldiers as a small affair, a kind of morning dash
Holy poo poo tfl want $15 to ship sp2 to the US =/ like 38% of the book cost

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Don't they do the PDFs still?

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of *blank*

muggins posted:

No different from what US companies charge us here in UK. Then we get hit by customs charges, import tax and post office handling fees. Count yourselves lucky.
A US store wanted to charge me $30 to ship a NFL jersey. I'm sure a book and token set weighs more than a shirt.
Plus there will be a pdf only release on the 23rd I'm sure.

Serotonin fucked around with this message at 14:21 on Apr 6, 2016

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops
Postage from the USA is insane, yeah.

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

I regard the death and mangling of a couple thousand toy soldiers as a small affair, a kind of morning dash

Serotonin posted:

No different from what US companies charge us here in UK. Then we get hit by customs charges, import tax and post office handling fees. Count yourselves lucky.
A US store wanted to charge me $30 to ship a NFL jersey. I'm sure a book and token set weighs more than a shirt.
Plus there will be a pdf only release on the 23rd I'm sure.

I order stuff from the UK and mainland Europe all the time and it's usually around 5 or 8 bucks. I'll wait for Brigade games to stock it.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I ordered a pile of figures from Ireland to the US and it was something like :10bux:. They might be insisting on tracking or something like that.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

muggins posted:

Yeah holy poo poo that is like nothing compared to shipping stuff from the US *looks at hobby store that have 75 USD as minimum S&H for orders shipping to Europe*.

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

It wasn't really a comparison to costs for taxes and all that poo poo for euro countries so much as a comparison from other euro companies that don't charge nearly that much

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

Id recommend the pdfs they do. Optimised for tablets with quick links etc. I'm only getting a rule book for the poker chips. Will probably flog it.

Mr.Booger
Nov 13, 2004
Hell I just paid it, The multiple thousands of dollars worth of miniatures and terrain piled up in the other room scoffs at such paltry sums. Just think of it as early access tax, I am sure Golden Distribution will carry it so most US stores can get it in, but that will be months from now, as they are not the speediest of distributors.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

muggins posted:

It wasn't really a comparison to costs for taxes and all that poo poo for euro countries so much as a comparison from other euro companies that don't charge nearly that much

No probs, it's just annoying that I've been pretty much priced out from ordering cool stuff from US the last couple of years. It's weird when I can get stuff shipped for peanuts from Hong Kong, which is much further away, but got to pay some 40 bucks in total for shipping and duties last time I fell for the temptation of getting some bases from Litko.

Now we're discussing if it's worth getting the poker chips, cards, or both. The explanation is vague as hell, is the card deck just a normal card deck? In that case, we might just go with ordering a cool looking deck of cards instead.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

lilljonas posted:

No probs, it's just annoying that I've been pretty much priced out from ordering cool stuff from US the last couple of years. It's weird when I can get stuff shipped for peanuts from Hong Kong, which is much further away, but got to pay some 40 bucks in total for shipping and duties last time I fell for the temptation of getting some bases from Litko.

Now we're discussing if it's worth getting the poker chips, cards, or both. The explanation is vague as hell, is the card deck just a normal card deck? In that case, we might just go with ordering a cool looking deck of cards instead.

Yeah, it's gotten crazy; even tiny 6mm stuff charges like £10+ on shipping. A couple of reaper figures were quoted at over £100. For a few plastic 28mm figures.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets
I'm wondering about the feasibility of doing Sharpe practice in 6mm, my guys are on 40X20 bases, so I might need to have each base count as two soldiers. But it could well work.

I need to try chain of command and bolt action with my 15mm guys.

I've always been interested in Longstreet , but the cost in the UK for the book and two sets of cards prices me out.

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

Serotonin posted:

Id recommend the pdfs they do. Optimised for tablets with quick links etc. I'm only getting a rule book for the poker chips. Will probably flog it.

