Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

The ultimate fusion of man and machine.

Chomp8645 posted:

Also if you like talking about TI3 come on down to the thread.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3651978

Looks like I some reading to do. And yes we played without the expansion (which is in the mail). Imperial definitely contributed to the game ending quicker which was broken but also good. I'll have to think about pruning the politics deck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Man, I need to play a COIN game

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

I keep missing all the goon ones :smith:

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Also, I've been spergin out reading Puzzle Strike strategy on the Fantasy Strike forums. You dudes who got deep into the dominionstrategy.com stuff might be interested in checking some of this out.

http://www.fantasystrike.com/forums/index.php?threads/puzzle-strike-general-strategy-guide-draft.4002/

Part of my glee is having another game that has this type of depth, but another less obvious part is having a game with this much depth of analysis. I just like reading about people spergin about game strategy. That was almost a bigger part of my enjoyment of Magic than actually playing it.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
So just for fun, I bought myself a complete Badger Deck. Now that I'm in possession of a 10-suited deck of cards, each running from 0 to 20, with an Ace and 10 other face cards...what wacky games can I recreate/simulate?

jmzero
Jul 24, 2007

quote:

Man, I need to play a COIN game

Yeah, this round of posts finally sold me on A Distant Plain. Hmm, let me see if it's a good deal from Amazon.ca. Some third party seller wants $309.26. Great.

Welp, I signed up for the P500. It'll have to be a somewhat further plain I guess.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

I'm up for doing a COIN game whenever, but most US people are online only when I need to sleep. Weekend? :v:

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

yo tekopo, what was the issue with FitL? you kinda mentioned it in passing but either i missed it or it got glossed over.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Tekopo posted:

I'm up for doing a COIN game whenever, but most US people are online only when I need to sleep. Weekend? :v:

Is there any way to do a PBEM?

jmzero posted:

Yeah, this round of posts finally sold me on A Distant Plain. Hmm, let me see if it's a good deal from Amazon.ca. Some third party seller wants $309.26. Great.

Welp, I signed up for the P500. It'll have to be a somewhat further plain I guess.

Yeah, I pb500'd Cuba Libre. Oh well, it will give me time to read the rules :D

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Lord Frisk posted:

yo tekopo, what was the issue with FitL? you kinda mentioned it in passing but either i missed it or it got glossed over.
The description of the My Lai massacre from the playbook:

quote:

On March 16, 1968, a platoon of the 23rd Infantry
Division under the command of 2nd Lt. William Calley Jr. massacred
22 villagers during a combat mission. Initially, the incident was
covered up, but it eventually came to light in November of 1969.
The revelation and subsequent trial of Calley drew major protests
worldwide and contributed to the weakening of US public support
for the war.

People objected (quite rightly) that the description low-balls the number of civilians killed.

EDITED: The 22 figure comes from how many villagers he was convicted of killing.

Tekopo fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Mar 23, 2015

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

jivjov posted:

So just for fun, I bought myself a complete Badger Deck. Now that I'm in possession of a 10-suited deck of cards, each running from 0 to 20, with an Ace and 10 other face cards...what wacky games can I recreate/simulate?

Do some mushrooms?

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

jivjov posted:

What a scrub-tier deck. Get with the game and get a 12-suited Rainbow Deck.:smug:
https://www.thegamecrafter.com/games/rainbow-deck

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

jivjov posted:

You're about 80% of the way to Pandante, if you make the betting board and use 2nd edition rules (which are way better).

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Rutibex posted:

What a scrub-tier deck. Get with the game and get a 12-suited Rainbow Deck.:smug:
https://www.thegamecrafter.com/games/rainbow-deck

I looked at that one...but I liked the style of the Badger deck better.

Zveroboy
Apr 17, 2007

If you take those sheep again I will bury this fucking axe in your skull.
I'm having a few friends over in a couple weeks for Tabletop Day and I feel that my collection is still missing a sort of grand "centerpiece" game. Something that would last a few hours, get us talking, scheming, teaming up, backstabbing and warring. I'm lookng at A Game of Thrones: The Board Game, how does that play with 4 people?

