Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 27 days!

Propaniac posted:

My (24F) boyfriend (32M) told me he was a doctor. I walked in on him behind the counter at Taco Bell.

The way 50 Shades of Grey was supposed to end

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deported to Canada
Jun 1, 2006

TACD posted:

My sister had her wedding on my birthday and now she remembers my birthday better than I do, lol

I mentioned in the last thread about my little brother getting married on my birthday, they checked with me first and as an adult I didn't mind at all. I now have to also remember their anniversary when they call by.

Shithouse Dave
Aug 5, 2007

each post manufactured to the highest specifications

I’ve never been one for birthday parties for myself, but 21 is a milestone birthday, and a lot of people do look forward to it, and have family and friends who want to celebrate that entry to adulthood.

One of the most rewarding and gratifying things that’s happened in my life was my 40th birthday party. I wasn’t really planning on having a party, but my mates talked me into it at the pub. I was just merry enough to make a Facebook invite, and I expected maybe a dozen people would show up. What happened was, I went away the week before with my parents, sister, brother-in-law and nephew for a few days, and we had a big cake for my nephew’s third birthday. I flew back home the day of the party to find that my flatmates had cleaned and decorated the house, and put a marquee tent up in the back yard, and we had probably 80-100 people over the course of the night at our house to celebrate me. It’s one of the top 3 best parties I’ve ever been to, and all organised and orchestrated by the people that love me. I hadn’t realised until that point just how many people I have in my life that love me. I cried (happy tears) on the night, and if I think about it hard enough I can still tear up a bit in gratitude.

I think everyone deserves at least one of those experiences in their life.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

Hughlander posted:

What about this one?

WIBTA if I skipped my sister's wedding?

Update - 11 days later

There's a lot more updates but meh it's already a wall of text.

I would like the updates, I want to watch Erin and the mom self-destruct :munch:

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

mom and dad fight a lot posted:

The way 50 Shades of Grey was supposed to end

50 Shades of Brown.

You know, because Taco Bell causes turds.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

He's got a PhD, is an adjunct professor/lab assisstant and still needs to pick up a few shifts at the bell

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Yeah, I can’t imagine why anyone may feel the need to celebrate surviving another year these days.

deported to Canada
Jun 1, 2006

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Yeah, I can’t imagine why anyone may feel the need to celebrate surviving another year these days.

:therapy:

Captain Fargle
Feb 16, 2011

Difficult times mean the accomplishment of another year is all the greater.

edgeman83
Jul 13, 2003

ApplesandOranges posted:

AITA for telling my girlfriend not to call my dad “doctor”?

I have two completely opposite Dr. title stories. The first was the high school principal we had for a year. She required everyone, students parents and teachers, to call her by her full title. She was just as pleasant as she sounded and I think the teachers had a fun night out when she was finally shitcanned.

The second was probably the chillest professor I had in college. He taught computer science and engineering classes and I think I learned more from him than anyone else. He also had a doctorate but only wanted people to call him by his first name because, I poo poo you not, his late name was Doom. drat was hard to not call him Dr. Doom.

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

edgeman83 posted:

The second was probably the chillest professor I had in college. He taught computer science and engineering classes and I think I learned more from him than anyone else. He also had a doctorate but only wanted people to call him by his first name because, I poo poo you not, his late name was Doom. drat was hard to not call him Dr. Doom.

That’s like the one situation where it’s 100% reasonable - cool and good, in fact - to demand people refer to you by your title

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
Doom makes no demands or empty threats.

Doom enforces

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

edgeman83 posted:

I have two completely opposite Dr. title stories. The first was the high school principal we had for a year. She required everyone, students parents and teachers, to call her by her full title. She was just as pleasant as she sounded and I think the teachers had a fun night out when she was finally shitcanned.

So you called him Victor, or maybe Vic?

mania
Sep 9, 2004

Malachite_Dragon posted:

I would like the updates, I want to watch Erin and the mom self-destruct :munch:

Enjoy!