Yeah I bought CoC and a bunch of supplements and Christmas specials or whatever they are in pdf, but I am groggy and prefer to have rules in dead tree form

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

I went to order some Baccus stuff from Scale Creep and saw this note.

quote:

BACCUS 6mm: Owing to circumstances beyond our (and Baccus) control, we are temporarily unable to import the Baccus 6mm Range. We are in close communication with Peter at Baccus Miniatures about the situation. But we simply cannot provide the levels of stock and service our customers expect. We will continue to sell our existing stock. As soon as circumstances allow, we will resume importing this great range of products. In the mean time we suggest you go direct for those packs we don't have in stock.

Anyone know whats up? I'm trying to get my Imperial Roman 6mm groove on...

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

moths posted:

I ordered a pile of figures from Ireland to the US and it was something like :10bux:. They might be insisting on tracking or something like that.
Irish shipping is different and hillariously cheap. That's why I offer for US goons to ship stuff to me if they can get free shipping and I'll pass it onto them.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

lilljonas posted:

The cards/ tokens I imagine will be numbered 1-10 in 2 colours to represent big men. Their will be half a dozen or so cards with a flag on for Command again in two colours. Their will be a Tiffin card and a few blanks. I imagine that will be it coz unlike previous card driven games they have done they have taken a lot from CoC and gone very light on the whole card mechanic.

For what it's worth I'm going for poker chips coz they are much easier to shuffle in a bag.

Mr.Booger
Nov 13, 2004
I went cards, figured if I change my mind I have poker chips I can label or something. Most the videos and AARs have been AWI/Civil War, what are people planning on playing? I have Naps lying around gathering dust so going for those.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

I've already got ACW in 28mm but also doing French Indian War and Peninsular War in 15mm. The AWI is tempting though.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

Just found ft his info on the Yahoo group

quote:

Evening all. Time for an update after a very busy period where I have been somewhat remiss in not keeping you all up to speed.

The Sharp Practice Range will include the following:

The rule book. 120 pages, perfect bound, full colour, five periods covered with Army Lists and troop listings.

The MDF etched Poker Chips: This contains ten leaders, six flags for each side plus the Tiffin chip and a blank chip. 34 chips in all.

The card deck: Forty cards. Please not the difference between the 34 chips. The reason for this is that size of the card that they print cards on We were originally going for a 34 card deck but the card manufacturers kindly pointed out that we may as well have 40, as that was a sheet and the cost was, consequently, the same. The cards come in a cardboard tuck box. This is somewhat overkill as I have never used ten leader cards and six command cards in any game i have played and I have played some huge ones. In other words, the chips is not a n option which will see you wanting more. Unless you are a megalomaniac.

Game Tokens. A set of six Present markers, six Uncontrolled volley markers and six broken markers. I have NEVER needed to use this many markers in a game, so again you only need to duplicate if you are going to go HUGE.

Prices.

Rules. I am really, really sorry, but with 20% more pages than Chain of Command and price increases in the three years since that was published, I have had to pass on some of the additional costs. I have swallowed half of the additional costs and I have also tried to compensate by keeping the postage costs at 2008 levels. So ALL the post orders are at a discount rate. I will have the precise sums for postage tomorrow but the rules are £25.00

The cards are £6.00

MDF Poker Chips £5.00

Game Tokens £6.50

List Prices:
£25.00 for the rules
Cards: £6
MDF Chips: £5
Game Tokens: £8.00

I have reduced the cost of the game tokens by £2 to try to compensate for the increased cost of the rules.

Okay, let's talk bundles.

Bundle 1: Rules plus cards, £29
Bundle 2: Rules plus MDF poker chips, £28.00
Bundle 3: Rules plus cards plus tokens, £35
Bundle 4: Rules plus MDF chips plus tokens, £34
Bundle 5: Rules plus cards, plus MDF chips, plus tokens £38

All advanced bundle orders will get a free PDF version of the rules.

Now, based on that, are there any other bundles anyone would like me to make available?

Rich

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Mr.Booger posted:

I went cards, figured if I change my mind I have poker chips I can label or something. Most the videos and AARs have been AWI/Civil War, what are people planning on playing? I have Naps lying around gathering dust so going for those.

Nappy, starting with a neat stroll into Russia, and expanding from there if anyone at the club wants to join with a third or fourth faction.

