Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

AstroZamboni posted:

Think again. I'm running 9.3 Beta 3 and I'm still encountering this bug.

Latest public release of awful, iPhone 5s.

Absolutely positive you're talking about the same bug that I was? Because I did address two different bugs in that post, and several people (myself included) have been unable to reproduce it as of beta 3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

Diabolik900 posted:

Absolutely positive you're talking about the same bug that I was? Because I did address two different bugs in that post, and several people (myself included) have been unable to reproduce it as of beta 3.

I'm on 9.3 Beta 3 and I can't reproduce it now either. :shrug:.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

Currently crashing on my 6s... Nothing has changed as far as I can tell in the time sinc the it was working fin the this morning.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

zenintrude posted:

Currently crashing on my 6s... Nothing has changed as far as I can tell in the time sinc the it was working fin the this morning.
Ditto, same thing is happening on my iPhone 6. Tried rebooting the phone, no luck.

Number19
May 14, 2003

HOCKEY OWNS
FUCK YEAH

The "Jump to another forum" drop down list at the bottom of every forums page has a bug where it randomly stops listing all the forums and only lists the major ones. When this happens the main forums display in the app will crash. The app author said recently that he's going to add a better handler for this situation to stop the crashing.

The issue used to be rare but is happening more often lately. It might be related to the recent work on modernizing the forums infrastructure by zen death robot. When it starts happening the incomplete drop down seems to get cached for a while so if it's happening (as it is right now) you have to ride it out.

E: as I posted this the drop down repopulated...

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer
I was getting the app crash from the subforum drop downs. I tried deleting the app and reinstalling, now it's working fine.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Just to make this clear since the crash keeps bringing in more people:

If you are experiencing a crash when loading the main forum list, don't uninstall the app and don't sign out; those won't help. You can use any of the following workarounds until pokeyman gets a new release out:

Diabolik900 posted:

Anything that lets you avoid the main forum listing should get you around the crash. If you know the ID number of a forum, you could go to awful://forums/<ID> in Safari to jump to it in Awful.

anthonypants posted:

Didn't someone say you could 3d touch into the favorites from the home screen to get around the crash, too

UIApplication posted:

Getting the crash but found a workaround (if you are still logged in)

Home screen -> airplane mode -> launch -> favorites -> un-airplane mode

Ymmv based on how many favorites you have I guess. You could go onto the web, star some threads, do the trick above, refresh favorites and :justpost:

Diabolik900 posted:

Just keep trying it every so often. It will eventually work once whatever causes it on the forums side mysteriously corrects itself again.

Aphrodite posted:

Just keep checking the "Jump to another forum" dropbox in the bottom left. When it has the forums listed instead of just the categories, you'll be able to login to the app.

LampkinsMateSteve
Jan 1, 2005

I've really fucked it. Have I fucked it?
I was getting the crashing again — airplane mode and loading a bookmarked thread fixed it. But strangely enough, I only read bookmarked threads 99.99% of the time. And it was my bookmarks showing while the crash was happening.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
Yeah I'm getting the crash too now. Used to only happen every now and then; for the last few hours it's happened whenever I go to the main menu, as soon as the loading circle disappears, I'm unable to change subforums.

edit: it passed eventually.

Kazzah fucked around with this message at 07:23 on Feb 22, 2016

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
loving radium

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

the app isn't set up to take advantage of ssl yet right? I've noticed a couple picture hosts showing up that don't work on my PC using https / ssl.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

baram. posted:

the app isn't set up to take advantage of ssl yet right? I've noticed a couple picture hosts showing up that don't work on my PC using https / ssl.

It is using TLS in beta, at least. Not sure about App Store version.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Is there a reason the Awful App keeps crashing every single time I go to the main forums menu? Because it's been happening A loving LOT for the last several days and it's starting to piss me off. I'm stuck browsing the forums from my Bookmarks menu over here.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson posted:

Is there a reason the Awful App keeps crashing every single time I go to the main forums menu? Because it's been happening A loving LOT for the last several days and it's starting to piss me off. I'm stuck browsing the forums from my Bookmarks menu over here.

we apologise for the poor reception some customers have had with our innovative "crash all the time" feature. if you really aren't enjoying the new awful experience, please contact customer services to arrange a full refund.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson posted:

There's a bug on the forums themselves where the "Jump to another forum" dropdown only shows the top-level categories (Main, Discussion, etc.) instead of showing all the subforums. The issue occurs sporadically, and doesn't seem to affect everyone. Nobody seems to know why it happens, but it seems to be happening more frequently in the last couple weeks.

When this issue pops up, it causes the app to crash, because the app scrapes it's list of forums from that dropdown menu. Pokeyman has fixed the app to not crash when this bug occurs, but I don't know if he's submitted it to the App Store yet.

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Soricidus posted:

if you really aren't enjoying the new awful experience, please contact customer services to arrange a full refund.

:lol:

World Kraid Center
Oct 18, 2009
i am entering my password into the app and it tells me Problem Logging In; inputting my social security and credit cards also don't do anything

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
You have to send a scan of your passport also.

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
It seems the 20 year old forums software is doing some odd crap

CORN NOG
Sep 25, 2003

eh, better than wadded beef i guess?

