Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009

Captain Log posted:

If you see a woman working BOH duties and she has been there longer than a month - she can kill you with a spoon. They are tough as hell.

Our head of FOH has been in it for 10 years on top of 8 years BOH before that, and she takes poo poo from no one, chef-owners included. It helps that they've known each other for years, but I've heard her straight up cuss one of them out across the window over plates she was unhappy with before with zero consequences so far. She's rad as hell, and knows what she's doing in any part of a restaurant. She's in the process of getting a non-culinary degree, and I dread the day we lose her.

As an aside since hudderites were mentioned, I hadn't thought about it until now, but I don't know if I've ever seen any eating at the place I work, which is a little odd since there's a pretty large colony nearby.

Oldsrocket_27 fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Feb 3, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

Discendo Vox posted:

Some more fun food reporting from the Washington Post.

Meh. Fear mongering.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

Skwirl posted:

Restaurant industry is sexist as gently caress, military is sexist as gently caress. Kitchens are sexist as gently caress beyond the restaurant industry in general. You're in a perfect storm of being hosed with. I seriously can't imagine what you have to put up with every day.

Honestly, it's actually less sexist compared to my last two jobs, but there all the sexism came from the customers. Last one was thrift store processor (the person who helps move your unwanted crap into the back of the store to be sorted). For some reason, literally every employee there was a woman, so it was great fun having some yokel pull up around back and ask "is there a guy who can help get this TV off my truck?" and cheerfully (and truthfully) answer "nope!" while scooping up a 27" CRT like it ain't no thang, several times a day. The other one was when I worked as an AV tech for a theatre, and I would meet'n'greet touring musical acts as they loaded in to get their sound needs met. "Hey, [band], I'm JD. How can we can get started?" If they hadn't been there before, 9/10 times I'd get a tech rider thrust at me with "can you give this to the soundguy?" "You just did." I loved watchin' 'em blush when they figured it out.

Among KP, cooks, and Army, it's a pretty even male/female split, and I think that helps. We have plenty of sgt's who are women (including our last two Chef of the Year winners) that could kill you with not only a spoon but a mere glance. Cooks, I can't really speak to how they're treated, but the guys in KP seem to respect the women, at least to our faces. If I need help with something physical like, say, putting up a box of Pepsi post mix syrup that weighs about half of what I do, I can ask any of the bros and they'll help without making comments that women are weak or somesuch. And I know at least 2 cooks have been fired for making off-color jokes around women, so my contractor company takes harassment seriously.

So oddly enough, hats vs hairnets aside, sexism doesn't really come up much on this job. Now, race, that's another story. In KP there's me (the lone white woman), 2 Asian guys, and the rest are all black or Latino. There is a sharp divide between the blacks and Latinos, which often puts me in an awkward place bc I get along with everyone, but the two camps seem to want me to take sides. Here's where my jail time is actually a kitchen job asset, bc I in jail learned how to be "so neutral, they call me Swiss Miss".

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Meh. Fear mongering.

Yeah. I mean, statistically speaking, I strongly suspect the home meals I've had have been far more dangerous over the years than the restaurant meals, whether ServSafe was adhered to or not.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
The article's not just about restaurant food- despite the discussion of Chipotle it's referring to all food settings and products. Based on my experience interacting with FDA he's pretty on the money about the products to avoid.

infiniteguest
May 14, 2009

oh god oh god

Beef stroganoff action: egg noodles, maitake, beef shank, panko.

Sorry about the rim of the plate, wiping is someone else's job.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Discendo Vox posted:

The article's not just about restaurant food- despite the discussion of Chipotle it's referring to all food settings and products. Based on my experience interacting with FDA he's pretty on the money about the products to avoid.

My Aunt is a GP doctor who spent a good amount of time examining people in the Emergency room. So when I bought my cousin a skateboard for Christmas it disappeared overnight. because the only skateboarders my aunt had met were people who'd seriously injured themselves skateboarding. I'm going to view the food illness lawyer in that same light.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

Discendo Vox posted:

What are you doing now, again?

Working for Microsoft.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Discendo Vox posted:

He states that he's seen hundreds of different foods be the source of food-borne illnesses, and the 6 he lists are the ones that require so much QC from source to table that the risk isn't worth it. His biggest thing about the Foster Farms chicken recall that lasted over a year was a major issue at all stages including consumer preparation because most people did not know how to cook chicken properly.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

pentyne posted:

He states that he's seen hundreds of different foods be the source of food-borne illnesses, and the 6 he lists are the ones that require so much QC from source to table that the risk isn't worth it. His biggest thing about the Foster Farms chicken recall that lasted over a year was a major issue at all stages including consumer preparation because most people did not know how to cook chicken properly.

