Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord
can't wait for my drill to DDOS some hospital soon

Researchers find flaws in an internet-connected drill..

https://threatpost.com/internet-enabled-drill-demonstrates-iot-security-done-right/126408/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
how long till i can get linux on a claw hammer

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

how long till i can get linux on something that i want linux to be on

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

communism bitch posted:

how long till i can get linux on a claw hammer

about -13 years

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Volmarias posted:

The thinly veiled American Politics YOSPOS thread is this way, friends. Leave this thread for a actual sec fucks please.

You SOB, don't point them there

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

infernal machines posted:

You SOB, don't point them there
it's fine once they're all inside we lock the doors and open a new thread

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
mazda, or why you shouldn't just autoexecute any scripts you can find on a flash drive

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
that has a bunch of scary words about how people figured out how to write homebrew apps

it's like the equivalent of "hackers can turn your wii into a bomb!"

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
The only dangerous thing about that is that you're voiding your warranty to put sikkk apps on your car. If you don't care about that then have fun I guess.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

cis autodrag posted:

The only dangerous thing about that is that you're voiding your warranty to put sikkk apps on your car. If you don't care about that then have fun I guess.

Just backup your current settings then restore the backup of the original system when you go in ezpz

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

assuming the infotainment system has 0 access to anything else, it's still monumentally dumb to have the system autoexec scripts from removable media, also to allow unsigned code

i'm having the xda-forumz experience on your dash is neat and all though

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

Just backup your current settings then restore the backup of the original system when you go in ezpz

assuming you can unflip all the "poo poo was installed" bits after you ran whoever's node script all over the innards of your Miata

burning swine
May 26, 2004

cis autodrag posted:

voiding the warranty for that reason would be a flagrant violation of the magnuson–moss warranty act

mazda would need to prove beyond any doubt that the installation of sikkkk appz caused damage to the car

Hunter2 Thompson
Feb 3, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
it would be shameful if Mazda didn't use a file system overlay for r/w access on top of a read only file system. wiping out the overlay partition should be all that's necessary to factory reset in that case.

also the entertainment computer might be on a vehicle CAN bus if they're using steering wheel volume and track controls.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Subjunctive posted:

assuming you can unflip all the "poo poo was installed" bits after you ran whoever's node script all over the innards of your Miata

it runs on qnx iirc so if anything you can always run a script that does the opposite of whatever the sw888 node script did

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

here's a bit better writeup on it

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

infernal machines posted:

assuming the infotainment system has 0 access to anything else, it's still monumentally dumb to have the system autoexec scripts from removable media, also to allow unsigned code

i'm having the xda-forumz experience on your dash is neat and all though

they said it has read-access to the canbus, which is a dramatic improvement over Chrysler who gave full r-w to it. hopefully the auto folks are learning to segment to mitigate the worst of compromises

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

they said it has read-access to the canbus, which is a dramatic improvement over Chrysler who gave full r-w to it. hopefully the auto folks are learning to segment to mitigate the worst of compromises

have you seen the cars with android based infotainment systems that have full read/write to the CAN bus (mostly to control the HVAC)?

i've been spending a lot of time on this subject at work

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

it runs on qnx iirc so if anything you can always run a script that does the opposite of whatever the sw888 node script did

sure, you just have to find all of the side-effects and hope the logging isn't append-only

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
i've had two american rental cars this year, and the dumb *nix based headunit software in my mazda is 1000x better than the hot turds ford and gm are pushing out

utf-8 support lol

burning swine
May 26, 2004

i have an android nav/infotainment system in a car too old to have a CAN bus :grin:

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

have you seen the cars with android based infotainment systems that have full read/write to the CAN bus (mostly to control the HVAC)?

i've been spending a lot of time on this subject at work

buddy I drive a 12 year old hunk of steel and the ecu is the most intelligent part of it

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

buddy I drive a 12 year old hunk of steel and the ecu is the most intelligent part of it

same except a 14 year old hunk of plastic

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
same except a 100 year old hunk of rust

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
I drive a volt. :smug:

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

includes the driver

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

This and various other car gently caress ups are why I'm not keen on buying a new car, although I suppose I probably ought to get something now before GSM integration is all but universal.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Volmarias posted:

This and various other car gently caress ups are why I'm not keen on buying a new car, although I suppose I probably ought to get something now before GSM integration is all but universal.

Why would people be integrating a standard that's already shut off by AT&T and will be shut off nationwide on all major carriers by 2020?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

fishmech posted:

Why would people be integrating a standard that's already shut off by AT&T and will be shut off nationwide on all major carriers by 2020?

Probably not that GSM

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

xpost:

Birdstrike posted:

https://twitter.com/guardianaus/status/877735675298275328

quote:

Approximately 55 traffic cameras in Victoria have been infected with the WannaCry ransomware, according to the Victorian department of justice.

Intersection and highway cameras across the state have been affected by the malware, which caused chaos around the world by attacking the British National Health Service and other organisations in May.

A department spokesman said all 55 cameras had been “operating correctly and accurately” while infected, but that the issue had been referred to the road safety camera commissioner.

If the commission finds motorists have been incorrectly fined as a result of the infection, the department said it would withdraw the affected fines.

In a statement, the department said a system patch had been applied to prevent the spread of the virus, and affected cameras would be fixed “in the next couple of days”.

But Melbourne radio station 3AW said the infection had been discovered earlier this month, but had only been referred to the commissioner once the station reported the story on Thursday.

When attached to a computer, ransomware encrypts local files and demands hundreds of dollars from users to return access. In May, WannaCry disrupted American multinational FedEx; Telefónica, Spain’s largest telecommunications company; and the NHS, cancelling operations and blocking access to patient records and phones.

The department of justice said Victoria’s infection was not the result of a targeted attack, but was caused by a contractor mistakenly connecting infected hardware to cameras.

The company that supplies Victoria’s traffic cameras, Redflex, has been contacted for comment.

In March, Redflex renewed its contract to supply cameras to New South Wales Roads & Maritime Services, and in October last year won a contract to expand the state’s in-vehicle speed camera program with forty new cameras.

The road safety camera commissioner has been contacted for comment.

haha smash the state

lmaooo

ozymandOS
Jun 9, 2004

Lain Iwakura posted:

:getout:

don't post in this thread again, idiot

duTrieux. posted:

you didn't say my true name backwards

Subjunctive posted:

he said it forwards

late but w/e

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

turn your ignition on lol

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Q!=E

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

turn your ignition on lol

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
lol developers https://github.com/ChALkeR/notes/blob/master/Gathering-weak-npm-credentials.md

quote:

One of the passwords with access to publish koa was literally «password».

One of the users directly controlling more than 20 million downloads/month chose to improve their previously revoked leaked password by adding a ! to it at the end.

One of those 4 users from the top-20 list set their password back to the leaked one shortly after it was reset (so it got reset again).

quote:

662 users had password «123456», 168 — «123», 115 — «password».

1409 users (1%) used their username as their password, in its original form, without any modifications.

10% of users reused their leaked passwords: 9.7% — directly, and 0.6% — with very minor modifications.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

roskomnadzor google.ru access ban has begun rolling out to ISPs :allears:

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

Midjack posted:

includes the driver

goongrats on getting: "jokes"

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

does NPM still let you delete packages you own completely from the service? i remember a while ago someone had a tantrum and deleted a package that was depended on by like, every other package and broke most of everything because NPM just lets you do that poo poo

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

the best congress money can buy!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

:thejoke:

e: only psoting that because people became so lazy that making a simpsons ref was tiresome

• Locked thread