Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

Kris xK posted:

Okay thanks I had no loving idea what to do with it, I ended up just storing it while playing this weekend but I've now got two full factorissimo factories full of warehouses chocking on it.

Do recall what sort of machine you can use to get it to crushed stone? That seems the easiest and god knows I need a shitton of concrete.

Ore crusher makes slag into crushed stone, assembler makes crushed stone to stone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER
I wrote up a todo list for my factorio game today.

Something is strange with how I have my fun.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Show me your git issues page and then we'll talk

I do not have a git issues page for my factory

Royal W
Jun 20, 2008
I started today with a problem I was thinking about all day and a method to fix it.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Funny how this thread's died in the rear end since Shenzhen I/O was released.

Reactors updated to 1.4.1 - wire connections are now preserved in reactor blueprints.
This took far more effort than it should have, and involves some comical hacks (see below), but it works.

Reactor and circuit connector hitboxes can't overlap, if they do then the circuit connector won't be saved in blueprints. This means I can't allow the reactor to be rotated (as it's not square), but there's no built-in way to force this. So every time a bot/player builds a reactor, it is immediately silently killed and a new one put in its place with default orientation, copying the recipe settings so it's seamless to the player.
The script then checks for a ghosted interface where the reactor would normally spawn one, and if it exists it is revived (which preserves wire connections), otherwise a new one is created.

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

"yes James. Remove that from my presence. It... Offends me" *sips overpriced wine*

GotLag posted:

I've been staying the gently caress away from that because I have things to do and need to remember to eat and bathe.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

GotLag posted:

Why did you have to tell me this existed :negative:

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Never heard of it til now. I've written in assembly language before, not gonna trick me into doing it again

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

the manual owns just fyi

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
I couldn't find a binder so my spec sheets and supplements are in their most natural state of being used as mouse surfaces and beverage coasters. As god intended.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
It's so realistic. I sit down to do circuit design and end up just playing solitaire.

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

I honestly didn't understand even basic CPU design when I took a whole drat class in it, but I'm starting to now. The wonders of experimental learning.

Too bad "Factorio and Shenzhen I/O" doesn't help on a resume.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
I've had this game for two and a half years and Steam says I have around 170 hours in it. I launched my first rocket today :shobon:

It was really fast to assemble once I set the silo up though (speed 3 beacons and productivity 3 in the silo), because my factory is pretty overdimensioned. I should just launch more rockets.

Also, Factorissimo is hilarious. It really brings out my worst side, and while trying to automate a bit of everything I ended up with this bit of offensively stupid belt spaghetti:

e: went back and checked my first post in this thread and found this screenshot:

neither me nor the game have changed much since 2014

TheFluff fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Oct 14, 2016

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011
What's the structure above the assembler making copper wire? I don't recognize it.

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC

Zomborgon posted:

I honestly didn't understand even basic CPU design when I took a whole drat class in it, but I'm starting to now. The wonders of experimental learning.

Too bad "Factorio and Shenzhen I/O" doesn't help on a resume.

If people can put 'leading WoW raids' on their resume and get away with it they should be able to list these, imo.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

Chakan posted:

What's the structure above the assembler making copper wire? I don't recognize it.

In the old screenshot? Radar, I think.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

TheFluff posted:

Also, Factorissimo is hilarious. It really brings out my worst side, and while trying to automate a bit of everything I ended up with this bit of offensively stupid belt spaghetti:

Lo Fluff. For some next level stuff, go back and put factories inside that factory to "tidy" it up. Recursion is a fine thing.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
I always wonder what people are making with all their stuff in 40 hour no rocket yet but no research mod games. Is it just non stop equipment plopping? I can barely keep the pace of my plopping on track with the pace of research.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Let me tell you of the world I used to know
50 hours in, rocket's at 20% !

Half of it was learning how to play the game again. The other half is fixing problems like coal shortage leading to a complete factory shutdown, so more learning I guess :v:

And, of course, a never-ending quest for oil:

Eight oil deposits with a ninth in progress for a very modest factory. Crude tanks are constantly at 0.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat
FFF for today is out: https://www.factorio.com/blog/post/fff-160

Worth a read for sure, Kovarex played through 0.15 to test the new science tweaks - it took him 46 hours without rushing. One important part is this

quote:

The overall feeling was, that we shouldn't add much to the game content anymore or it will become too complex and big for the newcomers. This means, that when we add nuclear power, dirty mining, and a few little things, that will be it for the vanilla part of the game. We can still do the expansion pack with additional stages of the game and space exploration later, but that is a different story.