Obviously if there's going to be four of us, Chaos in the Old World ticks the boxes as well. AGoT has the advantage that my girlfriend also really enjoys the show, so it wouldn't be a massive leap to get her to play it when there's enough people, whereas the worlds of Warhammer or D&D are pretty unknown to her.

What are the science fiction offerings? I have a distinct lack of sci-fi games (only Quantum and Cosmic Encounter at the moment, but I plan on culling Cosmic from my collection soon) so something of that genre would be nice, but I don't know much about Eclipse and all I know about Twilight Imperium is it might be too long?

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
Eclipse is OK, I guess, but its combat system is pretty janky and it's not very well balanced.

Offhand, the best scifi game I can think of is probably Eminent Domain or Battlestar Galactica.

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

It begins with s and ends with pace alert

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

keep yr head up, problem girl

Zveroboy posted:

I'm having a few friends over in a couple weeks for Tabletop Day and I feel that my collection is still missing a sort of grand "centerpiece" game. Something that would last a few hours, get us talking, scheming, teaming up, backstabbing and warring. I'm lookng at A Game of Thrones: The Board Game, how does that play with 4 people?

The base game for AGoT is strictly a six player game. (You could maybe swing five, but not using the official rules. Instead of making Martell neutral, remove Greyjoy and mark Pike Island as inaccessible.) Four is absolutely terrible. That said, there is an expansion for AGoT called A Feast for Crows that specifically retools the game for four players. I've not had a chance to play it, but it might be an option.

As far as Sci-Fi games, you still can't do better than Space Alert and Galaxy Trucker.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
These are also some four player variants on BGG, I have no idea how good they are.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Zveroboy posted:

Obviously if there's going to be four of us, Chaos in the Old World ticks the boxes as well. AGoT has the advantage that my girlfriend also really enjoys the show, so it wouldn't be a massive leap to get her to play it when there's enough people, whereas the worlds of Warhammer or D&D are pretty unknown to her.

What are the science fiction offerings? I have a distinct lack of sci-fi games (only Quantum and Cosmic Encounter at the moment, but I plan on culling Cosmic from my collection soon) so something of that genre would be nice, but I don't know much about Eclipse and all I know about Twilight Imperium is it might be too long?

Game of Thrones is very subpar at four players. It's so broken that house rules are mandatory to have a match that isn't a joke at that level. As someone who owns and enjoys the game with six players, I can say without reservation that you should not even consider purchasing it for a four person group. It's a six player only game. Five if you're really desperate and do the house rule.

Twilight Imperium is a good game and it works fine with four players. However yes it is very long and fiddly for new groups. Also keep in mind that it is a huge burden to host this game. The host must have near encyclopedic knowledge of the rules in order to do it right without going hours over your time estimate. Just today some guy posted in the thread about his first game and gave props to his friend's clever winning move. Then we all had to explain why his friend's move was not only illegal, but illegal in two different ways, and it's actually impossible that he won because they hosed the whole thing up. That said it's probably the most intense and exciting strategy game I've ever played and worth it if you're willing to go through the effort. It's great but it's a commitment.

Chaos is the Old World I haven't played but it's nearly universally praised by anyone who really cares/knows about game mechanics. That said the theme is a turnoff for some people and if you're group is not used to (or just bad) at strategy games then the balance will take a few games to shake out and whoever playes Khorne will win. Probably the best option overall unless your friends hate the theme.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

How is that Feast of Crows expansion?

Edit: Also, I would go for Chaos in the Old World, yep

fozzy fosbourne fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Mar 24, 2015

PlaneGuy
Mar 28, 2001

g e r m a n
e n g i n e e r i n g

Yam Slacker

jivjov posted:

Pairs is a triangle deck up to 10 (so 1 one, 2 twos, 3 threes, 4 fours, 5 fives, etc to 10 tens)

Great Dalmuti is a triangle deck up to 12, but you need that other wacky deck to do that.