Yeah, FSMA is either going to make that a whole lot better, or, I suspect with regard to imported products, much, much worse. FDA has like 1/8th of the budget they need to run responsible checks, it sucks.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.

pentyne posted:

and the 6 he lists are the ones that require so much QC from source to table that the risk isn't worth it.

gently caress that, I'm never eating a well done anything, or skipping out on raw shellfish, or undercooked eggs.

Does this guy even realize pasteurized eggs are a thing? Or that pasteurization exists?

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

gently caress that, I'm never eating a well done anything, or skipping out on raw shellfish, or undercooked eggs.

Does this guy even realize pasteurized eggs are a thing? Or that pasteurization exists?

uh, yes, which is why he specifically says raw or undercooked eggs, and discusses juice and milk pasteurization later in the article.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Discendo Vox posted:

uh, yes, which is why he specifically says raw or undercooked eggs, and discusses juice and milk pasteurization later in the article.

Must live an awfully dull life if he can't enjoy some cheese made with unpasteurized milk. Or anything less than well done. That's disgusting.

Vorenus
Jul 14, 2013
I want that well done, y'hear? No pink.

NO PINK! AND BOIL THE MILK!!!11

Secret Spoon
Mar 22, 2009

Vorenus posted:

I want that well done, y'hear? No pink.

NO PINK! AND BOIL THE MILK!!!11

Thanks man. This got an audible chuckle out of me and brightened my day!

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?

JacquelineDempsey posted:

Honestly, it's actually less sexist compared to my last two jobs, but there all the sexism came from the customers. Last one was thrift store processor (the person who helps move your unwanted crap into the back of the store to be sorted). For some reason, literally every employee there was a woman, so it was great fun having some yokel pull up around back and ask "is there a guy who can help get this TV off my truck?" and cheerfully (and truthfully) answer "nope!" while scooping up a 27" CRT like it ain't no thang, several times a day. The other one was when I worked as an AV tech for a theatre, and I would meet'n'greet touring musical acts as they loaded in to get their sound needs met. "Hey, [band], I'm JD. How can we can get started?" If they hadn't been there before, 9/10 times I'd get a tech rider thrust at me with "can you give this to the soundguy?" "You just did." I loved watchin' 'em blush when they figured it out.

Among KP, cooks, and Army, it's a pretty even male/female split, and I think that helps. We have plenty of sgt's who are women (including our last two Chef of the Year winners) that could kill you with not only a spoon but a mere glance. Cooks, I can't really speak to how they're treated, but the guys in KP seem to respect the women, at least to our faces. If I need help with something physical like, say, putting up a box of Pepsi post mix syrup that weighs about half of what I do, I can ask any of the bros and they'll help without making comments that women are weak or somesuch. And I know at least 2 cooks have been fired for making off-color jokes around women, so my contractor company takes harassment seriously.

So oddly enough, hats vs hairnets aside, sexism doesn't really come up much on this job. Now, race, that's another story. In KP there's me (the lone white woman), 2 Asian guys, and the rest are all black or Latino. There is a sharp divide between the blacks and Latinos, which often puts me in an awkward place bc I get along with everyone, but the two camps seem to want me to take sides. Here's where my jail time is actually a kitchen job asset, bc I in jail learned how to be "so neutral, they call me Swiss Miss".

Didn't you tell us about some dude smacking your rear end and treating you like women are meant to be sex slaves?

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

New kid keeps turning the hood off because he's cold. Should I tell him he might suffocate if he leaves it off too long? I'm going home early so it's no skin off my rear end.

remote control carnivore
May 7, 2009

Republicans posted:

New kid keeps turning the hood off because he's cold. Should I tell him he might suffocate if he leaves it off too long? I'm going home early so it's no skin off my rear end.

Tell him he wouldn't be so goddamned cold if he'd move faster.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006
I'm embarrassed but for maybe the second time in my career I had a server make me flip so hard I had to step outside. I'm your expo, you rang in a ticket with eight items without splitting it up. Rather than saying. "Sorry it wont happen again" it becomes a "Well the salad station had three things and the last guy who did your job said we could do it this way."

loving God drat so many situations can be solved by just saying. "Yes, I'm wrong. Sorry."

When management wont back you up it sucks because you can't really pull a full Ramsay. I wish I owned my own place so I could just say OUT!

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Save me jeebus posted:

Tell him he wouldn't be so goddamned cold if he'd move faster.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
My kitchens new hobby is making poo poo in completely random order so if I put three tables in, (like get one order, put it in, get another table, put it in. Not piling them up one after another) half the food for every single table will be sitting on the line for like 10 minutes waiting for the other half to get finished. Then they get pissed at me because I can't run twelve plates at once.

