Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD
I can't even imagine what it would be like for my last tweet to be a joke about balls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

FitFortDanga posted:

Haven't seen it mentioned here yet, but "I Seem Fun: The Diary of Jen Kirkman" is a delight.

It's on my "check it out" list, my girlfriend binged through all of them and said it's great.

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS

FitFortDanga posted:

Haven't seen it mentioned here yet, but "I Seem Fun: The Diary of Jen Kirkman" is a delight.

I love Jen's comedy and very much hope that I catch her coming through DC someday. Her podcast has become part of my Thursday ritual, and I listen to it on my way to some weekly errands. This week she cracked me up with "Dubstep? I don't even know what that is. Is that what Deadmau5 is?"

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free
Hey Lou, I asked this in the Night Vale thread in GBS, but... are you guys gonna try collaborating again sometime? 'Cause that'd be cool.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time
oh my god fred stoller give it a rest

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Do you smell what The Mauk is cooking?
I've really liked Colt Cabana when he's been a guest on other podcasts, so I've thought about giving The Art of Wrestling a shot. Is there a particularly great episode I can start with to test the water?

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Groucho Marxist posted:

I've really liked Colt Cabana when he's been a guest on other podcasts, so I've thought about giving The Art of Wrestling a shot. Is there a particularly great episode I can start with to test the water?

Do you like wrestling? I'd say just find a name you dig and start with that episode, it's a pretty solid show all the way so you can get a feel of it with a familiar personality and all.

The 100th episode with CM Punk is pretty cool, it's kinda a reverse thing where Punk interviews him and all, but really good because they're legitimate buddies so they have great chemistry.

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

I watched wrestling until the Monday Night Wars ended. So I guess I'll try one with some old guy I recognize. Thanks for the help.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Do you like wrestling? I'd say just find a name you dig and start with that episode, it's a pretty solid show all the way so you can get a feel of it with a familiar personality and all.

The 100th episode with CM Punk is pretty cool, it's kinda a reverse thing where Punk interviews him and all, but really good because they're legitimate buddies so they have great chemistry.

Good Episodes: Kevin Steen (x2), Jake Roberts, Steve Corino, Excalibur, Luke Gallows, Kenny Omega, Daniel Bryan (featuring a very funny story about his attempt to get a great X-Mas gift for his GF back in High School), Rhyno, Daivari (featuring a really sad story about what Daivari did with his Summerslam payout for wrestling Hulk Hogan), and the second Cliff "Domino" Compton episode where talks about wrestling in Nigeria. And yes, the episode where Punk interviews Colt is really good.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Good Episodes: Kevin Steen (x2), Jake Roberts, Steve Corino, Excalibur, Luke Gallows, Kenny Omega, Daniel Bryan (featuring a very funny story about his attempt to get a great X-Mas gift for his GF back in High School), Rhyno, Daivari (featuring a really sad story about what Daivari did with his Summerslam payout for wrestling Hulk Hogan), and the second Cliff "Domino" Compton episode where talks about wrestling in Nigeria. And yes, the episode where Punk interviews Colt is really good.

Yea this is basically the greatest hits list.

Also the Honky Tonk Man episode that he just did is pretty drat good.

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Cool, Honky Tonk Man is the one I downloaded

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

Who is Duncan Trussell and is he any funny on his podcast? They called him up on The Bone Zone and he does this kind of angry back and forth with Brendon and Randy but he's not really funny and doesn't seem very quick, enjoyable from a standpoint of finding him being unfunny while trying to riff on them.

beepo
Oct 8, 2000
Forum Veteran

piratepilates posted:

Who is Duncan Trussell and is he any funny on his podcast? They called him up on The Bone Zone and he does this kind of angry back and forth with Brendon and Randy but he's not really funny and doesn't seem very quick, enjoyable from a standpoint of finding him being unfunny while trying to riff on them.

I tried listening to the podcast he used to do with Natasha Leggero but got sick of his goofy new-agey rants. I think there are lots of other podcasts to check out before Trussells show.