Russians are taking shape, but I haven't ordered the French yet. I think I will start with a box of line infantry and a box of dragoons.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Gripping Beast is going to demo a mass battle dark ages/medieval game at Salute, might be interesting. I never have time to actually sit and play a demo game but I'll be going around taking pictures and hopefully video as well so I'll try to get this and Sharp Practice.

Mr.Booger
Nov 13, 2004
oh, just thought of a question, for those ranking up individually based models. Does anyone know of a sabbot-style movement tray maker that actually makes them for 1.5mm thick bases (like the ones pictured above from Renedra, or the clears from Litko)? I like the lower profile bases, but seem to only find ones that are 2 layers of 3mm think MDF, so they would sit down in the pocket, and be pretty darn thick all together.

I have a friend with a laser cutting business, but he didn't have anything less than 1/8 acrylic in stock. I might just end up scratchbuilding them, but figured I would throw it out there incase anyone else found such a thing.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Sharp Practice 2 pre-ordered :toot:

Thank goodness it comes with a free PDF version, because it'll be ages before it arrives in Australia.

I went with the cards over the poker ships because I like cards.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

I'm also in witha pre-order. There is a group I've found locally who said they play the original a lot, so I may as well get it.

I'm also one of these sad people who likes reading rules.....

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
So tell me, lads, what are the issues with the Soviets in Flames of War, and how could they be solved/ what it would like if they were more historical?

Endman
May 18, 2010

If it was realistic the Soviets would be better than everyone else :ussr:

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

JcDent posted:

So tell me, lads, what are the issues with the Soviets in Flames of War, and how could they be solved/ what it would like if they were more historical?

I'm not an avid FoW player, but one of them seems to be the designers' assumption that they fought the entire Great Patriotic War by charging forward with huge hordes of infantry and incompetent tank crews, a.k.a. by being Hollywood Soviets.

Endman
May 18, 2010

I have to admit, it's really tempting to paint some AWI Continental minis as the 1st Rhode Island Regiment, just to confuse people.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Ahh, America - Two wars on home turf, and both times some silly bugger has gone off to fight in something that suspiciously looks like the enemies colours.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

lilljonas posted:

I'm not an avid FoW player, but one of them seems to be the designers' assumption that they fought the entire Great Patriotic War by charging forward with huge hordes of infantry and incompetent tank crews, a.k.a. by being Hollywood Soviets.

Yeah, this is the largest thing.

So, first of all, soviet platoons come much bigger than every other army, and are called "Companies". They're obviously fitted into the mould of "the horde army".

Mixing with the above is soviet special rules. We have komissars who practise 40k style summary execution to rally the troops, but more majorly we have Hen and Chicks; Soviet tanks are uniquely bad at moving and shooting and are totally incapable of co-ordinated movement. The description for describes how soviets "blindly" follow their commander, rush men into battle with no training, and mentions their tank losses were "incredible". It's worth keeping in mind that this is unique to the soviets: No other army, regardless of troop quality, has this issue. The polish warsaw resistance's captured tanks don't have this rule.

One other special rule they have is "quality of quantity", and it's worth mentioning that this is because soviets don't get any smoke. Like, at all. Other armies can fire smoke bombardments or smoke shells to cover for assaults: Soviets don't get that. Quality of Quantity, however, is designed to cover for that, by making larger platoons require double the amount of hits to pin them; it's a literal "soviet hordes charging fearlessly into machineguns, hopped up on vodka and communism" move.

Added onto all the above, the soviets generally don't get "unique" units. The lists in the normandy book are, for example, desert rats, 1st infantry, guards or 11th armoured, and are all for specific forces. The listing for the british Lorried Rifles, for example, lets you make Confident Trained 7th armoured or Confident Trained Guards, who also have the Unflappable special rule and are bit pricier. This isn't unique; almost every formation includes costs, ratings, and special rules for 2-3 different divisions or forces. Bridge at Remagen tanks come in 3rd or 9th armoured division. The italy book gives you lists for commonwealth formations, with their own unique special rules, from across half the globe.

