Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Also there’s nothing racist about the Ghetto Plan, because having brown-skinned residents is only one of the factors in determining Ghetto status, and it is a mere statistical anomaly that no area without a solid contingent of “foreign Danes” happens to qualify.

Actually, having over 60% "non-western" residents (or descendants) is enough to qualify for ghetto status by itself.

And only areas with a majority of "non-western" residents (or descendants) can legally be defined as a ghetto. The rest are "socially disadvantaged".

SplitSoul fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Nov 26, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Revelation 2-13
May 13, 2010

Pillbug

Demiurge4 posted:

Boy am I eating crow, did they just co-opt every racist position?

I wish this wasn't the honest to god truth, but the current danish soc dem party has almost literally the same economic policy as the Venstre had in the 90ties (basically laissez faire capitalism is the goal). Their current immigration policy is indistinguishable from extremely nationalist Danish Peoples Party policy, which frankly seems tame compared literal white supremacists and nazis in de nye borgerlige. They're better at pretending to care about the climate, but their economic policy obviously makes anything other than symbolic gestures impossible.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

SplitSoul posted:

Actually, having over 60% "non-western" residents (or descendants) is enough to qualify for ghetto status by itself.

And only areas with a majority of "non-western" residents (or descendants) can legally be defined as a ghetto. The rest are "socially disadvantaged".

I had a fact checker walk me through the process, and at that point there were four criteria, one of which was having at least 50% “non-Western” residents, and a socially disadvantaged non-brown could theoretically be a ghetto if it ticked the other three boxes, though no such cases currently exist, but that was back when the Løkke government was still pitching the idea. I guess they changed it at some point to eliminate any potential veneer of not being racist.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

I had a fact checker walk me through the process, and at that point there were four criteria, one of which was having at least 50% “non-Western” residents, and a socially disadvantaged non-brown could theoretically be a ghetto if it ticked the other three boxes, though no such cases currently exist, but that was back when the Løkke government was still pitching the idea. I guess they changed it at some point to eliminate any potential veneer of not being racist.

Yeah, it was changed last year or the year before, IIRC.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Fair enough. :sigh:

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Should've checked before I said anything. The 60% criterion was apparently only a proposal from the previous government. The rest holds up, though.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

social democrats: less racist than actual fascists

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

V. Illych L. posted:

social democrats: less racist than actual fascists

They still voted for the explicit ethnicity criterion and enshrining the word "ghetto" in legislation, so no.

Like, not even the actual Third Reich used that word officially.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Welp. I'm trying to apply for partial sjukersättning. Haven't gotten as far as needing to fill out the forms and send them in yet (still got weeks and a doctor's appointment first) but it's going to be interesting to see how many months it'll take before it's denied. :toot:

Poil fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Nov 26, 2019

Mercrom
Jul 17, 2009

SplitSoul posted:

They still voted for the explicit ethnicity criterion and enshrining the word "ghetto" in legislation, so no.

Like, not even the actual Third Reich used that word officially.

is that a point in favor for the nazis?

i support the government acknowledging and identifying ghettos or slums or whatever you wanna call it and actually doing something about it. but not the nazi poo poo the danes are doing

vuk83
Oct 9, 2012
The best part is some of the municipalities began to offer cash bounties, to get former criminals to move out, just to get off the list.
Cue all the usual suspect getting their panties in a bunch.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Moving from ghetto to ghetto, raking in 15K a pop.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

At the same time they're preventing well-paid, foreign academics from moving into these neighbourhoods, on threat of revoking residency permits.

Mercrom posted:

is that a point in favor for the nazis?

i support the government acknowledging and identifying ghettos or slums or whatever you wanna call it and actually doing something about it. but not the nazi poo poo the danes are doing

No, I'm just pointing out that we're the only country in the world employing the term officially, alongside a definition centered on ethnicity.

