Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I dug Guy Pearce as The Red Skull. It seemed like every single character in that movie walked in from a completely different movie, some literally, in Gary Oldman's case. He even has a "see ya later, movie!" scene.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Wikipedia is telling me Mia Wasikowska was in the movie, but I'm assuming that's an editorial mistake.

Sir Kodiak fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Oct 7, 2015

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I dug Guy Pearce as The Red Skull. It seemed like every single character in that movie walked in from a completely different movie, some literally, in Gary Oldman's case. He even has a "see ya later, movie!" scene.

Uh wasn't that Hugo Weaving?

e. nm thought you were talking about Captain America or some poo poo

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Watch Lawless and tell me I'm wrong.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Sir Kodiak posted:

WIkipedia is telling me Mia Wasikowska was in the movie, but I'm assuming that's an editorial mistake.
I remember Shia trying to clean her feet and then vomiting
or something

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I think Shia is fine in movies but I never watched Crystal Skull and won't. It's real life where he just can't prevent himself from being a complete chode.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

It's also probably backlash from the mid-2000s where he it felt like he was shoehorned into every loving movie, like Bay, Spielberg, Lucas and Scott decided "this kid is going to be a star, whether the audiences want it or not." I think it peaked with Indiana Jones 4, where the collective response was "oh just gently caress off."

I'll put my hand up and admit that my dislike of him stems from that, and I still want him to gently caress off.

edogawa rando fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Oct 7, 2015

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
Related, but do people still feel similarly to DiCaprio or has the Titanic hate wore off now that he's in (other) good movies?

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

computer parts posted:

Related, but do people still feel similarly to DiCaprio or has the Titanic hate wore off now that he's in (other) good movies?

I personally think DiCaprio is really just coming into what he can really do. I mean he's always been a fine actor, but goddamn he is SO baby-faced that it's been really hard to take him seriously until he finally started to age a bit. I think his career (at least performance wise) is just about to get started.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

computer parts posted:

DiCaprio and McCaugnehey had real similar careers that way.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
I think I probably have more affection for Shia than Leo

Wapole Languray
Jul 4, 2012

Yeah, Leonardo got way more interesting once he started getting weathered and playing mentally unbalanced people.

And I think Shia will be a pretty good actor when he isn't working with late-era Spielburg and Micheal Bay quality material. (Yes, I know people here like Bay. He is a really drat good action director, but goddamn to say he's inconsistent on quality of characters would be an understatement)

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Why are we comparing these guys Leo has been a straight-up A List star from the very beginning. He's in a whole other echelon than Shia. It's like comparing Tom Brady and Tim Tebow.

Also the Leo hate comes more from Romeo and Juliet in my opinion.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

kiimo posted:

Why are we comparing these guys Leo has been a straight-up A List star from the very beginning. He's in a whole other echelon than Shia. It's like comparing Tom Brady and Tim Tebow.

Oh man Romeo and Juliet is actually one of Leo's better roles to me. It suited his age and acting perfectly. And there's no Leo hate from me, I trust basically whatever movie he is in. It's just a bit hard to get past that damned baby face sometimes.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I always thought he was great but was still on the fence if I actually hated him or not, and then Catch Me If You Can came out and I was like drat this kid is just aces every time.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
I don't know how anyone can hate Leo. I don't think I've ever seen him in anything where I didn't like it.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

kiimo posted:

Late 90's~early 2000s when he was a "teen heart-throb," stemming from Titanic and Man in the Iron Mask. I also loving hated The Beach (seriously, gently caress that loving movie). It was Catch Me If You Can and the start of his Scorsese collaboration that won me back. He also wasn't as ubiquitous in a short span of time like Shia was either.

edogawa rando fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Oct 7, 2015

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

kiimo posted:

I always thought he was great but was still on the fence if I actually hated him or not, and then Catch Me If You Can came out and I was like drat this kid is just aces every time.

