Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bigmandan
Sep 11, 2001

lol internet
College Slice

kitten smoothie posted:

The screen is gorgeous and the device is fast.

I bought one in December. It had pretty awful battery life and I returned it after a week, but in hindsight I may have gotten a bad device and should have looked into RMAing it because I have yet to see anyone else with the sort of problems mine had.

Confirming that the screen is amazing. Co-worker has it and i'm very jealous. Text is super crisp, web browsing looks awesome, and video playback is really smooth. If your into the magazine thing, they look stunning on the display. The only issue I saw with it was the very occasional stutter, probably due to trying to push so many pixels. As far as battery life goes, my co-workers says he gets decent time out of it. I'd get one myself but I already have the nexus 4 and 7.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Yeah, the Nexus 10 really shines at magazines, where the high res screen and widescreen size means you can have two pages at a time in the 2-up layout and still be able to easily read text fully zoomed out.

I found on the Nexus 7 I have to zoom in order to clearly see text, which means you have to drag the page around and wait while it repaints. That really cramps my style when trying to read an article.

Shannow
Aug 30, 2003

Frumious Bandersnatch
Re: pogo charger for the nexus 10 - charges a fuckload faster and even charges whilst playing games, I recommend. Just wish an official version/dock would come out.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

nrr posted:

The only problem is that I live about 2 hours away from any stores that I can try either out at and I don't get the chance to make that trip often. I guess the reason I was interested in a Nexus over an ipad was the price, and I didn't really want to spend $500 on a tablet. I guess if I want to tick all my boxes then I'm going to just have to go for it, I'm just really reluctant to pull the trigger.

I guess back to my original question, do many of you think the Nexus 10 is worth the extra $200 over the 7? If so, how do you think the 10 stacks up against an ipad?

http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/specialdeals/ipad/ipad3

$409 for iPad 3, $419 for a iPad 5. Often time's you can get a 3 for $350. Apple refurbs are basically new devices. I'm an Android fanboy but if you want an iPad, get an iPad.

What is your use case really determines the answer. If you want to just browse the web and read books a little the 7 is best. Do you have an iPhone or Android phone, what tasks do you want to replace from your phone/laptop? What new tasks do you envision doing?

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

Stick100 posted:

If you want to just browse the web and read books a little the 7 is best.
This is completely wrong. The 10 is superior for both of these because of the better screen. I thought the 7 was fine until I got the 10, and it makes the 7's screen look like trash. The 7 is still fine for playing games and a few other things, but if I'm going to do any kind of reading or browsing I usually grab my 10. If the new 7 comes out with the high-resolution screen like everyone is hoping, then it will be fine for just about everything.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

This is completely wrong. The 10 is superior for both of these because of the better screen. I thought the 7 was fine until I got the 10, and it makes the 7's screen look like trash. The 7 is still fine for playing games and a few other things, but if I'm going to do any kind of reading or browsing I usually grab my 10. If the new 7 comes out with the high-resolution screen like everyone is hoping, then it will be fine for just about everything.

It depends on what you're looking for. The 10 has a better screen by far, but the 7 still doesn't have a bad screen at all (215 PPI for text isn't perfect but it's still far from blurry unless you use extremely small fonts), and for reading books the small size and low weight can definitely be preferable. Honestly I think the 10 is better for browsing and the 7 is better for books, but they both do both jobs pretty well with some sacrifices for each.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

I posted this already in the tablet recommendation thread but got no response:

I'm considering getting a Nexus 10 16GB. I'll use it mostly for browsing, maybe media and some (Awful) developing.

How good is the multi-user support?

How is the 'retina' support of market apps?

Is this still a thing or did they fix the lag:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dt1ZKiZaem8&t=78s

If I get it, should I order the smart cover with it? Will I need a screen protector?

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)

Sereri posted:

I'm considering getting a Nexus 10 16GB. I'll use it mostly for browsing, maybe media and some (Awful) developing.

If I get it, should I order the smart cover with it? Will I need a screen protector?

On my Nexus 7, the verge generally lags depending on the browser i was using, but it seems to have been fixed with newer browser versions.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

Sereri posted:

It works? I haven't messed with it much, do you have more specific questions?

Sereri posted:

Still terrible, but slightly-less so.

Sereri posted:

It's a "thing" in that The Verge website is terrible. I think Chrome has gotten better so it's probably not as bad. I don't get that problem, but I don't go to The Verge site, either.

Sereri posted:

The smart cover is nice enough, and if you have a soft surface to set it on you can use it to prop up the tablet, but you don't really need it. You should know if you need a screen protector. I don't use one, but my tablet stays indoors.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

It works? I haven't messed with it much, do you have more specific questions?
Basically, how separated are the accounts from one another. Do I need to reset the whole thing every 2 months because one account messed up everything.

Still terrible, but slightly-less so.

It's a "thing" in that The Verge website is terrible. I think Chrome has gotten better so it's probably not as bad. I don't get that problem, but I don't go to The Verge site, either.
Well that is nice to hear.