And this part made me so happy

quote:

Finding 3 - the most needed changes
The best way to improve the game as I see it, is to minimise the annoying parts of the gameplay.
This is the list of changes for 0.15 I decided to do based on this playthrough:

Decrease the bounding box of burner mining drills,chemical plants and pumpjacks so walking in between them is possible.
Increase stack sizes of belts,walls and pipes from 50 to 100, this is mainly for the later stage of the game with personal roboports, where making train stations and expansions meant having not enough of belts and walls way too often.
Decrease crafting time of some items (engines and pumpjacks 20->10, advanced circuits 8->6)
Figure some way to have low level personal construction robots earlier in the game.
Change the oil so the minimum yield is dependent on the starting yield so better fields are also better later on.
There are more oil fields (compared to 0.13) which is a good change, but setting them up is quite a chore for big ones, so having fewer of them with higher yield would be better.
MK2 personal roboport is a must, as the limit of 10 robots per roboport is not enough in later stages of the game when building bigger setups.
Concrete shouldn't be blue science (green only)
The electric furnace should be somewhat cheaper. (Especially when it is used in science packs now)
Shift click (ghost placement) should go through trees and rocks as blueprints with shift do.
Enhancement to the belt building mechanics, so building by dragging makes continuous belt.
Limit turret creep as it is way too powerful now (especially with personal roboport) with a turret activation time. As it makes the expansion harder, the resource growth from the center should be higher.
Merging items with different health. - We didn't do the item merging, as we didn't want the player lose his precious items as two 49% items would merge into one, which would prevent the player from repairing both for just a few repair. In reality, I feel that the annoyance of having 8 different stacks of laser turrets/walls in my inventory is not worth the rare possibility of losing an item or two.
MK2 version of boiler and steam engine. It is going to be a must with the nuclear power, but it should be usable with conventional coal power generation as well.

Dev plays game and finds a load of things to make it better. I hope they add DLC soon, they deserve more of my money.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

I agree with every item in that list of improvements, especially changing the crafting time for engines and all the robot and roboport improvements.

I feel like I'm back in 0.12: I want to play the game again but I'd rather wait until the next big version is released because it's going to be so much better.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat
And 0.14.14

FactorioBot posted:

The changes for MP are nice. No need to render all those names and you'll be able to see the actual map. That alt-tab freeze got me a few times too.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
After nearly 9 (in game) days of play in my current map, it runs at about 20 UPS on my machine. So when it got as high as 35, I knew something was wrong. Turns out my entire rail system had gridlocked so nothing was happening anymore.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
I want some burner construction robots.

super fart shooter
Feb 11, 2003

-quacka fat-

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Steampunk Construction robot
1x iron plate
5x pipe
20x iron gear wheels, good sir

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

super fart shooter posted:

Steampunk Construction robot
1x iron plate
5x pipe
20x iron gear wheels, good sir

Honestly, not a bad idea, but maybe a boiler instead of the one iron plate.

Perhaps made in a water-fed assembler, to introduce the idea of using liquids in assemblers a bit earlier? It threw me off a lot when I first saw the need for lubricant and sulfuric acid in assembler recipes.

ThreeStep
Nov 5, 2009
An assembler-sized megabot that you load with materials and fuel and it chugs along back and forth constructing a blueprint would be pretty rad. I wouldn't even care if it was less efficient than a swarm of regular construction bots, just seeing it mowing down a forest while it leaves a trail of concrete and conveyor belts would be great.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Burn the world mod is heading that way. It uses clockwork parts and you need water to produce little steam engines that go into things. It's still WIP but he's getting there.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
It'd be neat if there was something like a mechanized backpack you can research at the red and green level that increases your interaction distance and can build blueprint ghosts in that range every so many seconds.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
I'm approximately midway through my first game and I've hit a bit of a wall with regards to power production. The returns from solar power aren't impressing me, and steam engines aren't really cutting it anymore either. Things reached an ugly head when I added a factorissimo building, which had a cascade effect that I didn't notice until it was too late to prevent my entire factory from coming to a dead stop.