Vorenus
Jul 14, 2013

Skwirl posted:

My kitchens new hobby is making poo poo in completely random order so if I put three tables in, (like get one order, put it in, get another table, put it in. Not piling them up one after another) half the food for every single table will be sitting on the line for like 10 minutes waiting for the other half to get finished. Then they get pissed at me because I can't run twelve plates at once.
We don't have separate food runners, so when this happens it's hilarious to watch the expo slowly tear their vocal chords screaming for a runner while the servers struggle to keep up on their triple-sat tables. My personal favorite is speedwalking through the pass in a clear hurry, often with at least one hand full, and having the expo step in my path and shove a pair of plates in my face. I no longer go on the pass unless I know I'm running food for my own table. gently caress. That.

Captain Log posted:

I'm embarrassed but for maybe the second time in my career I had a server make me flip so hard I had to step outside. I'm your expo, you rang in a ticket with eight items without splitting it up. Rather than saying. "Sorry it wont happen again" it becomes a "Well the salad station had three things and the last guy who did your job said we could do it this way."

loving God drat so many situations can be solved by just saying. "Yes, I'm wrong. Sorry."

When management wont back you up it sucks because you can't really pull a full Ramsay. I wish I owned my own place so I could just say OUT!

I don't know what you're in (casual, fine, w/e) but you sound like the jerk here. Maybe it's a pre-established rule and maybe you have your reasons, but In a decade of cooking, the only time I ever saw a party split was for a group in the high 20s, and I can think of more arguments for not splitting a party of 8 than I can for splitting it. Your post is fairly vague but it really just sounds like you got mad b/c someone did things the usual way and not your way.

A Man and his dog
Oct 24, 2013

by R. Guyovich
I'm so glad I don't have to remember seat numbers and poo poo or have an expo do it for me.

Also hey Industry thread. Good to be back. Hope all is well.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Vorenus posted:

I don't know what you're in (casual, fine, w/e) but you sound like the jerk here. Maybe it's a pre-established rule and maybe you have your reasons, but In a decade of cooking, the only time I ever saw a party split was for a group in the high 20s, and I can think of more arguments for not splitting a party of 8 than I can for splitting it. Your post is fairly vague but it really just sounds like you got mad b/c someone did things the usual way and not your way.

I read that as in a smaller party ordered some combination of apps/entrees and the server didn't ring in anything WRT to coursing it - which could be problematic if, say, a party of 3 wanted to start with salads, then share a couple apps, then move on to entrees. Or a tapas place where 8 plates can be ordered at once by a larger party without a problem, but with a small party will crowd the table and let food get cold before it gets finished.

But yeah, it needs some explanation.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Vorenus posted:

We don't have separate food runners, so when this happens it's hilarious to watch the expo slowly tear their vocal chords screaming for a runner while the servers struggle to keep up on their triple-sat tables. My personal favorite is speedwalking through the pass in a clear hurry, often with at least one hand full, and having the expo step in my path and shove a pair of plates in my face. I no longer go on the pass unless I know I'm running food for my own table. gently caress. That.

We have runners, but most of my shifts are in the afternoon so there's a good chunk where our AM runners have left and our PM runners aren't there and we don't have Expo at all.

I actually almost throttled the new runner the other day because I sent a bunch of desert tickets, which the runner is in charge of making. They're kind of a pain and I knew he was a little behind so I went back there to prep my deserts and he's bitching to me about how no one helps him out. Mother fucker, I'm here helping you right now, stop whining you little bitch.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006
I was more venting that being cogent. It has nothing to do with what the server did other than, "We have a set procedure to keep things running smoothly, you deviated from the procedure for no reason and rightly got called out on it, you tried to throw a bitch fit because you got called out, I didn't have my normal amount of patience and was embarrassed by loosing my cool."

We split tickets larger than six entrees because it creates big confusion due to the amount of mods most plates get. We are upscale but not fancy enough to just say, "You can't modify your food and gently caress off." If we didn't split tickets how we do I would have them hanging into the food and it would gently caress the different stations hard.

Again, just venting. I get really tired of people having arguments about things that could be solved by just saying, "Sorry about that."

I've always thought of the expo as the restaurant punching bag because you get hosed by the BOH and FOH. I got hired because the GM at my place has known me for ten plus years and knows I'm thick skinned.

virinvictus
Nov 10, 2014
I finally quit the restaurant I was suffering in.

And within 24 hours have already found a job cooking in an old folks home for more than my managers and supervisors make.

Vorenus
Jul 14, 2013

Captain Log posted:

I was more venting that being cogent. It has nothing to do with what the server did other than, "We have a set procedure to keep things running smoothly, you deviated from the procedure for no reason and rightly got called out on it, you tried to throw a bitch fit because you got called out, I didn't have my normal amount of patience and was embarrassed by loosing my cool."

