Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture
Worthington has a kickstarter going for a Band of Brothers expansion (it requires either Ghost Panzer or Screaming Eagles). I'm only posting it because I've missed their stuff in the past, and some of the tiers on this offer a 3rd chance to get the "remastered" games. It sucks finding out about these things after the fact!

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1456271622/band-of-brothers-epic-battles-battle-pack-1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Has anyone played Toulon 1793? I saw a picture of it and thought "man this looks pretty" but was taken aback by its scale being a 2-7 player operational level wargame with 500+ minutes on the box. It also has maybe 35 reviews on BGG and probably only twice as many people who own it.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
For the Napoleon's Triumph stickers, is there a particular glue I should be using (if any)? Is it worth cleaning the bases first?

al-azad
May 28, 2009

T-Bone posted:

For the Napoleon's Triumph stickers, is there a particular glue I should be using (if any)? Is it worth cleaning the bases first?

What I did was soak them in water with dish detergent. Patted down and let sit until dry. Then I used a toothpick to apply a very thin layer of E600 to apply the sticker, finished with clear glossy acrylic spray, and finally used a blade to trim any dangling corners so they wouldn't grab on my fingers. I don't think the acrylic was necessary but I do recommend E6000 because I wouldn't describe it as glue, more like an adhesive putty the stickers kind of merged with like Tetsuo in Akira.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

So I've played 4 1-player games of Liberty or Death (wargames protip: be a depressed shutin) and France won 3 of them. I guess if the Patriots aggressively go after British cubes instead of Indian villages, France is likely to win. The Patriots are really under pressure to avoid battling as much as possible. On the other hand, if Washington's army kills 6 British in a battle, the rebels get a ton of free opposition. Interesting dynamic.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

al-azad posted:

What I did was soak them in water with dish detergent. Patted down and let sit until dry. Then I used a toothpick to apply a very thin layer of E600 to apply the sticker, finished with clear glossy acrylic spray, and finally used a blade to trim any dangling corners so they wouldn't grab on my fingers. I don't think the acrylic was necessary but I do recommend E6000 because I wouldn't describe it as glue, more like an adhesive putty the stickers kind of merged with like Tetsuo in Akira.

Thanks!

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Played two games of Battles of Westeros today, the first time I've gotten it to the table since getting it as a Christmas gift about two years ago and the start of a plan of a friend and I to play more wargames after I introduced him to Twilight Struggle. (I'm still an almost complete newbie myself).

I thought BoW was... Alright. I liked the activation mechanism - the randomised tokens force you to make some tough decisions over what to move and when to move it, but the Leadership cards mean that with some good positioning of your Commander units you generally have a few outs and there weren't any times I recall that I felt like I urgently needed to activate a unit and didn't have some way of achieving this.

I was less a fan on the combat. The dice resolution feels really unpleasantly swingy. I may possibly just feel this way because in our second game the dice gods heavily favoured me and apparently my friend had blasphemed recently. He couldn't hit the broad side of a barn and I was wiping his units with ease with far weaker forces.

I don't mind dice as a combat resolution mechanic but outside of flanking it didn't feel like there were enough ways to mitigate lovely rolling.

In addition, the capturing mechanic means that Commander units are ridiculous tarpits that can tie up and objective and be near impossible to shift unless you're lucky enough to roll a retreat to force them off the hex.

Retreats in general felt unsatisfying as well. We were playing with the errata'd directional retreat rules which are better than the ones in the rulebook as written. I'm not sure how to describe why they didn't click with me though or how I'd improve on them. Tying them to unit casualties and/or the force Morale instead of a random diceroll might be a good start.

We did have fun, but with the fiddly and long setup time for scenarios and the sometimes unsatisfying nature of the combat I'm not sure that I'm champing at the bit to do another one any time soon.

So anyway, that's my rambling semi-review. We'd like to do a Cruasdes-themed wargame as we're both fairly interested in that period of history. I've seen thoughts on both Infidel and Kingdom of Heaven, does anyone have any thoughts/opinions on either?

tomdidiot
Apr 23, 2014

Stupid Grognard
I have so many games unpunched....... I should probably put a temporary stop on purchases until I get around to punching these...

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
So I checked my Wing Leader: Supremacy order and apparently it hasn't even shipped yet? What the hell, GMT Games?

Now I gotta wait until Monday for them to open up and reply to my email... :sigh:

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Jobbo_Fett posted:

So I checked my Wing Leader: Supremacy order and apparently it hasn't even shipped yet? What the hell, GMT Games?

Now I gotta wait until Monday for them to open up and reply to my email... :sigh:

I have orders I received in 2016 that say "not yet shipped."

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

homullus posted:

I have orders I received in 2016 that say "not yet shipped."

God damnit grog devs and grog retailers! :argh:

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I'm actually glad GMT spreads their releases so wide because I may have P500'd ten games over the holidays and don't want to get hit with $600 overnight.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.

al-azad posted:

I'm actually glad GMT spreads their releases so wide because I may have P500'd ten games over the holidays and don't want to get hit with $600 overnight.