I dunno what you do otherwise, maybe some bizzare multi-suited No Thanks or 6Nimmt but you have to know the ranking of suits. 200-pickup?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
EXTREME Go Fish

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Zveroboy posted:

I haven't played it enough to make a strong recommendation for it, let alone at 4 players, but look into Fief. I had a really good time with my five player game, despite my d'Arc warmonger getting assassinated in the rain while laying siege to a city. But I would definitely go with CitOW with 4 as a tried and true game, although there's not really too much backstabbing since nobody should ever trust anybody else. Surprised nobody has recommended Kemet yet, but there it is. Again, not too much with the scheming and backstabbing, but a whole lot of fighting going on.

Other games that scratch that "heavily political" itch are Archipelago, a negotiation game masquerading as a resource gathering game, and Tammany Hall, a game of trading political favors in an area control game.

On the topic of space games, Theseus: The Dark Orbit is a really solid sci-fi game, although I think, like Tash Kalar, 4p is where it's weakest. 2p or 3p is the sweet spot.

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

With that deck you could play Slovenian Tarock which is really fun. With four players it has hidden partnerships.

Blamestorm
Aug 14, 2004

We LOL at death! Watch us LOL. Love the LOL.
How good is Tammany Hall anyway? I love the idea of it but I thought it had been described as a bit overhyped due to being out of print for a while.

Prairie Bus
Sep 22, 2006

Blamestorm posted:

How good is Tammany Hall anyway? I love the idea of it but I thought it had been described as a bit overhyped due to being out of print for a while.

Tammany Hall is great. It doesn't have many rules, it's easy to teach, and it is a fairly tight game. On top of that, the theme comes across very well. Elections are vicious affairs, with players slandering each other ruthlessly in the final rounds before the votes. And then whoever is left winning the mayoral spot is stuck in the terrible (but supremely interesting) position of empowering each of her rivals.

Tammany Hall is well worth your time as an easy to teach game with a rewarding amount of emergent complexity and theme.

Caveat: I've never played El Grande. I've heard Tammany Hall get compared to that, and can't say if it's better or not.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Someone buy and play space empires 4x and lemme know if its the best or not

Blamestorm
Aug 14, 2004

We LOL at death! Watch us LOL. Love the LOL.
Space Empires 4X can be a great game, particularly with the expansion, but with major caveats. By default the game often kind of relies on either players agreeing to end it after one player gets significantly ahead or risk an incredibly long slow grind to play the game out. It has the classic problem where one players economy and tech can jump ahead of the others, but the slog to eliminate everyone else's homeworld can take forever despite it being an eventual fait accompli.

The game includes a lot of optional bits and pieces as well as alternative game modes, and the expansion adds even more, so finding a combination that hits the right balance for the player count, game experience level and desired game length can be challenging, especially in a 3+ player game. The combat can also be a bit fiddly and subject to major upsets.

All that having been said there is no game that I'm aware of that is as pure a space war game. It has a great fog of war, mostly simultaneous turns, and the economic/research stuff is really good IMO although it will turn some people off (pen and paper on printed charts). If you agree on victory conditions that are not 'to the death' (eg. Such as VPs for controlling certain systems, turn limits) you can find the right balance for the game but it bothers me that there isn't more guidance on this in the box and that I have no idea if a particular set of conditions/addons is balanced until I play it quite a bit.

I would like to play it more but a couple of never ending games kind of soured me on it a bit, although paradoxically I really enjoyed and was hyper engaged for most of that time. It just disincentivises getting it out given I have to decide how much to throw in for new players and what kind of game objective/end we should aim for. There might be better opinions on this online at BGG now, I haven't checked for ages.

Basically it's a very sandboxy kind of game with tons of flexibility but also requiring more consideration upfront to make sure you aren't about to go through hell. If I recall correctly there is no system supported diplomacy/politics -like the victory conditions, it kind of requires the players to make a determination. This really bothers me on the victory side - there were more options provided in the expansion, but the designer has always been kind of "when do you call it quits? Up to the players, but here are some alternatives I just came up with if you prefer having a 'simpler' game." I am not happy with this approach, which kills me because otherwise I think there is a lot to like.