I did really enjoy that episode of the Bone Zone though. "I buy books from charlatans about stretching" is a pretty good zinger on Duncan.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

beepo posted:

I tried listening to the podcast he used to do with Natasha Leggero but got sick of his goofy new-agey rants. I think there are lots of other podcasts to check out before Trussells show.

I did really enjoy that episode of the Bone Zone though. "I buy books from charlatans about stretching" is a pretty good zinger on Duncan.

Bone Zone is one of my fav podcasts these days, I like how it's just a chill unstructured goof around time with these two dopey comedians playing these exaggerated stupid characters. They had an entire episode where they just called people in their address books up and told them to suck it over and over again until they hung up and it was one of the best episodes of a podcast I've heard. That show needs more attention.

The "fight" between Trussel and Brandy though reminds me of that twitter "fight" between Marc Maron and Michael Ian Black a while ago though (although I only heard it from when Matt Besser read through it on an episode of I4H) where one side does the insult thing by actually going hard and trying to insult the other while the other side just takes an aloof and innocent stance and it makes the insulting guy seem like a dum dum in contrast.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

beepo posted:

I wasn't sure who he was but I really enjoyed their impressions of him. "Heyyy mann!"

I really like the Bone Zone episodes with guests, they've had some good ones lately. Melissa Villasenor from a few weeks ago did two episodes, she was cracking up the whole time and it was infectious. Brendon and Randy have a really weird, funny dynamic going on and it's fun to hear someone else in the room reacting to it.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

piratepilates posted:

Bone Zone is one of my fav podcasts these days, I like how it's just a chill unstructured goof around time with these two dopey comedians playing these exaggerated stupid characters. They had an entire episode where they just called people in their address books up and told them to suck it over and over again until they hung up and it was one of the best episodes of a podcast I've heard. That show needs more attention.
Hell yeah the show is great. And oh man do you remember which episode that was, I haven't heard that one.

I haven't listened to all the episodes, but my favorite phone call so far has been #65 with Johnny Pemberton, where they call up a Pier One or something looking for a "eucalyptix chair". It goes into really weird territory but still keeps going and going without the employee hanging up on them.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

RightClickSaveAs posted:

Hell yeah the show is great. And oh man do you remember which episode that was, I haven't heard that one.

I haven't listened to all the episodes, but my favorite phone call so far has been #65 with Johnny Pemberton, where they call up a Pier One or something looking for a "eucalyptix chair". It goes into really weird territory but still keeps going and going without the employee hanging up on them.

The first episode of their new season of course!

That one was great too, that's one of the things I love about the show, how it's just this loose alternative improv environment that just kind of exists to build and is thrown against other people who aren't in on the premise so you end up with them just doing weird stuff like bugging pier one employees or doing a weird internet translated conversation with a random chinese person.

And I am so happy to learn that Matt Farley is a real dude who really does just have thousands of songs on spotify for every single situation you could think of.

edit: I just remembered the best part of the eucalyptix chair episode is them blaring that elephant sound effect over and over again with the person on the other end of the line not really caring.

piratepilates fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Jul 17, 2013

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

Killer line up on You Made It Weird today.

GraPar
Jun 2, 2011

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

Just came here to post that. Lives up to it as well, insanely funny episode. Mulaney and Mantzoukas such powerhouses.

Ziltoid
Dec 31, 2010

Thank you you so much for this, I was literally crying with laughter on my way to work. I have no idea why that was so funny.

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

It really was, but I got creeped out by Pete calling Chris Thayer "Weird Boy" over and over and over again. I know he's just kidding, but it felt very uncomfortable by the 18th time he referred to a friend, who remained silent through a 2 hour show, by some jerky nickname. I wanted Chris to say something back to cut the tension, but like Jeselnek said: It's hard to be friends with your boss and vice-versa.

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything

piratepilates posted:

Brendon and Johnny Pemberton were on Duncan's podcast recently where they were really going hard on alternative comics and dishonest comedians in general in their shticky way. I don't really listen to the Family Hour for the reasons you mentioned yourself, but Duncan is a better guest then he is a host so keep that in mind.