:yossame:

Erghh
Sep 24, 2007

"Let him speak!"

Sodomy Non Sapiens posted:

So anyway, that's my rambling semi-review. We'd like to do a Cruasdes-themed wargame as we're both fairly interested in that period of history. I've seen thoughts on both Infidel and Kingdom of Heaven, does anyone have any thoughts/opinions on either?

Infidel is a tactical game that centers on specific battles. It's by the designer of Great Battles of History but using a different system (Men of Iron). It's more streamlined and a more "flow-y" gameplay than GBoH. Actually works well for large cavalry battles featured in the box. Watch out for steam rolling though, especially if you're not a fan of unhappy dice .

Here's a lets play.

Kingdom of Heaven is strategic. Haven't played this one but among The Group who have it's heavily invested in the history and gets high marks. A real labor of love project.

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

Erghh posted:

Infidel is a tactical game that centers on specific battles. It's by the designer of Great Battles of History but using a different system (Men of Iron). It's more streamlined and a more "flow-y" gameplay than GBoH. Actually works well for large cavalry battles featured in the box. Watch out for steam rolling though, especially if you're not a fan of unhappy dice .

Here's a lets play.

Kingdom of Heaven is strategic. Haven't played this one but among The Group who have it's heavily invested in the history and gets high marks. A real labor of love project.

I haven't played Infidel, but I have Blood & Roses, another game in the Men of Iron series. It's pretty simple and straightforward and fast-playing for a hex and counter, but Richard Berg likes to experiment with systems to model "initiative" and "momentum" that can be a bit fiddly.

tomdidiot
Apr 23, 2014

Stupid Grognard
So.. I somehow managed to punch and clip all of
Last Blitzkrieg
Wing Leader: Victories
Here I Stand
Normandy '44 (by Simonitch)

in a weekend. My thumb is killing me.

EDIT: Still DAK 2 and Greatest Day: Sword, Juno, gold to go!

tomdidiot fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Jan 30, 2017

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

tomdidiot posted:

So.. I somehow managed to punch and clip all of
Last Blitzkrieg
Wing Leader: Victories
Here I Stand
Normandy '44 (by Simonitch)

in a weekend. My thumb is killing me.

Let me know what you think of Normandy '44, I haven't gotten it to the table yet.

SavageMessiah
Jan 28, 2009

Emotionally drained and spookified

Toilet Rascal

T-Bone posted:

Let me know what you think of Normandy '44, I haven't gotten it to the table yet.

I've played the tournament scenario, I really liked it.

tomdidiot
Apr 23, 2014

Stupid Grognard

T-Bone posted:

FA it's anything like Ardennes '44 it's a solid operational game which is fairly realistic and smooth playing but does nothing to stop factor counting and had no limits on operational tempo like OCS or BCS.

Caedar
Dec 28, 2004

Will do there, buddy.
I'm curious if anyone else has opinions about the Twilight Struggle Promo Pack. I've played a few games online with it, and it seems like it favors the US HARD. The big one is Kremlin Flu, an absolute nightmare of a card, arguably worse than Grain Sales, which makes USSR auto-suicide in Early War an actual possibility, gives the US another opportunity to cheese low-VP scores early on. Also, the fact that it shows up in Early War means it's a thorn in your side many times, to the point where it seems like it pulls the chances of late USSR victory down even further.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
The world climate right now makes people do irrational things they may regret down the line

I just rebought Fields of Fire

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Wargames Thread - COOL CORN, this is an intervention, please take a seat

BrainBot
Aug 18, 2012
Speaking of Fields of Fire it looks like the new edition's playbook and rules are on the GMT page. Are those significantly better than the 1st edition ones?

Anarchy Stocking
Jan 19, 2006

O wicked spirit born of a lost soul in limbo!

Caedar posted:

I'm curious if anyone else has opinions about the Twilight Struggle Promo Pack. I've played a few games online with it, and it seems like it favors the US HARD. The big one is Kremlin Flu, an absolute nightmare of a card, arguably worse than Grain Sales, which makes USSR auto-suicide in Early War an actual possibility, gives the US another opportunity to cheese low-VP scores early on. Also, the fact that it shows up in Early War means it's a thorn in your side many times, to the point where it seems like it pulls the chances of late USSR victory down even further.

Yeah, Kremlin Flu is absolutely ridiculous. I have a friend with whom I play TS regularly and after the first time that came up we agreed to not play with the promo cards ever again. The USSR already needs to secure victory before turn 7 or so to stand a chance of winning and this card in Early War is just a little too much, especially with all the other things that can go wrong in a USSR open.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

I keep losing at LoD solitaire, but my aim is getting better! :sax:

This was a British game, and I got support way higher than I expected (up to 30 at the end) but I took a lot of casualties and lost to the Indians. Really hard to maintain support and fight off the French at the same time. I guess you really need to take advantage of Indian raids to decrease support, but they won't raid unless support is already pretty high.