SplitSoul fucked around with this message at 09:27 on Nov 27, 2019

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Maybe officially sanctioned dedicated slums was a bad move after all.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

maybe denmark was a bad move after all

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

V. Illych L. posted:

maybe denmark bad

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

also: lol the minister of justice personally intervened to tell the police to stand down and let people burn the koran because free speech

i don't even disagree, necessarily, but it's such a chickenshit thing to do, and one about which it's going to be impossible to have a rational conversation

death to 2019

Mercrom
Jul 17, 2009
idgi whats cowardly about telling police not to harrass people

the things i read about denmark in this thread makes it sound like the least sympathetic nation on the planet. i think that if sweden and israel switched places we would be worse. denmark has almost the same historical and contemporary privileges as a nation but seem to be bending over backwards to be racist

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

V. Illych L. posted:

also: lol the minister of justice personally intervened to tell the police to stand down and let people burn the koran because free speech

i don't even disagree, necessarily, but it's such a chickenshit thing to do, and one about which it's going to be impossible to have a rational conversation

death to 2019

The fact that people is unironically defending book burnings and not be in the wrong us proog that we live in the darkest loving timeline.

The føkkings cops hosed up so badly we actually have to defend racists.

Alhazred fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Nov 27, 2019

Eschenique
Jul 19, 2019

A coworker told me that he saw on the news that paramedics in Sweden now need protective vests. With a wink and nudge to imply that this is due to all the violent immigrant gangs attacking paramedics.

Also that nuclear power is better than wind power because building wind turbines is worse for the environment than just not shutting down reactors. Also the turbines are bad for the people around them because they're ugly and hydroelectric power is bad for the salmon.

I can just imagine whatever liberal centrist on TV he saw make the case for the poor salmon and how nuclear power is their salvation. I wonder what that persons opinion is on other environmental policies.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Eschenique posted:

A coworker told me that he saw on the news that paramedics in Sweden now need protective vests. With a wink and nudge to imply that this is due to all the violent immigrant gangs attacking paramedics.

Also that nuclear power is better than wind power because building wind turbines is worse for the environment than just not shutting down reactors. Also the turbines are bad for the people around them because they're ugly and hydroelectric power is bad for the salmon.

I can just imagine whatever liberal centrist on TV he saw make the case for the poor salmon and how nuclear power is their salvation. I wonder what that persons opinion is on other environmental policies.

Probably terrible, but at least they aren't wrong about the reactors.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Windmills do take a lot of steel to build compared to their power output and wear out faster than you'd think. Solar, hydro, wave, geothermic are better if available, and we still have the issue of renewables being unpredictable, although that can be mitigated somewhat with power storage solutions.

If we could get our poo poo together, nuclear power would be a great option, but that's a huge-rear end "if".

Reducing our power consumption and improving efficiency is a top priority.

Agree on the rest, though. And the protective vest for paramedics stuff is typical anti-immigrant BS.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Nov 27, 2019

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Eschenique posted:

salmon are hosed and hydroelectric is pure havoc on the environment. nuclear power is Good.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

to expand a bit on the hydroelectric power bit: it's very CO2-efficient, but it's also got a huge local footprint. some places in norway, this isn't a big problem because the river runs on what amounts to bare rock, but other places have seen entire ecosystems just wiped out because losing a stream is a very big change to happen overnight.

wild salmon are incredibly pressured population-wise both from escaped aquaculture fish and from habitat destruction. wind power is also pretty unfortunate on that note, though not as bad as hydroelectric.

habitat destruction and light pollution are, after climate change, the biggest current ecological catastrophes imo. one of those is actually pretty easy to do something about; the other requires change on a similar magnitude to climate change itself, unfortunately

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp
Habitat destruction is what's going to gently caress us up, and with a particularly bad crop year Norway's gonna learn the hard way what happens when people don't want to trade food. B-but the free market :qq:

Yeah well tell it to the depleted atlantic cod stocks and the grocery duopolies crushing domestic farming.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

KozmoNaut posted:

Windmills do take a lot of steel to build compared to their power output and wear out faster than you'd think. Solar, hydro, wave, geothermic are better if available, and we still have the issue of renewables being unpredictable, although that can be mitigated somewhat with power storage solutions.

If we could get our poo poo together, nuclear power would be a great option, but that's a huge-rear end "if".

Reducing our power consumption and improving efficiency is a top priority.

Agree on the rest, though. And the protective vest for paramedics stuff is typical anti-immigrant BS.