UPDATE 2: WIBTA if I skipped my sister's wedding?

quote:

It's been about 5 months since I've last posted, and I've had some requests for an update, so I figured I'd sit down and write one up. Bare in mind, a lot can happen in 5 months, and that's definitely true for this!

Let me start off with July. Erin and George went on their Honeymoon, and their absence sent our Mom into a frenzy. She wasn't used to having no one around; someone was always visiting. Mostly Erin, but the rest of us would visit out of obligation and to see Nadia and Lexie. With Erin on her Honeymoon and the rest of us NC, Mom had no visitors and she really didn't like that. Literally the DAY after Erin left, we started getting bombarded with phone calls. She tried convincing Nadia first, which Lydia thought was a strategic move because Nadia is the more timid of all of us and, thus, more likely to be persuaded. When Nadia turned her down, she turned her sights on the rest of us. We all got identical phone calls with her trying to persuade us to go visit her, to understand her, to see things from Erin's perspective. She even brought up the circumstances of Erin's premature birth and how it was a miracle that she was even here. Josh told her to 'do better with Lexie.' Lydia blocked her number.

When the phone calls didn't work, she started turning up at our homes. She continued spewing much of the same poo poo she had over the phone and before the wedding. She didn't understand what she'd done so wrong, why we were treating her like this. She called me ungrateful and disrespectful. She accused us of harbouring 'unnecessary jealousy' towards Erin and that she loved us all equally. I didn't respond to these comments. I was just trying to prevent her from going inside and saying the same things to Nadia, who was with my partner and son in the living room. Her comments didn't deserve a response, and when she was done I asked her to leave as calmly as I could, but truthfully, I felt a little like crying. But who wouldn't feel lovely with their mom yelling in their face like that, trying to downplay years of pain and calling it 'unnecessary jealousy?'

My siblings and I have been let down time and time again by her and our dad ever since Erin was born. They missed out on so many things over the years, both big and small. But we had one thing. One thing. One thing that they never missed and we were happy with just that one thing, and that was our HS Graduations, but they couldn't give that to Nadia. All we had were our HS Graduations. They missed Josh's college graduation because Erin broke her leg. It was an accident, I get that, but they never made it up to him. They never celebrated this huge achievement afterwards, and he just had to grin and bear it. Our Mom didn't turn up to my partner's babysitter after making such a huge fuss about it because Erin didn't want to go and wanted them to get their nails done together instead.

But our jealousy is unnecessary?

Sorry.

I don't know how I managed to stay calm when she was yelling at me, but I did. Asking her to leave made her switch tactics though, and she started calling out for my son, trying to coax him to go to her and telling me that she had a right to see her grandson. My partner stepped in then, because she was seething, and took my place at the door. Mom yelled some more but she left when my partner threatened to call the cops.

Mom repeated this song and dance with my older siblings but similarly got nowhere with them.

Then came the Facebook posts. Indirect rants about ungrateful people and how shocking it is that 'some kids' could turn against their parents so easily. Erin somehow got involved while on her honeymoon and called Lydia to scold her for being mean to our mom. But as I've said before, Lydia is angry and she's had enough. Whatever she said to Erin prevented her from calling the rest of us.

There was then a Facebook post about how much it hurt to be kept from a grandchild. Now, there were no names mentioned, but there is only one grandchild and that is my son. My mom's sister called me. There was yelling. I blocked the number.

I know Dad was trying to convince our Mom to just... leave us alone. He kept apologizing because she just wasn't listening to him.

Erin came home after two weeks. She tried reaching out to Lydia again, asking for us all to talk because, and this is a quote from Lydia, 'clearly you (we) all have some issues to work out.' We did not turn up. Erin was very angry at that because she's not used to us turning up for her.

July wasn't all bad though. While our Mom was on a rampage, our Dad was still trying to do better by us. And he's improved a lot! In July, he and I went out for a meal together, just the two of us, and grabbed a drink, and he apologized. It wasn't a generic apology that he could've repeated to all of us, about how he's sorry that he hurt us and neglecting us, but he brought up specific instances that he wanted to apologize for. He thought back on all those years and picked out moments that he wanted to apologize to me for. I know he did the same for the others, but having him apologize for things like cancelling a fishing trip because Erin 'needed him' was something I wasn't expecting.