If you haven't read that book, by the way, you totally should. It's more focused on the brilliantly bonkers stuff Frank pulled off than the emotional story the movie became (but I still liked it). A really short and really cool read.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

He also didn't do jacked up poo poo in public like Shia and his stupid art project where he claimed he was raped or getting kicked out of Broadway shows for being a drunken loudmouth or getting arrested for assault with a deadly weapon or blatantly plagiarizing the Ghost World dude and apologizing for it with a plagiarization of Yahoo answers or that weird pedophile dance with the little girl from the Sia video.

Nope instead Leo spends his freetime railing supermodels like a star should.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Wait. Maybe Shia is actually a character that Leo is playing. Shia is the art project. Think about it. You never see them in the same room at the same time.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

An interesting theory but let's be honest Shia can't get into the same rooms as Leo.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Leo was always great, he's been in bad movies, but I've never seen him put in a bad performance. Even from the beginning in stuff like Gilbert Grape he was clearly the stand-out part. In contrast I don't think I've ever seen Shia be good in anything

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Hakkesshu posted:

In contrast I don't think I've ever seen Shia be good in anything

His youtube stuff is his greatest work to date

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Wait are we suppose to not like The Man in the Iron Mask? I thought that was excellent film and adaptation. Leio was great in it.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Hakkesshu posted:

Leo was always great, he's been in bad movies, but I've never seen him put in a bad performance. Even from the beginning in stuff like Gilbert Grape he was clearly the stand-out part. In contrast I don't think I've ever seen Shia be good in anything

Shia was extremely good in Fury. Leo's been trying to recapture Gilbert Grape buzz for his entire career.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Shia was extremely good in Fury.

Leo has carved out a niche of playing playboys which he's really good at, but I've never really liked him in any other type of role. He just alternates between glowers and screams when he's not doing the playboy schtick. It's not bad, but I've never bought him as "one of the modern greats." He's good. Above-average even. But he's not great.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I am making fun of the guys looks but honestly I just never buy him as an adult man. Romeo Montague? Yes. Frank Abignale Jr.? Definitely. J. Edgar Hoover? Not on your life.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Leo is pretty good but I was never super impressed with him until Wolf of Wall Street.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

Leo is pretty good but I was never super impressed with him until Wolf of Wall Street.

Yeah that was his first role where I felt like he was starting to kind of age appropriately. That was a good movie.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

BonoMan posted:

Yeah that was his first role where I felt like he was starting to kind of age appropriately. That was a good movie.

Yeah, because in that, he's not really playing a grownup.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Hollismason posted:

Wait are we suppose to not like The Man in the Iron Mask? I thought that was excellent film and adaptation. Leio was great in it.

Well him doing the dual roles was good, I'm not a big fan of the overall movie though. The 1993 3 Musketeers is way more fun, and that ~2000 Musketeer movie with the wire-fu stuff is really cool.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
I remember Man in the Iron Mask as a good movie.

But then I remembered The Devil's Advocate as a good movie too until I recently rewatched it.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

If you don't think Devil's Advocate is a good movie any day of the week then :frogout:

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
God drat that Triple 9 red band trailer was good.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Sometimes actors can be bad and you still love them for it. Case in point: I love anything with Bill Paxton but am not surprised when people think he sucks. I am quite fond of Keanu Reeves as well, but watching him trying to keep up with Al Pacino in Devil's Advocate was painful. I enjoyed the film though.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

:lol: if you think anyone could have kept up with Pacino on that.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Enjoy this fun bad movie clip.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ivzgwTLAcWA

And then enjoy this fun bad trailer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vao5rn7OHPo

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

kiimo posted:

Enjoy this fun bad movie clip.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ivzgwTLAcWA

And then enjoy this fun bad trailer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vao5rn7OHPo

That trailer isn't for an actual movie right?

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I do not know tbh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

That trailer isn't for an actual movie right?

Nah it's a fake trailer.

• Locked thread