Nuclear power, even in its current state is strictly less dangerous than any comparable source of electricity. Even in the hands of a shady utility company nuclear power is much less dangerous to people and the environment than coal, gas, oil and hydroelectric power. The only poo poo we need to get together when it comes to nuclear is loving using it*.

*With the caveat that nuclear power can be very expensive, especially when it comes to initial capital investment, so partial or complete state ownership or at least significant subsidies would be necessary.

Randarkman fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Nov 27, 2019

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

imo we should just do state energy expansion. just outright establish a new power company meant to get a domestic nuclear industry going, and if necessary to do the whole shebang. it's too late, but it's been too late for twenty years now, might as well just bite the loving bullet

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

build some of those floating power plants that the russians have, park them outside disaster zones for free goodwill. make huge nuclear-powered superfreighters. feel the pleasant warmth of the atom

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

V. Illych L. posted:

imo we should just do state energy expansion. just outright establish a new power company meant to get a domestic nuclear industry going, and if necessary to do the whole shebang. it's too late, but it's been too late for twenty years now, might as well just bite the loving bullet

Social Democrat: "What if—guys, just hear me out—what if... we then sold it to Goldman Sachs?"

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

nuke goldman sachs

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

V. Illych L. posted:

It's just a loving shame with nuclear power. We've had a decent alternative to burning fossil fuels since the 50s, but we hosed it up.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

V. Illych L. posted:

nuke goldman sachs

:hmmyes:

Eschenique
Jul 19, 2019

V. Illych L. posted:

build some of those floating power plants that the russians have, park them outside disaster zones for free goodwill. make huge nuclear-powered superfreighters. feel the pleasant warmth of the atom

Now this is a good idea. Instead of Sweden having to keep their nuclear power plants on the closest land to Copenhagen they can just float it into the harbor!

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

https://www.svt.se/kultur/sd-personer-utan-svenskt-medborgarskap-ska-inte-fa-lana-bocker

quote:

Den som inte är svensk medborgare ska kunna nekas tillgång till vissa bibliotekstjänster. Det föreslår Sverigedemokraterna i en riksdagsmotion, rapporterar Biblioteksbladet.– Det är väldigt anmärkningsvärt, säger kulturminister Amanda Lind (MP) till Kulturnyheterna.

Den som inte är svensk medborgare ska kunna nekas tillgång till boklån och andra bibliotekstjänster. Det föreslår Sverigedemokraterna i en riksdagsmotion, något som Biblioteksbladet var först med att rapportera om. Enligt motionen ska medborgare från andra nordiska länder fortsatt kunna låna böcker.

?!?!?!

Rutkowski
Apr 28, 2008

CAN YOU BELIEVE THIS GUY?
It's dumb and racist as gently caress but even if, against all sensibilities, a law would pass the librarians would circumvent it cause holy poo poo if there's a group of people who are really passionate in their work in getting more people to read it's the librarians. Since this became public at least three cities' public libraries have already started working on off-the-book solutions just in case.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
That's similar to the FrP position in Norway. Aside from the usual racist motivations old voters in these parties have always been annoyed with kids spending time in "their" libraries, the majority of whom are poor and/or brown. They also keep going on about banning video games from libraries for the same reason.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

So those people who need to learn Swedish should be barred from getting books in Swedish from the library.

Makes perfect sense.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

thotsky posted:

They also keep going on about banning video games from libraries for the same reason.

FrP wants libraries to appear outdated so that they can shut them down. When the libraries actually does thing to correct that FrP claims that they are not doing their jobs (which is, according to them, limited to lending out books) so they should be shut down.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

KozmoNaut posted:

So those people who need to learn Swedish should be barred from getting books in Swedish from the library.

Makes perfect sense.
There's no contradiction from the POV of these people: They don't need to learn Swedish, they need to go home.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Alhazred posted:

FrP wants libraries to appear outdated so that they can shut them down. When the libraries actually does thing to correct that FrP claims that they are not doing their jobs (which is, according to them, limited to lending out books) so they should be shut down.

an interesting point here is that everybody loves the libraries - they're legitimately the most popular institution in norway, at least. this means that directly and openly attacking them is very difficult, hence the whining about core tasks etc