We split tickets larger than six entrees because it creates big confusion due to the amount of mods most plates get. We are upscale but not fancy enough to just say, "You can't modify your food and gently caress off." If we didn't split tickets how we do I would have them hanging into the food and it would gently caress the different stations hard.

Again, just venting. I get really tired of people having arguments about things that could be solved by just saying, "Sorry about that."

I've always thought of the expo as the restaurant punching bag because you get hosed by the BOH and FOH. I got hired because the GM at my place has known me for ten plus years and knows I'm thick skinned.

The more you post the more it sound like you flipped out over something trivial.

I've been enjoying the week off from my job, at least as much as a person can enjoy a "vacation" that's really "I'm taking a week off to quit my 18+hour/day chew habit without getting charged with a capital crime".

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Vorenus posted:

The more you post the more it sound like you flipped out over something trivial.

It's the little things that cause the most problems.

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006
The idea of the expo as a punching bag for boh and foh is way wrong to me, it should be the opposite. Everything goes through the expo. Do you really want to gently caress him or her over?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

It's not a job where you last that long if you gently caress poo poo up on purpose.

Vorenus
Jul 14, 2013
Even an excellent expo has his/her hands full keeping things running smoothly. An expo who has the time and coordination to gently caress up a specific order/server while also keeping everything else seamlessly moving is probably post-human in terms of cognitive capability.

Vorenus fucked around with this message at 09:42 on Feb 5, 2016

ohemgee
Jun 24, 2006

drink to bones that turn to dust

Captain Log posted:

we have a similar rule, more than seven meals being rung in have to be split 4+4. there's no wiggle room with that rule.

i used to expo pretty often and i liked the detail to attention it required, but drat if every server wanted to argue with me about this or that on their ticket when i was in the window (and more times than not, i also came out being right). i'm with you, a simple "hey, i was wrong, i'll make sure not to do it again," would go a long way.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

goodness posted:

Didn't you tell us about some dude smacking your rear end and treating you like women are meant to be sex slaves?

Naw, if I know what you're referring to, that was when I had a Private making weirdo threatening comments to me. I posted something like "I know the industry is sexist as hell & I'd be less surprised at some guy smacking me on the rear end than saying 'I'm gonna kick you in the throat'."

NB: said Private hasn't been seen around the DFAC, I think he got 86'ed

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

ohemgee posted:

we have a similar rule, more than seven meals being rung in have to be split 4+4. there's no wiggle room with that rule.

i used to expo pretty often and i liked the detail to attention it required, but drat if every server wanted to argue with me about this or that on their ticket when i was in the window (and more times than not, i also came out being right). i'm with you, a simple "hey, i was wrong, i'll make sure not to do it again," would go a long way.

Yeah, at the last place I worked that had an expo our rule was no more than six position points per ticket; longer than that and it got harder to keep them out of the food, harder for the cooks to keep track of, but we had a button in the PoS that put "WITH OTHER TICKET" in red at the top of a printed ticket to make sure everything still went together.

Rockzilla
Feb 19, 2007

Squish!

virinvictus posted:

I finally quit the restaurant I was suffering in.

And within 24 hours have already found a job cooking in an old folks home for more than my managers and supervisors make.

Welcome to the thrilling world of feeding old people. Keep a scrapbook of the best bill modifiers. The money and hours are awesome as long as you don't mind swallowing your culinary pride.

virinvictus
Nov 10, 2014

Rockzilla posted:

Welcome to the thrilling world of feeding old people. Keep a scrapbook of the best bill modifiers. The money and hours are awesome as long as you don't mind swallowing your culinary pride.

I live in Northern Ontario. There is no culinary pride here.

Edit: it's chain restaurants, mom and pop shops where you stomp on mice in workboots, and strip clubs filled with fentanyl.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Rockzilla posted:

I've always kept the stupidest tickets I've ever seen, modify wise.

If you are in a dining room and here a sad person yell, "Are you high?!" from the back - I probably just got one to add to my collection.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

Captain Log posted:

I've always kept the stupidest tickets I've ever seen, modify wise.

If you are in a dining room and here a sad person yell, "Are you high?!" from the back - I probably just got one to add to my collection.

There are some show-stoppers hanging in our chefs' office that are always good for a giggle. 14 top with 12 chicken and waffles with various mods? Yeah. I bought multiple other tables their brunch that day because it shut down the drat line at 130pm on a Sunday.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Man and his dog
Oct 24, 2013

by R. Guyovich
How the gently caress you gonna mod traditional chicken and waffles.

Shaking my head.

• Locked thread