The smart cover is nice enough, and if you have a soft surface to set it on you can use it to prop up the tablet, but you don't really need it. You should know if you need a screen protector. I don't use one, but my tablet stays indoors.
It'll probably stay indoors, I guess I'll get the cover but no protector then.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Mister Fister posted:

On my Nexus 7, the verge generally lags depending on the browser i was using, but it seems to have been fixed with newer browser versions.

The Verge still manages to freeze solid my Ivy Bridge notebook for about 20 seconds when it loads sometimes. I don't think we can look at The Verge as any sort of benchmark in lagginess, just a benchmark for bad code.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

Sereri posted:

Basically, how separated are the accounts from one another. Do I need to reset the whole thing every 2 months because one account messed up everything.

It'll probably stay indoors, I guess I'll get the cover but no protector then.
I've only tried the multiple-user thing for dicking around, so maybe someone else can help you out there, but I don't really know why it would make a difference.

I only bought the smart cover because "hey, new thing!" It's cool how it snaps in and it covers just the screen in case you want to use the tablet like a portable speaker. The bad thing about the cover is it makes the whole thing slightly more awkward to hold since you either have to hold the cover which doesn't have the nice feel of the tablet's back or just the tablet and have the cover flop around loose. The cover also doesn't have any kind of locking mechanism to keep it shut, but that doesn't seem to matter in practice.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Its not just the verge. I just returned a nexus 7 because its just too drat janky. Inconsistent scrolling, lag on websites, exactly what they show on that nexus 10 review but on sites other than the verge. The verge actually worked pretty well on the nexus 7.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

Don Lapre posted:

Its not just the verge. I just returned a nexus 7 because its just too drat janky. Inconsistent scrolling, lag on websites, exactly what they show on that nexus 10 review but on sites other than the verge. The verge actually worked pretty well on the nexus 7.
I haven't noticed that on my 7, but I don't really use it for websites. I set a reminder to try it when I get home. Good on you for returning it anyway, since the new one oughtta be out soon.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Don Lapre posted:

This is definitely not a thing with the N7 in general, maybe you had a bad unit or it needed a factory reset.

I actually just ordered a N10 since my boss decided I should go to Seattle for a week and I decided I need something to make the trip less tedious. I have a N7 but it's a little small to watch movies on.

Which reminds me, can the N10 do HDMI out? What do I need to do it?

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

Tunga posted:

Which reminds me, can the N10 do HDMI out? What do I need to do it?
A micro HDMI cable. There's some problems with it, though. I haven't tried since then.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Don Lapre posted:

This is not something we hear about the N7 in general. It sounds like maybe your device had other problems?

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
The Tegra 3 is pretty anemic by today's standards but web browsing is definitely not intensive. Definitely sounds like another issue to me.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Based on the lack of any new device at I/O, and the fact that I keep finding myself wishing I had a mobile-friendly device with power (my Galaxy S II is a slog and my Chromebook roars with fan power when a Flash video goes over five minutes), I decided to go ahead and sink money into a Nexus 10.

Please don't replace it in the next month, Google.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

I haven't noticed that on my 7, but I don't really use it for websites. I set a reminder to try it when I get home. Good on you for returning it anyway, since the new one oughtta be out soon.
Ok I'm home and had a chance to mess around with my tablets side-by-side and the 7 definitely is janky in Chrome. The 10 performs significantly better and even The Verge's website runs smoothly. I also tested HDMI output on the 10 and it's working properly now, but I'm a little miffed that it only outputs at 1920x1080 and not 1920x1200. 2560x1600 would be ideal but I don't think the HDMI ports on the Nexus 10 or my monitors can handle that resolution.

revolther
May 27, 2008
Yes, better than your current hardware can handle would truly be ideal.

Jack_tripper
Jun 7, 2009
until the nexus 10 outputs 8k UHD I'm not interested

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

revolther posted:

Yes, better than your current hardware can handle would truly be ideal.
I have two U3011s, which have a native resolution of 2560x1600, the same as the Nexus 10.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Refurb 32GB Nexus 10 for $380 on Woot. $120 off is not a bad deal.

http://tech.woot.com/offers/google-nexus-10-32gb-tablet-1

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich
I'm playing with a nexus 7 right now and it's definitely janky on pretty much every website. Not terrible, but noticeable. Maybe different people have different expectations/standards?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

randyest posted:

I'm playing with a nexus 7 right now and it's definitely janky on pretty much every website. Not terrible, but noticeable. Maybe different people have different expectations/standards?

See that was my experience even though people told me it wasn't true. Maybe the 7.7 or whatever it is will be better. Maybe i just notice it more because i was coming from an ipad.

Don Lapre fucked around with this message at 20:42 on May 29, 2013

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask this,but here goes:

I just got this tablet, (Visual Land running ICS), and its everything I need. The only problem is that there doesn't seem to have a basic english dictionary! There's about three or four words in this post, so far, that haven't come up as misspellings. The autocorrect suggestions are all the first or last names of people in my contact list, which is pretty annoying.