And I never really cared for fishing, but I wanted to go on that trip because I always saw it on TV, you know? I'd always see a dad and son fishing together and I wanted to have that. I wanted dad to prove that I was a priority to him somewhere deep down. It didn't happen, and I never asked again.

But we went fishing in July. What started as a trip between the two of us soon grew into a family day out when my siblings expressed an interest in going fishing, too. My brothers first, then Nadia, and even Lydia who hates the smell of fish. Dad brought Lexie and I brought my son, and it was great. It was one of the best days of my life. I suck at fishing, but I'm pretty great at collecting seashells. It was brilliant.

Our parents did end up arguing when Dad went home. I wasn't there, so I don't know every little detail, but from what Dad told me, the argument was mostly because Mom didn't understand why we were still in contact with him and not her. She found it insulting that we were repairing our relationship with him. She was angry that Dad wasn't pushing us to forgive her, or why he wasn't stopping us from 'acting out.' She was angry that he didn't extend an invitation to her and Erin for the fishing trip, and she was even angrier when he explained that their presence would make us uncomfortable.

Josh turned 29 and the end of July. We booked an escape room for the five of us siblings, then we met our dad and partners for dinner that evening. Josh introduced us to his new partner for the first time. All of our attention was on Josh, the day was completely about him, which was a first for our family. Then there was a party thrown for him by his friends which I came out of with a massive hangover.

Mom started giving us the silent treatment in the middle of August. Dad moved out in September. While we were getting the silent treatment, Dad was baring the brunt of her anger and it really took it out of him. He was trying to do better by us and she was trying to villainise us, and he ultimately told her that if she didn't take accountability for her actions soon, then he'd be contacting a lawyer. Mom didn't take him seriously. He's been staying in Lydia's guest room since. Mom doubled down and said that he was blind for not seeing how we were manipulating him. Unlike the rest of us, Dad obviously still has regular contact with Erin—and according to him, she's even told Mom to reconsider. Unsurprisingly, Erin's involvement is what got Mom to relent. I'm not sure if she's thinking about how she's treated us, or if she's silently stewing. I know she asked Dad if he's going to move back home but he said that it was better for them to have space right now. Personally, I'm struggling to see an outcome where our Mom sincerely admits that she was in the wrong. I think she'll say it just to get Dad back home and the rest of us talking to her again. I don't think she'll ever hold us to the same level as Erin.

In brighter news, there's officially less than a year left until my own wedding. Currently, there is no place for my mom or Erin. My partner Jade and I are having our fathers wear ties that match me and my groomsmen, something I originally didn't plan to do, but I'm happy with the change. Nadia's settled in at college. She's made some new friends with kids in her classes, and she's enjoying. She's happy. Even though we have an active group chat, she facetimes me every few days just to talk. Most of what she says I've already read in the gc, but I'm always willing to listen to her stories again. Nadia never used to talk this much. She looks a lot happier now than she did five months ago.

I think that's everything. I'm sorry for the novel, but like I said, a lot can happen in five months.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

edgeman83 posted:

The worst offender I've known was like this, even one step beyond anyone else I've seen. He was university faculty, and he found "Dr." disrespectful, actually, because it dismissed the work that went into becoming "Professor". And of course we all found that out because he regularly cc'd his email conversations out to his entire department, so everyone was well aware of hapless undergrads whose respectful emails weren't respectful enough.

He was a piece of work in every way, up to and including being retirement age while having a string of questionable relationships with the female TAs that worked for him. I think everyone hated him, as far as I know he pretty much only stayed there through a combination of tenure and bringing in large research grants.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

mania posted:

Enjoy!

UPDATE 2: WIBTA if I skipped my sister's wedding?
Yeaaaah, that's the stuff :yum: much obliged!
Mom and Erin can share an acid vat.

Agaragon
Nov 16, 2018
I had a Latin teacher in high school who was so chill about the Dr. title that it was like a month into the class before we learned he even had a doctorate. Someone in a higher level class than us came by and called him Doc. We thought they meant like Looney Toons until he clarified.

