Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Rubiks Pubes posted:

I didn't realize cheese enthusiasts existed until today. Are you cheese people as insufferable as craft beer people?

Kraft cheese enthusiasts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005
Velveeta supremacy!

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Rubiks Pubes posted:

I didn't realize cheese enthusiasts existed until today. Are you cheese people as insufferable as craft beer people?

They are at least more tolerable than you, so that's good, I guess.

LooksLikeABabyRat
Jun 26, 2008

Oh dang, I'd nibble that cheese

Bought my childhood back for $7.50

Scrub-rear end Sean only had 4 badges when I loaded his save. He's getting deleted.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005
I would like to hear about more cheese purchases.

I enjoy sharp, hard cheeses. I would appreciate suggestions.

This is not irony.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

Rubiks Pubes posted:

It really annoys me when people like something.

este
Feb 17, 2004

Boing!
Dinosaur Gum
Especially something as unlikeable as cheese, I mean the only people who like that kind of stuff are people with mouths.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Haha, what do Craft Beer People do that's so annoying? Ask for bottle openers and get pretty fat?

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
Beep boop. Taste is illogical. I only need soylent.

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
Do any of those cheese makers sell online?

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Haha, what do Craft Beer People do that's so annoying? Ask for bottle openers and get pretty fat?

Mostly it's the ones that can't stop talking about how they don't understand why people drink <popular macrobrew> when they can drink Megahops Fucker IPA, it's soooooo much better

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
That's dumb. In Portland we're so inundated with HopsFucker beers that the most indy/alternative thing you can possibly do is order a Coors Light.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
Crazy hops ipas aren't even the big thing now it's all sours and barrel aged. Get with it

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
The grossest beer is the truest beer. But only if it's gross in a difficult way. The faux naive movement of beer.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

FishBulb posted:

Crazy hops ipas aren't even the big thing now it's all sours and barrel aged. Get with it

At least with barrel aged there's going to be some variety beyond "hops," "more hops" and "I emptied my fountain pen into a glass of seltzer water."

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D.
Oct 9, 2003

I've got a case of malt liquor stashed in the trunk, Mr. Marvin Gaye on the CD. We are gonna get all the way down.

Pick posted:

The grossest beer is the truest beer. But only if it's gross in a difficult way. The faux naive movement of beer.

Genny Ice is the grossest beer. I wouldn't drink that poo poo for free at frat parties when I was in college. :barf:

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

Geoj posted:

At least with barrel aged there's going to be some variety beyond "hops," "more hops" and "I emptied my fountain pen into a glass of seltzer water."

As a beer enthusiast I'm so happy that the whole IPA fad is over. It got so out of control. I can enjoy a beer with a strong hop taste but a ton of the IPAs are just "hey look how much bitterness I was able to cram in this piss soup"

PS there's a poo poo ton of beer/other food product enthusiast that are not assholes and can enjoy cheap/industrial versions of these product and not be insufferable assholes.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

KingColliwog posted:

As a beer enthusiast I'm so happy that the whole IPA fad is over. It got so out of control. I can enjoy a beer with a strong hop taste but a ton of the IPAs are just "hey look how much bitterness I was able to cram in this piss soup"

PS there's a poo poo ton of beer/other food product enthusiast that are not assholes and can enjoy cheap/industrial versions of these product and not be insufferable assholes.

I really do enjoy IPAs, even the really fuckoff hop heavy ones, but it did get out of control. Thankfully I like pretty much any style so I'll just roll with changes.

Barrel aged and sours are definitely the new fad now, which I'm cool with.

Duey
Sep 5, 2004

Hi
Nap Ghost

Pick posted:

I only drink beer ironically. Is that still a thing?

KingColliwog posted:

I wouldn't say it's 'over', it still seems to be going pretty strong. My recollection is that IPA's are still the biggest category of sales for craft beer and every year more IPA and IPA style beer seems to be coming out.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005
You know, I really was interested in cheese.

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grandpa Cthulu needs his napping chair

Grimey Drawer

VendaGoat posted:

Honestly, with cheese just start trying stuff that catches your eye. My grocery around here does small hunks for 2-5 bucks. I think you said you like hard cheese, try out Asiago or Parmesans, i the cheese section grab a long thin wedge, and nice hard one, those are usually in the same family.

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grandpa Cthulu needs his napping chair

Grimey Drawer

VendaGoat posted:

Semihard Cheeses

A broad category ranging from cheddar to Gouda, semihard cheeses can be aged anywhere from a few months to a few years, and sometimes longer.

American

Flagship Reserve: Beecher’s Handmade Cheese, Seattle, WA
A cheddarlike cow’s-milk cheese, Beecher’s Flagship Reserve develops its nutty, sharp flavors while it ages in cloth wrapping for at least a year (beechershandmadecheese.com).

Classico: Tumalo Farms, Bend, OR
This goat’s-milk cheese is sweet, like many Dutch Goudas, and nutty, like an aged Italian cheese (tumalofarms.com).

Pleasant Ridge Reserve: Uplands Cheese Company, Dodgeville, WI
An Alpine-style, golden, grassy cheese made from the milk of mixed-breed cows (uplandscheese.com).

European

England: Lincolnshire Poacher
Though often compared with cheddar, this English cow’s-milk cheese developed by dairy farmer Simon Jones has a creamier texture and tastes more mellow and sweet. It’s delicious with walnuts or apples (lincolnshirepoachercheese.com).