Thanks to my tendencies to stockpile stuff, I had enough solid fuel to power one set of boilers long enough for the power grid to bootstrap itself back into working order. But this has left me looking for alternatives to what the vanilla game has to offer. So I'm looking for a mod that adds some better power options that aren't "mine even more coal and feed it into increasingly large clusters of boilers" or endless fields of solar panels.

I'm going to add the reactors mod and give that a look, but are there any others that you all can recommend as well? All the stuff I've seen on the mods website seem to be either endgame fusion power plants or wind turbines that provide half of what a solar panel does, with nothing really in-between.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

DoubleNegative posted:

I'm approximately midway through my first game and I've hit a bit of a wall with regards to power production. The returns from solar power aren't impressing me, and steam engines aren't really cutting it anymore either. Things reached an ugly head when I added a factorissimo building, which had a cascade effect that I didn't notice until it was too late to prevent my entire factory from coming to a dead stop.

Thanks to my tendencies to stockpile stuff, I had enough solid fuel to power one set of boilers long enough for the power grid to bootstrap itself back into working order. But this has left me looking for alternatives to what the vanilla game has to offer. So I'm looking for a mod that adds some better power options that aren't "mine even more coal and feed it into increasingly large clusters of boilers" or endless fields of solar panels.

I'm going to add the reactors mod and give that a look, but are there any others that you all can recommend as well? All the stuff I've seen on the mods website seem to be either endgame fusion power plants or wind turbines that provide half of what a solar panel does, with nothing really in-between.

Factorissimo blocks full of power generally works for me but I can see where you're coming from. Solar needs vast fields with batteries to cover you but once you get it there you can just forget everything else.

You could look at KS_power - the oil burner gives an alternative to solid fuels or the diesel generator which I like. You've picked up on the other alternatives.

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Why don't the poors simply buy more money?
Fun Shoe

zedprime posted:

I always wonder what people are making with all their stuff in 40 hour no rocket yet but no research mod games. Is it just non stop equipment plopping? I can barely keep the pace of my plopping on track with the pace of research.

Fun alternative: watch a factorio speed run. they launch a rocket in under 2 hours.

though it seems a bit cheat-y playing a no aggression game

Willfrey fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Oct 15, 2016

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Efficient runs get me rock hard which is why I don't understand what people are doing with resources for 40 hours if not launching rockets if they didn't download one of those research requirement multiplier mods.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

zedprime posted:

Efficient runs get me rock hard which is why I don't understand what people are doing with resources for 40 hours if not launching rockets if they didn't download one of those research requirement multiplier mods.

Hand crafting things :v:

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

zedprime posted:

loving around making things more efficient before working on oil, testing out new production chains, making tier 3 modules (this is a huge drain), hooking up more resources with trains. There's a lot that can be done to just screw around and have fun.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

I've got 120hrs on steam, and probably another 150hrs before it came out on steam, and I've never even built the rocket... base... thing.

Let alone actually launch a rocket. :v:

sink
Sep 10, 2005

gerby gerb gerb in my mouf
I'll probably launch a rocket eventually, but I'm in no rush.

Right now I'm producing resources so I can more efficiently produce resources.

It's more exciting to dump resources into building higher level speed modules faster. Because that will allow you to produce more faster, which will allow you to ...

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

Dirk the Average posted:

loving around making things more efficient before working on oil, testing out new production chains, making tier 3 modules (this is a huge drain), hooking up more resources with trains. There's a lot that can be done to just screw around and have fun.

Trabisnikof posted:

Hand crafting things :v:

Both of these, plus just being easily distracted and obsessed with making it work ~perfectly~ and then also not having enough iron/copper/coal because I didn't plan ahead and have enough room for smelting.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

zedprime posted:

Mostly letting stuff sit on belts. I'm not actually very good at planning things so actually building takes a very, very long time and I spend a lot of time just loving around and thinking about what to do next.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Let me tell you of the world I used to know
Finally finished my "getting reacquainted" game, I'm ready to mod now. The OP didn't help, though. I'm thinking mostly quality of life stuff like FARL, RSO, tanker wagons, long reach (maybe?), the goon-made nuclear reactor. Coincidentally, those are pretty much all the mods I'm aware of (besides factorissimo, bob's and angel ores but I'm not interested in those for now), so anything else? How does RSO deal with oil?