Tobermory
Mar 31, 2011

edgeman83 posted:

Yeah, I have a buddy with an MD and a specialty in radiology, but his first name is Dre. You can see him die a little inside every time someone makes the joke.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

AITA For refusing to draw my nieces artwork for an assignment/contest she had at school?

quote:

I’m a 17 yr old female who is ok at art and or creating things so I get asked from family and others to do stuff art related for them a lot. I usually don’t mind and do it for them sometimes for money and sometimes for free so they’re pretty comfortable asking me for art favors.

(Since I don’t want to ramble too much I’ll get to the point) My sister K (30) asked me to do my nieces J (8) artwork for her school contest so she could win. I told her no because I don’t feel comfortable being used to cheat so my niece could win a contest when she could draw something herself and it would feel more rewarding if she won that way. After that she totally blew up in my face saying that I didn’t want to do it because I hated her kid and that since I’m her auntie I should just do it.

A little context before I show why you might think I’m an rear end in a top hat: I love my niece but her mom hands everything to her on a silver platter. She could ask for the clothes off some girls back and her mom would give it to her. Now because of this I have gotten into lots of verbal arguments with her mom about how spoiled she was and how her mom just pretends not to see it so ever since then she’s just concluded that since I “didn’t have as much stuff as her” I was jealous and hated her kid.

Because of all of this I still refused regardless of what she said and I told her “The world isn’t fair and she has to learn that. If she doesn’t win this art contest it won’t be the end of the world she’ll be fine” She flipped out some more and then told my mom who flipped out EVEN HARDER. I was called selfish and weird but imo they’re the ones who asked me so I have a right to refuse.

I know depending on who reads this I’m gonna sound like someone who just needs to suck it up but I swear it goes much deeper than this post.

I know reddits a ruthless place which is why I’m asking y’all…AITA?

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Mx. posted:

AITA For refusing to draw my nieces artwork for an assignment/contest she had at school?

The sister has a great plan, because it hinges upon either an 8 year old entering art that is way above their pay grade, or them thinking OP's skills are merely impressive for an 8 year old. I'm not sure which is funnier.

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

edgeman83 posted:

Never really ran into people fussing about the Dr. title either way even in my former existence as a biology grad student. My dad had the pretty funny story of hearing from one of my mom's friends when he got his doctorate that he was "the first PhD she wasn't in awe of", which sure deflated any ego glow he got that day :D. Though I did actually bring up the subject with one of our postdocs who I thought needed to stand up for herself a little bit more; I pointed out unlike me she HAD actually gotten the degree and was "Doctor So-And-So", so she was due at least some respect for that.

edgeman83
Jul 13, 2003
AITA for buying by son a better bicycle than the one my daughter has.

quote:

I have a daughter (16F) and a son (14M). My daughter was always into cycling and 2 years ago, I got her her first proper road bike. It was used but is excellent for her. It is from around 2010 and has a 10 speed group set (older shimano 105).

She has been doing fine with it and even joined cycling clubs, group rides and races for women and often finishes in the top five and even won a couple of times.

My son used to be into cycling as well but then kind of stopped 2 years ago but now wants to get back into it and has outgrown his old bike.

I am also into cycling and have a top of the line carbon fibre frame dura ace Di2 group set bike, although I do not race but go on longer endurance runs and bike backing with some friends. My daughter does not often join us but the few times she has her bike was fine for the task and she kept up with us.

I decided to get my son a bike that is quite similar to mine as he said he would join me bike packing etc. I know it is a little more than he needs for now but the idea is that it will suit him longer for when he does reach peak performance and I don't have to buy a new bike.

Getting such a bike for my daughter would not make a difference as obviously as a woman she can output less power and there are diminishing returns on such a high end bike. She has been winning races against such bikes on her current one. The only slight advantage would be from the disk brakes in newer bikes for her.

However I feel like she is a little jealous of her brother's new bike and she has been acting a little cold towards me since I bought it and passive aggressively talking about how she would love to have a carbon frame and electronic shifting.