Is there any way to download a dictionary? Maybe just copy one from my Android phone?

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

What would be a good tablet whose sole duty will be playing Play Music or Spotify on a stereo via bluetooth. It will sit in place on top of entertainment center and be touched only to select music and stuff related to that.

Cheaper is better, but I don't want something with a piece of poo poo screen that won't respond well to touch input. As much as I always recommend the N7 for people looking for a cheap tablet, it seems like maybe this is one of those niche use cases where a cheap chinese tablet will work great. Maybe?

If a cheap chinese tablet would work, I know nothing about them and don't know which one would work well. And by "work well", I mean has bluetooth that functions and a screen that responds to touch input reliably.

I guess a 10"-class tablet would be better just so that it's easier to see what's playing from across the room, but whatever.

Maybe the N7 is still the best idea here...someone who has messed around with cheap tablets might be able to say more.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Edit: sorry, wrong thread. I meant to post to the android app thread!

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Thermopyle posted:

What would be a good tablet whose sole duty will be playing Play Music or Spotify on a stereo via bluetooth. It will sit in place on top of entertainment center and be touched only to select music and stuff related to that.

Cheaper is better, but I don't want something with a piece of poo poo screen that won't respond well to touch input. As much as I always recommend the N7 for people looking for a cheap tablet, it seems like maybe this is one of those niche use cases where a cheap chinese tablet will work great. Maybe?

If a cheap chinese tablet would work, I know nothing about them and don't know which one would work well. And by "work well", I mean has bluetooth that functions and a screen that responds to touch input reliably.

I guess a 10"-class tablet would be better just so that it's easier to see what's playing from across the room, but whatever.

Maybe the N7 is still the best idea here...someone who has messed around with cheap tablets might be able to say more.

Walmart has a $99 7" tablet now. The Sero 7 LT. Just buy that.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Thermopyle posted:

I would shop around and pick up a used Nexus 7 from Ebay or Craiglist.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

Thermopyle posted:

N7 probably. You can probably pick up an iphone 3g/super old ipod for like $50 (google play might be an issue). Something like an old EVO 4g might work (found one for $60). Don't forget you want a good DAC so don't cheap out too much.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Stick100 posted:

N7 probably. You can probably pick up an iphone 3g/super old ipod for like $50 (google play might be an issue). Something like an old EVO 4g might work (found one for $60). Don't forget you want a good DAC so don't cheap out too much.

Would the DAC even matter with bluetooth streaming?

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Don Lapre posted:

Walmart has a $99 7" tablet now. The Sero 7 LT. Just buy that.

Not to beat a dead horse or stir up the 7" tablet debate again, but both that and the Sero 7 Pro have been getting decent reviews from forum users at androidcentral.com - not sure how credible that site is though. As an aside, I picked up 3 Sero 7 Pros and 2 LTs to send to my less fortunate relatives in the Philippines.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!
Those are the tablets that have 4 and 8 gb of storage right? Is that just not a big deal because of the SD card slot?

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Those are the tablets that have 4 and 8 gb of storage right? Is that just not a big deal because of the SD card slot?

Yeah, the small internal storage is offset by the microSD slot. You can pick up 16-32GB Class 6 microSD cards for $15-$25.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

The main problem is applications cannot be wholly installed to the SD card, so if you run out of internal space, you don't get to install anything else.

Plasmafountain
Jun 17, 2008

Thought I'd echo Goz's post a page or two back: my cheap chinese tablet is absolutely fantastic. I found Carmaggedon on the play store and played that for three hours straight last night.

Benchmarking of my tablet here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3461482&pagenumber=203&perpage=40#post414641721

This thread definitely gives life to the phrase "If the only tool you have is a hammer then every problem looks like a nail".

Plasmafountain fucked around with this message at 03:56 on May 30, 2013

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Received my N10 last night. The screen is really awesome, text is super crisp although I can't say I find reading on it to be any more comfortable than on an N7, it's effectively the same for me. HD movies look great, this thing is going to be a godsend for long-haul flights instead of using those lovely tiny screens that BA put into the seatbacks, and I didn't even realise it had HDMI out when I ordered it so that's a nice bonus. Still waiting for my cable to arrive to test that, I've heard that there are some compatibility issues so we'll see.

One thing that surprised me is that it has haptic feedback. That's something which I always missed on the N7. I asked an Apple-mad colleague if the iPad has it and he said that it does but I've never used one with it turned on, is he right? Have previous Android tablets included this? I find it makes typing a lot easier somehow.

On that note, the stock keyboard is completely unusable in landscape mode so I need to find something that works better. Portrait is pretty comfortable though.

Another good thing over the N7 for movies/TV is the front facing speakers, you can actually hear the things at low volume.

Unfortunately there is still a lack of tablet-optimised apps. I knew this already from the N7 but it really shows up on the bigger screen.

Tunga fucked around with this message at 13:43 on May 30, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Your colleague was incorrect; the iPad does not have haptic feedback. It does not have a vibration motor in it.