Would it be possible to make the "keep scrolling at the bottom of the page to go to the next one" thing less sensitive? Or maybe put in some sort of delay (something like, when you're scrolling and you hit the end of the page, it doesn't trigger until it comes to a stop and you pull up again?) I keep missing the last couple posts on every page, because I apparently scroll too fast :(

If neither of those are doable, could we at least get an option to turn it off in settings? (There's page navigation stuff at the bottom of the screen anyway, so it's kind of superfluous)

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

CORN NOG posted:

Would it be possible to make the "keep scrolling at the bottom of the page to go to the next one" thing less sensitive? Or maybe put in some sort of delay (something like, when you're scrolling and you hit the end of the page, it doesn't trigger until it comes to a stop and you pull up again?) I keep missing the last couple posts on every page, because I apparently scroll too fast :(

If neither of those are doable, could we at least get an option to turn it off in settings? (There's page navigation stuff at the bottom of the screen anyway, so it's kind of superfluous)

I second this - I do the same thing constantly.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

New version is nice, not crashing. :)

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

I never did get a crash on the old one. Guess I was just lucky.

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

I rarely venture outside of my precious bookmarks.php, but thanks for the quick turnaround on a fix :tipshat:

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

`Nemesis posted:

I second this - I do the same thing constantly.

Ditto

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

`Nemesis posted:

Never seen this before, trying to read the last 10 posts in eastern_europe.gfv thread and awful crashes while loading the thread.

iPhone 6+, current iOS (9.2.1?), current version of awful 3.10

Will check it out.

UIApplication posted:

Re the scroll to end - pull to refresh:

If you scroll to end, the tableview will simply not stubbornly scroll to the y offset to trigger that state switch for what looks like the section/table footer (with the rotating arrow or whatever it is now). If I were to guess what was going on, it looks like once the scroll to end button is tapped, a flag is set and the tableview is applying a static y offset in scrollviewDidScroll.

However, scrolling up at all unfucks this and after that you can pull to refresh. I might be filling in blanks where I shouldnt but I have also noticed a little more success in opening links in the pushed webview after scrolling up as well (there may be some lineup with whether that shortcut bar at the top where scroll to end lives being fully visible)

I think it's the top bar fighting with the pull-to-refresh. The top bar would effectively apply that y-offset you're describing. I do want to redo that top bar in a more sensible way and fix this issue too.

carry on then posted:

e: and the 3.10 dSYM is there, you didn't forget. Now I know where to look.

Nah I uploaded it as I was posting.

Diabolik900 posted:

Anything that lets you avoid the main forum listing should get you around the crash. If you know the ID number of a forum, you could go to awful://forums/<ID> in Safari to jump to it in Awful.

For future reference, there's also awful://bookmarks and awful://settings.

baram. posted:

It should be going over https. I think Safari is a bit more forgiving of mixed content right now, so if you're not using Safari on your PC it's not quite an even comparison.

CORN NOG posted:

Should be possible, yep. I like the second suggestion you make.

quote:

(There's page navigation stuff at the bottom of the screen anyway, so it's kind of superfluous)

But it feels so good.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

I'm seeing a slightly cutoff blue dot, possibly maybe the same dot from when you highlight select text in ios, randomly show up in the top left corner. Almost directly under the 5 pips on the phone that I don't even know what they mean.

e: it is the same dot that shows up next to apps you have updated but haven't opened yet on the homescreen

drunken officeparty fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Feb 26, 2016

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
It's definitely the blue dot from text selection, it happens from time to time and I believe pokeyman is aware of it.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

drunken officeparty posted:

the 5 pips on the phone that I don't even know what they mean.

You don't know what the signal strength meter is?

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
Every time I try and open a link on the forums, it opens up on a white screen and I have to close the whole awful app and open it up again. Is this a known issue?

iPhone 6 with the newest app version

Edit: okay I was screwing around in the settings and changes the default browser to safari so that seems to have fixed whatever it was. Disregard.

Demon Of The Fall fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Feb 26, 2016

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
Why do I often find it impossible to click on links in posts? I have to force quit the app then go back to the thread and then I can go to them.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Pissflaps posted:

Why do I often find it impossible to click on links in posts? I have to force quit the app then go back to the thread and then I can go to them.
I think this happens when you open a link then swipe to return to the app instead of tapping "Done" at the top of the safari view controller.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

No, I literally never swipe unless I'm testing a bug, and it happens to me.

Nobody knows why the bug happens, but: if you scroll so that the top bar (with Previous Posts and friends) is fully visible, links are clickable again.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
Hmm that's really useful thank you.

Mandibular Fiasco
Oct 14, 2012

Pissflaps posted:

I have the same problem, except tapping on links virtually never works. I can randomly tap on different parts of the link, and occasionally the link will launch. Most times, though, nothing happens and I end up opening the link in Safari. Any ideas?

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

One time when this came up I recall someone saying it might be a bug in zepto.js. Is that still possible/probable? I noticed Awful uses the latest version of zepto available.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Did we ever figure out the file uploading too fast error for posting pics?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Josh Lyman posted:

Did we ever figure out the file uploading too fast error for posting pics?

No, but I have a patch that might help us diagnose it. I'll try to remember to land it next week.

If my theory is right, it will happen more toward the end of the month.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July
The header on the web modal is a bit wonky when a call banner is displayed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Love the app but I've been getting two weird bugs for at least the past month. The first is the unresponsive hyperlinks one mentioned above so I won't bother going into detail, but I haven't seen the other one mentioned in the past few pages. Basically, I occasionally see my avatar attached to other posters, and quitting/relaunching/restarting my phone doesn't do anything to fix it. When I view the profiles of users affected it's still there; it doesn't just appear in the thread view. Doesn't really impact usability and it always winds up resolving itself after a seemingly random period of time, but it still momentarily confuses me when it happens.

I'm posting now because I'm experiencing another version of the same issue for the first time – it's showing someone else's avatar in place of mine. Very odd.

iPhone 6, latest non-beta version of ios.

• Locked thread