AITA here? While I can afford a bike for her I don't feel like it makes sense if it will never benefit her. Even bike companies make sure that all the performance testing etc of these new components by reviewers are done by men as they can truly test the limits of the technology.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

edgeman83 posted:

death penalty

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003

edgeman83 posted:

He accidentally left off the "Reason I might BTA"

Oops, I guess technically we can't be sure of OP's gender on that one, it's never said explicitly. We'll just have to go based on context clues. :females:

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

CANADA DOESN'T GET PENS LIKE THIS

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made American Products. Bitch.

edgeman83 posted:

what a piece of poo poo

TastyAvocado
Dec 9, 2009
You guys can get extra mad if you want because FYI the carbon fibre Dura Ace Di2 bike he bought his 14 year old is very likely over $10,000.

edit: (and the bike he bought his daughter is probably $1000 tops)

TastyAvocado fucked around with this message at 03:38 on May 19, 2024

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

ApplesandOranges posted:

AITA for telling my girlfriend not to call my dad “doctor”?

This one is easy.

GF has every right to be asked to be called "doctor". Dad has every right to ask to not call him "doctor"

loving call people by the name/title that THEY want to be called. If for nothing else, for politeness sake.

HungryMedusa
Apr 28, 2003

TastyAvocado posted:

You guys can get extra mad if you want because FYI the carbon fibre Dura Ace Di2 bike he bought his 14 year old is very likely over $10,000.

As a mom myself, I'm not extra mad; I'm just extra disappointed

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

Propaniac posted:

My (24F) boyfriend (32M) told me he was a doctor. I walked in on him behind the counter at Taco Bell.

Does he insist on being called "Doctor" when you order from him?

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Sammy Davis Jr. Jr. is also in repose.

odiv posted:

I'll do this if I get the inkling that work is going to try to get a cake and have a "party" or something like that. No thank you.

Well, alright, I can understand this.

quote="InediblePenguin" post="539603590"]
wrong, it's almost always just fine from a moral standpoint to take a day off from your job and you do not have to justify it or make sure your boss thinks you have a good enough reason
[/quote]

Taking time off from work is necessary and good and people shouldn't really need to justify it, I agree. I also think making GBS threads on company time is a great pleasure and a duty for all working class people.

PetraCore posted:

What's wrong with taking your birthday off work? I usually do it since my PTO builds up, and I take about 3-4 weeks off work a year so this year I took the entire week off since it fell around the time frame I needed a vacation anyway. I've been fine working on my birthday, too.

There's nothing wrong with taking time off, I wasn't trying to suggest that and retract that part of my statement. If it happens to be on your birthday, go for it. I was just talking from my own point of view and I'd rather take time off for other reasons. Everyone should take care of themselves in their own way and whenever possible put their thumb on the scale on the side of 'life' when it comes to a work/life balance.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Mx. posted:

AITB for making my fiancé drop her friends before our wedding or else I wouldn’t marry her

pranks!

AITB : UPDATE for making my fiancée drop her friends or else I wouldn’t marry her

quote:

UPDATE: So, I talked to my fiancée. For the sake of time let’s call her M. I met M for coffee so that we could talk. This happened a few hours ago and honestly I don’t know what to do or where I stand. We met up around 9AM. I arrived about 20 minueted before she did. She sat down and we talked. About an hour went by. I told her that I felt hurt that she has prioritised her friends I’ve rme. Especially before our wedding. I told her about the car theft “prank” and how it affected me mentally and regarding my job when I was forced to be late because of this. I have brought this up before and her face looked as if she was bored. I told her this really affected me and I don’t appreciate her not taking me seriously. She rolled her eyes and told me I was being melodramatic and that her friends are more supportive than I will ever be and that is why she doesn’t prioritise me. I told her I have supported her when she lost her job, when she was kicked out by her parents, when her phone, keys and wallet were stolen by her own sister and so many other times. She brushed me off saying that I shouldn’t be listing these off as if she owed me. I never meant to do that and I apologised and expressed I just want her to be there for me. She said “I am. Always. You’re not who I thought you were asking me to do everything for you like you’re useless. Honestly, it’s pathetic”. I finally snapped and told her “you are a vile person. Cancel, the venue. You don’t deserve a wedding after everything you have done and condoned. Goodbye M”. I walked out and called her telling her I would be back in the morning to grab my things and the ring. What do I do now? I feel lost.

