Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
You're not a real FromSoft fan if you haven't aced The Adventures of Cookie and Cream anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Rodyle posted:

You know what's worse than Fromsoft fans? People who constantly talk about how they hate Fromsoft fans and games.

Nah, those are great because they can always get defensive reactions from the first group.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Dias posted:

Nah, those are great because they can always get defensive reactions from the first group.

And that always leads to such riveting conversations.

BrownThunder
Oct 26, 2005

EXTEND BEN!
Forever and ever and ever

Dias posted:

Especially since one group talks significantly more than the other. Plus the Fromsoft spergs don't even give love to 3D Dot Game Heroes, their best game.

I really like how "ID RATHER HAVE NOTHING" is getting so much groundswell

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Yinlock posted:

Nothing makes me more happy about my refusal to play fromsoft games than fromsoft fans.

You're dumb. And no one is a real From Soft fan if they want more souls games. AC is where it's at!

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages

Andrast posted:

You just missed the progression path in there, go back and explore a bit more.

Ah, I'll look around a bit more.

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

For that door remember the place with the respawning old ladies and the cthulhu monster that shot a eyebeam at you? Hug the right wall of that area and you'll see a gap in the fence. There's a key if you follow that path that opens the upper ward.

Yeah, I found that after exploring a little bit. I'm actually talking about the area beyond that door where all the slug-type things are after crossing the bridge.

Oh and can I also say that evil-looking flashing tower in the Nightmare of Mensis where you get things shot into you that make your frenzy go up is freaky, especially when playing this in the middle of the night with a headset on? For all the things Bloodborne does right, it nails the atmosphere. I haven't been this awe-struck and unsettled by an environment since playing Silent Hill on the PS1 for the first time. Fuuuuuck.

ArclightBorealis
May 28, 2014

You are HUGE!
That means you have HUGE ESSENCE!

RIP AND TEAR YOUR ESSENCE!!

BrownThunder posted:

Especially since one group talks significantly more than the other. Plus the Fromsoft spergs don't even give love to 3D Dot Game Heroes, their best game.

I really like how "ID RATHER HAVE NOTHING" is getting so much groundswell
I love 3D Dot Game Heroes, but that's Silicon Studio. From just published it in Japan, and allowed them to make in jokes about the company which is why they're still associated with it when Atlas published it everywhere else.

So it's actually Silicon Studio's best game, take that Bravely Default!

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

You're dumb. And no one is a real From Soft fan if they want more souls games. AC is where it's at!
This man speaks the truth.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Looks like it's time for...desyncvania!

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

ArclightBorealis posted:

So it's actually Silicon Studio's best game, take that Bravely Default!

Bravely Default is trash anyway. Any game that tries to pull the poo poo Bravely Default does in the second half goes straight into the garbage. :argh:

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

hi I finished bravely default because what people call the second half of the game takes like an hour to finish

and then you get cool rom hack challenge boss fights

Ruggington fucked around with this message at 03:55 on May 13, 2015

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

ArclightBorealis posted:

I wouldn't call people who've only played the Souls games "real" From Soft fans. They're just their own special breed of crazy that Pat fits into quite well (well, mostly).

Point taken. I've only really seen this type of intense crazy from Souls fans.

and yeah I won't pretend it's not a wet fart but Bravely Default's "2nd half" isn't even remotely that bad unless you're obsessive about following all dem exclamation points.

(I'm obsessive about following all dem exclamation points. Ughhhhhh)

I'll still stick up for it as a good game that's worth your time though.

EDIT: And those boss fights are hilarious. One dude makes everyone weak to fire! Everyone else has fire spells! Eat poo poo! It's great.

Chrispurple
Dec 29, 2012

Oh man, this is gonna be great.

Yinlock posted:

Nothing makes me more happy about my refusal to play fromsoft games than fromsoft fans.

As much as I like to laugh at people who are different from me this episode kind of justified the recent jabs at Pat's yellow belly. The dude got an enemy down to 1/5 health and then ran away from the fight because he was too scared to follow through. That's a bad idea to people who don't even play video games.

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

Yinlock posted:

I'll still stick up for it as a good game that's worth your time though.

EDIT: And those boss fights are hilarious. One dude makes everyone weak to fire! Everyone else has fire spells! Eat poo poo! It's great.

I felt bad about cheesing half of them with the spiritmaster

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
I like how most "Liam Plays" are short series because he's actually good at them games.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Never forget that Liam's breakout role was saving Matt and Woolie from themselves.

Chrispurple
Dec 29, 2012

Oh man, this is gonna be great.
Liam really shines when he gets to just play a game and snipe when he has a good line. I understand the complaints about him being a contrarian in the podcast, but I can't think of a single video that's worse for having him in it. Not to mention the games he just annihilates like Aria of Sorrow.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I wonder what's their set-up for portable games like Aria, because if they're blowing that poo poo up on a 1080p screen oh boy.

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

Children STILL love me, dammit!

Tae posted:

I wonder what's their set-up for portable games like Aria, because if they're blowing that poo poo up on a 1080p screen oh boy.

Probably WiiU virtual console since it came out for that end of last year. Barring that, emulators i'd imagine.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

"You heard it here first folks Liam's doing a no death run."

"You're right I am"

"Oh poo poo"

I love this playthrough.

Edit: First bug Liam shows off is Soma crawling into the vents of the castle and going to places he shouldn't be.

ThisIsACoolGuy fucked around with this message at 05:27 on May 13, 2015

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

"phphphphphphpht"? this is what you're going with?

you sure?
The gang bullshitting while Liam plays Sonic, and also Liam smashing the poo poo out of his favorite Castlevania game while Matt commentates are exactly what I need.