Blamestorm fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Mar 24, 2015

elgarbo
Mar 26, 2013

Zveroboy posted:

Contrary to other opinions, I've only ever played with four and enjoyed it each time. That said, we house ruled the heck out of it - cut Dorne out entirely. I can see why five or six would add to the craziness of it, but with four we ended up with these incredibly tense standoffs, two versus two.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

elgarbo posted:

Contrary to other opinions, I've only ever played with four and enjoyed it each time. That said, we house ruled the heck out of it - cut Dorne out entirely. I can see why five or six would add to the craziness of it, but with four we ended up with these incredibly tense standoffs, two versus two.

Don't listen to this man. If you do listen to this man however then at least listen to him all the way and house rule the heck out of it.

But just not listening is better.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

HAS ANYONE PLAYED THE FEAST FOR CROWS EXPANSION 4 PLAYER?

CAN ANYONE HEAR ME IN HERE?

quote:

A Feast for Crows is the second expansion for A Game of Thrones: The Board Game (Second Edition). This four-player scenario includes setup instructions and adds house cards for House Arryn. Also introduced is a deck of Objective cards and four Special Objective cards, one for each House, that alter the way players score Victory Points.

quote:

Average Rating: 8.08/10
473 Ratings 144 Comments Graph

Seriously though, as much as I want to play AGoT more and maybe get Rex to the drat table some day, trying to organize a group of exactly 6 core dork lords to play something like that is super hard because that's actually the worst player count for just about every other serious game

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

fozzy fosbourne posted:

HAS ANYONE PLAYED THE FEAST FOR CROWS EXPANSION 4 PLAYER?

CAN ANYONE HEAR ME IN HERE?

Yes we can hear you. But chances are that almost anyone who has the game gave up on trying to play it with four players a long time ago. It's too little, too late. The game is cemented in people's minds as a six player title and I wouldn't be surprised if next to nobody owns it (the expansion) for that reason.

Meme Poker Party fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Mar 24, 2015

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

poo poo, I guess that means I got work to do

elgarbo
Mar 26, 2013

Chomp8645 posted:

Don't listen to this man. If you do listen to this man however then at least listen to him all the way and house rule the heck out of it.

But just not listening is better.

Maybe I just need a point of comparison - we've never been able to get it to the table with more than four.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

I'm surprised nobody said anything about the Mottainai PnP, despite the hubbub about it earlier in thread. I only played Glory to Rome once so I have no idea how it compares or if it's just a skin of GTR.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Man Monikers looks like fun, but $50 to get it over to Australia :(

EvilChameleon
Nov 20, 2003

In my infinite money,
the jimmies rustle softly.
I played Le Havre tonight for the first time. It took a while to have it explained and for it to make sense, but after that it sailed along well. I did absolutely horribly (26 points I think?) and spent most of the game just trying to feed people because the food costs went up so fast. However, I really liked it and I feel like with some more plays I could really dig into it. We played the shortened version (which doesn't have special buildings) but I don't know how that changes it too much from normal other than it's a bit bumpier. I'm definitely going to play it again, but what's the replay like? Does it shift up a lot or is it mostly the same thing?

I also managed to teach Argent to my roommates while drinking and despite them not necessarily being adept at board games, they figured it out and we played the game. I thought the game might be a bit on the complex side for learning but it really is just about choices and managing everything going on at once.

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

You know, I've got a funny feeling I've seen this all before.

GrandpaPants posted:

I'm surprised nobody said anything about the Mottainai PnP, despite the hubbub about it earlier in thread. I only played Glory to Rome once so I have no idea how it compares or if it's just a skin of GTR.

There's some similarities (clients, a central pool, construct with cards from hand or a stash) but the main mechanic for playing your turn isn't quite the same and neither is the game end condition.

I might actually PnP this one, it looks interesting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

GrandpaPants posted:

I'm absolutely going to PnP this, I'm rather excited. The only part I don't like is the bit about scoring cards in hand at the end.