:smith:

FMguru posted:

Some A-1 prime entitlement on display, which OP slams down with ease

AITA for sending a price sheet to my family after not being invited to my half sister's wedding?

OP should agree to do the cake, and on the day of the wedding, just have six Walmart sheet cakes delivered to the reception venue as her "gift" to her half-sister.

quote:

Update #1: I found out the exact reason for my brother's family and I not getting invited. Three months after my sister and her soon-to-be husband got engaged, my grandmother requested my sister not invite "the sinners". It was more along the lines of: "If you don't invite your siblings you'll get a hefty portion of my will.". Don't really know what the proper term for that is, but I digress. So, my sister is catering to the needs of my racist grandmother over her own sisters. I also found out another reason(out of the many) why my brother and I where black sheep in the family. So, you see. my mother is whiter than paper. My brother and i's biological father is Lakota/Sioux native American. We were told he just left us "because that's how the savages act." when in reality, our dad died from a terminal raspatory illness that he had since he was a toddler. Some cyst type of deal? Not too sure. The hatred from them only grew further when my brother married a black woman and had my 3 nieces together. (Fourth on the way). I told jojo how hurt I was by picking money over family but I kinda expected it. She tried to offer me $50 to make the cake she wanted and I just declined. i shared this post with my brother and he is rolling while reading the comments. Also, to the people who dm'ed me to tell me that they hope i go out of business (My boss says hi btw) and that I deserved getting abused as child because I'm a snot now... F off. :) Stay awesome and brutal as ever reddit. Thank you for all of the support.

:staredog:

Pomme de Terror posted:

Expected this one to be way worse based off the title

AITA for ignoring our daughter’s inconvenient boundary?

quote:

EDIT 2: A slightly calmer update this morning. Our daughter came to talk to us, and apologised for the situation. She said she had found the transition back home hard (I get that) and had maybe become a bit territorial over her stuff while at uni. All okay. She then asked if she could please have a laundry day, and be allowed to use the machine. Her place of work is closed Mondays, so that’s now “her” day, and we’ve said that she can use the machine on other days - but if by 7am Tuesday there’s anything in the way (or any issues on any other days!) we’ll be moving her stuff. A genuine sorry goes a long way with us, and while the advice has been to hold firm, we don’t really want an issue if the situation can be resolved calmly. We’ve also made it clear that if her things DO have to be moved on any day (other than Monday which is totally hers) and we get ANY grief about it, we’ll go back to a 2 week ban and there’s no going back.

:toot:

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

boofhead posted:

It happens!

I went for a job interview at a sister company once and a guy opens the door, I'd met him a few times before, he's a mate of my mate, even had work drinks etc with him on the terrace a couple weeks prior. I'm like oh thanks man and I go to walk in but he blocks me and kind of aggressively demands to know what I want

I'm thinking, wow alright, that's pretty rude, weird but whatever. I explain I'm there for a job interview and go past, and only find out later that there are identical twins working at the same small-ish company and I'd only ever met one of them

I had one teacher for two years in high school. Near the end of the second year my twin brother came by after class and the teacher's jaw dropped. He had no idea I was a twin, he just figured half the time he said hi in the halls I wasn't feeling social.

It was a small town, we weren't used to anyone NOT knowing there were two of us so it's stuck with me.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

BrigadierSensible posted:

This one is easy.

GF has every right to be asked to be called "doctor". Dad has every right to ask to not call him "doctor"

loving call people by the name/title that THEY want to be called. If for nothing else, for politeness sake.

Of course in this case the dad didn't ask to not be called Doctor. The BF did. The BF said it made the dad uncomfortable, but never addressed it with the GF. Personally I think BF is jealous.

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!

Bruceski posted:

I had one teacher for two years in high school. Near the end of the second year my twin brother came by after class and the teacher's jaw dropped. He had no idea I was a twin, he just figured half the time he said hi in the halls I wasn't feeling social.