I think the key to winning as COIN in this one is going to be using my resources more aggressively to kill rebel cubes, rather than spreading my guys around as much. Frustrating game, though I decisively beat the patriots at least?

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

Where do you rank it as a solo experience? I keep telling myself not to get another COIN until I play FitL more.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

CaptainRightful posted:

Where do you rank it as a solo experience? I keep telling myself not to get another COIN until I play FitL more.

I think it's up there with FitL for best solitaire experience, not sure which is better. North America's map is a little less complex than South Vietnam but the ruleset is pretty complex in both games. Both have a lot going on in the Coup/Winters Quarters rounds, both have 4 really distinct factions, and both have one-time cards that each player gets dealt at the start.

For FitL I loved playing the NVA especially but I found the Government to be no fun at all. I don't feel as strongly about any faction in LoD, they all have a lot going on. I admit I probably won't play the "support" factions (Indians and French) as much as the other two. But every side has interesting decisions to make.

TerraGoetia
Feb 21, 2011

A cup of spiders.
I'm setting up Fatal Alliances for solitary play. I've never done a grand strategy board game before, so learning the rules / setting up the board is taking me multiple evenings. I'm really excited to see how it plays, and trying to be patient about setting up the remaining pieces.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Do you think a COIN game could work for something like the Cold War, where most of the conflict is conducted through proxies? I have this idea for a 4-player game set in the period, and while I was thinking of making it a card-driven game like Twilight Struggle I like the COIN model more, for several reasons. For one, it should be hard to plan ahead for historical events. I'm thinking the big difference between my game and the COINs about civil wars would be that in my design, you typically can't kill enemy pieces in a region because there is no op for direct attacks on other factions. Players would be pushed into political and economic competition to gain dominance in a region. I know this is vague because I have a lot of details to decide on, but does this sound viable?

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

What would the sides be?

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

Do you think a COIN game could work for something like the Cold War, where most of the conflict is conducted through proxies? I have this idea for a 4-player game set in the period, and while I was thinking of making it a card-driven game like Twilight Struggle I like the COIN model more, for several reasons. For one, it should be hard to plan ahead for historical events. I'm thinking the big difference between my game and the COINs about civil wars would be that in my design, you typically can't kill enemy pieces in a region because there is no op for direct attacks on other factions. Players would be pushed into political and economic competition to gain dominance in a region. I know this is vague because I have a lot of details to decide on, but does this sound viable?

I think Pericles might be a better starting point for a 4-player Cold War game, where each player plays a faction in the two superpowers trying to compete on a global scale.

If I did want to stick with the COIN model, I think you'd have to try to do it like US/WEuro/USSR/China, where the friction between the US and WEuro is over colonial control and the friction between the USSR and China is over.. influence? I dunno. It's very hard to find the right fault lines, which is why I kinda think the Cold War is best left two-sided. Internal conflict played a huge role in the politics of both countries which is why I like Pericles better as a model.

Panzeh fucked around with this message at 13:40 on Feb 2, 2017

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Tekopo posted:

What would the sides be?

USA, Soviets, China, and something like the Non-Aligned Movement. The map sketch i have is just Africa and Asia, with no Europe or Latin America, because China and the NAM had little presence there.

INinja132
Aug 7, 2015

A bunch of Columbia Games block wargames just got added at Board Game Guru. Are any of them considered must buys/really good? I've been after a block wargame for a while.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.

INinja132 posted:

A bunch of Columbia Games block wargames just got added at Board Game Guru. Are any of them considered must buys/really good? I've been after a block wargame for a while.

I've enjoyed Hammer of the Scots, and I really want to get Rommel in the Desert. I know there are others that are good, but I don't remember which ones.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
EastFront is pretty good. I've never managed to play the full EastFront/WestFront/EuroFront combo though - we had big plans but it fell through. Shame.

It's basically block WW2. There are smaller scenarios, but it does get pretty big if you play the full game. EuroFront adds stuff to combine the other two games, but EastFront definitely stands alone as a great game.

IIRC their other block games aren't as large-scale.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

Tekopo posted:

What would the sides be?

A Euro-imperialists faction might work, nominally allied to the US but more interested in maintaining colonies (or, failing that, economic dominance over former colonies).

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I had an idea. Who wants to play a game of ACW, but we do our moves by mail.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Phi230 posted:

I had an idea. Who wants to play a game of ACW, but we do our moves by mail.

You have to wrap cigars with your orders first to make it authentic

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I'd be so down to do that though if stamps weren't crazy expensive

Even better would be we send our orders to a third party who actually plays the game. We only get mailed reports.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

I keep wanting to do a PbF of the old Avalon Hill age of sail game Wooden Ships & Iron Men where everyone gets a ship and all communication in thread is only by posting naval code flags