The soviets, as you're probably expecting by now, don't get this: They get "A tank list" or "An engineering list", and can take it as confident trained "red army" or fearless trained "guards". There is exactly one list in a soviet book that's there to model a specific force, the 8th Shtraf battalion, and even this is called out as being based on Pyl'cyn's book, rather than a real unit. Adding to this, the western front has a ton of books dedicated to the rolling conflict there: Normandy is it's own book, market garden is, the battle of the bulge is (in two books, and one specifically for bastogne on top), crossing the rhine is... Conversely, the soviets A: Have almost always shared a book with the germans, and B: Have five books to cover everything: Barbarossa (shared with germany, early war only), Eastern Front (shared with germany, finland, and IIRC romania, mid war only) which covers everything in 1942-43, Red Bear (unique to the soviets, late war) covering everything from 1944 to the start of 1945, Desperate Measures (shared with germany) covering the invasion of east germany, and Berlin (shared with germany) covering the battle of berlin.

None of those lists on the soviet side mention specific groups: Even in Berlin, it's "red army" or "guards", and they only have one "unique" list, the shtraf company. Comparatively, in desperate measures where they share a book, the germans get the "enjoy the war" special rule and the unique panzer ausbildungs formations, complete with a list of the ausbildung groups that fought and the ausbildungs 500 unique list. In Grey Wolf, the german counterpart to Red Bear, which is also a set of "generic" lists for the area, they never the less have Kampfgruppe Bake, and about six or seven unique SS divisions, with their own special rules.

So, yeah; the soviets definitely seem to suffer as an unfavourite of the big four. Some of this might be down to a relative paucity of information on soviet forces in some periods... but I really find it hard to believe there's only enough material for one special group.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Grey Hunter posted:

Ahh, America - Two wars on home turf, and both times some silly bugger has gone off to fight in something that suspiciously looks like the enemies colours.

Three.

For me, I've picked units that historically fought during Burgoyne's campaign in the Northeast since that's where I live (and reenact).

As far as Soviets go, taking the commissar rules from 40k and pretending like it was common place is a pet peeve of mine.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Colonial Air Force posted:

Three.

For me, I've picked units that historically fought during Burgoyne's campaign in the Northeast since that's where I live (and reenact).

As far as Soviets go, taking the commissar rules from 40k and pretending like it was common place is a pet peeve of mine.

It's worse than 40k because in 40k you've only killed one dude, rather than gunning down four or five guys in some kind of murder spree as FoW komissars apparently do on the reg.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
I was a bit unhappy about soviet hording in TY but the I was told that Soviets were already poo poo at the tine frame, and that mathammer acrtually favors them.

I pity the loss of any platoon level comand, but that game doesn't need any more rules anyways.

Thank you, guys. So realistic soviet lists would be closer in miniature coubt and training to Germans? I suppose elite, small number crack Germans are also a fiction.

Would there fun variation in forces that would support specific Soviet units?

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

spectralent posted:

So, yeah; the soviets definitely seem to suffer as an unfavourite of the big four. Some of this might be down to a relative paucity of information on soviet forces in some periods... but I really find it hard to believe there's only enough material for one special group.

That excuse might have worked 40 years ago, and somehow I highly doubt that the last rulebook was written back then.

Endman
May 18, 2010

If I was going to reduce the Red Army down to a few core principles for the purposes of wargaming I'd probably emphasise infantry supported tank formations with the infantry riding into battle on the tanks themselves.

I'd completely ignore the ridiculous Commissar nonsense because despite what Hollywood would have you believe, the NKVD didn't go around summarily executing anyone who sneezed in an unpatriotic manner.

The lack of radios in T-34s could be represented by having a rule to represent the commander popping himself out the top to wave a flag around, making him momentarily more vulnerable rather than the amazingly dumb "Hen & Chicks" rule.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Ensign Expendable posted:

That excuse might have worked 40 years ago, and somehow I highly doubt that the last rulebook was written back then.

I did say relative and that it's not a very good excuse. But yeah, there could absolutely be soviet lists that aren't lumped into red army or guards.