It was a small town, we weren't used to anyone NOT knowing there were two of us so it's stuck with me.

In college, there was a girl in my Lit class that I struck up a friendship with. I also made friends with a girl in Bio. One day I was walking back from Lit glass with Lit girl, when Bio girl walked up. I introduced them to each other, saying, "oh you guys have the same last name, do you know each other?"

They were identical twins.

That year at school I learned about something called "face blindness."

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

TIFU by showing my dick to my wife's grandparents.

quote:

So my wife and I have a very lighthearted relationship and I like to joke around all the time with her and make her laugh. I do dumb things all the time to make her roll her eyes and call me an idiot jokingly.

I was outside barbecuing with headphones on sipping a beer and listening to music. I look over and see my wife walking outside holding her phone up obviously recording me or taking a pic. I instinctively pulled my shorts down and started doing the helicopter. She immediately looked MORTIFIED and turned around quickly and went back inside. I was very confused at her face so I finished flipping burgers quickly then went inside to find her with her head in her hands on the couch with her face red. I asked her what is wrong and she told me she was video chatting with her grandparents (which she NEVER did before) and showing them around our home and showing them me barbecuing. I have never met them before and have only seen pictures. To say I am embarrassed is an understatement.

TL:DR I thought wife was taking a pic or filming me with her phone and I flashed my penis at her as a joke but she was on a video call with her grandparents from another country who I have never met

3 days later ...

quote:

Well Reddit friends... Her grandparents certainly did not just ignore this and pretend it didn't happen as I wished.

My wife called them back last night and luckily I wasn't home but got the details of their conversation from her. She said that literally the first thing they said after saying hi is "do Canadian men often do this with their body?" (They are from a small country and have no exposure to western media or people) My wife explained to them that I was just joking and tried to explain the humor behind it. She said that she had a hard time not laughing while explaining this to them because they both had faces with extreme concern the whole time. They said that they discussed what they seen with others in their village and their neighbors were concerned that I was some vulgar animal or something. Wife didn't really understand the words they used in translation. Anyways, long story short, we are going to visit them next spring and I am not looking forward to it. Hopefully we can video chat a few times before then so it won't be weird. And yes. Before you say it. I will keep he chopper in the hanger for all these calls :P

TL:DR Wife had another call with her grandparents and they were concerned about my actions but she explained it to them the best she could how it was supposed to be funny. We're going to visit them in the spring next year.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

If it walks like a vulgar animal and helicopters it's ween like a vulgar animal....

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

BrigadierSensible posted:

This one is easy.

We’ve found the adjunct faculty who affects a fake accent and a cloak

trickybiscuits
Jan 13, 2008

yospos

idiotsavant posted:

lol some of you have never been to a fun wedding before and it really shows

like, the kind where people don't get obliterated but maybe have a few too many to drive, and the grandparents/parents all go home early and everyone else stays and dances and has a good time until 2 am, to the point where it's so much nicer to just go upstairs to your hotel room and crash out vs taking an hour-long uber home at like 3 in the morning

it's actually fun to get various shades of drunk with good friends and have a big party to celebrate your other friends getting married, and while you can also have a big party and celebrate your friends without drinking, it's a different kind of thing - driving home afterwards is perfectly acceptable, for one. it's perfectly reasonable that people should know what kind of party they're showing up to.

This was my cousin's wedding last month. Beautiful ceremony, then dinner, dancing, drinking, and loads of fun. It was wonderful.

Malachite_Dragon posted:

Yeaaaah, that's the stuff :yum: much obliged!
Mom and Erin can share an acid vat.
To quote Jane Austen, "on one side no affection, on the other no judgment, it may be reasonably supposed that their tempers became their mutual punishment."

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

edgeman83 posted:

Wow. A 12 year old bycicle for a 16 year old and the justification is biotruths

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

Moon Slayer posted:

TIFU by showing my dick to my wife's grandparents.

3 days later ...

am I the only person who calls this a "helicockter"?
seems so obvious