And aside from Your Mom's House, the Bone Zone is my favorite podcast by a large margin.

I miss Dr. Davey :(

-Atom- fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Jul 19, 2013

Binowru
Feb 15, 2007

I never set out to be weird. It was always other people who called me weird.

-Atom- posted:

I miss Dr. Davey :(

I don't know what happened between Davey and Randy, but they always use to appear at The Tomorrow! Show in Los Angeles as The Door Knockers. They were stupendously funny and I wish they'd reunite. :(

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

So this 230PST podcast. Is it just a video podcast for us to watch people tweet? I don't think I understand this, but at least Katie Dippold is still adorable.

Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007
Tim Heidecker is behind it so it's probably some classic anti-comedy that's just going way over your head! :downs:

I watched some of it a few months ago and from what I saw it's just them talking about tweets while a band makes sound effects after every sentence. I assumed it was just that episode but I guess that's their thing.

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

All I know about 230PST is Jon Daly sang Rusty Cage on the show and it was amazing.

Binowru
Feb 15, 2007

They got Jason Mantzoukas to tweet for the first time ever during this episode, so there's that. (He's since deleted his account)

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?
Turns out John Hodgman's Ayn Rand impression is way funnier in the form of a short New Yorker article than as a comedy podcast.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
I don't know if anyone here listens to The Long Shot (it is a podcast,) but man does that show's chemistry rely on having all four people present. Without Eddie to stir it up and be made fun of... the latest episode is so drat depressing.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

I enjoy Jeff Garlin's podcast, but he really needs to let go of the "big bowl of ____" thing.

tnimark
Dec 22, 2009
You're a big bowl of right about that.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?

left to right: Sexy Blind Justice, Judge John Hodgman, Bailiff Jesse Thorn

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

FitFortDanga posted:

I enjoy Jeff Garlin's podcast, but he really needs to let go of the "big bowl of ____" thing.

Don't be such a Negative Johnson.

Bunk Rogers
Mar 14, 2002

The Berzerker posted:

Don't be such a Negative Johnson.

REALLY?!

bango skank
Jan 15, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
For anyone who listens to Nerd Poker(dungeons & dragons with bp & f), I just powered through the back catalog and can't seem to figure out when it is they post new episodes. It's been almost a week and I've been checking daily and haven't seen anything yet.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!

bango skank posted:

For anyone who listens to Nerd Poker(dungeons & dragons with bp & f), I just powered through the back catalog and can't seem to figure out when it is they post new episodes. It's been almost a week and I've been checking daily and haven't seen anything yet.

They missed this week it's usually every wednesday.

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(

FitFortDanga posted:

I like it too but its far from an intimate conversation between friends like the description says.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Well, I've pretty much exhausted MBMBAM and UYD (I'm the sort of guy who always has to have something playing in the background when I'm working or even just playing a game), love them both.
Any recommendations? Generally whenever I hear other comedy podcasts from Maximum Fun advertised on MBMBAM, they sound really unfunny (though I do enjoy some of the shows that the brothers do other than MBMBAM, like Sawbones seems promising).
I saw talk of "Sick & Wrong" earlier in the thread from people who also seemed into UYD, so I might try that out.

Binowru
Feb 15, 2007

TheFallenEvincar posted:

Well, I've pretty much exhausted MBMBAM and UYD (I'm the sort of guy who always has to have something playing in the background when I'm working or even just playing a game), love them both.
Any recommendations? Generally whenever I hear other comedy podcasts from Maximum Fun advertised on MBMBAM, they sound really unfunny (though I do enjoy some of the shows that the brothers do other than MBMBAM, like Sawbones seems promising).
I saw talk of "Sick & Wrong" earlier in the thread from people who also seemed into UYD, so I might try that out.

The Pod F. Tompkast and Welcome to Night Vale are pretty much required listening.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

My two favorite funny podcasts besides MBMBAM are Walking the Room and the Comedy Button, give them a listen. They are not for everyone though.

• Locked thread