Listening to Pat being a giant neurotic baby and watching Woolie play like a grandpa is fun (and arguably the main reason for watching a Pat/Woolie LP), but I need some respite after 30 something episodes.

maybeflan
May 15, 2014

Tupperwarez posted:

The gang bullshitting while Liam plays Sonic, and also Liam smashing the poo poo out of his favorite Castlevania game while Matt commentates are exactly what I need.

Listening to Pat being a giant neurotic baby and watching Woolie play like a grandpa is fun (and arguably the main reason for watching a Pat/Woolie LP), but I need some respite after 30 something episodes.

Didn't they hint at Creepy Anime Bullshit coming back this weekend in the podcast? At least I heard the word "creepy." There's that to look forward to.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

maybeflan posted:

Didn't they hint at Creepy Anime Bullshit coming back this weekend in the podcast? At least I heard the word "creepy." There's that to look forward to.

Yeah I'm pretty sure there's some sort of creepy bullshit this weekend. Either that or a mystery box.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Yea Chewie and Fuckface are fun but it's good we have more 'normal' SBF nonsense going on at the same time now as well.

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]
Creepy Anime Bullshit Plays : Omega Quintet :getin:

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages

From a few pages ago, but I love this enough to repost it. That music combined with "THAT IS AN....AAALLLLIEEENNN!!!" kills me every time. God bless whoever made this.

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009

Chrispurple posted:

As much as I like to laugh at people who are different from me this episode kind of justified the recent jabs at Pat's yellow belly. The dude got an enemy down to 1/5 health and then ran away from the fight because he was too scared to follow through. That's a bad idea to people who don't even play video games.

And then he went back and died immediately because he threw away his momentum. Woolie plays like an old lady for hours at a time but it looks like Pat's trying to match him with short sporadic bouts of baffling lovely play

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

At least we're getting close to the best character in Sonic Adventure now. Just a few more hours...

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

OneDeadman posted:

Creepy Anime Bullshit Plays : Omega Quintet :getin:

I want them to play every game Liam has ever defended. That or at least:
Creepy Anime Bullshit Plays : Galgun 2

EDIT: Oh man they announced the Walking Dead 3, can't wait for zombie boat Kenny.

HGH fucked around with this message at 13:48 on May 13, 2015

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Ruggington posted:

I felt bad about cheesing half of them with the spiritmaster

I liked how the optimal setup for one was a loving exploding monk. The only one of those fights I didn't do was the final marathon one because gently caress that.

Man, that game's battles were fantastic.

Oh man it's the best Castlevania game, Aria of Sorrow. Well, that or Symphony but I've never seen anyone outside of the oldschool diehards argue that it's not one of those two. (Not that the older ones are bad, mind you)

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Yinlock posted:

Oh man it's the best Castlevania game, Aria of Sorrow. Well, that or Symphony but I've never seen anyone outside of the oldschool diehards argue that it's not one of those two. (Not that the older ones are bad, mind you)

It's between Aria, SoTN and Ecclesia for me. Tho I like Harmony of Dissonance more than most people.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

If there was a game where you played Alucard and used monster souls that would be my ideal Castlevania.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I like the other Castlevania games that follow from Symphony, but I'd rather just have another Rondo of Blood styled game without level progression and exploration.

Silentman0
Jul 11, 2005

I have a new neighbor. Heard he comes from far away
I liked Portrait of Ruin most. Not any particular reason, just that it was the first Igavania I played. Also cycling between CHARLOTTE and JOHNATHAN was fun.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Beef Waifu posted:

I like the other Castlevania games that follow from Symphony, but I'd rather just have another Rondo of Blood styled game without level progression and exploration.

I dunno, I feel like I've gotten enough of older style castlevania, especially with similar poo poo like Shovel knight coming out recently.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

Perfect Potato posted:

And then he went back and died immediately because he threw away his momentum. Woolie plays like an old lady for hours at a time but it looks like Pat's trying to match him with short sporadic bouts of baffling lovely play

I think he's just still trying to play it more like Dark Souls and it's loving him up. I know a lot of habits that got me killed in that game have suddenly become the best strategy in Bloodborne and I think it's throwing them off. Particularly since their favorite DS build is the cautious "block everything and wait" style. There have been many times in this game where I've found myself trapped in a corner or surrounded and somehow lived by just swinging wildly (thank you regain system). Which has been basically certain death in every other game in the series.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Why is Woolie telling Pat not to heal?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Rodyle posted:

Why is Woolie telling Pat not to heal?

They're extremely low on blood vials because Woolie used so many on their adventure through the swamp/Iosefka's clinic/the lakeside. So they are telling each other not to heal so they can rebuild their stock.

Wiseblood
Dec 31, 2000

Man I can't believe how scared they're being of forward progress that they'd rather run back to a previous lamp (and almost run into the toughest NPC hunter in the game)

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Wiseblood posted:

Man I can't believe how scared they're being of forward progress that they'd rather run back to a previous lamp (and almost run into the toughest NPC hunter in the game)

This is my favorite part of the episode. Almost EVERYTHING Pat says in it is wrong, or terrible advice. Like take 10 steps forward into that door and you're at a lamp pretty much :allears:

I was super super hoping they'd walk into that NPC and just blow up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wordnumber
Jan 13, 2015
There's no real way for them to know that there's a lantern right at the start of the next area so I can't really fault them wanting to play it safe. Backtracking through an easy area isn't really bad advice anyway, it just wasn't the most optimal action at that particular moment.

On the other hand it really weird me out how they seem to think Bloodborne's mechanics are magic or something. I have no idea how they came to the conclusion that some enemies can become immune to parries with no indication or that there is some percent chance a parry will fail, and not that there are just attacks that can't be parried or that they are just whiffing the timing.