Spain: Garrotxa
A firm Catalonian cheese with the signature tang of goat’s milk, Garrotxa has an earthy aroma and is a terrific choice for cooking. It adds flair to pasta and pairs well with serrano ham for a Spanish-inspired grilled cheese sandwich.
Recipe: Leeks Romesco with Crumbled Garrotxa Cheese

Hard Cheeses

Hard cheeses like Parmigiano-Reggiano are defined by their firm, granular texture and salty-sharp taste.

American

Sarvecchio Parmesan: Sartori Foods, Plymouth, WI
SarVecchio is the closest thing to an American Parmigiano; moister and less assertive than its Italian cousin, it has a great balance of nutty, salty and caramelly flavors (sartorifoods.com).

Queso de Mano: Haystack Mountain Goat Dairy, Niwot, CO
Loosely translated as "handmade cheese," sweet-tart Queso de Mano was this goat dairy’s first raw-milk cheese (haystackgoatcheese.com).

Super Aged Gouda: Winchester Cheese Company, Winchester, CA
This Gouda is made in the Dutch "Boere Kaas" (farm-made) fashion with unpasteurized cow’s milk (winchestercheese.com).

European

Holland: Saenkanter
This caramelly, long-aged Dutch Gouda is crunchy with crystals (tiny protein clusters).

Italy: Piave Vecchio
Nutty and sweet, this aged cow’s-milk cheese is more mellow than classic hard cheeses like Parmigiano-Reggiano, but it’s just as lovely grated on pasta or served in chunks as part of a cheese plate.

One of my favorites not on the list is a Dubliner, its really loving good.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

VendaGoat posted:

Phone posting, but Serious Eats has a pretty good couple of articles with good cheese recommendations. Also what ^^^ recommended, especially pleasant ridge reserve.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
Session IPAs seem to be big now, which is great as they are usually much less hoppy and more well rounded.

Skrill.exe
Oct 3, 2007

"Bitcoin is a new financial concept entirely without precedent."

Flaggy posted:

Honestly...just start trying stuff that catches your eye... hunks for 2-5 bucks... like hard... i ...grab a long thin...nice hard one... usually in the same family.

I've never been so interested in cheese

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

VendaGoat posted:

I enjoy sharp, hard cheeses.

Are you sure what you like isn't swords instead of cheeses?

VendaGoat posted:

This is not irony.

Oh well swords are irony.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

:roboluv:

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
All this talk about good-rear end cheese made me want some. So I picked up some Halloumi. poo poo is delicious, but holy gently caress is it expensive.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
Bought an old flannel shirt from the 70s for like $8

Fozaldo
Apr 18, 2004

Serenity Now. Serenity Now.
:respek::respek::respek::respek::respek:
As so many people in this thread love craft beer with loads of hops here is my recommendation I have most weekends. It's an IPA made with blood oranges. My beard is also coming along.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

Rubiks Pubes posted:

I think that cheese enthusiasts are way less insufferable than uber beer and wine snobs.

Pretty much all cheese talk is "This was awesome. This other one was amazing. This one was pretty good." There's pretty much zero of the "That one that YOU like is loving garbage. The one that I like is the only good one on the planet." Also waaaayyyyy less bullshitty "This has notes of stone fruit, raw almond skin, green post oak, wet hay and Elmer's red glitter glue."

The only real cheese snobbery that you'll hear is people making fun of cheap American cheese products. Even that is a mixed bag, since many of us will willingly admit that some Velveeta queso dip is still delicious, and Kraft singles are still the one true cheese for neighborhood cookout burgers.

Eat more cheese.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Doom Rooster posted:

This one was pretty good." There's pretty much zero of the "That one that YOU like is loving garbage."

Dude, have you ever seen goons discuss cheese? Because 99% of the time, all of the time, it's 100% "That one that YOU like is loving garbage."

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

VendaGoat posted:

I would like to hear about more cheese purchases.

I enjoy sharp, hard cheeses. I would appreciate suggestions.

This is not irony.

Good quality cheeses aren't battery-powered.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Ultimate Shrek Fan posted:

All this talk about good-rear end cheese made me want some. So I picked up some Halloumi. poo poo is delicious, but holy gently caress is it expensive.

Grilled Halloumi is loving amazing.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Almost any cheese tastes amazing when grilled. Even the crappy American cheese food product can be edible in a grilled cheese.

pretty good aggro deck
Dec 31, 2007

Extinct!
Beer is gross and craft beer is hilarious especially when it's from a 'microbrewery' but is also magically available in every bar, pub and shop in the entire country.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Gonna make a cheese flavored beer and you guys won't know what the gently caress to do

RolandTower
Nov 19, 2003

Guns n' Roses n' Deus Ex Machina
Bleak Gremlin

Malf posted:

Beer is gross and craft beer is hilarious especially when it's from a 'microbrewery' but is also magically available in every bar, pub and shop in the entire country.

Cool well good thing most of it is only available locally and no one is forcing you to drink any then!

I just found a bunch of Jack Spade Oxford shirts marked down to $30 each which is the price point at which I can finally do what I've wanted to do for a while and exchange much of my collared shirt wardrobe for Jack Spade. They make a really well cut shirt.

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

I'm sorry for interrupting cheese chat, but I wanted everyone to know I bought a bus pass.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

bobmarleysghost posted:

I'm sorry for interrupting cheese chat, but o wanted everyone to know I bought a bus pass.

Is the pass...made of CHEEEEESE?